Houston, we have a problem...

fbov

I don't know about you all, but I have a problem when an OP feels they need to withdraw all their posts from their own thread for any reason especially if they haven't posted since.

Did we lose Laurel? She seemed like a nice lady... I trust someone in authority will take a look at the sequence of preceeding events.

Remember, there are faster ways to destroy a social web site than bashing the topic product... Ford isn't Job 1 here, people are.

Have fun,

Frank

And I agree with you 100% Frank.

I don't want to see us head down a slippery slope to meanness and snarkyness. I've been on this forum since mid-December and I can count of the fingers of 1 hand (with a few fingers left over) the number of times I've been angered by a post...........until recently.

Certainly, groups grow, change, and evolve as members come and go.....we have a split between early adopters and newer owners, each with different needs and questions. But change should not come at the loss of civility.

I hope we (collectively we---as a group) can turn this back around to the positive site we all felt at home in.

Laurel will be missed, and I think you hit the nail on the head - civility.

A wise man once told me "Courtesy costs nothing, but it pays dividends." That wise man was a boy from North Ireland... teachers can appear anywhere!

HAve fun,

Frank, who will be happy if his first thread start fades into the past...

Edited by fbov

Yes, I agree. Everyone needs to remember to be civil. If someone does something or says something in a way you don't agree with, let it drop. There is no reason to get personal. I know I try really hard not to argue. Discussions are one thing arguments are something totally different. Let keep that in mind.

Edited by HannahWCU

On a closely moderated forum I am a member of, when someone posts something inappropriate or in violation of forum policies the moderator removes the words or sentence and replaces it with [xxx comment removed by moderator jones], with "xxx" replaced by the term that describes the reason, e.g. "political","obscenity","personal attack", etc..

This method is similar to painting over graffiti rather than letting it remain and hoping a "No Graffiti Allowed" sign will work.

It's unfortunate that a prolific poster would feel the need to leave the forum due to a personal attack, and I hope she comes back soon.

This is very unfortunate... I hate to see this kind of thing happen.

But I have to agree, a couple of things happened here over the past several days that have made me feel not especially welcome here or interested in continuing to be active on this forum either.  I hope it can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction soon, because I think this should be a great forum for owners of a great car.

This is very unfortunate... I hate to see this kind of thing happen.

But I have to agree, a couple of things happened here over the past several days that have made me feel not especially welcome here or interested in continuing to be active on this forum either.  I hope it can be resolved to everyone's satisfaction soon, because I think this should be a great forum for owners of a great car.

CMax-Traveler,

I'm sorry that something has happened to make you feel unwelcome. This forum was created to benefit *ALL* C-MAX owners. We have all been *first-time hybrid drivers* at one point. It should be the intention of the forum for the more seasoned driver to share what they have learned with the new owners......and there will be more and more of those.....and to continue to learn from each other.......in a non-judgemental environment.

I hope you will reconsider and stay active on the forum. Everyone's input is valued.

CMax-Traveler,

I'm sorry that something has happened to make you feel unwelcome. This forum was created to benefit *ALL* C-MAX owners. We have all been *first-time hybrid drivers* at one point. It should be the intention of the forum for the more seasoned driver to share what they have learned with the new owners......and there will be more and more of those.....and to continue to learn from each other.......in a non-judgemental environment.

I hope you will reconsider and stay active on the forum. Everyone's input is valued.

Adair,

Yeah, thanks... I'm still planning on trying to stick around.  The C-Max is actually my second hybrid, and I'm doing some pretty amazing things with this car... much of which is thanks to what I've learned on this forum from :worship: Jus, Matt, ptjones, and others.  I'm at the point where I get disappointed at any sub-50mpg trip. :happy feet:   It's fun to share successes and great to help new owners learn about their new cars.

But... when you have a legitimate question / problem, and there's someone who :airquote: knows everything and you know nothing and they're not even willing to listen to an alternative point of view, it saps your motivation to post, because you run the risk of being given a half-answer and being told (directly or indirectly) how dumb you are for even needing to ask in the first place. No thanks.  :banghead:

I'm only posting this because I really did enjoy my first several months around here, most everyone here is awesome, and you guys have done a great job of building this forum. But I don't want the whole atmosphere here to be spoiled by a few (or by one).

I have to agree with CMAX - Traveler on this. Lately, I think twice before starting a thread or giving my opinion for this very reason. However, I have been drawn into arguments online before so I am especially careful with what I post. I try my best to never make it personal.

Edited by HannahWCU

I agree. No one should be embarassed, or intimidated about asking a question. I know I asked some pretty lame one (in retrospect) when I first found this forum in late 2012. But it was only by asking that I learned. And everyone was so kind, helpful, and supportive that it encouraged me to stay around and learn even more.

I'm glad you are going to stick around. With open conversations about this issue, hopefully it will be resolved soon and we can continue to grow as a high-energy, information-rich forum to be proud to welcome :noobie: s  to.

I've been an active member of several forums, this is the 3rd that has had a problem with a member.

One of my RV and 1 motorcycle forum have had a couple of members get in arguments but they never lasted very long.

BUT

A few yrs ago on a Nissan 300ZX forum a sponsoring member (his business was selling 300ZX performance parts).
Was banned because most of his replies were one or 2 words.

"search"

... Because new members keep asking the same question.

and
"Wheel Police" the wheels on the 80's ZX are directional.

It's much happier :)  and fun to keep the links handy, greet the new member and point them in the right direction.

After SEVERAL warnings he became belligerent... he and his Co. were banned for life!

Ouch that had to hurt!

A couple of yr's ago on the Edge MKX forum a member started bashing and threatening a vendor, he was banned, signed up under a new name... was banned again.
The 3rd time seemed to convince him, but he didn't have much to contribute after that.

On that same forum a moderator seemed to be very abrupt and abrasive. I sent him a PM explain the problem and demonstrated how to use "Smiley"

The answer is here.

or

The answer is here. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that Laurel (our first Canadian Cmaxer on the site, I believe) has taken a hiatus.  I haven't been able to be on the site as much as before, so I missed whatever incident occurred.  This site, from its inception, has been a friendly, open and very helpful Cmax oasis.  For the most part, members have tried to help point the way to new owners, even if their questions have been asked 100 times.  (nothing new under the sun, etc).  I think most of us love sharing our positive experiences of our cars, as well as commiserating over the negative.  I'd like to welcome anyone who doesn't feel that way to leave.  There are enough forums out there where flaming is welcomed.  As one of the original members, I don't want this to become one of them, and I think most of you feel the same way.