Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best tires for the C-Max??

Tires suggestions/recommendations

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,044 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

Talking general all-season tires-- I was delighted to see that the car came with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires.  I'm curious if someone has also used the Premier A/S tires on a CMAX.  Michelin's site seems to rate the Premier all season with the same or higher numbers in virtually every category but fuel efficiency.  (Primacy has a 9 but Energy Saver has a 10).  When it comes time to replace the tires on my used CMAX, would I want to try the Primacy A/S instead of the Energy Saver A/S?  Will the loss of fuel efficiency be so great on the primacy that I will want to stick with the energy saver model?

Has anyone done any testing? I really hate to give up any MPG's and with 90Kmi I can't complain about the tires in any conditions, snow, rain and Hot. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

Talking general all-season tires-- I was delighted to see that the car came with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires.  I'm curious if someone has also used the Premier A/S tires on a CMAX.  Michelin's site seems to rate the Premier all season with the same or higher numbers in virtually every category but fuel efficiency.  (Primacy has a 9 but Energy Saver has a 10).  When it comes time to replace the tires on my used CMAX, would I want to try the Primacy A/S instead of the Energy Saver A/S?  Will the loss of fuel efficiency be so great on the primacy that I will want to stick with the energy saver model?

The only way to know is to try em. Tires are a personal preference and most people have such a difference

of opinion, it's hard to know without testing them for yourself. IMO, MPG's are more important.

It's a green car that handles well, but it's not a race car. Why worry about 2% better grip with a higher MPG hit.

I purchased mine for an economical purpose, so the OE tires will be replaced with the same, unless

something better comes along by then. These tires a perfect for my use and they seem to be wearing

good @ the 4K mark. I run 55 to 60 psi.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,044 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

The only way to know is to try em. Tires are a personal preference and most people have such a difference

of opinion, it's hard to know without testing them for yourself. IMO, MPG's are more important.

It's a green car that handles well, but it's not a race car. Why worry about 2% better grip with a higher MPG hit.

I purchased mine for an economical purpose, so the OE tires will be replaced with the same, unless

something better comes along by then. These tires a perfect for my use and they seem to be wearing

good @ the 4K mark. I run 55 to 60 psi.

You mean at 4K you actually have tire wear, LOL, I got 64K out of mine. :lol: :lol2:

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   drdiesel1

drdiesel1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationMonterey CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

You mean at 4K you actually have tire wear, LOL, I got 64K out of mine. :lol: :lol2:

Paul

:lol:  Okay!  Lack of wear :hat_tip:

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,527 posts
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

I have 35k on Maxus and plenty of tread left, I plan to buy more of these tires when the time comes.

Edited by mtb9153, 06 February 2015 - 07:53 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#26 OFFLINE   HannahWCU

HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Focus Electric

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

Just an FYI ... There are actually 2 different Michelin Energy Saver A/S in 225/50R17.  One, the OE tire, is rated for 51psi max, the other is rated at 44psi Max.  The OE tire has an "A" temperature rating vs. the "B" for the other tire.  Just be sure you get the right tire when replacing.   Interestingly, the one rated for 44psi max actually has a higher load rating (1477# vs. 1433# for the OE tire). See this link http://www.michelinm...tails#techspecs for the Michelin web site and the difference between the two tires.

Also, I have over 50k on my tires and am hoping to get another 10k before replacing.  Very happy with the tire, but I don't usually by Michelin due to cost.  Michelin's are VERY expensive.  Tire rack lists the OE Michelin's at $183ea vs. $129ea for the Goodyear Assurance featuring Fuel Max or $140ea for the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology.  That is a difference of $172 (Continental) to $240 (Goodyear) for a set of 4.  Even at $3/gallon for gas that $160-$240 will buy 57-80 gallons of gas over the life of the tire.  Doing some quick math, as long as the Goodyear's can get within 9% of the fuel economy of the Michelin's, the Goodyears would save me money over the life of the tire (also, the Goodyear's are warranted for 65,000 miles vs. 55,000 for the Michelin's, Continental's are 70,000 mile tires).  Just my $0.02.

Edited by HannahWCU, 10 February 2015 - 03:44 PM.

• ptjones and wab like this

#27 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Just an FYI ... There are actually 2 different Michelin Energy Saver A/S in 225/50R17.  One, the OE tire, is rated for 51psi max, the other is rated at 44psi Max.  The OE tire has an "A" temperature rating vs. the "B" for the other tire.  Just be sure you get the right tire when replacing.   Interestingly, the one rated for 44psi max actually has a higher load rating (1477# vs. 1433# for the OE tire). See this link http://www.michelinm...tails#techspecs for the Michelin web site and the difference between the two tires.

Also, I have over 50k on my tires and am hoping to get another 10k before replacing.  Very happy with the tire, but I don't usually by Michelin due to cost.  Michelin's are VERY expensive.  Tire rack lists the OE Michelin's at $183ea vs. $129ea for the Goodyear Assurance featuring Fuel Max or $140ea for the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology.  That is a difference of $172 (Continental) to $240 (Goodyear) for a set of 4.  Even at $3/gallon for gas that $160-$240 will buy 57-80 gallons of gas over the life of the tire.  Doing some quick math, as long as the Goodyear's can get within 9% of the fuel economy of the Michelin's, the Goodyears would save me money over the life of the tire (also, the Goodyear's are warranted for 65,000 miles vs. 55,000 for the Michelin's, Continental's are 70,000 mile tires).  Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the math, we'll (probably) be getting the Goodyear's in a few weeks.

Getting REALLY good mpg is fun at the coffee shop once a month.
Really low pennies per mile is fun every day :clapping:

#28 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 707 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

I'm staying with the OE Michelins. Tires are about the only thing we have a choice over (and oil) for our cars and I feel the extra money should be worth it.  They're the only thing between us and the road!  We put new Michelins on our Fit about 3 years ago and soon after hit a monster tire eating pot hole on the N Main St bridge heading into Ft Worth.  There was a huge "bang" but not from the tire - its still going.  Just waiting now for the next $70 "sale".  (And this time we're going to spend the money before time runs out!  :gaah:  )

• ptjones and drdiesel1 like this

#29 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,044 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

I got 64Kmi. from my first set of Michelin's and stayed with them, I like the MPG's to much. I would be curious as to what MPG's you get with the Goodyear Fuel Max, I put a set of the Fuel Max's on my 2007 Focus and probably gained 4-5mpg over the Pirelli's it came with. :)

Paul

#30 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 504 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:10 PM

I too am interested in how the Goodyear Fuel Max works out.  I prefer to buy American designed, engineered and manufactured tires.  ( and its name has Max in it. )

• ptjones likes this

#31 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 12 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

When I bought my car used, I realized that the previous owner did not rotate the tires, I wanted to be sure I had good tires for the winter so I ended up trying these..

Cinturato P7 All Season Plus:

http://www.tirerack....autoModClar=SEL

..although I bought them from a local shop.

They are supposedly low rolling resistance tires but I've noticed that the hybrid powertrain has to work harder because the tires seem "stickier" than the OEMs. 

Even though I figure the engine is working harder, curiously enough my MPG gauge shows in the 40MPG range all the time.

They are beautiful tires, the cornering is great, and other than a tiny bit of slip when you first get started they seem to work great in light snow.  I am glad I have them for the winter but even so, I will probably buy OEMs next time because I miss being able to coast around town easily.

Low Rolling Resistance are absolutely critical for hybrids..learned that lesson the hard way.

Edited by jestevens, 12 February 2015 - 10:28 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#32 OFFLINE   HannahWCU

HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Focus Electric

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

When I bought my car used, I realized that the previous owner did not rotate the tires, I wanted to be sure I had good tires for the winter so I ended up trying these..

http://www.tirerack....num=25VR7CP7ASP

They are supposedly low rolling resistance tires but I've noticed that the hybrid powertrain has to work harder because the tires seem "stickier" than the OEMs. 

Curious as to why you choose 235/55R17 over the stock 225/50R17?  Or did you link to the wrong size?  The reason I ask is the 235/55R17 is NOT a LLR tire but the 225/50R17 is (at least it isn't marked as a LLR in that size on Tire Rack).  Also with a slightly wider (by 0.3") and taller tire (1.3"), you effectively have taller gearing and your speedometer is off also (recording slightly lower speeds, 60MPH displayed is ~62.7MPH actual, and lower mileage than you are actually driving). 

• ptjones likes this

#33 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

Sorry, I think above link was wrong, I did install the 225/50R17 .. 

Here is an updated link ..

I was able to find a local shop that gave a little bit of a discount.

I updated the link in the original post as well.

• ptjones and HannahWCU like this

#34 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,044 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

It is amazing how much difference tires can make on fuel mileage, my daughter's Prius lost 6mpg installing Cooper LLR that the Toyota talked her into, they were cheap.  You get what you pay for, IMHO :)

Paul

#35 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 504 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

Even though I figure the engine is working harder, curiously enough my MPG gauge shows in the 40MPG range all the time.

They are beautiful tires, the cornering is great, and other than a tiny bit of slip when you first get started they seem to work great in light snow.  I am glad I have them for the winter but even so, I will probably buy OEMs next time because I miss being able to coast around town easily.

Low Rolling Resistance are absolutely critical for hybrids..learned that lesson the hard way.

http://www.tirerack....y.jsp?type=GTAS

They got nice ratings on Tire Rack.

#36 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,044 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

Here is a test Tire Rack did with Prius that had Michelin and Goodyear among others:                                                     https://www.tirerack...rgy Saver A/S_1

:) Paul

• HotPotato and Smiling Jack like this

#37 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

As Paul shared, Tire Rack has tested our tire against the likely competitors, and it not only performs the best of them all in fuel economy, but is a strong performer in pretty much every category, across the board. Others may shine in one category but not in others. For instance, the Yokohama db Super E-Spec corners well in the dry, but it's a summer tire not approved for driving in near-freezing temperatures or snow. The Bridgestone Ecopia does well in the wet, but not as well in the dry.

Switching to a non-green tire line brings a non-trivial hit to MPG (I believe it was like a 7.5% drop for a Goodyear ComforTred vs the Michelin Energy Saver A/S), but as Hannah points out, you can do the math and see how that pencils out for you.

OEMs sometimes skimp on tires, but not in this case -- it seems like Ford spent top dollar to get the best all-around tire they could buy for a hybrid application. 

• ptjones and scottwood2 like this

#38 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 128 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yes, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got good ratings on Tire Rack, and the traction in light snow/slush is nice - I am glad I have them this winter, they are a nice tire.  Having said all of that, even though they are listed as a low rolling resistance tire they still put more load on the drivetrain than the OEM tires.  I can't "glide" around town as easily as I used to.  For that reason the next set I get will probably be OEM again.

As for trying non-LRR tires - don't do it, you will be disappointed.  Hybrids need LRR tires in order to gain maximum efficiency. 

I installed a set of regular BF Goodrich traction T/A tires on my prius once, took them back to the tire shop within 15 minutes of test driving afterward; thankfully they were willing to swap the tires since LRRs were higher priced. 

• obob likes this

#39 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 504 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Yes, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus got good ratings on Tire Rack, and the traction in light snow/slush is nice - I am glad I have them this winter, they are a nice tire.  Having said all of that, even though they are listed as a low rolling resistance tire they still put more load on the drivetrain than the OEM tires.  I can't "glide" around town as easily as I used to.  For that reason the next set I get will probably be OEM again.

As for trying non-LRR tires - don't do it, you will be disappointed.  Hybrids need LRR tires in order to gain maximum efficiency. 

I installed a set of regular BF Goodrich traction T/A tires on my prius once, took them back to the tire shop within 15 minutes of test driving afterward; thankfully they were willing to swap the tires since LRRs were higher priced. 

I wonder how a combination of a tire like the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on the front and the OEM tires on the back would work out. 

I am not used to a new car getting really good tires.  I am used to getting excited about replacing the original tires to get an even better ride.  That certainly was the case with my last two mini-vans.

It would be nice if the OEM tires had a higher UTQG.

#40 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,303 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

... It would be nice if the OEM tires had a higher UTQG.

You're not happy with a 480 A A rating? Tough crowd!

One thing to consider is that rolling resistance is a function of tread thickness, and so tread depth. The OEM tires are spec'ed with 9.5/32" of tread, so 6.5/32" usable tread. A tire with 12/32" of tread has 9/32" of usable tread, nearly 40% more rubber. It ought to last longer, but it won't roll near as easily as the OEM tire does.

Lots of other factors involved, but I give the OEM tire props for making the life it does, while dissipating as little energy as it does.

Have fun,

Frank

• ptjones, HotPotato, obob and 1 other like this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, suggestions/recommendations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·