Best tires for the C-Max??

mnrobitaille

Just an FYI ... There are actually 2 different Michelin Energy Saver A/S in 225/50R17.  One, the OE tire, is rated for 51psi max, the other is rated at 44psi Max.  The OE tire has an "A" temperature rating vs. the "B" for the other tire.  Just be sure you get the right tire when replacing.   Interestingly, the one rated for 44psi max actually has a higher load rating (1477# vs. 1433# for the OE tire). See this link http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/size/225/50/17/OE/BNW/energy-saver-a-s/tire-details#techspecs for the Michelin web site and the difference between the two tires.

Also, I have over 50k on my tires and am hoping to get another 10k before replacing.  Very happy with the tire, but I don't usually by Michelin due to cost.  Michelin's are VERY expensive.  Tire rack lists the OE Michelin's at $183ea vs. $129ea for the Goodyear Assurance featuring Fuel Max or $140ea for the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology.  That is a difference of $172 (Continental) to $240 (Goodyear) for a set of 4.  Even at $3/gallon for gas that $160-$240 will buy 57-80 gallons of gas over the life of the tire.  Doing some quick math, as long as the Goodyear's can get within 9% of the fuel economy of the Michelin's, the Goodyears would save me money over the life of the tire (also, the Goodyear's are warranted for 65,000 miles vs. 55,000 for the Michelin's, Continental's are 70,000 mile tires).  Just my $0.02.

Edited by HannahWCU

Just an FYI ... There are actually 2 different Michelin Energy Saver A/S in 225/50R17.  One, the OE tire, is rated for 51psi max, the other is rated at 44psi Max.  The OE tire has an "A" temperature rating vs. the "B" for the other tire.  Just be sure you get the right tire when replacing.   Interestingly, the one rated for 44psi max actually has a higher load rating (1477# vs. 1433# for the OE tire). See this link http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/size/225/50/17/OE/BNW/energy-saver-a-s/tire-details#techspecs for the Michelin web site and the difference between the two tires.

Also, I have over 50k on my tires and am hoping to get another 10k before replacing.  Very happy with the tire, but I don't usually by Michelin due to cost.  Michelin's are VERY expensive.  Tire rack lists the OE Michelin's at $183ea vs. $129ea for the Goodyear Assurance featuring Fuel Max or $140ea for the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology.  That is a difference of $172 (Continental) to $240 (Goodyear) for a set of 4.  Even at $3/gallon for gas that $160-$240 will buy 57-80 gallons of gas over the life of the tire.  Doing some quick math, as long as the Goodyear's can get within 9% of the fuel economy of the Michelin's, the Goodyears would save me money over the life of the tire (also, the Goodyear's are warranted for 65,000 miles vs. 55,000 for the Michelin's, Continental's are 70,000 mile tires).  Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the math, we'll (probably) be getting the Goodyear's in a few weeks.

Getting REALLY good mpg is fun at the coffee shop once a month.

Really low pennies per mile is fun every day :clapping:

I'm staying with the OE Michelins. Tires are about the only thing we have a choice over (and oil) for our cars and I feel the extra money should be worth it.  They're the only thing between us and the road!  We put new Michelins on our Fit about 3 years ago and soon after hit a monster tire eating pot hole on the N Main St bridge heading into Ft Worth.  There was a huge "bang" but not from the tire - its still going.  Just waiting now for the next $70 "sale".  (And this time we're going to spend the money before time runs out!  :gaah:  )

When I bought my car used, I realized that the previous owner did not rotate the tires, I wanted to be sure I had good tires for the winter so I ended up trying these..

Cinturato P7 All Season Plus:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=25VR7CP7ASP&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=C-MAX%20Hybrid&autoModClar=SEL

..although I bought them from a local shop.

They are supposedly low rolling resistance tires but I've noticed that the hybrid powertrain has to work harder because the tires seem "stickier" than the OEMs. 

Even though I figure the engine is working harder, curiously enough my MPG gauge shows in the 40MPG range all the time.

They are beautiful tires, the cornering is great, and other than a tiny bit of slip when you first get started they seem to work great in light snow.  I am glad I have them for the winter but even so, I will probably buy OEMs next time because I miss being able to coast around town easily.

Low Rolling Resistance are absolutely critical for hybrids..learned that lesson the hard way.

Edited by jestevens

When I bought my car used, I realized that the previous owner did not rotate the tires, I wanted to be sure I had good tires for the winter so I ended up trying these..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=25VR7CP7ASP

They are supposedly low rolling resistance tires but I've noticed that the hybrid powertrain has to work harder because the tires seem "stickier" than the OEMs. 

Curious as to why you choose 235/55R17 over the stock 225/50R17?  Or did you link to the wrong size?  The reason I ask is the 235/55R17 is NOT a LLR tire but the 225/50R17 is (at least it isn't marked as a LLR in that size on Tire Rack).  Also with a slightly wider (by 0.3") and taller tire (1.3"), you effectively have taller gearing and your speedometer is off also (recording slightly lower speeds, 60MPH displayed is ~62.7MPH actual, and lower mileage than you are actually driving). 

Sorry, I think above link was wrong, I did install the 225/50R17 .. 

Here is an updated link ..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=25VR7CP7ASP&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2013&autoModel=C-MAX%20Hybrid&autoModClar=SEL

I was able to find a local shop that gave a little bit of a discount.

I updated the link in the original post as well.

Even though I figure the engine is working harder, curiously enough my MPG gauge shows in the 40MPG range all the time.

They are beautiful tires, the cornering is great, and other than a tiny bit of slip when you first get started they seem to work great in light snow.  I am glad I have them for the winter but even so, I will probably buy OEMs next time because I miss being able to coast around town easily.

Low Rolling Resistance are absolutely critical for hybrids..learned that lesson the hard way.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

They got nice ratings on Tire Rack.

As Paul shared, Tire Rack has tested our tire against the likely competitors, and it not only performs the best of them all in fuel economy, but is a strong performer in pretty much every category, across the board. Others may shine in one category but not in others. For instance, the Yokohama db Super E-Spec corners well in the dry, but it's a summer tire not approved for driving in near-freezing temperatures or snow. The Bridgestone Ecopia does well in the wet, but not as well in the dry.

Switching to a non-green tire line brings a non-trivial hit to MPG (I believe it was like a 7.5% drop for a Goodyear ComforTred vs the Michelin Energy Saver A/S), but as Hannah points out, you can do the math and see how that pencils out for you.

OEMs sometimes skimp on tires, but not in this case -- it seems like Ford spent top dollar to get the best all-around tire they could buy for a hybrid application. 

Yes, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got good ratings on Tire Rack, and the traction in light snow/slush is nice - I am glad I have them this winter, they are a nice tire.  Having said all of that, even though they are listed as a low rolling resistance tire they still put more load on the drivetrain than the OEM tires.  I can't "glide" around town as easily as I used to.  For that reason the next set I get will probably be OEM again.

As for trying non-LRR tires - don't do it, you will be disappointed.  Hybrids need LRR tires in order to gain maximum efficiency. 

I installed a set of regular BF Goodrich traction T/A tires on my prius once, took them back to the tire shop within 15 minutes of test driving afterward; thankfully they were willing to swap the tires since LRRs were higher priced. 

Yes, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got good ratings on Tire Rack, and the traction in light snow/slush is nice - I am glad I have them this winter, they are a nice tire.  Having said all of that, even though they are listed as a low rolling resistance tire they still put more load on the drivetrain than the OEM tires.  I can't "glide" around town as easily as I used to.  For that reason the next set I get will probably be OEM again.

As for trying non-LRR tires - don't do it, you will be disappointed.  Hybrids need LRR tires in order to gain maximum efficiency. 

I installed a set of regular BF Goodrich traction T/A tires on my prius once, took them back to the tire shop within 15 minutes of test driving afterward; thankfully they were willing to swap the tires since LRRs were higher priced. 

I wonder how a combination of a tire like the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on the front and the OEM tires on the back would work out. 

I am not used to a new car getting really good tires.  I am used to getting excited about replacing the original tires to get an even better ride.  That certainly was the case with my last two mini-vans.

It would be nice if the OEM tires had a higher UTQG.

... It would be nice if the OEM tires had a higher UTQG.

You're not happy with a 480 A A rating? Tough crowd!

One thing to consider is that rolling resistance is a function of tread thickness, and so tread depth. The OEM tires are spec'ed with 9.5/32" of tread, so 6.5/32" usable tread. A tire with 12/32" of tread has 9/32" of usable tread, nearly 40% more rubber. It ought to last longer, but it won't roll near as easily as the OEM tire does.

Lots of other factors involved, but I give the OEM tire props for making the life it does, while dissipating as little energy as it does.

Have fun,

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

Since I bought a CMAX this year and knew I would drive it a few years, I invested in a second set of tires and bought the Michelin xICE xi3 tires with a set of additional wheels from Costco so that I will not need to remount the tires each season when I switch them off.  I have really enjoyed Michelin tires which I know is one of the few made in single tire molds rather than sections.  Over the winter season, my mileage on the dashboard dropped from about 44.9 miles to 40.5 with the snow tires.  However, I have noticed that they have minimized the time when I could not access my garage's back alley to just during the aftermath of a storm.  I definitely have added piece of mind driving in winter weather with the xICE tires.  I suppose for the summer months, I should just go back to the energy saver OEM tires, but I'm also curious whether the Michelin premier is advisable as it appears to score better than the energy savers in every category but average mileage.

Since I bought a CMAX this year and knew I would drive it a few years, I invested in a second set of tires and bought the Michelin xICE xi3 tires with a set of additional wheels from Costco so that I will not need to remount the tires each season when I switch them off.  I have really enjoyed Michelin tires which I know is one of the few made in single tire molds rather than sections.  Over the winter season, my mileage on the dashboard dropped from about 44.9 miles to 40.5 with the snow tires.  However, I have noticed that they have minimized the time when I could not access my garage's back alley to just during the aftermath of a storm.  I definitely have added piece of mind driving in winter weather with the xICE tires.  I suppose for the summer months, I should just go back to the energy saver OEM tires, but I'm also curious whether the Michelin premier is advisable as it appears to score better than the energy savers in every category but average mileage.

Consumer Reports gives the xICE the highest rating for rolling resistance, so I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

Consumer Reports gives the xICE the highest rating for rolling resistance, so I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

I guess NavyRuss could use them this Summer and compare MPG's from last year.  IMO :)

Paul

...I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

+1

I see no change when mounting or dismounting snows, just the normal temperature effect.

Mileage comparison summer v winter tires.pdf

This data is from a rural route with little traffic, zoomed in on the temperature range where both snows and summer tires were used at the same ambient temperatures. I see no shift in mileage; the trend lines for each case overlap.

HAve fun,

Frank

PS I know it's not 2104...

• 3 months later...

Just to add something regarding tires. I have a C-max NRG but I'll add my experience with both the Michelins and Contis on my Avalon Hybrid. I put on the Contis because I thought the stock LRR Michelins sucked in every area but mpg. So I bought the LRR version of the Contis for the Avalon and couldn't be happier.

When the stock Michelins are dead on my NRG, I'll go with the Contis. I got equal or better mpg on my Avalon. Handling was VASTLY improved, road noise was better, less shock transmitted from the road, clearly better rain, snow and ice capability. The car was driven in cold Minnesota winters with a fair amount of snow.

I had to climb a fairly steep hill to my house. Unplowed with about 2-4" of snow I could never make it up on the Michelins. On the Contis I could actually make it up. Going down the hill on the Michelins was a terror inducing ride in the winter. Contis were much more controllable. The Avalon became pretty close to "sporty" in its road manners after the change. It made such a difference in the car I am almost tempted to swap on the tires on my C-max but there are only about 5k on the Michelins so I see no rush to replace them quite yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Some reviews of tires from C-Max owners

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=C-MAX+Hybrid&autoYear=2014&autoModClar=SE&commentStatus=P&additionalComments=Y&index=0&category=vehicle

One interesting note from one of the reviews

"With traction control off, tires will do slightly better in snow, but Ford buries that option deep in the menu (shameful and dangerous)."

I am not sure that this is the case in all situations but if I am ever stuck I might try this.  Last year I feared I was going to get stuck on some icy snow on a slanted parking lot, but I realized that with traction control I just needed take it slow and let the car do the work, can't use the same rocking skills I learned on older cars.  ( I do have a set of cable chains, if stuck )

My impression from reading the reviews - the OEM Michelin's get great mileage.  

I will probably be getting a pair of new tires for the front before the winter driving.

I am hoping to see some tires come out that rival the Michelin or do better.  I was reading somewhere that it is not hard to make tires that have low rolling resistance, but it is challenging to do it and have comfort and handling and safety.

Edited by obob

The P7s on page 2 ended up being a fairly good tire, they were decent in the winter time for this area (we only get a few inches of snow at a time here, unlike further North).  They slip a tiny bit when you get going but once they bite into the road they are pretty good.  The computer routinely shows 39/40MPG on the display.  They are supposed to be LRR but I still think they are more "sticky" than the OEM tires and would probably replace with OEM again once these wear out. Proper LRR tires are critical for hybrid performance.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at new tires at only 26.8k miles (which is very strange given others' experiences here) for a few reasons, and looking for advice on whether you would replace right now or wait a few months.  I think my high % of local driving on EV only (98.7 mpg total is a lot of EV driving) and being an EV lead foot around town contribute to this premature tire wear.  I'm probably going to go with the original Michelins that are available at my local Costco with a $70/4 discount this month.  A few notes:

1.  I just came back from a long road trip from Oakland to Portland and back over Labor Day weekend and got a nail in a tire causing a slow leak.  I've always noticed this happens more frequently as the tire nears time for replacement.

2.  Front tires are about 2/32s, rear 4/32s.  Nail hole was plugged in driver's rear tire, so that makes me a little more wary about rotating this one to the front - don't trust plugs as much on a front tire that is pretty worn out.

3.  Rainy winter coming in CA and another road trip in October (but there shouldn't be rain on this trip - just going to Central Coast)

4.  I like to run the pressure up to max sidewall pressure, at least for long road trips, and that plug + max PSI don't give me as much confidence as an unplugged tire.

So, would you replace now?  Going with the Michelins for the general Costco reasons (plus credit on my Costco AmEx) and the $70 sale that ends Sept. 30th.

Thanks,

Joe

I'm looking at new tires at only 26.8k miles (which is very strange given others' experiences here) for a few reasons, and looking for advice on whether you would replace right now or wait a few months.  I think my high % of local driving on EV only (98.7 mpg total is a lot of EV driving) and being an EV lead foot around town contribute to this premature tire wear.  I'm probably going to go with the original Michelins that are available at my local Costco with a $70/4 discount this month.  A few notes:

1.  I just came back from a long road trip from Oakland to Portland and back over Labor Day weekend and got a nail in a tire causing a slow leak.  I've always noticed this happens more frequently as the tire nears time for replacement.

2.  Front tires are about 2/32s, rear 4/32s.  Nail hole was plugged in driver's rear tire, so that makes me a little more wary about rotating this one to the front - don't trust plugs as much on a front tire that is pretty worn out.

3.  Rainy winter coming in CA and another road trip in October (but there shouldn't be rain on this trip - just going to Central Coast)

4.  I like to run the pressure up to max sidewall pressure, at least for long road trips, and that plug + max PSI don't give me as much confidence as an unplugged tire.

So, would you replace now?  Going with the Michelins for the general Costco reasons (plus credit on my Costco AmEx) and the $70 sale that ends Sept. 30th.

Thanks,

Joe

Just checked mine.  I have about 21k on mine they have been rotated twice.  I keep the air at 38 psi.  Tread appears to have 3-4/16 left.

I would swap fronts with rear and lower pressure.  What does the total come to at Costco?

Have you been drag racing with a prius?  ;)

I'm amazed that you could wear your tires out so fast.  I guess you are OK if you don't run into any water, you would hydroplane pretty easily. 

I like to corner kind of fast trying not to lose to much energy, my wife hangs on to the door handle. LOL  When you get your tires replaced make sure to have your alignment done. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones