New C-Max owner . . . don't know what I'm doing!

Seaswirl

We bought our cute C-Max hybrid 2 weeks ago, and we are really loving our new beauty.  I'm enjoying this forum, but honestly, I didn't know driving this car would be so "involved."  I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to efficient driving.  The dealer didn't really give us a good tutorial.  Any pointers would be appreciated, but please, baby steps.

Thanks in advance. 

PS:  We live in a metropolitan area, but take weekend road trips frequently.

Welcome to the Science Project (as my wife calls it)

Find a post from Jus A CMax and read the links in his sig for some good advice.

I found this picture tells me more than words. It shows the relative energy content of your gas tank vs. your battery, your altitude and your speed, as well as transfer options.

- Hitting the accelerator turns gasoline into motion (kinetic energy, KE) and can charge the battery

- driving up a hill turns motion (KE) into altitude, a form of stored energy known as "potential energy (PE)." Driving down a hill releases it.  

- braking gently, in "regen(erate)" mode, turns motion (KE) into electrical energy, stored in the battery. Driving in EV mode releases it.

post-1320-0-22990200-1382618902_thumb.jpg

( It's in units of "megajoules," the SI unit for energy. For reference, 1 fluid ounce of gasoline is about 1 megajoule, same as the car moving at 75 MPH, or being at the top of a 62 meter hill)

Your mission is to use as little gas energy as you can. You can store energy in 3 places, and you should know that a gasoline internal combustion engine (ICE) is most efficient at low speed and high load.

I like the "Empower" dash display as it includes an ICE-on threshold.

So... when you must use gas, use the ICE under load whenever possible (accelerating, going up hill) but at a throttle position that charges the battery, too. Then glide as far as you can using the energy stored in your speed, altitude and battery. "Pulse and glide" is the hypermiler's mantra, and a hybrid will do most of the hard work for you.

Treat her like a hybrid, consciously choosing when to use gas and when to use stored energy, and you'll get 40's-50's for mileage. Otherwise, you'll be in the 30's most of the time...

HAve fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2599-my-2c-ev-driving/

The first post in the above thread was most helpful to me.

I don't do the pulse and glide thing.

I use the empower screen.

VERY basic simplied version of that post, I do accelerate in EV to between 10 and 20 mph(empower screen blue), then get up to speed on gas(ICE) going at no more than two bars, actually 2.1 is OK(empower screen white), then kind of use the ICE(internal combustion engine) for going up hills and EV for maintaining speed and down hills.

first thing...watch your brake score, that round blue circle that appears every time you stop try for those 98% circles.

Speaking of stopping, they are the REAL MPG killer, you wont burn any gas at the red light.

BUT you will leaving the red light.

All lights are red in Fort Worth TX.

I get terrible :rant2: mpg in town, great :happy feet: on the in town freeways and awful :cry: on the 75+ mph long-distance-highways.

Edited by wab

We bought our cute C-Max hybrid 2 weeks ago, and we are really loving our new beauty.  I'm enjoying this forum, but honestly, I didn't know driving this car would be so "involved."  I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing when it comes to efficient driving.  The dealer didn't really give us a good tutorial.  Any pointers would be appreciated, but please, baby steps.

Thanks in advance. 

First, welcome to the site as a C-MAX Hybrid owner :)

Second, I am glad that you have posted, asking questions so that you can better understand how to get the best performance out of your C-MAX.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2599-my-2c-ev-driving/

The first post in the above thread was most helpful to me.

I don't do the pulse and glide thing.

I use the empower screen.

VERY basic simplied version of that post, I do accelerate in EV to between 10 and 20 mph(empower screen blue), then get up to speed on gas(ICE) going at no more than two bars, actually 2.1 is OK(empower screen white), then kind of use the ICE(internal combustion engine) for going up hills and EV for maintaining speed and down hills.

Welcome.....You might not P&G now, but you will after you learn how to maximize your MPG numbers. The car will teach you

how to be a more efficient driver as well as learning how to spend less at the pump  :happy feet:  Enjoy the tech and the ride  :love_shower: 

... please, baby steps.

1) Remember to enjoy the car, and don't worry about how you're driving. Keep mileage in perspective:

You've just spent about $30,000 on the car.

35 MPG = 2.9 gal/100 mi = $10 (roughly, at $3.50 per gallon)

40 MPG = 2.5 gal/100 mi = $9

45 MPG = 2.2 gal/100 mi = $8

50 MPG = 2.0 gal/100 mi = $7

So each 5 MPG increment would save you what -- $100 to $200 per year -- in gas expense? "Involved" driving is a hobby, not a moral imperative.

2) The first month or so, the car is adjusting to you. Efficiency will improve on its own.

3) But if you want to take an active role, as noted above the biggest thing you can do is to note the brake score and see if you can ease it into the 90's. (If the brake score isn't showing on the left hand display every time you come to a stop, it can be turned on). Looking ahead and gentle braking saves miles into the battery. Hard braking throws away miles. My wife was worried about "riding the brakes" producing too much wear on the brake pads - in a hybrid, gentle braking doesn't use the brake pads.

3) A first approximation to the rest of the driving advice:

- Select the empower display in the left hand console display. Only look at the left hand arc.

- When the line is white (internal combustion is on),  the ideal is to accelerate briskly at roughly the second crossbar.

- When you're up to speed and the white line drops down toward the bottom, briefly let off the accelerator and let the engine will drop into EV (blue) if it chooses to.

More advanced driving can follow on after these are habits. Also, braking hard when you have to won't kill your mileage for the entire tank. Accelerating into the yellow can be fun, and done occasionally you won't notice it in your MPG.

We're heading into winter, and your car is far from broken in, so don't get into a competition with the 60MPG'ers just yet. Wait till spring for that.

Again, enjoy the car, and only chase mileage if it's fun for you.

Thanks in advance. 

First, welcome to the club. I have had my C-Max since August and after about a month I think I had gotten the hang of driving for maximum EV. It's just habit now. In fact I find it amusing that I used to be one of those guys that would race around the "slow car" just to beat them to the next light. I am amazed at how many times I end up at the same light, sometimes for miles.

It did take some getting used to, but I actually enjoy driving in a more reserved manner. Plus with my Sync system, Sirius and improved stereo over what I had in my old car I am usually in no rush to get where I am going. Better for my blood pressure.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi Seaswirl, and welcome!

We've all been where you are now, believe me! I don't think I'm bragging when I say you are fortunate to have found this forum after only 2 weeks! There is so much information here that it can seem overwhelming to know where to look. In addition to the other links mentioned, here's one from the one of the other Moderators, Jus-A-CMax

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1309-welcome-to-the-website-some-helpful-videos-for-you-your-new-car/

After you've had the time to cruise around the site, if you don't find answers to specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. We are a friendly, helpful bunch, who (most of us, anyway), love our cars and helping new owners get the most from their new computer  car.

Again, Welcome! We're glad you are here!

Welcome to the forum  :rockon:

First - jus drive the car. Don't worry about being a :airquote: Fuel Efficient driver at the start. Get to know your car, how it handles, the power, eco-cruise and the layout of the buttons, My Ford Touch. And enjoy the car. 

Its only so  :airquote: involved only when you want to and make it so, there's nothing to compel you to make this complex.

However, when you are ready to :airquote: play, then read on and educate yourself. I am a 1st time hybrid owner and have moderate success with my CMax but I didn't become a FE driver overnight. It takes a lot of road time and education and understanding the car.

One huge tip: When you are ready to play the FE game, pay attention to the road. Its too easy to get engrossed on the gauges. Safety first, MPG last.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the forum...lots and lots of fun things here and  :congrats:  on your CMax.

:)

I've noticed nobody has said anything about break in. You will not get the big numbers until you have about 5,000+ miles on the car. The mileage will start going up after that. Winter and cold weather will drop mileage so don't be shocked with low numbers. The ICE needs to be warm before the battery power will start kicking in. It will  have to run more to stay warmed up. Spring weather you will get a huge increase in mileage so hang in there and you will love your CMax.

Seaswirl welcome aboard!  We have had our C-Max for nearly a year and still haven't put 5,000 miles on her yet LOL.  So we aren't broken in yet.  Don't worry too much about how to drive the car and like Jus says don't get consumed with watching the gauges as that can be so distracting and dangerous.  Anticipating braking and braking evenly is the important element as it regenerates your battery.  You will find as you read here and then try out some recommendations it will all fall into place.  Mileage is affected by so many things i.e. climate outside, use of air conditioning in the car, and even buying snow tires and putting them on it.  We have some super mileage trips and some jaw dropping awful ones--the awful ones are generally related to outside temps and the car taking a long time to warm up (even though ours lives in a garage).  Rain, wind, sleet all affect the mileage but don't get all fixated on it.  I go through phases when I am cheesed at the poor mileage, but it soon passes as the C-Max is a lovely little car.  However, I must say I fell in love with the Ford Flex when they gave me one as a loaner.  Ugly as sin but oh my was it ever comfortable and rather funky.  Don't think I would ever buy one due to its looks but I had fun driving it.

...it took me a while to get use to it. First impression, it looked :airquote: oddly right but not quite right but looked good, or does it. Confused? Yep, that was my impression. The driveability was the MAIN SELLING POINT (do you hear me Ford Motor Company)?

They should...lucky enough for them to draw my name in a survey, the same night my Maxine and I got toasted. Sigh. Well...+positive is that the CMax is a SAFE car!!!! :yahoo:

My commute is only 15 miles. 45-55 MPG is nice, but nothing beats 999.9MPG 

My hybrid mileage is worse the shorter the trip, especially as the seasons change for the colder. Engine warm-up is an MPG-killer, and it takes distance to warm up.

My electricity is only partly fossil fuel (hydro, nuclear) so there are social and environmental benefits.

20 miles is "enough" when you have a capable ICE as backup.

I could go on...

HAve fun,

Frank

Can somebody tell me the point of plugging the car in when you can only drive about 20 miles on electricity?  I just don't "get it."

The avg. trip in the USA is 11 miles.   Most of mine are under 10 but in several segments per day.  If you can charge in-between, you can drive gas free.  Also anything under 10miles, even in a hybrid like the CMax, delivers less than optimum mpg due to a cold ICE (gas engine).   

Frank:  So, in essence, you plug your car in every day? 

I do. It's what it's for. Plug it and charge the HVB to run in EV mode. I get about 25 miles per charge on average. Those 25 miles

add up to some major fuel savings. Anytime I drive my car it's mostly on the HVB charge. When I come back from my local short

intown trips, I plug it in while it's parked. Add more local driving and it's gas free.  I've stopped spending big money on gas.

Now I spend it on my electric bill and it's way cheaper. I usually get gas every 5 to 6 weeks and can run well over 1000 miles on a tank of gas.

If I never left town, I wouldn't need to use any gas :love_shower:

You haven't been plugging yours in ? You have an EV range from 21 to 30 miles of gas free driving from charging the 7.6 kWh

lithium battery pack. Plug that sucker in :spend:

Edited by drdiesel1

Hey DrDiesel...jus curious? Do you baby the car when in the full EV mode for the 1st 25 miles? For me, if I am in EV, I am babying, minimalist use. Ive heard the Enegi run as much as 1800+ miles on a tank because of the continual plug in charge. Amazing.

I drive it the same as if I was in hybrid mode. Of corse you'll get more mileage per charge if you don't drive it hard.  I was able to get 32 miles before it kicked over to the hybrid side. If I added both before the ICE came on, I could get about 34 miles.

Supercharging will gain a few more miles, but that another subject. Gary has a thread on the Energi forum on that. It works too.  I know of people that never use gas and still have the full tank form the dealer. You could neve use gas, if you can do it all on a charge. Or at least multiple charges per day.

I love it and always save 10 miles of EV battery using EV later when I need to hit the highway. It allows better hybrid driving with more EV time because it will use some of the EV battery power too. I think the ratio is 75% saved and 25% can be used in hybrid mode when using EV later.

Edited by drdiesel1