TSB 13-9-9 CLUNK/RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT END DURING PARKING MANEUVERS AND/OR OVER ROUGH SURFACES AT LOW SPEEDS BETWEEN 8-32 KM/H (5-20 MPH)

Bill-N

TSB 13-9-9  CLUNK/RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT END DURING PARKING MANEUVERS AND/OR OVER ROUGH SURFACES AT LOW SPEEDS BETWEEN 8-32 KM/H (5-20 MPH) 

FORD:
2012-2014 Focus
2013 C-MAX
2013-2014 Escape

ISSUE:

Some 2012-2014 Focus, 2013-2014 Escape and C-MAX vehicles may exhibit a clunk and/or rattle-type noise from the left and/or right front strut area at speeds between 8-32 Km/h (5-20 MPH) over minor road surface imperfections

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Attach Rotunda Wireless ChassisEAR (JSP97202) or equivalent to the front strut mounts on the affected side of the vehicle.
  2. Road test vehicle. Is a rattle-type noise evident from the left and/or right front strut area at speeds between 8-32 Km/h (5-20 MPH) over minor road surface imperfections?
    1. No - this procedure does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-04 for normal diagnosis.
    2. Yes - proceed to Step 3.
  3. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to WSM, Section 100-02.
  4. Reach through the spring and pull the strut dust boot down from the strut bearing. (Figure 1)

tb10456b.jpg
    Figure 1 - Article 13-9-9

5. Pull strut jounce bumper straight down from the strut bearing.
  6. Liberally apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound or equivalent lubricant to the length of the strut shaft that contacts the jounce bumper plus 15 mm (1/2 inch).
    1. Ensure the lubricant is applied completely around the strut shaft. (Figure 2)

tb10457b.jpg
      Figure 2 - Article 13-9-9

7. Lubricate the top of the jounce bumper and position the jounce bumper into the strut bearing.
  8. Position the dust boot on to the strut bearing, ensuring the boot is fully seated.
  9. Repeat Steps 4-8 on the other side of the vehicle.

PART NUMBER PART NAME XG-3-A Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Thanks again Bill.

I have this issue to with the right front strut.  It's more of a hollow pipe knock that occurs over very sharp bumps like rail road tracks or pot holes.  I have mixed feelings about this fix.

I had that problem with the left front strut.... odd rattling/clunking noise from the left front when going slowly over bumps.  This isn't a new TSB, but apparently was updated to include the rear as well.

Took my car in for service and this TSB procedure did fix my problem.  Hooray.  As for whether the fix lasts, who knows.

• 1 month later...

Darn, I thought this was going to relate to the vibration I feel through the floorboard under my feet at all speeds- I think just due to the c-max's lightweight construction and my exceptional touch sensitivity.

I've actually had them remove the bottom air shield in an attempt to eliminate the vibration, but it persists, though at a less annoying level.

MPG seems unaffected or even slightly improved by the removal, so I've left it off. Seems counterintuitive, but google the mythbusters tests of truck MPG relating to tailgate up or down to get a full explanation of how the air bubble created by tailgate up and truck bed area causes airflow to slide over the open truck bed area much as I'm sure the bottom of my car does.

• 4 months later...

I've been to the dealer 2 times for a noise exactly like this. The dealer can't seem to hear it event though all of my family can. Don't know if it is incompetence or they just don't like to do the jobs under warranty (they get paid less) and charge the customer later!

Let me see how I can help, David. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll take a look.

Ashley

• 4 weeks later...