Suggested tips for cold weather driving?

ERPriest

attachicon.gifIMG_0048.JPG

How's this.  Note I'd didn't extend the insulation all the way to the side and I left the upper grill open.  These could easily be covered during the winter with no adverse effect.  Just keep an eye on engine temp.

Cheers.

Thanks,  I like it.  Does it just stay on ?  I probably would use some twist tie.

I was looking at home depot.  They have thinner and thicker, and they have styrofoam-like(about $2) and kind of like a thick wet suit-like(about $5).  Looking at the picture it looks like you use the thinner styrofoam-like type.  And recommendations ?

Thanks,  I like it.  Does it just stay on ?  I probably would use some twist tie.

I was looking at home depot.  They have thinner and thicker, and they have styrofoam-like(about $2) and kind of like a thick wet suit-like(about $5).  Looking at the picture it looks like you use the thinner styrofoam-like type.  And recommendations ?

Yes. it just stays on.  I used insulation made for 3/4" copper pipe.  It slips over the horizontal fin; I cut slits in back for the vertical fins.  One piece came from Home Depot, another from Ace.  HD was cheaper.  I do know that it's NOT foam rubber material, it's definitely a plasticy foam of some sort.

Aha!  Found a piece in the basement that still had the label.  It's made by Armacell, LLC.  UPC code is 8 03014 11798 2.  Also has "OES 07838" on the tag.

Edited by Bill-N

Fantastic; thank you! Now for the $64k question: Have you noticed an improvement in FE since you did this mod?

And, duh: which info screen shows engine temp?

Slight.  Would be better fully closed, but it's been too cold to play around.  And I'm not a hypermiler anyway.  But it definitely speeds engine warm-up.

Engine temp is an option on MyView.

Cheers