Remote Start Questions

I'm also going in tomorrow for a remote start. Last week I had my SEL in for this accessory only to be told at 5:00 pm that a different part was required for the SEL. I was told the technician is very good and has no problems with the remote. Crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly this time around. Price quoted is $ 399 for single directional.

Just returned home with remote start for SEL. It's not bi-directional, though a red light shows when the button is depressed. The technician said he made sure the lights stay on when activated. Because it's a hybrid, he said to expect a quiet entry to the car and that applying the brake does turn off the car before restarting it again. Opening the door doesn't turn off the system. So far so good. This technician said he's not seen any problems with CMax and remote starts. Still learning on my part. Price was $399 plus taxes and some "hazardous disposal" fee of $19.95. I know that's often added after oil change but don't understand in this case. I didn't feel like challenging tonight, though.

Opening the door doesn't turn off the system.

If that's true, I would like to understand the difference between yours and mine then.  Once I open my door, the car shuts off.  I've read this is because of the MyKey system.

I'm supposed to get mine swapped out for bi-directional on Monday, so we'll see if that behavior changes.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are ordering the Energi today, Ford's website is not helpful for info on remote start. For the folks who have an Energi, is remote start standard? If yes, what kind of remote do you get? If remote start is not standard, I can't find it on the "build and price", how do you order it? For the NON-Energi owners, what does the manual say that suggests remote start is standard for the Energi?

Thank you!

Guybarth, we've got a whole alternate forum for Energi owners, but you'll probably want to read both this and that since most content overlaps. www.fordcmaxenergiforum.com. Join us!

Yea, remote start appears to be standard, we have a 5-button remote. Press Lock-Start-Start, and the car comes on for 5, 10, or 15 minutes. If it's really cold out, the engine may come on to provide heat, which isn't a great plan if the car is in a closed garage and plugged in. There's no feedback on the remote, but the parking lights stay on while the car is running.

Once MyFordMobile becomes live for us, we'll also be able to trigger that via smartphone app or website. We should also be able to schedule a time when the car will be warmed/cooled.

Cool, thank you MikeB!  I'm glad the remote start appears to be standard on the Energi. I'm not sure why Ford doesn't make that clear...

I'll join the group on the Energi forum.  I don't want to hijack the forum, but I didn't realize the MyFordMobile app wasn't live for the Energi, bummer.  I was just reading about it and I was looking forward to pre-cooling/heating the vehicle.

Thanks again

If that's true, I would like to understand the difference between yours and mine then.  Once I open my door, the car shuts off.  I've read this is because of the MyKey system.

I'm supposed to get mine swapped out for bi-directional on Monday, so we'll see if that behavior changes.

Had a slightly rough road getting the bi-directional swapped. Dealer didn't completely erase all traces of the old remote start from the car, so it was behaving oddly. (Climate would come on the opposite of what I had it when the car was off. Car would "reboot" over and over sometimes when I try to use the remote start. Brought them both keys so they could reprogram everything. Now it works fine. Love the bi-directional, better range too. It has a different antennae also.

IMG 0791

IMG 0793

IMG 0792

Much better compared to the previous installation.

IMG 0761

IMG 0760

Do your remote starts beep twice as the lights come on? My technician specifically emphasized that he set the car to keep the lights on and car running when the doors open. I asked about this because my husband's dealer installed remote on his Honda, turns the car off when entering (perhaps a security reason?). The tech said husband's car was connected wrong. Seems there's no one way to install these. Also, I must do a car search for this little antenna. So far I can't see one in my interior

Do your remote starts beep twice as the lights come on? My technician specifically emphasized that he set the car to keep the lights on and car running when the doors open. I asked about this because my husband's dealer installed remote on his Honda, turns the car off when entering (perhaps a security reason?). The tech said husband's car was connected wrong. Seems there's no one way to install these. Also, I must do a car search for this little antenna. So far I can't see one in my interior

The car or the remote?  The horn will chirp twice.  The remote will beep and has a green light both when it sends the command and when it receives confirmation from the car.  My car will stop once I open the door.  My understanding is this is due to Ford vehicles w/ MyKey.

If you start the car w/ remote start and it keeps running when you get in, then I could see how it would be difficult for the car to enforce the MyKey system.

Finally looked up what MyKey is. Clever system. My car is what some term Smart Start-no place for inserting the key but the fob needs to be close by when pushing button. Makes sense that remote starts differ. Oh, remote doesn't chirp but 2 red bulbs come on as the horn chirps and headlights come on.

Finally looked up what MyKey is. Clever system. My car is what some term Smart Start-no place for inserting the key but the fob needs to be close by when pushing button. Makes sense that remote starts differ. Oh, remote doesn't chirp but 2 red bulbs come on as the horn chirps and headlights come on.

Yes, and that is the difference between the standard and bi-directional remote start.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking at ordering an SEL with either a 302A or 303A package.  I still don't understand how some of these options work.

There is a remote start system that is bi-directional with start, one that is bi-directional without start, and a 100 series.  I also see a security system.  Each of these has a different fob.  What is the difference between these?  How many fobs does the driver have to carry? 

My goal is to be able to remotely lock/unlock the doors and turn alarm on/off, or to cool off the interior before I get into the vehicle (combined with keyless entry).

I am looking at ordering an SEL with either a 302A or 303A package.  I still don't understand how some of these options work.

There is a remote start system that is bi-directional with start, one that is bi-directional without start, and a 100 series.  I also see a security system.  Each of these has a different fob.  What is the difference between these?  How many fobs does the driver have to carry? 

My goal is to be able to remotely lock/unlock the doors and turn alarm on/off, or to cool off the interior before I get into the vehicle (combined with keyless entry).

I wrote this up, let me know if it helps: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/1167-2013-c-max-sel-ordered-1120-and-just-now-getting-vin/?p=8638

Also, there are only 2 remote starts, Bi-directional or Non-bidirectional. The reason you see 4 is because a different module needs to be installed in your car if you have push-button start (i.e. the SEL) or a normal key ignition (i.e. the SE).  To the end user, it behaves the same.

Your car will come with a keyless entry fob that will allow you to unlock/lock the doors.  The remote start fob is smaller than this one.

Also, AFAIK the C-max only has a perimeter alarm, meaning it will go off if any door is opened without using the Key or remote keyless entry.

They also have dealer installed alarms (I don't have one so can't speak too much about it).  I do not know if the "Vehicle Security system" as Ford calls it is compatible with the remote start or not.

Edited by zhackwyatt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Thinking about buying a C-Max Hybrid SEL. I read through the thread but was not able to find the answer to the question if the battery is charged while the engine is idling. That would be a benefit for the remote start option. Warm car and battery charged.

Does anybody know that? Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Thinking about buying a C-Max Hybrid SEL. I read through the thread but was not able to find the answer to the question if the battery is charged while the engine is idling. That would be a benefit for the remote start option. Warm car and battery charged.

Does anybody know that? Thanks!

From my experience with the Energi model, in hybrid mode, leaving the can "On" the engine will come on and off to keep the battery approximately half charged. Leaving it on doesn't charge the battery up all the way.

Yes, w/ the C-Max SEL, remote start is the same as just turning the car on and letting it sit there.  The engine will come on as the battery is depleted and turn off after it generates some charge.  It tries to maintain around in the middle for the most part.  If your buying the remote start to warm your car in the winter, then the engine will come on anyway to warm it up so it can provide heat to the cabin and in doing so will charge the battery.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, w/ the C-Max SEL, remote start is the same as just turning the car on and letting it sit there.  The engine will come on as the battery is depleted and turn off after it generates some charge.  It tries to maintain around in the middle for the most part.  If your buying the remote start to warm your car in the winter, then the engine will come on anyway to warm it up so it can provide heat to the cabin and in doing so will charge the battery.

My wife and I are considering the remote start for our SEL 302A for just that purpose (and for cooling the car in the summer). It sounds like they've sorted through the initial issues that people were having, so that's good. $650 is pretty steep for that, though, so I'm not sure if we're going to go for it.