Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installing a Power Magic Pro

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:Audi A3

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Since it's been a few weeks, figured I'd give an update on the Magic Pro and battery. Have it set to 12V and 12 hours (whichever happens first, it cuts out). Absolutely no issues whatsoever. It recorded a storm for 3 hours last week at night (sensitivity settings on the cam were a bit too sensitive I guess), and the battery was at 13.1V when I fired her up. The hardwiring/fuse taps are holding up too, and after spending so long under the glovebox, I now know where the cabin air filter is (black panel to the left - undo silver screw at the bottom, pop off the panel and it's in there). Looks a pain in the rear, but at least now I know. Have to find that thread where folk were asking..

Edited by kc1174, 10 November 2013 - 12:15 AM.

• JAZ likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

If I had the ability to upload a photo, I would but it still says I can't. Sucks...

I have the same problem.  The only way to do it is to create an album, which gets to be cumbersome for simple one off pics.

• kc1174 likes this

#23 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

I have the same problem.  The only way to do it is to create an album, which gets to be cumbersome for simple one off pics.

Thanks!  Finally some photos!  :happy feet: Now to see if this works...

Dashcam view
Dashcam
Magic Pro
Magic Pro
Earth Point
Hardwire setup

#24 OFFLINE   CarpeNivem

CarpeNivem

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SE

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

That dashboard shelf looks like stuff will fall off of it. ;) ;)

No, but seriously, thanks for the pictures! Great job. Are you concerned at all about the angles the camera doesn't cover? I want to do this in my own car (ever since we got hit in that parking lot) (which, btw, was the second time this year that happened!) but I feel like, if I'm not covering all angles, what happens when someone hits me on another side?

(* the other time it happened was in the car we owned before the CMax, and we just so happened to see it go down, but the person almost certainly would've fled the scene if we hadn't. I say this with quite a bit of certainty, based on my experiences with her over the days that followed.) But yeah, point is, twice in only a few months, our car struck and damaged in a parking lot, so I've definitely been giving security cameras a lot of thought. I just wonder if I'm being silly/excessive by wishing I had 3 or 4 of them. So, what are your thoughts on only having 1?

Edited by CarpeNivem, 11 November 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

That dashboard shelf looks like stuff will fall off of it. ;) ;)

No, but seriously, thanks for the pictures! Great job. Are you concerned at all about the angles the camera doesn't cover? I want to do this in my own car (ever since we got hit in that parking lot) (which, btw, was the second time this year that happened!) but I feel like, if I'm not covering all angles, what happens when someone hits me on another side?

(* the other time it happened was in the car we owned before the CMax, and we just so happened to see it go down, but the person almost certainly would've fled the scene if we hadn't. I say this with quite a bit of certainty, based on my experiences with her over the days that followed.) But yeah, point is, twice in only a few months, our car struck and damaged in a parking lot, so I've definitely been giving security cameras a lot of thought. I just wonder if I'm being silly/excessive by wishing I had 3 or 4 of them. So, what are your thoughts on only having 1?

Thanks! Yeah the shelf didn't look like a load bearing structure, so it has 2 microfiber cloths :)
Sorry about the cars getting hit. Sadly there are inconsiderate people about who don't care about other people's property.
As for the one camera, I'd maybe prefer 2 - one front and one rear (for the tailgaters), but my concern is really the possibility of someone pulling out on me or those who want a new car and like to slam on brakes to get a payout (FL is a no fault state), so some proof I think would help insurance wise. I only have the SE and added the OEM perimeter alarm with the dealer, and with the one dashcam, feel a bit happier. Of course, doesn't help with folk opening doors or people backing out of spaces and into my car, but for the cost of 4 total cameras vs. one and my decductible - if it happens and the camera doesn't catch anything, at least the insurer will see it wasn't anything I did. The dashcam I got was a Blackvue DR500-GW from Amazon - around $250, so while I could have 4, I don't feel it's cost effective overall (plus I wouldn't know where to put the side cameras) :) Hope things go better and if you do get one, let me know if you have any questions. :)

Edited by kc1174, 11 November 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the write up, Planning to install the wife's C-Max Blackvue and Powermagic Pro within the next few weeks. I have the same setup in my Passat and post my videos here;

http://www.youtube.c...arrelld3/videos

#27 OFFLINE   brishop

brishop

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Locationsimi valley
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Energi

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey, I found that the whole metal bar just behind the plastic trim under the glovebox is an earth. There are a couple of bolts on either end, so used the one on the right.

Just finished installing the power magic thing and everything seems to be working ok. Ended up using the 5A 81 power sun shade (again SE and no panoramic roof), as 62 didn't allow me to get the add-a-fuse in. Basically the box runs on accessory power when the car is running, and drops down to live when the car's off. Tested the live by leaving my cell in the car, plugged in and having an S4, there's a light to show it's still charging or full. Left it in for an hour with a low battery and it was still charging. Got back in, the Scangauge gave me 12.5V, and the power magic went into accessory when I started her up. The power magic is now safely tucked away in the glovebox. Am on my cell at the moment, but I took some photos and will post them up later. The whole thing was actually pretty simple to throw together once I had the fuses figured out (and simple to unhook and hide should I ever need warranty work...)

I have a CMAX Energi with no panoramic roof as well. I followed your write-up on which fuses to use. I was curious though whether on your green light stays on regardless of whether the switch is turned to on or off? Also, was curious whether it would be a problem in the difference with it being an energi vs a hybrid in the installation.

#28 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Followed kc1174 instructions with the exception that SEL models have different voltage presence at these fuse taps.

I used Hemostats to remove and insert the fuses, very difficult location to work in. Confirmed Powermagic Pro shutdown when voltage dips below my programmed 12v level.

Powermagic Pro and Valentine1 Hardware

There is a deadspot between the glovebox and the trim panel I used to route Powermagic Pro control box wiring.
IMG 1264

Connect the Valentine1 and Powermagic Pro ground wires by ring lug to the chasis ground.
IMG 1266

Edited by darrelld, 30 November 2013 - 03:38 PM.

• kc1174 likes this

#29 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

I have a CMAX Energi with no panoramic roof as well. I followed your write-up on which fuses to use. I was curious though whether on your green light stays on regardless of whether the switch is turned to on or off? Also, was curious whether it would be a problem in the difference with it being an energi vs a hybrid in the installation.

Hey - sorry seems my forum emails have been going to junk mail.. on the green light being on, that's fine. The power magic (when the switch is set to on) cuts out when the timer or the 12V battery drops below the thresholds set on the jumpers. When set to off, it cuts out when the 12V battery drops below the threshold set on the jumpers.
On the fuses for the Energi, I'm assuming it's the same as either mine (SE) or in the post above me (SEL). Best advice is to wire it up via the SEL fuses, plug your cell into the lighter socket, lock up the car and come back say 20 mins later and see if the phone is still charging. If it is - you hit the correct live fuse and all is well.

The trick to this was really to try various options via the fuse guide in the manual until one works :)

Edited by kc1174, 02 December 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   kc1174

kc1174

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Followed kc1174 instructions with the exception that SEL models have different voltage presence at these fuse taps.
I used Hemostats to remove and insert the fuses, very difficult location to work in. Confirmed Powermagic Pro shutdown when voltage dips below my programmed 12v level.

There is a deadspot between the glovebox and the trim panel I used to route Powermagic Pro control box wiring.

Connect the Valentine1 and Powermagic Pro ground wires by ring lug to the chasis ground.

Cool! Which fuses #'s did you use for ACC and live? I ordered the 2013 Ford service/wiring DVD off eBay to get a better idea of the electronics on the Max.

Btw - about an hour ago, someone sideswiped me. No damage thank god - just hit the offside mirror which flipped in, but got the usual "you were speeding" and "your lights weren't on" and "I had my turn signal on" bs - then showed him the dashcam, so he shut up.. Was doing 19mph, my lights were on, he didn't indicate, and he pulled over a solid white line. It paid for itself right there.
Some profanity was used, so don't think I'll be posting it up anytime soon.
You think TX drivers are bad (and they are - saw your YouTube videos) but FL is close!

#31 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

Cool! Which fuses #'s did you use for ACC and live? I ordered the 2013 Ford service/wiring DVD off eBay to get a better idea of the electronics on the Max.

Btw - about an hour ago, someone sideswiped me. No damage thank god - just hit the offside mirror which flipped in, but got the usual "you were speeding" and "your lights weren't on" and "I had my turn signal on" bs - then showed him the dashcam, so he shut up.. Was doing 19mph, my lights were on, he didn't indicate, and he pulled over a solid white line. It paid for itself right there.
Some profanity was used, so don't think I'll be posting it up anytime soon.
You think TX drivers are bad (and they are - saw your YouTube videos) but FL is close!

I used F73 for battery and F86 for keyed power.

My step daughter is from Tampa and graduated from USF so I have heard the stories about Florida. My motivation for the dash cam was created after being a target of insurance fraud that ended with the case getting dropped just before jury selection. A video would have ended that case immediately.

#32 OFFLINE   chad

chad

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-MAX SEL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I used F73 for battery and F86 for keyed power.

My step daughter is from Tampa and graduated from USF so I have heard the stories about Florida. My motivation for the dash cam was created after being a target of insurance fraud that ended with the case getting dropped just before jury selection. A video would have ended that case immediately.

After trying many, many fuses, F86 is the one that worked for me (keyed power) in my 2013 Hybrid SEL. Thanks Darrelld!

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·