Suggested tips for cold weather driving?

ERPriest

I frequently drive around with no heat or fans on and just use my seat heat and I'm pretty comfortable, but hubby hates it when I do that.  Last year when I asked him if he wanted to go look at Christmas lights in the evening his response was "only if you promise to put the heat on!" LOL.   We put snow tires on this year and the mileage dropped with them too, but I must say I really like the traction with them even though we only have a dusting of snow and usually don't get much snow at all here (south coast of BC).

Tonight I tried turning the heat off, and what a difference that makes! The engine warms much faster and I saw the blue EV light come on so quickly. It also took so much more time for the engine to cool down when I was coasting on EV or waiting at a traffic light. I never would have thought that blowing warm air into the cabin used so much engine heat.

My trip tonight gave me over 42mpg for a short 15 mile round trip in sub-freezing weather. It's not a route I usually take but I'll get a better comparison tomorrow on my way to work. Hopefully this will keep me out of winter depression, watching the lifetime mileage plunge month after month until April. One thing for sure: I'm glad I insisted on a model with heated seats!

And it works the other way around too.  If the radiator is clogged or the thermostat is stuck or the cooling fans stop running, etc and thus the engine begins to get hot, turning on the cabin heat and cranking the cabin fan will help shed BTU's which may protect the engine from overheating till one can get out of traffic or make the next exit.   If you don't have a temp gauge but only a "HOT" warning light, it will most likely be too late to try this trick by the time that comes on.

Although it doesn't get really cold down here, I've found that I can drive my NRG in the mid-30's with just the seat heaters so I don't need the ICE heat.  It helps that I have a partially insulated garage too.   I totally forgot about the rear passenger ac receptacle till today.   I'm going to let my rear passenger try the use of an electric heating pad as a poor mans rear seat heater.   

Edited by fotomoto

And it works the other way around too.  If the radiator is clogged or the thermostat is stuck or the cooling fans stop running, etc and thus the engine begins to get hot, turning on the cabin heat and cranking the cabin fan will help shed BTU's which may protect the engine from overheating till one can get out of traffic or make the next exit.   If you don't have a temp gauge but only a "HOT" warning light, it will most likely be too late to try this trick by the time that comes on.

Although it doesn't get really cold down here, I've found that I can drive my NRG in the mid-30's with just the seat heaters so I don't need the ICE heat.  It helps that I have a partially insulated garage too.   I totally forgot about the rear passenger ac receptacle till today.   I'm going to let my rear passenger try the use of an electric heating pad as a poor mans rear seat heater.   

I wonder how many watts an heating pad needs. LOL :)

Paul

Here in Northern California temps overnight have gone as low as the mid 20's in Sacramento area.  Maxus sat outside that night and had a thick crust of ice when I came outside the next moring.  I was wondering if prolonged exposure to sub freezing temps is a risk to our CMax?  I would think that with the factrory anti-freeze in the cooling system should protect the ICE from freezing and possibly bursting a coolant hose or pipe.  Any thoughts?  Not used to these cold temps in CA.  ICE is definitely running more with the heater turned up and the wife has the passenger seat warmer on.

Here in Northern California temps overnight have gone as low as the mid 20's in Sacramento area.  Maxus sat outside that night and had a thick crust of ice when I came outside the next moring.  I was wondering if prolonged exposure to sub freezing temps is a risk to our CMax?  I would think that with the factrory anti-freeze in the cooling system should protect the ICE from freezing and possibly bursting a coolant hose or pipe.  Any thoughts?  Not used to these cold temps in CA.  ICE is definitely running more with the heater turned up and the wife has the passenger seat warmer on.

Brother Mike, I would not worry, I had Maxine buried in the snow for almost a week and she was fine at Mammoth. Go look at the photos in my album. Plus we have folks in AK like Don.

Brother Mike, I would not worry, I had Maxine buried in the snow for almost a week and she was fine at Mammoth. Go look at the photos in my album. Plus we have folks in AK like Don.

Brother Jus, thanks for the comment I will not worry but DANG! it's been cold ever since that last system from Alaska blew through giving us our first rain in 90days and into SoCal then across the country riding on the Jet Stream.

Brother Jus, thanks for the comment I will not worry but DANG! it's been cold ever since that last system from Alaska blew through giving us our first rain in 90days and into SoCal then across the country riding on the Jet Stream.

Mate...you're telling me...it was down in the low 30s this morning and that is ABSOLUTELY FREEZING for us Angelinos who don't even know the word "jumper" (US translation: sweater).

I saw the effect of that storm as it went thru driving east ward - I pray all our friends in the north east are safe....that was one nasty ice and snow storm that went by.

PS Be glad that you don't drive in Antartica: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/10/coldest-temperature-recorded-earth-antarctica-guinness-book  Aside from the ice, not even Matt's aeromod will save him from the 20 MPGs in these ambient temps....pssss....-135F :drop:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'm getting my cmax sel this week. I have a fusion also that has shutters on the radiator. They got reprogramed on the powertrain update. Does the cmax have them? The fusion warms up faster since then. I'm in ev in a mile and a half with temps in the 30's and heat off. Garage is 50*

f

The biggest gains are found in two areas for cold weather;

First, do not let the engine warm up in the driveway. Turn on the car and start driving to get the most use out of the running engine.

Second, do not use the heater until the engine is warmed up. This keeps the EV driving more useable.

These two things make a world of difference.

So, where are you located? I am Mchenry.

Matt

Seriously? Do not warm the engine before driving to improve FE? I'm totally confused. I also live in Chicago where we are promised ZERO DEGREES tonight. I have been firing the engine up in the garage for a few minutes prior to driving the car. Are you saying I should fire up and drive right away? My FE has taken a major, major hit in this cold weather and I'm also looking for ways to squeeze the most out of it, short of grill covers. Help, please?

Seriously? Do not warm the engine before driving to improve FE? I'm totally confused. I also live in Chicago where we are promised ZERO DEGREES tonight. I have been firing the engine up in the garage for a few minutes prior to driving the car. Are you saying I should fire up and drive right away? My FE has taken a major, major hit in this cold weather and I'm also looking for ways to squeeze the most out of it, short of grill covers. Help, please?

Actually I try to get up to speed as much as possible so when the ICE starts you are moving at a significant speed to get the most from each drop of gas. Grill Covers are the best thing you can do to speed up the warm up time. When you get tired of no heat and poor MPG's cover most of the Grill somehow. :) 

Paul

• 1 month later...

Bought some inexpensive pipe insulation (foam) from hardware store to seal the front grille and I now have good heating and MPG.  Going to work from NYC --> Upstate NY (more uphill) getting 43.8 and return trip: 46MPG (more downhill) traveling 57 miles each way w/heat on and low to mid 20F air temp.

I also let the car run more in ICE in the beginning to get the engine temp. up for more efficient fuel burning throughout the trip.

Edited by cmax-nynj

Bought some inexpensive pipe insulation (foam) from hardware store to seal the front grille and I now have good heating and MPG.  Going to work from NYC --> Upstate NY (more uphill) getting 43.8 and return trip: 46MPG (more downhill) traveling 57 miles each way w/heat on and low to mid 20F air temp.

I also let the car run more in ICE in the beginning to get the engine temp. up for more efficient fuel burning throughout the trip.

Which vents did you cover ?  Picture would be nice.

I live in Minnesota - coldest winter in last 14 years.  I was getting 47+ in summer / fall.  When the temps bottomed out (10 - 25 below zero) I was getting 31-33.  It was a bit warmer today (mid 20's) and got 41.7 on the 21 mile ride home from work.  I refuse to turn the heat off (for obvious reasons).  C-Max is dependent on EV for good mileage - just can't happen when it's so cold.  I suppose I could do something with the grille to improve results. I'm hesitant to make any structural changes to the car.

I believe I posted this before but not in this thread.

I try to use up the battery on the way back to my house.  That way in the cold, when I start the car and the engine automatically goes on to warm up the engine filling the battery, it has a lot of battery to fill up in that process.  So the last couple miles I try to use lots of EV.

I also bought a seat heater from ebay for less that $20 that works pretty well.  

Edited by obob

I live in Minnesota - coldest winter in last 14 years.  I was getting 47+ in summer / fall.  When the temps bottomed out (10 - 25 below zero) I was getting 31-33.  It was a bit warmer today (mid 20's) and got 41.7 on the 21 mile ride home from work.  I refuse to turn the heat off (for obvious reasons).  C-Max is dependent on EV for good mileage - just can't happen when it's so cold.  I suppose I could do something with the grille to improve results. I'm hesitant to make any structural changes to the car.

Foam split-down-the-side pipe insulation can be used to block the grill without making any structural changes.  Cheap, effective, easily removed, survives automated brush car washes, etc.  What's not to like?  The looks perhaps.

PS:  It was 13 below at the house yesterday.  BN

Edited by Bill-N

post-1320-0-13717400-1392311959_thumb.jpg

Sounds familiar... this with upper two grills blocked. Highway driving as well; I get heat that way, without feeling guilty.

Frank

Wouldn't putting insulation over the grill block necessary air flow? I'd love to improve my mileage this winter in chilly Chicago, but would be afraid that this would block all airflow. Can someone post a picture, or at least a detailed description about how you did this? That would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

That's the whole idea - block air flow into the radiator so the engine stays warm. In Summer, you need some. In Winter, not so much. Check the grill block threads for data; this has been fairly thoroughly investigated and limits found, but mountains are always involved at the limit. Since I don't have any mountians nearby, I try to stay warm.

Have fun,

Frank

post-399-0-66954800-1392331477_thumb.jpg

Wouldn't putting insulation over the grill block necessary air flow? I'd love to improve my mileage this winter in chilly Chicago, but would be afraid that this would block all airflow. Can someone post a picture, or at least a detailed description about how you did this? That would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

How's this.  Note I didn't extend the insulation all the way to the side and I left the upper grill open.  These could easily be covered during the winter with no adverse effect.  Just keep an eye on engine temp.

Cheers.

Edited by Bill-N