Carbon Fiber Hood?

mtb9153

Hello fellow CMaxer's I wanted to throw out to the membership something that I've been toying with for some time.  As my topic states a top notch high quality carbon fiber hood for our CMax.  I just love the high tech look of carbon fiber racing parts.  Our hoods being shorter than most would really work well combined with the extra strength and rigidity of CF. 

VISracing is known for their high quality glossy resin finish CF components.  If I had one of these, I would not be painting it, but they can be painted to match the color of your Max. 

So with that said, any interest in doing a group purchase for say just off the top of my head, $300-$400 per hood?  This mod can't possibly affect your Factory Warranty, so does worry about that being a factor.

Hope to hear from a number of our members, I would serve as the host of this group purchase and take the orders for the group to VIS. :happy feet: Below is my email to the company.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your email.  We still have quite a bit of parts we
need to make, and that goes by demand.  When we produce a new part now, we
have to do a run of 20 pieces.  If you're on a forum, and want to host a
group buy that can garner 20 people including yourself, for pre-orders with
deposits, we would love to make a Carbon Fiber hood for your Owners Group.

Just let us know when you are ready.

Best regards,

Director of Marketing
VISracing.com / WingsWest.com
Fred V.
20465 E. Walnut Dr. N.
City of Industry, CA. 91789
Phone: 909-839-1880
Fax: 909-839-2933

My personal philosophy:  spending that kind of money on a mod that doesn't improve performance is a "NO!".  Most cosmetic mods would fall into that category but if it's just a few bucks, I'll consider it.

To stop the spread of the on going clear coat failure on my wife's honda civic, I'm considering wrapping the roof with 3M carbon fiber wrap.  It's a coupe with a glass sunroof so not much paint surface to cover.   I've used it on some of my motorcycles and the rear bumper of the CMax and it's holding up well.  Wrapping a hood should cost less than $100.  This is a 3-dimensional product.  If you run a fingernail across it, the CF weave will make a zipper type sound.   IOW, it's not just vinyl with a printed surface; AKA fake, AKA "carbon fiber look".

882A94F8-244F-421C-BCC2-8C97D2D29041-215

I've always thought carbon fiber hoods look awesome. My wife, however, completely disagrees.

Also, to be honest, even if I did talk her into a CF hood, I know me, and I'd super regret not getting the panoramic roof if I got a CF hood, because wow, those would look awesome together!

I agree the look of unpainted CF is like nothing else in the full sun.  Especially with a great high gloss clear resin finish like VISracing offers.  Thanks for your positive comments.  One thing is for sure the less weight would allow for slightly better fuel economy.  That's my leverage point with my wife.  The wow and coolness factor just doesn't register with her.

My personal philosophy:  spending that kind of money on a mod that doesn't improve performance is a "NO!".  Most cosmetic mods would fall into that category but if it's just a few bucks, I'll consider it.

To stop the spread of the on going clear coat failure on my wife's honda civic, I'm considering wrapping the roof with 3M carbon fiber wrap.  It's a coupe with a glass sunroof so not much paint surface to cover.   I've used it on some of my motorcycles and the rear bumper of the CMax and it's holding up well.  Wrapping a hood should cost less than $100.  This is a 3-dimensional product.  If you run a fingernail across it, the CF weave will make a zipper type sound.   IOW, it's not just vinyl with a printed surface; AKA fake, AKA "carbon fiber look".

882A94F8-244F-421C-BCC2-8C97D2D29041-215

granted the vinyl CF products have come a long way in recent years, but for me it just doesn't do justice for what I'm wanting.  The high glossy finish with the weave buried underneath it just looks so cool combined with the slight golden hue of the weave cast in the sun.  Curious how you cut the nice smooth edge around the whole piece.  A nice sharp x-acto blade perhaps.  But not cutting into the paint some how?

Edited by mtb9153

granted the vinyl CF products have come a long way in recent years, but for me it just doesn't do justice for what I'm wanting.  The high glossy finish with the weave buried underneath it just looks so cool combined with the slight golden hue of the weave cast in the sun.

But very nice mod you did with the fake stuff, even I might consider doing this if I find a good supplier locally in ZIP 95124

Any idea what the weight saving would be over the existing hood, and what difference that would make in terms of economy and performance? 

right now I don't know but it is something I will throw out to my contact at VISracing since I've said I will host this group purchase.  Stay Tuned.

granted the vinyl CF products have come a long way in recent years, but for me it just doesn't do justice for what I'm wanting.  The high glossy resin finish with the weave buried underneath it just looks so cool combined with the slight golden hue of the CF weave cast in the sun.

What impact might changing the hood have on crashworthiness/occupant safety?

One side of my brain says stronger therefore safer.

The other side says wonder if the hood is part of the crumple zone, might come though the windshield.

PLEASE NoBODY mention this to an insurance co!

They already want us in generic boxes all painted the same color, NO MORE RED CARS!!!

Not sure they could do anything about a mod to incorporate the 2014 hood air gap.  Since unless they know what the change is suppose to involve?  It would difficult to include it in the CF hood for us.  Has far as affecting the crumple zone, I think it would have little effect since a CF replacement panel is much stronger and lighter than it's steel counterpart.  Look at how functional 100% CF construction is in race car chassis protecting the drivers legs which extend out beyond the front wheels at great speeds.  They are designed to stay intact upon impact and absorb the crash forces.  I'm no expert on the subject but I think the use of CF components won't lessen passenger safety by using CF components, it lightens the car while retaining strength and adds high coolness factor and tech appeal.  It just depends on whether the CF look is appealing to you or not?

Not sure they could do anything about a mod to incorporate the 2014 hood air gap.  Since unless they know what the change is suppose to involve?  It would difficult to include it in the CF hood for us.  Has far as affecting the crumple zone, I think it would have little effect since a CF replacement panel is much stronger and lighter than it's steel counterpart.  Look at how functional 100% CF construction is in race car chassis protecting the drivers legs which extend out beyond the front wheels at great speeds.  They are designed to stay intact upon impact and absorb the crash forces.  I'm no expert on the subject but I think the use of CF components won't lessen passenger safety by using CF components, it lightens the car while retaining strength and adds high coolness factor and tech appeal.  It just depends on whether the CF look is appealing to you or not?

"They are designed to stay intact upon impact and absorb the crash forces."

That's what I meant to say.

"The other side says wonder if the hood is part of the crumple zone, might come though the windshield."

It might defeat the crumple zone or break the hinges and cut the A pillars...I doubt it's that strong???

Somewhere there has to be info about this happening, too many CIVIC's running around with CF hoods.

googling...

wab

Below is my latest conversation with regard to CF hoods for a CMax

Hello Mike,

The hood would weight around 25-35lbs roughly.  As for the crumple, it would not come through the windshield, and is surprisingly rigid.  They would be safer IMO if anything, because they are more flexible as a composite material.  The top layer is carbon fiber, but the core is fiberglass.

Best regards,

I was discussing with the CMax owners forum your proposal regarding getting 20 advance orders/deposits for a CF hood.  One question thrown at me was how much weight loss can be expected by switching to a CF hood?  Also does the switch to a CF hood effect the Ford design of frontal crumple zone in a head on collision?  Some are expressing concern of the hood coming through the windshield since CF crumples or is damaged differently over steel?  Make any sense?

If "the core is fiberglass" then it sounds like a fiberglass hood with a cosmetic carbon fiber overlay, not a carbon fiber hood per se? And if so, maybe not so strong? I know approximately zero about CF components, so please forgive me if that's a stupid question. Also, don't we have sound absorbing pads under the hood, and what would happen to noise levels in their absence?

If "the core is fiberglass" then it sounds like a fiberglass hood with a cosmetic carbon fiber overlay, not a carbon fiber hood per se? And if so, maybe not so strong? I know approximately zero about CF components, so please forgive me if that's a stupid question. Also, don't we have sound absorbing pads under the hood, and what would happen to noise levels in their absence?

Most CF products are made this way for automotive applications, it keeps cost down since CF is so expensive to work with.  As for the noise absorbing material under the hood?  I will address this to the manufacturer along with your concern about using fiberglass.  But I suspect the material can be reattached to the CF hood.

That looks nice fotomoto!!! Hmm  Me is wondering about how far away you are from me as I may need your assistance in doing the same to my WP tri-coat.

Here's my thread on how I did it:  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1835-custom-rear-bumper-treatment/

To stop the spread of the on going clear coat failure on my wife's honda civic, I'm considering wrapping the roof with 3M carbon fiber wrap.  It's a coupe with a glass sunroof so not much paint surface to cover.  

Looks like I won't be wrapping our Honda civic roof.  Got a letter this weekend from Honda extending the warranty on paint failure out to 7 years.   :dance:

Below is the response I got from my contact at VIS Racing regarding concerns for a CF hood with a fiberglas core

The reason it’s created like this, is cost.  We can make a full carbon hood, but that would be about double or a little more than double for the hood.  That layer of carbon does help the  fiberglass, but we do make full carbon for certain race teams and cars.  Any pads that would be on the OEM hood that the customer wants to retain, would have to be carefully transferred over, and the holes must be made to correspond those holes on the hood.  Tedious, but I’ve seen it done a lot.