Headlights Auto on.....Auto Light Rain?

I have my headlights set to Auto On and they work beautifully, coming on at dusk and in the early morning......even coming on if I enter a stretch of overhanging trees.

The wipers are set to Auto On and they work equally well.

I also have tthe headlights set to Auto Light Rain (I've checked 3 times to be sure) and they don't come on even in a moderate to heavy rain unless I manually turn them on. (Then I have to be sure to remember to turn them back to Auto On)

What step am I missing here? Can you not have them set to both Auto On and Auto Light Rain at the same time?

Mine says:

"If you switch autolamps on in conjunction with autowipers, low

beam headlamps will illuminate automatically when the rain sensor

activates the windshield wipers continuously."

I thnk the key bit is "continuously." As long as the rain sensor keeps the wipers intermittent, headlights stay off. I'll have to take a look at the detailed operation when it rains later this week.

Have fun,

Frank

So if low beams, will the dash indicator light up? I guess I'll find out at 5...it's raining pretty hard now....but they may come on because it's pretty dim outside from the cloud cover and time of day, so maybe not a reliable indicator. I'll check that the next time it's raining in the middle of the day.

Thanks!!

I've noticed this issue to with my parents' C-Max Energi. On our FFH the headlights come on when set to auto when the wipers come on. This happens on the Fusions whether you have rain-sensing wipers or manual wipers. It makes sense that the headlights would come on in this situation since that is the law in many states including MN. However, the C-Max doesn't appear to do this. I thought it did and told my parents about how the FFH headlights come on automatically with the wipers. After they got their C-Max they said that the C-Max doesn't behave this way and sure enough it doesn't. I wonder if this is a computer error like the door chime recall.

Per Ford:

SSM 12063 - 2012-2013 Focus 2013 C-Max, Escape - Rain Light - Proper Operation

2012-2013 Focus and 2013 C-Max and Escape vehicles equipped with the Rain Light feature will not work with the wiper switch set to intermittent/delay mode by design. This feature will only work when the wiper switch is set to the low or high speed settings during daylight operation, and the headlamp switch set to Autolamp mode with a 5 to 10 second delay before headlamps/park lamps turn on. After the wiper switch is turned off, the lamps will remain on for approximately 5 to 10 seconds.  

Why (all) Auto manufacturers have not incorporated into their Vehicles regardless if they are equipped with Daytime Running Lights a feature that when the Windshield Wipers are activated other then the "clean & swipe" mode, the Headlamps are automatically illuminated.  All this technology of "rain sensing" wipers and "automatic headlamp activation sensors" are fine and good if your (gadget) orientated but having the Headlamps automatically go on when the Wipers are on is a no brainer.  While your at it, how about having the Headlamps automatically shut off once the ignition is off and the key is removed.  No more fear about returning to a dead battery should the "automatic" Headlamp delay sensor fail to shut off the Headlamps.

Why (all) Auto manufacturers have not incorporated into their Vehicles regardless if they are equipped with Daytime Running Lights a feature that when the Windshield Wipers are activated other then the "clean & swipe" mode, the Headlamps are automatically illuminated.  All this technology of "rain sensing" wipers and "automatic headlamp activation sensors" are fine and good if your (gadget) orientated but having the Headlamps automatically go on when the Wipers are on is a no brainer.  While your at it, how about having the Headlamps automatically shut off once the ignition is off and the key is removed.  No more fear about returning to a dead battery should the "automatic" Headlamp delay sensor fail to shut off the Headlamps.

We need a way to turn off the headlamps when the car is in for service. Otherwise, the battery would be dead all the time.

The headlamp sentinel is a great design. Just get use to it. It does exactly what you are asking.

Not all manufactures define it's function the same. Maybe a standard function should be adopted for all cars ;)

Edited by drdiesel1

I don`t take issue with an Automatic Headlamp Sensor.  I personally never use the (auto) setting on the Headlamp Switch.  My DRL`s that I had enabled/activated run all the time when the engine is running and I simple manually activate the Low Beams on the Headlamps at (dusk) and the Green Dash Indicator reminds me that they are on as well as my Tail Lights.  Guess old habits die hard for some of us.  I`ve been used to turning Headlamps on and off manually for over a half century as well as activating the Windshield Wipers as needed the same way.  Guess when I finally accept the need to utilize the "auto-park" feature, I`ll accept all the rest at the same time or better yet, leave the driving for someone else.

Per Ford:

SSM 12063 - 2012-2013 Focus 2013 C-Max, Escape - Rain Light - Proper Operation

2012-2013 Focus and 2013 C-Max and Escape vehicles equipped with the Rain Light feature will not work with the wiper switch set to intermittent/delay mode by design. This feature will only work when the wiper switch is set to the low or high speed settings during daylight operation, and the headlamp switch set to Autolamp mode with a 5 to 10 second delay before headlamps/park lamps turn on. After the wiper switch is turned off, the lamps will remain on for approximately 5 to 10 seconds.  

As of April 2010, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia have wipers on, lights on laws

interesting, will set mine to off for the auto sense wipers, kind of  a major issue in the above states, guess ford did not to their research to well on traffic law compliance 

As of April 2010, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia have wipers on, lights on laws

interesting, will set mine to off for the auto sense wipers, kind of  a major issue in the above states, guess ford did not to their research to well on traffic law compliance 

Maybe you should read the SSM, again ;)

Maybe you should read the SSM, again ;)

explain in detail, don't do TLA's unless they are a numeric call code. The headlights do not come on when the wipers are set for auto sense, which is illegal and considered a moving violation in 27 states and punishable by a fine and in some cases a class B misdemeanor unless an accident occurs then it is class A

Perhaps it needs to be pointed out that turning on headlights with wipers is not the car's responsibility, it's the driver's. It is perfectly legal for the wipers to come on without turning on headlilghts. It's your responsibility to turn on the headlights when using wipers if that's what your state requires. Mine does, and I remember the flurry of kits that became available to do this automatically, because no car had this feature at that time. Which is what this Ford does. You turn on the wipers, you get headlights.

Note that autosense is an intermittent setting, and intermittent isn't "on" it's "intermittent." You want the headlights flashing? Buy a different car, if you can find one... You want the headlights on, turn the wipers on.

Have fun,

Frank

explain in detail, don't do TLA's unless they are a numeric call code. The headlights do not come on when the wipers are set for auto sense, which is illegal and considered a moving violation in 27 states and punishable by a fine and in some cases a class B misdemeanor unless an accident occurs then it is class A

You are correct.  They don't come on when set to auto sense.

It not designed to operate the headlamps in internittent/delay or as you call it.  Auto Sense mode.

They come on with the wiper switch set to low or high with the headlamp switch set to autolamp mode..

Again.......... Read the SSM.

Edited by drdiesel1

So much data and detail to digest and remember. Remember, for all functions to work as designed or (required by local Law) the Auto Rain Light Wiper Switch must be set for low or high speed, (not) Intermittent/delay.  Also, Autolamp Headlight Switch (in Daytime) has a built in Delay of 5-10 seconds before they go on and will remain on for 5-10 seconds after the Wiper Switch is manually turned off.  Hmmmm, I think I (almost) got it!  Could`nt  Ford do a Software Upgrade to SYNC and MFT and have it all incorporated into Voice Command too?  Wonder if the latest Generation of Air Craft with all the updated avionics and Auto-Pilot features have Auto Rain Sensor Wipers and work in proper co-ordination with the Planes Landing Lights (in Daytime) conditions with or without the 5-10 second delay?  Enough already..how much enabling is necessary?  Is there an Android or iPhone App for that too?

Edited by Phil1336

So much data and detail to digest and remember. Remember, for all functions to work as designed or (required by local Law) the Auto Rain Light Wiper Switch must be set for low or high speed, (not) Intermittent/delay.  Also, Autolamp Headlight Switch (in Daytime) has a built in Delay of 5-10 seconds before they go on and will remain on for 5-10 seconds after the Wiper Switch is manually turned off.  Hmmmm, I think I (almost) got it!  Could`nt  Ford do a Software Upgrade to SYNC and MFT and have it all incorporated into Voice Command too?  Wonder if the latest Generation of Air Craft with all the updated avionics and Auto-Pilot features have Auto Rain Sensor Wipers and work in proper co-ordination with the Planes Landing Lights (in Daytime) conditions with or without the 5-10 second delay?  Enough already..how much enabling is necessary?  Is there an Android or iPhone App for that too?

Some people want it all.......... Maybe they should go see the doc and get an implant for APPS, to run their lives :clapping:

You are correct.  They don't come on when set to auto sense.

It not designed to operate the headlamps in internittent/delay or as you call it.  Auto Sense mode.

They come on with the wiper switch set to low or high with the headlamp switch set to autolamp mode..

Again.......... Read the SSM.

I realize exactly what you are saying, if you reread my replay I state that I understand it and it is exactly what I stated, the problem is, to utilize this functionality in 27 states and it is a moving violation - that is the issue, wipers are continuously moving as if they where on low or high by law in 27 states that headlights are required to be on. a caveat to this little blurb of information is to state that utilized the option will violate traffic laws in your state. Lets be honest - 99.9 percent of new car owners never open the owners manual. With the exception of this feature everything else fits within the traffic code.

First Ford describes a CMAX feature in the Owners manual that it does not have.  In my view this is a safety feature.  When asked Ford then says it doesn't have the feature but they don't correct the owners manual and they don't generally notify owners of the incorrect information about a safety feature. 

Second, the feature exists in at least one other Ford model--the 2014 Ford Taurus--so it is not a question of being difficult to implement or anything other than that Ford said the CMAX has be feature but failed to provide it.

All this gibberish about Ford`s reluctance to add this or that so called safety feature or not depending on which (27) States that have Laws and Statutes that mandate or prohibit different items.  What about the level of Tint used in their Fleet of Passengers Cars and different Laws pertaining to Trucks and SUV`s?  Is that the reason Ford refuses to make Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s standard equipment and only available for Fleet Purchase too?  How do other Manufacturers deal with these issues since they sell their Vehicles in the same States?

All this gibberish about Ford`s reluctance to add this or that so called safety feature or not depending on which (27) States that have Laws and Statutes that mandate or prohibit different items.  What about the level of Tint used in their Fleet of Passengers Cars and different Laws pertaining to Trucks and SUV`s?  Is that the reason Ford refuses to make Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s standard equipment and only available for Fleet Purchase too?  How do other Manufacturers deal with these issues since they sell their Vehicles in the same States?

Level of tint is easy - 0 for the front windshield below 3 inches from the top, 35 percent on the front 2 windows, any darkness on the back windows and doors here, but there are 49 other laws to pay attention to, the is no law in and of the states the US that requires DRL so the choice is up to the manufacturer unless the car is sold or shipped to Canada which does require DRL

Thanks everyone for the input on my question. I got to try out some of your suggestions tonite.......it was raining when I got off work, not dark enuf yet to need lights. So I changed the wipers from intermittent and lo and behold................the headlights came on!!! As a test I switched back to intermittent and...............the lights went off!!!

Chester, we have a winner!!!

I know there is no longer anything like a simple line of code.

But how hard would to be to insert a line that says something like

If wiper wipes more than 1 time within 5 (4?3?) minutes TURN headlight on, if wiper does not wipe more than 1 time within 5 minutes turn headlight off.

OK programmers get to programing and submit it to Ford.