Ford C-max least reliable car in America (Says CR)

Seth7721

Is this for the Energi only?  If so, how about a similar app for the hybrids?

Yeah, that is only for Energi (C-Max or Fusion). They have a built in 3g cell connection that allows them to communicate with Ford, who then passes that information onto the owner via My Ford Mobile.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

"Ford saying a usb thumb drive is killing the car."

Is this new?

We haven't had any battery issues on our sel, and we do leave the USB plugged in all the time.

Only problem I've had with the USB when I kept updating changing songs on the USB and the indexing feature seemed to mess up.  Went away as soon as I cleared the USB and reloaded the songs back on it. 

• 7 months later...

I bought a 2012 Subaru Impreza based on Consumer Reports rating of this car and it is terrible - underpowered, noisy, and doesn't go between oil changes without you having to add a quart or more.

I am looking at the Cmax but have seen posts other than CR's discussing CMAX frequently not starting or tires going flat or general unreliability.

I have looked at a lot of the posts in this forum and it appears that most of you like/love the CMAX.  The CMAX is a bit more than I would spend on a vehicle (I'm also looking at Mazda 3) but I am looking for something that is going to last me 10 years (100,000 miles). 

My question to all of you - if you had it to do over again - would you still buy the CMAX?

Tires going flat?  Are you referring to discussions about the C-Max not being equipped with a spare tire/jack/lug wrench and what, if anything, to do about it?

As to your question - we love our C-Max and absolutely would still buy a C-Max if we had to do it again.

One of my sons has a 2008 Mazda 3 (manual transmission) - it has been an excellent car for him. 

@ knahs42...welcome to the forum.

The CR reliability data you refer to is old. If you are interested in up to date reliability data on C-Max, I suggest you read following links:

http://www.truedelta.com/Ford-C-MAX/reliability-1010

and

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/817-c-max-reliability-better-info/page-2?hl=+reliability +report

Their latest C-Max reliability report states:

Our reliability stats for the C-MAX now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources. 

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year: 
2013 C-MAX: 26, low (which means good reliability)

My 2013 C-Max SE is almost 1 year old now and I have not had any major problems. To answer your question, Yes, I would buy my C-Max again!
Edited by Zathrus

I bought a 2012 Subaru Impreza based on Consumer Reports rating of this car and it is terrible - underpowered, noisy, and doesn't go between oil changes without you having to add a quart or more.

I am looking at the Cmax but have seen posts other than CR's discussing CMAX frequently not starting or tires going flat or general unreliability.

I have looked at a lot of the posts in this forum and it appears that most of you like/love the CMAX.  The CMAX is a bit more than I would spend on a vehicle (I'm also looking at Mazda 3) but I am looking for something that is going to last me 10 years (100,000 miles). 

My question to all of you - if you had it to do over again - would you still buy the CMAX?

Hi knahs42, and welcome,

I'll do a better *welcome* later (I'm at work now), but to answer your question, Without hesitation, I would buy my C-MAX again. I love this car!

I drove two different small SUV's the last 6 years.  At the end of May I bought a new C-Max SEL.  And I would absolutely buy another.  The car has good pickup with the ability to drive well and still good get mileage.  I am down to a 1/4 tank on my first city tank and am within range of getting a 600 mile tank.  But the temps are now in the high 90's so I may break down and run the AC and save the 600 mile tank for the fall.  

Tires going flat?  Are you referring to discussions about the C-Max not being equipped with a spare tire/jack/lug wrench and what, if anything, to do about it?

As to your question - we love our C-Max and absolutely would still buy a C-Max if we had to do it again.

One of my sons has a 2008 Mazda 3 (manual transmission) - it has been an excellent car for him. 

I researched pretty thoroughly before buying and didn't come across anything about the tires--wouldn't that be a Michelin problem, not a Ford problem?

After owning Honda, Ford, Audi, Acura and Volvo, the C-Max is the best car I have bought, by leaps and bounds.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian_L

I love my C-Max, and, yes, would buy it again....I have the SEL - 300A - so no extra options.  Kinda wish I had the foot lift gate.  I have had my C-Max, special order, since January 2013 and have over 22,000 miles.  Lifetime avg mpg is @43.4.

Previously I owned a 2008 Honda Civic, which got pretty good mileage, but absolutely no pickup/power and a puny sounding horn. :redcard: 

It's been awhile since posted, now have 23,000 miles on it. Had problem the other day with hatch door not closing correctly. Brought in to my dealer and in 2 days car was ready and cleaned, the reason it took 2 days, they had to order the part, if not for that it would have been ready the same day, but in the mean time I had a rental to use.I would like to give a shout out To Banner Ford for excellent service. I said it once and say again a lot of problems on here could be solved by finding a great Dealer that knows what they are doing.

I have looked at a lot of the posts in this forum and it appears that most of you like/love the CMAX. The CMAX is a bit more than I would spend on a vehicle (I'm also looking at Mazda 3) but I am looking for something that is going to last me 10 years (100,000 miles).

Yes. I had a Mazda3 hatch and it was an excellent car. I have a Ford C-Max and it is an excellent-er car. It's basically everything I loved about the 3, only more so: same hatch utility but more interior room this time, same great acceleration but without having to wring it out using a manual transmission this time (love the C-Max's instant wallop of torque!), same silent idle in town but now also quiet on the highway (something that can't be said for any Mazda once the tires get a bit of wear), same precise handling but a slightly better ride this time. And the difference in price over the life of the car can be made up by the difference in MPG: I had a 27.5 lifetime MPG avg with the 3 (2.3 L engine); I have a 37.7 lifetime average with the C-Max. I drive both the same way: accelerate hard, cruise easy.

In both cases, I shoulda bought the upgraded factory radio, but later (pricey) tinkering got the tunes improved.

I believe my 3 had two major warranty repairs and one minor recall. My C-Max has had two repairs and several recalls, but the recalls will already have been performed on any car you buy at the dealer.

Really the only things that would give me pause about living with C-Max for 100k miles: 1) the possibility of experiencing the dead 12 volt battery (mine has been fine since the software update), and 2) the buggy USB interface for the stereo, which can be annoying (so now I just stream via Bluetooth instead).

Both times I briefly considered an Impreza too, but wasn't that imprezzed (different story if you live in the snow).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to come to this thread so late, but as a longtime CR fanatic who eventually saw the light I think it's pretty funny that anyone nowadays ever gives any credence at all to them.

Once upon a time it was a good idea, and a noble effort, but the fact remains they just don't have either the expertise nor the money needed to really evaluate most products, let alone cars.  As I got knowledgeable in my fields of computers and electronics I could see their reviews of such products just were laughable.  If so many of the reviews about products I am an expert on are wrong, I can only imagine just how off they are in most other areas.

Nowadays they are mostly an obsolete relic of a time gone by -- with the internet and so much data available there just isn't any reason to pay them any attention at all.

Sorry to come to this thread so late, but as a longtime CR fanatic who eventually saw the light I think it's pretty funny that anyone nowadays ever gives any credence at all to them.

Once upon a time it was a good idea, and a noble effort, but the fact remains they just don't have either the expertise nor the money needed to really evaluate most products, let alone cars.  As I got knowledgeable in my fields of computers and electronics I could see their reviews of such products just were laughable.  If so many of the reviews about products I am an expert on are wrong, I can only imagine just how off they are in most other areas.

Nowadays they are mostly an obsolete relic of a time gone by -- with the internet and so much data available there just isn't any reason to pay them any attention at all.

They have no skin in the game, as much as they tout they buy their car. Their only purpose is to test and not make use of the car, or learn how to best drive the car. Hybrid driving is never hooning, go get a Mustang if you want to fang.

I think it is funny Ford gets dinged for stuff not working as well as it should but a a lot of the stuff Ford offers the competition does not.  I have a friend with a 2011 Subaru and the GPS/NAV and Phone are really basic, he was always envious of my 2011 Flex he is going to really dislike the capabilities of my new 2013 CMAX.

To me you need to balance the basics of what the car needs to do vs the finer points, does Ford get dinged for putting the mood light button on the overhead console?

I think it is funny Ford gets dinged for stuff not working as well as it should but a a lot of the stuff Ford offers the competition does not. ....

To me you need to balance the basics of what the car needs to do vs the finer points, does Ford get dinged for putting the mood light button on the overhead console?

Makes no sense to me.  

When I buy a product I expect it to work regardless of whether others offer similar products that have lesser features.  Unfortunately, Ford didn't even get the basics right either - EPA Fuel Economy miscues, dependability (dead battery issue).  Yes, Ford gets dinged when the Nav shows the position off the road in a field.  Yes, Ford gets dinged when the MFT locks up, Yes, Ford gets dinged if the overhead light doesn't work and so forth. :)  It's just too many dings, IIRC JD Powers 2013 IQS showed 222 defects per 100 vehicles,

Yup, Daring to do, Daring dinged !

Thanks Ford for being willing to take on those evil black dots of doom from CR (oooooooeeeeeeeeooooooooo) and innovate !  Those evil black dots, so 1960, never tell an accurate story, more anecdotal innuendo than anything else; overrated, misused ..............

Yes, I still refer to them for an overview  ;), but only as one of many resources to compare, and always with measured caution.  Please CR, wake up, its 2014, our decisions are not all black & white, more like shades of gray, or better yet, yellow to light green (all shades of caution) !!!  ;)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I completed the CR survey and the JD Power survey and dinged the C-Max for all those areas that legitimately should have have worked at launch. Keep in mind CR ranks Sync locking up as a problem equivalent to a VW fuel system failing with $6,000 worth of repairs.

I would certainly buy another C-Max again since it appears all of my complaints have been resolved satisfactorily and compensation received for the fuel economy discrepancies. I am still waiting for that last MPG adjustment check.

........... Keep in mind CR ranks Sync locking up as a problem equivalent to a VW fuel system failing with $6,000 worth of repairs.

A very, very important point  by Darrelld !

Yup, Daring to do, Daring dinged !

Thanks Ford for being willing to take on those evil black dots of doom from CR (oooooooeeeeeeeeooooooooo) and innovate !  Those evil black dots, so 1960, never tell an accurate story, more anecdotal innuendo than anything else; overrated, misused ..............

Yes, I still refer to them for an overview  ;), but only as one of many resources to compare, and always with measured caution.  Please CR, wake up, its 2014, our decisions are not all black & white, more like shades of gray, or better yet, yellow to light green (all shades of caution) !!!  ;)

Masterfully and quite poetically said by C-max SEA !

He certainly knows how to turn a phrase.  I particularly enjoyed:

"......more like shades of gray, or better yet, yellow to light green (all shades of caution) !!!"

As I recall, the WINNERS of the J D Power initial quality survey award, over the years, have typically scored about 30%; i.e. about a third of their cars needed repair in the first 3 months - and that's the WINNERS ! The losers commonly score worse than 50%, and that group sometimes includes some major luxury brands!!!!!.   It seems to me that this is a level of failure that we simply would not accept in anything other than an automobile.  How did it come to pass that the auto industry has duped us into accepting such a horribly low level of quality, industry wide?

Edited by Smiling Jack

I'd buy it again. I've had a couple minor issues, but nothing terrible and my dealer's been easy to work with (Varsity Ford). MFT is still flaky and I would ding Ford for that, but I'd still rather have it than the dash-o-buttons alternative.

I think the 2014's performed well so far in the initial quality surveys. Hopefully initial quality issues are a thing of the past with the CMax.

I'd buy again in a hearbeat.  Sure there's things that bug me---can I please have a "CD" or a "RADIO" button?!?---but almost everything else is first class.  

What I don't understand is how you can reject a whole company ("No more Ford products for me!") based on a few posts from disgruntled owners.  I'm not a big fan of VW but it isn't because my brother-in-law's wife's sister had nightmares with hers.

... How did it come to pass that the auto industry has duped us into accepting such a horribly low level of quality, industry wide?

Because we fall for complexity as a surrogate for quality, while "simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."

Anyone can count, few can evaluate. We buy the car with the most features (How many airbags does your car have?) without asking if the resulting reduction in reliability is worth it (Are we safer when airbags fail more often?) As long as we, the consumer, want more, the only sure result is there will be more stuff to break.

HAve fun,

Frank

Because we fall for complexity as a surrogate for quality, while "simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."

Anyone can count, few can evaluate. We buy the car with the most features (How many airbags does your car have?) without asking if the resulting reduction in reliability is worth it (Are we safer when airbags fail more often?) As long as we, the consumer, want more, the only sure result is there will be more stuff to break.

HAve fun,

Frank

Very true, IMO  

I'd say most of the ever increasing Federal requirements in the environmental and safety areas pushes technology and complexity in system design to the edge and reliability issues usually follow as manufacturers may not have adequately engineered / tested such new design (eg, the TDI fuel system issue mentioned above by darrelld).  Other than the dead battery issue Ford seems to have done well in this area with the C-Max and perhaps well above average.

The same holds true with the complexity of  "convenience" systems that customers apparently demand and that will set one apart from the competition. But Ford's roll out of its Navigation, MFT, Sync system was a disaster.  The good news is this is easily / cheaply correctable unlike the TDI issue (which apparently has yet to be corrected in nearly 6 years).

darrelld, on 21 Jul 2014 - 07:22 AM, said: ....................

........... Keep in mind CR ranks Sync locking up as a problem equivalent to a VW fuel system failing with $6,000 worth of repairs.

I hope consumers are smart enough to research whats behind the poor ratings of various car systems.  A black dot in one system is not the same as a black dot in another system.  A little research shows that the TDI FUEL SYSTEM problem continues and could cost one $6000+ if VW doesn't cover it (which they have been doing well past warranty). The poor rating of its Fuel System is based on a comparison of the TDI Fuel System vs Fuel Systems in other cars.   Two different vehicles could have black dots in its Fuel System rating.  One may be a $500 fix and the other may be covered by the manufacturer well beyond warranty.  

More research would show that Ford's Audio System rating (again compared with other cars) was not very good.  This is no way indicates that the level of problems with Ford's audio system is comparable to the level of problems with the TDI Fuel System.  This statement from an above post has no merit: "Keep in mind CR ranks Sync locking up as a problem equivalent to a VW fuel system failing with $6,000 worth of repairs."  It appears that Ford  has fixed (with software updates) virtually all previous AUDIO System problems (where C-Max got the black dot) .  So, it I were a potential buyer of a C-Max (new or used), I would believe that black dot is likely no longer applicable.  Unfortunately, it will take time for new survey data to validate this.

Surveys have their place and should push manufacturers to sell better products and inform consumers of problem areas.  Consumers need to understand (and perhaps read what's behind the CR and JD Powers surveys), do due diligence on areas of concern flagged by the surveys on forums and in other reviews, and then make their decision.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

As much as I love this car, I would not buy another because the value has went really down , my 2013 C Max is now worth 16,000 because of all the negative reports. The car is only 2 years old with 24,000 and has been a great car , but I usually like to trade my cars in 5 years and this one will take a big hit. That's over 12,000 lost in 2 years. The car is an SE loaded with everything the SEL has except for leather seats, which I did not want. By the way the SEL with same mileage is only worth 1500.00 more. It's a shame that this car got trashed by JD and Consumer Reports and owners because of a few problems, but nothing said about GM vechiles killing people or VW major problems. This was the first American car to take on Toyota .One other thing the most that had problems with car battery was the one that had the radio with all the buttons instead of the one with the NAV and My Sync. I also cancel my Consumer Report subscription, I find they were not fair at all about the CMax. To the ones that got their buy back because of Lemon Laws, glad you got your money back, but for the rest of us we now own a car worth a lot less. Thanks.

Edited by AS2014