CR's 10 Least Reliable Cars - C-Max leads the list

maxed-out

Lets get one thing straight, despite what Yahoo and Consumer Reports rails on about how unreliable and bad the newly launched 2013 Ford C-Max is, "ITO" it has (NOT) been a failure whatsoever.  It sold beyond Ford`s wildest expectations for a first year Hybrid/Electric Plug In Vehicle and took the spotlight off the Toyota Prius finally as the only viable alternative to an Internal Combustion Powered Engine.  A majority of C-Max owners, including myself have had few if any problems with their First Year Inaugural Car.  Fit, finish, handling, power, braking, roominess for 5 Adults, etc.  Yeah, for most, Owners, the EPA 47 mpg Average was a stretch but whats wrong with getting in the high 30`s and low 40`s mpg for a Vehicle in this size and weight Class? Ford then voluntarily 'relabels" Fuel Estimates downward to a more realistic 43 mpg and sends "Good-Will" Cheques" for $550 to Buyers who purchased their C-Max`s before the change. Did Consumer Reports mention that? Lets call a Spade a Spade.  The major knock on the C-Max is applicable to Ford`s entire Fleet.  Their high tech info-mational Voice Activated SYNC and MY FORD TOUCH has been the main object of complaint and rightly so.  Despite the Software upgrades and modifications, its a Nightmare!  Not everyone wants or needs to have a Touchscreen to replace Knobs!  To bash Ford and the C-Max in particular as a totally unreliable Vehicle due to a problematic SYNC or MFT is unfair. Modify, Improve, or simply Eliminate all this un-necessary Gadgetry and watch the Own/Buyer Satisfaction Ratings improve drastically and quickly.

Edited by Phil1336

I don't know what to think any more.  Only 900 C-Maxes have been sold in Canada so far which is shocking to me.  I don't know what will happen with the C-Max here in the future, but it isn't looking good from what I can see.  Three at our dealership a year ago and two remain unsold.  A very perplexing situation.

It's only one opinion about one aspect of car ownership, it's only a limited & flawed tool.  The 'reliability' of a complex item is always 'worse' than a more simple one - especially in introductory years and with introductory year owners. 

;)  ;) ;)  

one of the lucky 99% trouble free,

nick

Great note Phil, but we do love our MFT / infotainment, a significant reason we bought in.

Sirius 42, darlin; oh & pass the Poupon.

PS  Note to Ford - TAKE CARE OF OUR FRIENDS IN CANADA ALREADY - blankity, blank fools at Ford - ARGH!

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 4 weeks later...

I currently own a 2012 Focus and 2013 Escape, both had problems with the My Ford Touch (MFT) system.. Ford stood behind their cars and made system updates and replaced a module and now its working perfectly. We just need to be patient with our dealers and they will make it right for you.  That's why there are warranties. 

Safe driving

PonyPower

I have bought a number of cars recommended by CR over the years , Volvo, Merc-Benz, Honda, Toyoto, lots of recalls, lots

Of electrical problems , with all of them. I worked with the Highway Dept and I always ended up with a old car with lots

Of miles on them. I drove 1995 Chevy Cavalier that had 85000 miles on it when I got it. I put another 50000 miles on itj,

Had to a put alternator on, and that was it, so I learned my lesson and don't buy cars they recommend. I quit reading

The mag cause it just made me angry. We bought a new silver cmax hybrid SLE last May, to pull behind our motor home,

We have driven it almost 8000 miles, I think it is the best car we have every owned, drives great, lots of power,

Good seats, great gas millage, ( 43.5 mpg ave since we have had the car, we live in the mountains of West Virgina,

The best millage so far is 70 mpg on mountain roads, can get 50 to 60 on two lane mountain roads at 50 mph.

On a trip of 250 miles running 70 to 75 mph on interstate highways we get 42 to 43 mpg) so what not to like.

And Ford sent me a check for $550.00 because CR said they only got 43 mpg.

We have had our C-Max for only ~ 6 months 5,000 miles - no problems whatsoever, but big deal, it's a brand new car.  I just recently had to take my 2012 Buick LaCrosse in for the first warranty repair, after 2 years and 30K miles.  There was an issue with the trunk sometimes not opening, and opening by itself other times. They had to order parts and gave me a free loaner to use until it was ready.  So, what I'm thinking is that the Buick needed 1 minor repair in 2 years, and maybe a Honda or Toyota would have needed none - that means the Buick has a much worse repair record - 100% worse...but it's still been a good car and reliable enough for me.  To put it another way, I think that while some auto brands are more reliable than others, nowadays all cars are pretty darn reliable.

I rented a 2013 Cmax drove up to sequoia national forest all day it switched back and forth smoothly and impressively up and down the steepest mountain drive anywhere I have ever seen for a paved road. All I can say we averaged way above what CR said they got and that for did a lot right!

I just ought one I was so impressed. Drive a prius and look at what the specs are... Item by item ford is ahead but ford has only just put out the cmax. Seems like no one remembers all the problems prius has been having.

Don't believe everything you read; although CR claims to be impartial, they have a clear history of favoring Asian brands over American cars.

CR also gives virtually no points for the "fun factors" of cars, where ther C-Max easilly trumps the Prius appliance. Remember also that the C-Max Hybrid is a new model and Ford had a few kinks to work out; our C-Max has had ZERO problems at 7,500 miles, my wife loves it.

I always find it amusing how some "shoot the messenger" for reporting "unwelcomed" facts and likely have not even read the CR review of the C-Max. ;)  Ford ought to be "shot" not CR.

It's clear to me that CR likes the C-Max (see excerpts below) but consumer's have (are still having) reliability issues.  CR reports the results of their consumer surveys and hence the poor reliability rating.   I've been on a lot of forums and don't recall any new cars with the manufacturer buying back so many cars for not being able to resolve a "no start" (aka "dead battery") condition. 

The C-Max is an appealing all-around package, combining the fuel efficiency of its standard hybrid powertrain with the practicality of a five-door hatchback design.

The C-Max goes beyond just being efficient transportation. It's fun to drive, with engaging agility and good steering feel. The cabin is quiet inside and the C-Max feels solid and substantial.

Why buy one:

• 37 mpg overall is impressive
  • More fun to drive than a Prius V
  • Impressive ride comfort, agility, and solid feel
  • Extremely practical package, with super-easy access and good passenger room
  • Plug-in Energi version is more practical and cheaper than a Chevrolet Volt, yet offers enough electric-only range for many buyers.

•  

I know this is a C-Max Hybrid Forum but I want to make a point on my dislike of both Ford`s SYNC and their MFT.  I personally would have gladly paid (extra) to be able to order a fully equipped Ford C-Max Vehicle (without) this troublesome nonsense that appears to need constant Software Patches and Program Updates.  In exchange, how about just including as standard equipment a high performance Radio CD System with standard Sirius Satellite Radio.  The upcoming 2015 Ford Mustang which I intend on purchasing as soon as the Order Guide arrives will have a completely different MFT system with lots of old fashion knobs and buttons to make adjustments and changes rather then having to navigate and leave constant "finger-prints" on the Touch Screen.  Not all of us are "Gamers" and even those that are, they can amuse themselves at home with their Toys.

• 3 months later...

Have just shy of 3000 miles. Did a trip from El Paso, Tx to Flagstaff, AZ and back along Route 180 through Deming, Silver City, Alpine, Painted Desert, Holbrook and along I-40 for the 90 miles to Flagstaff (@80MPH). Averaged 38MPG up there and about 43MPG on the way back (at 65/70MPH on the highway portions so it shows how excessive speed really hurts MPG).

Up until this week, the car has been flawless. Then the MyTouch Sync radio started -not- updating the radio station ID or frequency readout, the preset buttons work only part of the time and, sometimes, they queue up the presses and play them back a minute later. The climate control readout has switched from F to C (21.5C, for example) and back spontanteously. Screen goes black and then, after powering off and on, comes back up. Multiple master resets didn't solve anything. A phone call to Ford to troubeshoot this didn't help. Was told to bring it to the dealer. I did so; they have it now and the service rep thought they'd have to order in a new "module". The kid who drove me home from the dealer told me they've had a number of bad Sync units in the car/truck models where they've been factory-installed and have had to replace them. I trust Ford will do this with mine.

I will add that my original preference was to -not- have the MySync radio unit but the standard radio in the SE has like 50 buttons all over the top surface of the central dashboard area and this MySync unit, for all its "touch-screen-fake-button-pressing-skeuomorphic" nonsense, is still better than 50 separate mechanical buttons that will just stop working when they gather grime over the years.

I do agree with others here that the "old-fashioned" radio with physical buttons and knobs is, in the context of an automobile that one is DRIVING, superior to any sort of touch screen. The voice "wreckognition" user interface is typically Microsoft as is the rest of the system. I heard Ford is considering Blackberry for the next version...great choice...a company that's been irrelevant for years and on the verge of bankruptcy. Hello! Ford! Ever hear of Apple?? They would have nailed this right off the bat.

Edited by themacguy

"touch-screen-fake-button-pressing-skeuomorphic" nonsense, .... Hello! Ford! Ever hear of Apple??

You say that as if Apple wasn't synonomous with such nonsense, at least in their native interfaces. Like any other device, Apple's interface is only "good" once you know it. My wife is Mac-ish, so it's a personal observation that Apple products only work well for those who like them. Her latest one has a no-button mouse - delightful!

Conversely, RIM is a leader in car infotainment interfaces, judging by owners of cars that use theirs. I see cause for optimism, albeit in an area of comparatively little importance to me.

Have fun,

Frank

Consumer Reports speaks out of both sides of their mouths. If the C-Max is so unreliable, based on owner feedback, how come in Jan 2014 issue, page 51, 84 percent of C-Max owners said they would definitely buy the car again. Was one of the highest ratings for customer recommendation for hybrid. Seems to me if it was so bad, it would not get such a high rating from readers survey.

Consumer Reports speaks out of both sides of their mouths. If the C-Max is so unreliable, based on owner feedback, how come in Jan 2014 issue, page 51, 84 percent of C-Max owners said they would definitely buy the car again. Was one of the highest ratings for customer recommendation for hybrid. Seems to me if it was so bad, it would not get such a high rating from readers survey.

Like I said above CR is reporting the results of the surveys. Owners are speaking through the surveys not CR.  Based on owners' survey, the NRG and Hybrid based on one year of data ( "Predicted reliability is typically based on the newest three model years if a model hasn't been redesigned in that period"), rank in the top 10 of worst predicted reliability. Do consumers not want to know the facts?  Blame Ford for owner's reporting issues not CR.  Ford has 5 vehicles in the worst top 10. Only Ford can change it's rankings by fixing issues. As I've said many times, time will tell whether owners in such reliability surveys will allow the NRG and Hybrid to escape the bottom 10. 

Just because owners have had issues with their car, doesn't mean that they wouldn't buy a C-Max again.  Like Sal says in Ford's newer commercials, "if you can get someone to test drive a C-Max, they will end up buying this more times than not."  CR likes the C-Max.  If an owner hasn't had significant issues with their car, I think they would likely say they would buy again.

Lastly, you are misrepresenting the facts. ;)   The NRG got a score of 84 in the owner satisfaction surveys. The Hybrid score is 67 which is below the median of 78 (see below).  Also, the C-Max models unlike most models are based on only 1 - 2 years of data as indicated by the asterisk.  Also, here's a link (one will likely need to be a CR member to see) where one can compare the C-Max model rankings with other non hybrid vehicles.

gallery_167_32_24255.jpg

Update to my C-Max's issue (noted below):

The dealer said he needed "about 2.5 hours" in order to do "something" (I didn't know what but, hey!, they must know more than I do about this, right?). I picked up the car around noon today and it looks like the problem has been resolved. According to the paperwork, they performed TSB 13-10-6 which is detailed here:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3139-tsb-13-10-6-myford-touch-various-functionality-concerns-built-before-8162013-supersedes-tsb-13-8-2/

It looks like they updated the software which I actually tried to do the day after I got the car. At that time the car indicated it was already up to date. Apparently (according to the dealer), this procedure dope-slaps the car back into factory specs and then installs the latest(?) software update. If it's not the latest but the unit continues to work properly, I'll leave it alone. :D

I'm quite happy the dealer's service people were able to get this resolved so quickly. I truly like this car.

Barry

Have just shy of 3000 miles. Did a trip from El Paso, Tx to Flagstaff, AZ and back along Route 180 through Deming, Silver City, Alpine, Painted Desert, Holbrook and along I-40 for the 90 miles to Flagstaff (@80MPH). Averaged 38MPG up there and about 43MPG on the way back (at 65/70MPH on the highway portions so it shows how excessive speed really hurts MPG).

Up until this week, the car has been flawless. Then the MyTouch Sync radio started -not- updating the radio station ID or frequency readout, the preset buttons work only part of the time and, sometimes, they queue up the presses and play them back a minute later. The climate control readout has switched from F to C (21.5C, for example) and back spontanteously. Screen goes black and then, after powering off and on, comes back up. Multiple master resets didn't solve anything. A phone call to Ford to troubeshoot this didn't help. Was told to bring it to the dealer. I did so; they have it now and the service rep thought they'd have to order in a new "module". The kid who drove me home from the dealer told me they've had a number of bad Sync units in the car/truck models where they've been factory-installed and have had to replace them. I trust Ford will do this with mine.

I will add that my original preference was to -not- have the MySync radio unit but the standard radio in the SE has like 50 buttons all over the top surface of the central dashboard area and this MySync unit, for all its "touch-screen-fake-button-pressing-skeuomorphic" nonsense, is still better than 50 separate mechanical buttons that will just stop working when they gather grime over the years.

I do agree with others here that the "old-fashioned" radio with physical buttons and knobs is, in the context of an automobile that one is DRIVING, superior to any sort of touch screen. The voice "wreckognition" user interface is typically Microsoft as is the rest of the system. I heard Ford is considering Blackberry for the next version...great choice...a company that's been irrelevant for years and on the verge of bankruptcy. Hello! Ford! Ever hear of Apple?? They would have nailed this right off the bat.

Sadly it seems to be an either or situation.  You have a reliable good running vehicle or you got unlucky and have an unreliable one.  I feel lucky that we got a good one (knocking on wood of course).

Have owned my 2013 Ford C-Max SE Hybrid since Aug 1, 2013 have driven 4500k and have yet to have had any problems to date, (zero).  Averaging about 38 mpg both city & highway but constant heavy stop & go city driving and 70-75 mph highway.  I`m not going to be driven off the road and extend the time of a trip by driving at a maximum 62 mph & hyper-mile to achieve 42 mpg, just saying.......Considering the vehicles size, performance,handling, (and) an MSRP of $26,700, IMO this Vehicle is a Best Buy!  If I have one complaint, it would be to have included Sirius/XM Radio as Standard Equipment and make the SYNC Optional.  Some of us just don`t want, need, or use all this bluetooth connectivity.

Ironically, Phil, "heavy stop & go city driving" is one of the high mileage usage modes, along with rural side-roads.

The poster children for each would be Jus-A-C-Max and Recumpence, respectively. Now, I'll grant you that there's no way to get 50MPG going 75MPH, or even 40 if you're averaging close to 75, but that stop & go is what this car is made for. But it takes a different technique that may be better suited to San Fernando Valley traffic than Manhattan (or Miami).

HAve fun,

Frank

Listen, I know there are alot of passionate C-max owners, and I love mine after only 2 months.  But let's face facts:  this is not just "one opinion" --it is the opinion of a well respected organization who actually "tests" things rather than go by anecdotal info.

The last three mechanics told me the same thing:  you want reliability, go with Toyota.  Only trouble is you might fall asleep while driving one.  Toyotas are reliable cars.  It's a fact.  But the jury is still out on the C-Max.  It may prove that Consumer Reports is full of BS--or they may be right.  We need to wait.

But c'mon guys.  Just because you went on a long drive and had a great time doesn't prove anything.

Edited by Adrian_L