Remote Start Questions

I have the SE Base, and had been thinking about adding remote start, but I have a couple questions for anyone who ordered one with that feature from the factory:

1. I found 2 at ford's accessory site, one is square and does not seem to be bi-directional, while the more expensive one is (go figure):

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/c-max/2013/electronics/remote-start.html

Which one is the factory option remote start (bi-directional or not)?

2. Does the car shut off after some time limit - and can you set it?

3. Any other impressions of the system - is it worth it?

I ordered my vehicle with it,but I'm still waiting for it to come in. My understanding though is that its a dealer option, not a factory option.

Also, looking at the instruction manual, the C-Max Energi comes with remote start built-in from the factory. The hybrid requires the add-on for some reason.

I have the SE Base, and had been thinking about adding remote start, but I have a couple questions for anyone who ordered one with that feature from the factory:

1. I found 2 at ford's accessory site, one is square and does not seem to be bi-directional, while the more expensive one is (go figure):

http://accessories.f...mote-start.html

Which one is the factory option remote start (bi-directional or not)?

2. Does the car shut off after some time limit - and can you set it?

3. Any other impressions of the system - is it worth it?

I purchased a C-Max SE two weeks ago. It has the factory option remote. It is the square non-directional one. Don't know how long it runs as I haven't tried to see how long it will run and the owners manual that came with it doesn't mention anywhere how long it runs or if it can be set.

I can tell you that when you start it with the remote, if you open the door after it's started, it will shut off. I thought something was wrong because I've never had a car with a remote start that would shut off when the door was opened. After reading the very brief owners manual, I discovered that this is normal with this starter on vehicles with MyKey.

Is it worth it? It is to me when it's 1000 degrees in the shade and it cools down my car for me.

On a side note, did you know that you can hold down the unlock button on your remote for a couple of seconds and when you release it, all of your windows will roll down. Kind of a neat feature. You can stop how far they go by hitting the button again.

Edited by Michigan Max

I purchased a C-Max SE two weeks ago. It has the factory option remote. It is the square non-directional one. Don't know how long it runs as I haven't tried to see how long it will run and the owners manual that came with it doesn't mention anywhere how long it runs or if it can be set.

I can tell you that when you start it with the remote, if you open the door after it's started, it will shut off. I thought something was wrong because I've never had a car with a remote start that would shut off when the door was opened. After reading the very brief owners manual, I discovered that this is normal with this starter on vehicles with MyKey

That is funny because the one on this page: http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/accessories/Feature3/#page=Feature3

Shows the bi-directional one.

Also, why not let the car remain on if you have not yet programmed a mykey?

On a side note, did you know that you can hold down the unlock button on your remote for a couple of seconds and when you release it, all of your windows will roll down. Kind of a neat feature. You can stop how far they go by hitting the button again.

Thanks, I will check the window thing out.

It sounds like adding remote start is probably worth the money and I think I can handle the install myself. I am guessing the shut off thing with the door being opened must be to prevent theft, but also limit liability in case by some magic the car moved when somebody was getting in. I have a coworker who has the remote start (with pushbutton) on his new Escape, I will ask him if it has the same behavior when the door is opened. His remote fob is all in one with the keyless entry, alarm and remote start on the same fob, but it is not bi-directional.

That is funny because the one on this page: http://www.ford.com/.../#page=Feature3

Shows the bi-directional one.

The accessories page for the c-max shows both of them so I'd guess they would both work with it - I was not sure which one Ford was selling with the factory option though - based on the post from ZHack it is the square one. The bi-directional does cost more. I've also seen them on ebay for $225 - searched for the part number CM5Z-19G364-B.

http://accessories.f...mote-start.html

Edited by CNCGeek

My understanding is the factory unit is single directional and is $400+ as an option on the SE. The bi-directional remote is quoted at $299 and is a dealer installed option, but the $299 does NOT include installation. Obvoiusly the factory unit comes pre-installed (I would hope ;) ). I've always been a big fan on remote start but for now I'm focusing on other goodies to add.

Jay

if you open the door after it's started, it will shut off. I thought something was wrong because I've never had a car with a remote start that would shut off when the door was opened. After reading the very brief owners manual, I discovered that this is normal with this starter on vehicles with MyKey.

I asked my co-worker who has the remote start (with pushbutton) on his Escape, he said that his will also shut off when he opens the door, but if he puts his foot on the brake it will remain on - of course it would have to stay on long enough to do that.

Okay, I went through quite a lot with the remote start. I hope I can save you all some hassles.

I ordered the bi-directional remote start with my C-Max from Gary Smith Ford in Fort Walton Beach, FL. The bidirectional remote did show up as an option when you did an online build, but now does not. What they received and installed is the non-bidirectional remote start (though I didn't know it at the time). The installation took them 2 days. At the end of the first day they basically had the entire dash taken apart behind the steering wheel and behind the glove box. If I'd have known what it would entail I probably wouldn't have ordered it. When I picked up the car there was a butt-ugly black-box-looking antenna installed in the passenger-side windshield. It looked totally ridiculous and out of place (I would have put in on the back glass, not the windshield!). To top it off, it didn't even work due to a programming issue (there was a TSB on it from Ford). And then, to top that off some more, it wasn't the bi-directional remote starter I ordered. If that could possibly be topped, they scratched my interior in the process.

I asked for a refund on the unit and Gary Smith Ford agreed. I went back yet again for them to take the unit out. I later asked about the status of my refund and they said I would have to take it up with Ford. Now I see that the bi-directional remote is no longer an option when building a C-Max online, probably due to the programming issue.

Needless to say, I am pretty upset with Gary Smith Ford and Ford's sale of a not-yet-ready-for-primetime remote starter. I'm currently out over $400 and it looks like I'll have to go to small claims court to get it back. You can view all the details at http://www.garysmithfordsucks.com if you would like.

Edited by Mike

• 4 weeks later...

So, aren't these things dealer installed on the Hybrid model?  And if so... parts departments have seemingly weekly sales discounting parts around 15%. Anyone have and willing to share the installation instructions?   Also, does it start the engine and air conditioning / heater with settings the car was shutoff in?  Does it cycle between motor and engine, or is everything running off the battery?  I guess it is the geek in me that wants more than what they are providing information-wise.

So, aren't these things dealer installed on the Hybrid model?  And if so... parts departments have seemingly weekly sales discounting parts around 15%. Anyone have and willing to share the installation instructions?   Also, does it start the engine and air conditioning / heater with settings the car was shutoff in?  Does it cycle between motor and engine, or is everything running off the battery?  I guess it is the geek in me that wants more than what they are providing information-wise.

I've only had mine for a day and haven't gotten a chance to play with it much, but I do know it will start the gas engine if needed.  I think its no different than if you were just idling.

The Hybrid has remote start dealer installed, the Energi has it as part of the car (at least according to the instruction manual).  What I don't like about it is the location of the antennae is right off the rear view mirror.  The rain-sensing wipers sensor prevents the antennae from being installed in a decent place.

I've only had mine for a day and haven't gotten a chance to play with it much, but I do know it will start the gas engine if needed.  I think its no different than if you were just idling.

The Hybrid has remote start dealer installed, the Energi has it as part of the car (at least according to the instruction manual).  What I don't like about it is the location of the antennae is right off the rear view mirror.  The rain-sensing wipers sensor prevents the antennae from being installed in a decent place.

On my Passat with remote start as soon as you unlock the car the engine shuts off. Does this happen on the C-Max?

I'm not sure if its a soon as you unlock it or as soon as the door is opened, but it definitely shuts off.

Thanks, now can you tell me if your battery is charged does the ICE start? We were thinking of adding this feature but I can't find any specifics on how it works.

Edited by darrelld

Thanks, now can you tell me if your battery is charged does the ICE start? We were thinking of adding this feature but I can't find any specifics on how it works.

My battery was in the middle and the ICE came on after about 30 seconds of sitting there.  When I use the remote start the lights flash and the horn does a little chirp.  Then about a second later it does a louder chirp.  I think the first one is message received and the second is when the car finish the startup process.

Edited by zhackwyatt

sml_gallery_24_20_12842.jpg
sml_gallery_24_20_104225.jpg

Thanks for posting.  To me it looks like the installer cut a corner and instead of opening the mirror housing and threading the antenna wiring through the mirror shaft he cut a corner and double-sided sticky taped it to the bottom of the mirror, or maybe it goes inside that long plastic piece behind the mirror.  In some states what he did might be illegal as cops don't like seeing anything hanging from your review mirror obstructing one's view.  I went to fordparts.com and ask them if they had the install instructions online, but they were no help. :(

Edited by nemonik

Thanks for posting.  To me it looks like the installer cut a corner and instead of opening the mirror housing and threading the antenna wiring through the mirror shaft he cut a corner and double-sided sticky taped it to the bottom of the mirror, or maybe it goes inside that long plastic piece behind the mirror.  In some states what he did might be illegal as cops don't like seeing anything hanging from your review mirror obstructing one's view.  I went to fordparts.com and ask them if they had the install instructions online, but they were no help. :(

No, its supposed to be mounted with double-sided sticky tape to the glass windshield.  The problem is the auto-sensing rain wipers sensor.  http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles/files/pdf/2011remotestart.pdf  Check page 12 for mounting locations.  Granted, that isn't the 2013 c-max, but I can't find that at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I ordered mine w/remote start and was told it was a dealer installation.........and it wasn't available yet. 2 weeks ago the dealership called and it is in. I'm going to take mine up tomorrow morning to have it installed..........and now I'm having second thoughts.