Radio won't shut off

Very strange this morning. Turned of the car - no problems. Radio comes on as normal. Decide to change the channel - no luck. Turn it down - no luck. Change input via screen / steering column control - nada. Plug in USB (starts automatically) - not this time! Figured the radio would shut off when I got to work - wrong again. The only thing I guessed right is expecting my battery to be dead in 4 hours, so now (after getting a jump) sitting at my local Ford dealership getting it looked at. Never reassuring when service reps have never seen this before. Any ideas?

Same thing just happened to me today but with a cd. wont eject, power off switch to radio or sirius and no volume control. Dealership tried factory reset with no luck. want me to bring it in and leave it. when I got home I pulled the radio fuse from under the glovebox (in the owners manual) put it back after a minute and it's working ok for now.

Hi Guys , seems to me it's the Sony Premium Radio that giving all these problems, most likely also causing the battery problems too. I brought my car in Feb of this year , reg SE model with the reg stock radio and nav. I have been out of town at weeks at a time with Forita in the garage and when I get home it starts . I have always with all my vechiles before I get out is turn radio and air conditioner off. My chev pick up radio would stay on till you open door like this car and I would turn it off before. I do use the USB , but always take my flash drive out, other than that I do not really plug any thing into it like phones etc.. Just my 2 cents after reading about these problems. I do not post often, really hate typing.

Last Friday (10/11) I waited outside for somebody. I stayed in the car for like 30 minutes. The engine was shut off. Few minutes after shut off the "engine" - the radio turned off automatically (this is normal). But later on, like 10 minutes later, the CD (I guess) player buzzed as if it was changing the tracks, then there were quiet "cliks" and other noises every 10-15 seconds for around 2 minutes. Then some "puffs" and "whizzes" from behind the cockpit. The car was apparently ALIVE! Is it normal? The thing surprised me and at that time I thought that it was kinda normal for a high-tech car. BUT - is it normal? 

Edited by pjurek99

Last Friday (10/11) I waited outside for somebody. I stayed in the car for like 30 minutes. The engine was shut off. Few minutes after shut off the "engine" - the radio turned off automatically (this is normal). But later on, like 10 minutes later, the CD (I guess) player buzzed as if it was changing the tracks, then there were quiet "cliks" and other noises every 10-15 seconds for around 2 minutes. Then some "puffs" and "whizzes" from behind the cockpit. The car was apparently ALIVE! Is it normal? The thing surprised me and at that time I thought that it was kinda normal for a high-tech car. BUT - is it normal? 

I noticed some of the same noises when I was researching drdiesel1's USB problem.

Evidently the cars starts to go to sleep a few minutes after the door is shut but doesn't finish for several minutes.

I've gone back to the garage a long time after closing the car door and could hear a fan running, it's cooling the HV battery.

There's a thread about the fan buried in here somewhere.

Yep!  The computer systems will be active even when the car is off.

Some Ford models have been known to be active up to 45 min.

All modules have KAM. Keep Alive Memory. Modules can wake the system buss and cause other modules to active and check for each others signals.  Hybrids have a lot of control routines and will make all kinds of noise, new hybrid drivers don't expect.

Edited by drdiesel1

Saturday morning when I got off work, car started normally. When I turned  it off the radio stayed on. Could not adjust volume, change stations etc. Ate breakfast and when we returned to the car 45 minutes later radio was still on. About two weeks before that and the first time I went to use the blue tooth to make a call, it would not work either. We took my phone off and reinstalled it, tried my husbands phone...no luck with either one of them. This was the 1st time we tried to use blue tooth since we got the upgrade to improve the fuel mileage and the speed at which the car would operate on the battery, so I figured it was related to the upgrade. Our dealer's service department is closed on weekends but I was told to take it across the street to their oil, tire, radiator and ac department was and maybe someone there could help. They disconnected the battery and everything is working now. No one there had ever heard of this problem before. Also since our upgrade our fuel mpg is down 3-4 mpg.

Today, I took it to our dealer while the service people were there to get the issues documented. I was informed that the mpg would never get any better and that was why the check was sent. I remained nice and listened to his story about how Ford told them the new upgrade also fixed an emission issue and that resulted in our lower mpg. I told him the letter stated nothing about that and the NEW mpg rating was no where near what we were getting prior to our updates. Our vehicle does not come close to the NEW REVISED MPG's. We have an appointment for Thursday where they are going to do a upgrade on the dash, gauges etc and then will hook it up a computer and drive it for some time and see if it can diagnose anything wrong or that needs adjusting.

I really wish rather than rattle off some bs, just tell me up front they are not sure but will be glad to test it to see if they can find anything out. I was getting 39-40 before the upgrade and now 34 mpg and they can not remove the upgrade so I can go back to the old one. I asked is it possible since most of these issues happened since the upgrade, could it be that it didn't take correctly and perhaps re-install would be beneficial?. He informed me that "JUST LIKE A HOME COMPUTER, EITHER IT ALL TAKES OR NONE OF IT DOES "...Don't know about most of you, but I have installed LOTS OF MICROSOFT software and only a portion of it would take. I would uninstall and reinstall (sometimes more than once) and finally it would all take and work fine.

Guess will wait and see what their line will be come Thursday's appointment. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and even mpg of 35 I would have bought it but maybe its the FEMALE THING...YOU HAVE BREAST AND A BRAIN THEY MISJUDGE YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF CARS and they can just make up answers and think we will accept it. They misread this old gal. I generally research and have facts before I go to see what answer I will get to a problem.

CassyD, the FE upgrade did improve my mpgs.  Noticed it right away, but mostly on the highway.  As the temps are dropping my mpgs are shrinking some, but it really hasn't gotten that cold yet.  Not running the A/C is definitely helping keep them up there.

CassyD: It's true....... You can't go back to older software and the system programs, or not.

No such thing as didn't take or only some of it took. The programming control is all automated so you can't tweak anything.

The system is reset. The KAM is wiped and all the adaption data is reset. Give the car time to relearn and

build the adaption tables.  The software will improve your MPG's. Don't be hasty. Give it some time :waiting:

You should also make sure and reset your trip data and lifetime data, if they were not reset during the updates.

Edited by drdiesel1

Hi CassyD,

If it's any consolation, my MPGs dropped immediately after the upgrade too, but slowly rose over the following month. I was told that there was a *break-in* period for the upgrade, much like that of a new car, only thankfully, not as long. By the end of the summer my commuter MPGs were back to, and in some cases above, the pre-upgrade. Freeway miles, not so much. We shall see what winter brings, since some of the features are supposed to help us in colder weather.

Hang in there.....with almost all of us, the MPGs have gotten better.

Also, just curious, was it hot/warm the day you had your radio problem?

Adair

... Don't get me wrong, I love the car and even mpg of 35 I would have bought it but maybe its the FEMALE THING...

Sorry to hear you car's got bugs. You are not alone, but rest assured that we also have a thread for those of us who have no problems at all...

Here's one owners' story; you'll be happy to know he's a poster to No Problems Mon...

Baseline

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=28845

The problems start

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=29771

and are resolved

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=30434

Just don't take crap from service; there are too many of us here who haven't had to. There are a ton of features in this car, sometimes we need to learn, sometimes the car needs to learn, sometimes the dealership needs to learn...

HAve fun,

Frank

Sorry to hear you car's got bugs. You are not alone, but rest assured that we also have a thread for those of us who have no problems at all...

Here's one owners' story; you'll be happy to know he's a poster to No Problems Mon...

Baseline

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=28845

The problems start

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=29771

and are resolved

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?p=30434

Just don't take crap from service; there are too many of us here who haven't had to. There are a ton of features in this car, sometimes we need to learn, sometimes the car needs to learn, sometimes the dealership needs to learn...

HAve fun,

Frank

Well done, Frank! Thanks for putting that together for CassyD!

+2

Take a look at JohnnOhio's post # 246, 256, 269 in flob's link, do any of these symptoms sound like your's?

Then look at this thread, you might want to print post #'s 4, 5, 12 and 15 and very diplomatically give it to your service writer.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2721-ford-software-issues/?hl=13b07

Keep us updated there are some really knowledgeable people on this forum, ceemax71 and zhackwyatt are just 2.

And peolpe who can get a lot of good info in a short post :worship: fbov.

Good Luck

It was cool...probably high 50s. It shut off just fine when we got to work at 11pm but when we left at 7am that's when we noticed it. (was a light drizzle that morning)

Hi CassyD,

If it's any consolation, my MPGs dropped immediately after the upgrade too, but slowly rose over the following month. I was told that there was a *break-in* period for the upgrade, much like that of a new car, only thankfully, not as long. By the end of the summer my commuter MPGs were back to, and in some cases above, the pre-upgrade. Freeway miles, not so much. We shall see what winter brings, since some of the features are supposed to help us in colder weather.

Hang in there.....with almost all of us, the MPGs have gotten better.

Also, just curious, was it hot/warm the day you had your radio problem?

Adair

• 4 years later...