Surprise! Poor Mileage After Update = Found New Recall/Update

asb

I finally got my car into the dealership to re-download the update due to poor mileage.  When they plugged the car in to do the download, it was discovered that there was an additional update/recall that did not show on Etis or (whatever the program is they use at the shop).  They only discovered it by hooking up the car.  IDS showed there was another update, so they installed that update.  The update has no number or name and doesn't show up on anything other than IDS.  

Part of me thinks this is the part of the original download that didn't get downloaded.  Or, something else is weird.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.

They update the IDS software twice a month. Today's cars always have new software available.

Especially 1st year models.

My current version is 87.01 and should be updated today ?  I'll find out later on today.

After they update the cars software, the IDS will show the calibration ID's after the update.

Here's a sample from Aug. 19th when I updated my new car the day after I brought it home.

post-1464-0-39989100-1381869983_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

drdiesel,

Thanks for that information.  When I asked if they had downloaded the update that seemed to not be working correctly, I was told that this IDS should take care of any modules that didn't get updated properly.  Does that make sense to you?

drdiesel,

Thanks for that information.  When I asked if they had downloaded the update that seemed to not be working correctly, I was told that this IDS should take care of any modules that didn't get updated properly.  Does that make sense to you?

When you select the PCM to update, the IDS will update other "related" modules. I don't know if it actually updates all as a gateway controller ?  It probably will ?  I know it updated 5 modules the first time, I did mine.

Those modules are listed in my first post in this thread.

Edited by drdiesel1

When you select the PCM to update, the IDS will update other "related" modules. I don't know if it actually updates all as a gateway controller ?  It probably will ?  I know it updated 5 modules the first time, I did mine.

Those modules are listed in my first post in this thread.

Thanks.  I guess I'll know if my mileage starts to creep up.

Have them print the data from the IDS or at least take a photo of it :camera:

SA and tech said they had no idea what IDS was, and couldn't print anything out of the laptop... I didn't ask for a photo. However, the car was ready at 11AM, and there was no sign of signifcant fuel use. I suspect the dealer's got this process down.

That said, first trip on an established route gave benchmark mileage for the temperature, compared with pre-update - 49.7@52F. EV+ is wiped out but I get to EV above 63MPH.

HAve fun,

Frank

SA and tech said they had no idea what IDS was, and couldn't print anything out of the laptop...

HAve fun,

Frank

Really ??????????????   http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/ids/mcs/

Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS):

The Ford Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) will be the only equipment that provides complete diagnostic coverage of current and future Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles in North America. The IDS package replaces the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS). The IDS application will perform the identical functions of the WDS and allows dealership technicians to diagnose and service Ford, Lincoln, Mercury vehicles. As the new diagnostic tool, IDS will be required to perform diagnostics on future model year vehicles. One IDS Package is recommended for each WDS in the dealership.

IDS is enhanced WDS software that was modified to run on a standard laptop platform, and utilizes the VCM and VMM. Moving IDS to a laptop helps technicians by integrating access to both diagnostics and service information on a single, powerful machine.

IDS-VCM.jpg

I had my dealer print out an updated TSB from his system. It's as easy as having a printer plugged into the laptop.

Edited by drdiesel1

Yeah, that's a little suspicious.

Anyway - first day back on the highway since the update.  The very first thing I noticed is that "ICE High" is back!  I've missed that lovely thing.  I don't know what that means in the big picture, but we'll see how mileage works out over the next month.