Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best tires for the C-Max??

Tires suggestions/recommendations

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   NavyRuss

NavyRuss

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationArlington, VA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

Since I bought a CMAX this year and knew I would drive it a few years, I invested in a second set of tires and bought the Michelin xICE xi3 tires with a set of additional wheels from Costco so that I will not need to remount the tires each season when I switch them off.  I have really enjoyed Michelin tires which I know is one of the few made in single tire molds rather than sections.  Over the winter season, my mileage on the dashboard dropped from about 44.9 miles to 40.5 with the snow tires.  However, I have noticed that they have minimized the time when I could not access my garage's back alley to just during the aftermath of a storm.  I definitely have added piece of mind driving in winter weather with the xICE tires.  I suppose for the summer months, I should just go back to the energy saver OEM tires, but I'm also curious whether the Michelin premier is advisable as it appears to score better than the energy savers in every category but average mileage.

• obob likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Since I bought a CMAX this year and knew I would drive it a few years, I invested in a second set of tires and bought the Michelin xICE xi3 tires with a set of additional wheels from Costco so that I will not need to remount the tires each season when I switch them off.  I have really enjoyed Michelin tires which I know is one of the few made in single tire molds rather than sections.  Over the winter season, my mileage on the dashboard dropped from about 44.9 miles to 40.5 with the snow tires.  However, I have noticed that they have minimized the time when I could not access my garage's back alley to just during the aftermath of a storm.  I definitely have added piece of mind driving in winter weather with the xICE tires.  I suppose for the summer months, I should just go back to the energy saver OEM tires, but I'm also curious whether the Michelin premier is advisable as it appears to score better than the energy savers in every category but average mileage.

Consumer Reports gives the xICE the highest rating for rolling resistance, so I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

#43 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

Consumer Reports gives the xICE the highest rating for rolling resistance, so I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

I guess NavyRuss could use them this Summer and compare MPG's from last year.  IMO :)

Paul

#44 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,294 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

...I am thinking a substantial portion of the drop in mileage could be due to the colder temps and using the engine to heat the car.

+1

I see no change when mounting or dismounting snows, just the normal temperature effect.

Attached File  Mileage comparison summer v winter tires.pdf   34.3KB   17 downloads

This data is from a rural route with little traffic, zoomed in on the temperature range where both snows and summer tires were used at the same ambient temperatures. I see no shift in mileage; the trend lines for each case overlap.

HAve fun,

Frank

PS I know it's not 2104...

#45 OFFLINE   Taz

Taz

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMPLS and LA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Avalon Hybrid

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

Just to add something regarding tires. I have a C-max NRG but I'll add my experience with both the Michelins and Contis on my Avalon Hybrid. I put on the Contis because I thought the stock LRR Michelins sucked in every area but mpg. So I bought the LRR version of the Contis for the Avalon and couldn't be happier.

When the stock Michelins are dead on my NRG, I'll go with the Contis. I got equal or better mpg on my Avalon. Handling was VASTLY improved, road noise was better, less shock transmitted from the road, clearly better rain, snow and ice capability. The car was driven in cold Minnesota winters with a fair amount of snow.

I had to climb a fairly steep hill to my house. Unplowed with about 2-4" of snow I could never make it up on the Michelins. On the Contis I could actually make it up. Going down the hill on the Michelins was a terror inducing ride in the winter. Contis were much more controllable. The Avalon became pretty close to "sporty" in its road manners after the change. It made such a difference in the car I am almost tempted to swap on the tires on my C-max but there are only about 5k on the Michelins so I see no rush to replace them quite yet.

• obob and DEllis like this

#46 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

Some reviews of tires from C-Max owners

http://www.tirerack....ategory=vehicle

One interesting note from one of the reviews

"With traction control off, tires will do slightly better in snow, but Ford buries that option deep in the menu (shameful and dangerous)."

I am not sure that this is the case in all situations but if I am ever stuck I might try this.  Last year I feared I was going to get stuck on some icy snow on a slanted parking lot, but I realized that with traction control I just needed take it slow and let the car do the work, can't use the same rocking skills I learned on older cars.  ( I do have a set of cable chains, if stuck )

My impression from reading the reviews - the OEM Michelin's get great mileage.  

I will probably be getting a pair of new tires for the front before the winter driving.

I am hoping to see some tires come out that rival the Michelin or do better.  I was reading somewhere that it is not hard to make tires that have low rolling resistance, but it is challenging to do it and have comfort and handling and safety.

Edited by obob, 17 July 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

The P7s on page 2 ended up being a fairly good tire, they were decent in the winter time for this area (we only get a few inches of snow at a time here, unlike further North).  They slip a tiny bit when you get going but once they bite into the road they are pretty good.  The computer routinely shows 39/40MPG on the display.  They are supposed to be LRR but I still think they are more "sticky" than the OEM tires and would probably replace with OEM again once these wear out. Proper LRR tires are critical for hybrid performance.

• ptjones and obob like this

#48 OFFLINE   pureenergi

pureenergi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'm looking at new tires at only 26.8k miles (which is very strange given others' experiences here) for a few reasons, and looking for advice on whether you would replace right now or wait a few months.  I think my high % of local driving on EV only (98.7 mpg total is a lot of EV driving) and being an EV lead foot around town contribute to this premature tire wear.  I'm probably going to go with the original Michelins that are available at my local Costco with a $70/4 discount this month.  A few notes:

1.  I just came back from a long road trip from Oakland to Portland and back over Labor Day weekend and got a nail in a tire causing a slow leak.  I've always noticed this happens more frequently as the tire nears time for replacement.

2.  Front tires are about 2/32s, rear 4/32s.  Nail hole was plugged in driver's rear tire, so that makes me a little more wary about rotating this one to the front - don't trust plugs as much on a front tire that is pretty worn out.

3.  Rainy winter coming in CA and another road trip in October (but there shouldn't be rain on this trip - just going to Central Coast)

4.  I like to run the pressure up to max sidewall pressure, at least for long road trips, and that plug + max PSI don't give me as much confidence as an unplugged tire.

So, would you replace now?  Going with the Michelins for the general Costco reasons (plus credit on my Costco AmEx) and the $70 sale that ends Sept. 30th.

Thanks,

Joe

#49 OFFLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 377 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

I'm looking at new tires at only 26.8k miles (which is very strange given others' experiences here) for a few reasons, and looking for advice on whether you would replace right now or wait a few months.  I think my high % of local driving on EV only (98.7 mpg total is a lot of EV driving) and being an EV lead foot around town contribute to this premature tire wear.  I'm probably going to go with the original Michelins that are available at my local Costco with a $70/4 discount this month.  A few notes:

1.  I just came back from a long road trip from Oakland to Portland and back over Labor Day weekend and got a nail in a tire causing a slow leak.  I've always noticed this happens more frequently as the tire nears time for replacement.

2.  Front tires are about 2/32s, rear 4/32s.  Nail hole was plugged in driver's rear tire, so that makes me a little more wary about rotating this one to the front - don't trust plugs as much on a front tire that is pretty worn out.

3.  Rainy winter coming in CA and another road trip in October (but there shouldn't be rain on this trip - just going to Central Coast)

4.  I like to run the pressure up to max sidewall pressure, at least for long road trips, and that plug + max PSI don't give me as much confidence as an unplugged tire.

So, would you replace now?  Going with the Michelins for the general Costco reasons (plus credit on my Costco AmEx) and the $70 sale that ends Sept. 30th.

Thanks,

Joe

Just checked mine.  I have about 21k on mine they have been rotated twice.  I keep the air at 38 psi.  Tread appears to have 3-4/16 left.

I would swap fronts with rear and lower pressure.  What does the total come to at Costco?

Have you been drag racing with a prius?  ;)

#50 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:28 PM

I'm amazed that you could wear your tires out so fast.  I guess you are OK if you don't run into any water, you would hydroplane pretty easily. 

I only that corners kinda fast trying not to lose to much energy, my wife hangs on to the door handle. LOL  When you get your tires replaced make sure to have your alignment done. :)

Paul

#51 OFFLINE   HannahWCU

HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Focus Electric

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:33 PM

So I replaced my tires at 60,332 Miles.  Still had tread left on them (but I had other reasons for replacing):

Tires.jpg

Contrary to my previous post, I went with the Michelin Premier A/S.  My wife drives this car now, and I put a lot of emphasis on hydroplaning resistance and wet weather traction.  This tire is designed to maintain those qualities throughout their life.  After 6 fill-ups, it looks like I did loose a measurable amount of MPG.  The 6 fill-up prior to replacing the tires I averaged 43.9MPG, the 6 fill-up since, only 40.3MPG (~8% less).  I must point out here that the tires were set at the factory recommend 38PSI and I usually ran the OEM's at 45-46PSI.  Also the Premier A/S is rated at a sidewall max of 44PSI vs. the 51PSI for the OEM tires.  I am now running about 41-42PSI in the Premier A/S.

NOTE:  The car is currently having the transmission and one half-shaft replaced which could be a source of the reduced MPG. 

Edited by HannahWCU, 11 September 2015 - 01:40 PM.

• obob likes this

#52 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,294 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

That was probably a smart thing to do. The Tire Rack ratings for the Premier line are excellent, especially the winter performance. One look at the tread pattern confirms that expectation. I hope she's happy with the "upgrade."

Frank

• HannahWCU likes this

#53 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 838 posts
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

So I replaced my tires at 60,332 Miles.  Still had tread left on them (but I had other reasons for replacing):

Tires.jpg

Contrary to my previous post, I went with the Michelin Premier A/S.  My wife drives this car now, and I put a lot of emphasis on hydroplaning resistance and wet weather traction.  This tire is designed to maintain those qualities throughout their life.  After 6 fill-ups, it looks like I did loose a measurable amount of MPG.  The 6 fill-up prior to replacing the tires I averaged 43.9MPG, the 6 fill-up since, only 40.3MPG (~8% less).  I must point out here that the tires were set at the factory recommend 38PSI and I usually ran the OEM's at 45-46PSI.  Also the Premier A/S is rated at a sidewall max of 44PSI vs. the 51PSI for the OEM tires.  I am now running about 41-42PSI in the Premier A/S.

NOTE:  The car is currently having the transmission and one half-shaft replaced which could be a source of the reduced MPG. 

Part way through the life of my FEH, I had to replace the tires. I chose a Michelin that had great grip (instantly noticeable), but not LRR. I lost about 2 MPG, which is pretty significant when the vehicle only gets 30 in town. When those wore out I went back to a LRR, and the MPG went back up.

#54 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

Transmission  problems didn't hurt my MPG's and new Trans didn't help. ;)

Paul

• HannahWCU likes this

#55 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

If gas prices remain low as-is I am willing to sacrifice a few MPGs for the added grip. I'd like to gain some braking effectiveness through better tires.

#56 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:14 PM

If gas prices remain low as-is I am willing to sacrifice a few MPGs for the added grip. I'd like to gain some braking effectiveness through better tires.

If you are using ReGen braking you don't need to stop fast, it is a waist of energy(MPG's). If you aren't getting 100% Brake Score every time, you need to change your driving style. LOL :lol2:  I don't need no stinking brakes.  :lol:  MPG's are KING :yahoo:  :shift:  Don't waist Money on Gas. :)

Paul

Paul

#57 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

I do know how to maximize regen braking and I score 100% most of the time.  However, The better tires are for peace of mind and more driving confidence in foul weather. The braking performance sucks on the CMax in emergency situation.  I think a lot of it has to do with the LRR tires.

#58 OFFLINE   pureenergi

pureenergi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Energi

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

I'm going to do the original Energy Savers with the Costco deal towards the end of the month so I get the maximum out of the ones I have on there now.  They truly do have class-leading LRR characteristics and while they are not the shortest stopping distance in the wet, they aren't awful and I've had no issues.  They still seem to be the best tires for what this car is supposed to be, although I seriously considered the Pirelli P7s and the Michelin Premier A/S.

As for what caused me the faster tire wear, I have to emphasize that I'm a serious E-leadfoot around town, generally using the EV-only acceleration to full advantage to get around city traffic and keeping it in L for relatively fast stops while still maximizing regen.  I'm much more aggressive on the acceleration part of it than the braking - I'm always trying to anticipate and maximize regen.  Once the gas engine kicks in, I'm a hyper miler.  I also run max sidewall pressure (52psi) usually, only going back down to regular PSI after the car gets serviced and the shop sets it to the lower pressure.  I leave it that way to even out tread wear, but I'll try to do it more with this new set of tires - run the lower pressure around town and only run the tire pressure high for long trips.  From what I have read on hypermiling forums, there is still higher tread wear in the center of the tire when you're running max pressure or over inflating, so this might have something to do with my "outlier" treadwear.

So, I'll keep the pressure normal except for long trips, although I'm still going to use the e-acceleration to its fullest, and then inflate to max sidewall psi only for long trips.

• obob likes this

#59 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

I'm going to do the original Energy Savers with the Costco deal towards the end of the month so I get the maximum out of the ones I have on there now.  They truly do have class-leading LRR characteristics and while they are not the shortest stopping distance in the wet, they aren't awful and I've had no issues.  They still seem to be the best tires for what this car is supposed to be, although I seriously considered the Pirelli P7s and the Michelin Premier A/S.

As for what caused me the faster tire wear, I have to emphasize that I'm a serious E-leadfoot around town, generally using the EV-only acceleration to full advantage to get around city traffic and keeping it in L for relatively fast stops while still maximizing regen.  I'm much more aggressive on the acceleration part of it than the braking - I'm always trying to anticipate and maximize regen.  Once the gas engine kicks in, I'm a hyper miler.  I also run max sidewall pressure (52psi) usually, only going back down to regular PSI after the car gets serviced and the shop sets it to the lower pressure.  I leave it that way to even out tread wear, but I'll try to do it more with this new set of tires - run the lower pressure around town and only run the tire pressure high for long trips.  From what I have read on hypermiling forums, there is still higher tread wear in the center of the tire when you're running max pressure or over inflating, so this might have something to do with my "outlier" treadwear.

So, I'll keep the pressure normal except for long trips, although I'm still going to use the e-acceleration to its fullest, and then inflate to max sidewall psi only for long trips.

I guess you missed my post about getting even wear at 50psi, 64Kmi. on first set and 42Kmi. so far on second set, think I will make 70K mi. :)

I do know how to maximize regen braking and I score 100% most of the time.  However, The better tires are for peace of mind and more driving confidence in foul weather. The braking performance sucks on the CMax in emergency situation.  I think a lot of it has to do with the LRR tires.

I haven't had a braking issue in 106Kmi. I think all around performance is fine. IMO :)

Paul

#60 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT

Posted 16 September 2015 - 09:41 PM

I drive in NYC and the nearby suburbs.  In the suburbs the drivers are mostly tame and the roads are nice.  Braking performance is never an issue and braking is more predictable.  It's an entirely different story once you are in NYC.  If I drove mostly suburbs I would find the braking performance to be adequate also.

Edited by cmax-nynj, 16 September 2015 - 09:42 PM.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, suggestions/recommendations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·