BCM grounding issue causing erratic/intermittent operation of electrical components.

ceemax71

New OASIS broadcast message today:

Nov 08 2013 4307 -2013 C-Max, 2013-2014 Escape, Focus - Body Control Module Ground, DTC U3008:13

Some 2013 C-Max, 2013-2014 Escape and Focus vehicles may exhibit DTC U3008:13 in Body Control Module (BCM). If DTC is present, a BCM ground issue exists and must be given priority over other DTCs or symptoms. A poor ground can cause low voltage to BCM, which could cause erratic, intermittent operation of several electrical components. Check ground circuits G107 and G301 on Focus and C-Max, G103 and G200 on Escape. To verify integrity of these ground circuits, use a suitable bulb to place load on circuits and measure voltage drop. With load present, manipulate wiring harness to check for intermittent fault. Repair any circuit that drops greater than 0.3 volts and re-test. Check pin fit in all BCM connectors with a flex probe. BCM replacement will result in repeat repair if ground issue is left unresolved.

It makes me wonder if this (or other similar ground issue) might be the root cause of some of the odd behaviors like the windows opening on their own or the dead 12 volt battery problems. 

It's possible that an intermittent ground issue exists without getting the DTC.

Very interesting. This could be at the root of many different sorts of problems, from the windows opening themselves to other electronic systems self-activating, and from there to 12 volt battery drains.

Full account of my global open windows feature going Frankenstein is in the Alarms & Locks Section. My car was just in the shop about this Oct 28 -Nov 7, and during work with the BCM advised by Ford engineers on the hotline (removing BCM, replacing BCM, recalibrating, etc) the car went dead for about 5 days until it could be revived. In the end Ford tried to disable the global open feature, but that did not work: global open functioned when I tried it at the dealership.

The timing of this advisory and my recent repair attempt seems too close to be a coincidence, but I do not know for sure. Because I have a buy back request under review I am getting a little less information. I do know there was a lot of back and forth between the hotline engineers and my service department, and it concerned precisely the self-activating global open feature, the BCM and the need to bring car back from the dead.

Does this now make my C-Max a zombie car? haven't yet tried starting it today. 

My history is telecommunications, the VERY HARDEST trouble to fix was ALWAYS a missing or loose ground!!!

That DC power WILL find a ground it may be turning on/off a light (rolling a window down, draining a battery), etc., ETC.

Edited by wab