Suggested tips for cold weather driving?

ERPriest

As the temperature drops and my first Chicago winter with my new C-Max is settling in, I am discovering that this car doesn't especially enjoy the cold.  The engine now takes quite a while to warm up and stays in ICE mode for much longer than in the warm weather.  When it does finally get warm enough and shift to EV, the engine temperature quickly drops back down and we are in ICE mode again.  This seems to be especially problematic for short trips.  My average MPG is taking a big hit.

Any tips for C-Max hybrid driving in the cold?

MOVE!    :)

Seriously, watch the HVAC temperature.  Many times the ICE will come on just to provide cabin heat.   Use seat warmers (SEL owners) to offset lower cabin temps.  Avoid short trips as much as possible.    Find a route that gets the ICE up to full temp ASAP.  

Others will have more tips.   Good luck! 

MOVE!    :)

Seriously, watch the HVAC temperature.  Many times the ICE will come on just to provide cabin heat.   Use seat warmers (SEL owners) to offset lower cabin temps.  Avoid short trips as much as possible.    Find a route that gets the ICE up to full temp ASAP.  

Others will have more tips.   Good luck!

I think the middle hybrid display is good for finding this out.  Sometimes I"ve been surprised by the engine on due to climate settings being displayed when I didn't realize that my climate settings required heat.

There are two approaches, change how you're driving, and modify the car.

The latter is to simply block off the front grill, improving aero drag and reducing the amount of cold air to the radiator and engine compartment. Look for work by Recumpence and ptjones, confirming engine temp is OK, and mileage rises.

Others have hit on the driving changes to some extent. As I just noted to someone else, there are several stages to warmup.

Stage 1: cold - ICE on continuously, turns off when warm, not hot

Stage 2: warming

warming 1 - EV only available with heat OFF

warming 1a - ICE will come back on and stay on

warming 2 - EV limited to 1 bar with heat ON

Stage 3: hot- full EV available and ICE turns on/off with throttle

I drive uphill for most of my first mile in the morning. I run defrost max until I hit the main road; turn heat off and I can EV. I take this as far as I can, and get a long second warmup run as a result. After the second ICE warmup run, I can EV with the heat ON, but only use 1 bar, perfect for a long flat run. From here, I play with heat and throttle but retain the 1-bar limit until I'm a good 5-10 miles from home...

And that's on a 25F day. Haven't had any lower, yet...

Have fun,

Frank

Hi ERPriest,

I live in Michigan, near Ann Arbor, and we had our first (light) snowfall yesterday and our first 20* morning today. I drive 17.3 miles to work each day at 7:30 am over back roads, thru 1 small town w/ 3-4 stopsigns and 2 lights along the way.

When I leave in the morning I use the bun warmers until the engine is warmed up. I only turn the defrost on at this point if I can't see out the windows. As soon as the engine warmed to about 1 bar (on the My View screen) I turn on either the defrost or the upper fan, set on 73* and about 3 bars of fan blowing. (My tolerance for cold has diminished this year )  By this time I can get into EV for short periods, but once the engine is fully warm, EV is a little more available. (There were a couple of trips last winter when the temps were near 0* that I couldn't get into EV at all.....but that was right after I got my C-MAX.)

Until today, with the temps in the 30s, I was able to get about 44.5 mpg average for the round-trip....with the return being at 5pm, warmer, and I always get better mpgs on the return, because it's more downhill. We'll see what today brings. I don't know what the temps are out now.

I have ordered gas pods from Aerohance in hopes that they will help me get better MPGs this winter than I did last.

Regardless of the miles, I love my C-MAX. I got great MPGs over the summer. As for winter driving, we had several snows last year, and I never felt *unsafe* driving my car.....and I came from a Jeep Liberty to the C-MAX.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it's going.

I'm sure others will chime in here with more information.

Some use grill blocking to reduce warm up's and help keep it warm longer. Reduce you heater temps. I use 78° for both A/C and heat to reduce demand on the system. As meantioned, use heated seats if you have them. Check your tire pressures too.

I run 51 (tire rating) in mine.

As the temps drop, so will tire pressure. Change your oil and use 0W20 full synthetic oil. I did @ 500 miles and now have 4000. My ICE is no longer loud when it kicks on. Add some Techron to the tank to clean the fuel system and carbon deposits. Charge your 12V with a micro processor charger to keep it @ maximum SOC. I charge mine at least every 3 months.

Cold weather will require more frequent service and help reduce damand.

Edited by drdiesel1

I'll second what Adair says.  Turn your seat heat up, don't power up any fans etc.until car is warmed up.  Wear your toque and gloves and you're good to go.  The car is nice and solid and safe in the winter.  The mileage will get better with the Spring thaw LOL.  Do you put snow tires on Adair?  My Tip drives like a Jeep with her snow tires on.

We didn't need snow tires last year either, but we had my husband's SUV so I didn't feel any pressure to put them on.  We are now a one car family so I thought I should buy them just in case. They make the car ride sort of rougher and they whine a bit, but I am getting used to it.  We want to go up to the mountains and cross country ski so we will need them then.

I hate to repeat myself, but Grill Covers make a big difference during the winter. If you had a ScanGauge you would be amazed at the difference. Even with the Grill Covers on last nite outside temp 43degrees it took 12mi at 50-55mph to get to 200degrees coolant temp. Without Grill Cover it probably wouldn't have made it to 160degrees. This morning it was 33degrees outside and garage temp was 63degrees and still only got to 147degrees with no heater on my 2.4mi. drive to work. It is such a simple thing to do, I don't know why everyone hasn't done it. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Paul, do you take them off when the car goes in for service or leave them on? If on, have any Ford people made any comments?

My service manager at FORD is fully aware of what I'm doing and he has been helpful getting info from FORD on operating temps in the past. I leave my covers on and everyone looks at them. They can't believe the MPG's I'm getting. They have confidence by now that I know what I'm doing. After reading all the info on the ICE system, It is designed to protect itself no matter what happens. I have not been able to get coolant temps above 236degrees which is still below the top white line on the Smart Water temp Gauge under the worst conditions! :)

Paul

I hate to repeat myself, but Grill Covers make a big difference during the winter. If you had a ScanGauge you would be amazed at the difference. Even with the Grill Covers on last nite outside temp 43degrees it took 12mi at 50-55mph to get to 200degrees coolant temp. Without Grill Cover it probably wouldn't have made it to 160degrees. This morning it was 33degrees outside and garage temp was 63degrees and still only got to 147degrees with no heater on my 2.4mi. drive to work. It is such a simple thing to do, I don't know why everyone hasn't done it. :)

Paul

What's the break even point mileage wise for your grill covers?

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest gains are found in two areas for cold weather;

First, do not let the engine warm up in the driveway. Turn on the car and start driving to get the most use out of the running engine.

Second, do not use the heater until the engine is warmed up. This keeps the EV driving more useable.

These two things make a world of difference.

So, where are you located? I am Mchenry.

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

What's the break even point mileage wise for your grill covers?

Immediately, your CMAX heats up faster so you can turn on the heat! LOL  And it is nice for your MPG's to go up immediately.  Depending on the cost of gas, probably 30k-50kmi., also it's nice to be able to go another 20-40miles on a tank of gas. :)

Paul

Any suggestions for improving efficiencies for short haul commuters?  When the weather was only chilly (35-45F), I could still do my daily commute in an Energi EV both ways with the defroster on - just barely. (My EV range with the defroster on drops from 21 miles to 11 miles, and my commute is about 9 miles round-trip.)  I did try driving with the windows down a little for air-circulation so I wouldn't need the defroster, but that doesn't work when the weather gets cold - my eyes water up.

However, it's been getting cold lately (15-20F) - and the ICE comes on a lot but mostly when I first move the car in the morning.  I've been watching my average gas mileage drop and drop.  It's down to 165MPG now.

My commute involves driving down a longish (for SEL* Michigan) hill to cross a river, and then back up again to work - and then back at the end of the day.

*SEL = South Eastern Lower Michigan.  A state made of two major peninsulas has potentially) 8 quadrants, although I think the UP is satisfied with East and West.

The car seems to run the ICE on cold (< 20F) mornings even when I don't use the defroster - and not having clear windshields is dangerous with my in-city commute going past a public school, downtown, and various parts of a University campus.

(I like that Ann Arbor is a pedestrian friendly town - but University students are completely heedless of physics and visibility and driving with a fog impaired windshield is too risky.)

The car seems to run the ICE on cold (< 20F) mornings even when I don't use the defroster - and not having clear windshields is dangerous with my in-city commute going past a public school, downtown, and various parts of a University campus.

(I like that Ann Arbor is a pedestrian friendly town - but University students are completely heedless of physics and visibility and driving with a fog impaired windshield is too risky.)

I still like my heater in the car idea if you can pull it off. Also I like Grill Covers to heat up the ICE  faster  and if you are driving faster than 35mph you might get an aero MPG improvement too. :)

Paul

"(I like that Ann Arbor is a pedestrian friendly town - but University students are completely heedless of physics and visibility and driving with a fog impaired windshield is too risky.)"

Could the inattentive Ann Arbor pedestrians possibly have anything to do with the fact that in Ann Arbor, marijuana possession is still a misdemeanor with only a $10 fine? I've stood in the Quad on a summer evening and almost got high just standing there breathing in the "atmosphere".

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you guys for the cold weather tips. At the beginning of November I was proud to be getting over 46mpg, but lately Boston has gone into the 30s and 20s. My current running mileage is about 10mpg below where it was a month ago, so I turned here for some tips.

Tonight I tried turning the heat off, and what a difference that makes! The engine warms much faster and I saw the blue EV light come on so quickly. It also took so much more time for the engine to cool down when I was coasting on EV or waiting at a traffic light. I never would have thought that blowing warm air into the cabin used so much engine heat.

My trip tonight gave me over 42mpg for a short 15 mile round trip in sub-freezing weather. It's not a route I usually take but I'll get a better comparison tomorrow on my way to work. Hopefully this will keep me out of winter depression, watching the lifetime mileage plunge month after month until April. One thing for sure: I'm glad I insisted on a model with heated seats!