Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Suggested tips for cold weather driving?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 112 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Bought some inexpensive pipe insulation (foam) from hardware store to seal the front grille and I now have good heating and MPG.  Going to work from NYC --> Upstate NY (more uphill) getting 43.8 and return trip: 46MPG (more downhill) traveling 57 miles each way w/heat on and low to mid 20F air temp.

I also let the car run more in ICE in the beginning to get the engine temp. up for more efficient fuel burning throughout the trip.

Edited by cmax-nynj, 10 February 2014 - 09:19 PM.

• obob likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 492 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Bought some inexpensive pipe insulation (foam) from hardware store to seal the front grille and I now have good heating and MPG.  Going to work from NYC --> Upstate NY (more uphill) getting 43.8 and return trip: 46MPG (more downhill) traveling 57 miles each way w/heat on and low to mid 20F air temp.

I also let the car run more in ICE in the beginning to get the engine temp. up for more efficient fuel burning throughout the trip.

Which vents did you cover ?  Picture would be nice.

#43 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 243 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

I live in Minnesota - coldest winter in last 14 years.  I was getting 47+ in summer / fall.  When the temps bottomed out (10 - 25 below zero) I was getting 31-33.  It was a bit warmer today (mid 20's) and got 41.7 on the 21 mile ride home from work.  I refuse to turn the heat off (for obvious reasons).  C-Max is dependent on EV for good mileage - just can't happen when it's so cold.  I suppose I could do something with the grille to improve results. I'm hesitant to make any structural changes to the car.

#44 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 492 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

I believe I posted this before but not in this thread.

I try to use up the battery on the way back to my house.  That way in the cold, when I start the car and the engine automatically goes on to warm up the engine filling the battery, it has a lot of battery to fill up in that process.  So the last couple miles I try to use lots of EV.

I also bought a seat heater from ebay for less that $20 that works pretty well.  

Edited by obob, 13 February 2014 - 04:01 AM.

#45 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

I live in Minnesota - coldest winter in last 14 years.  I was getting 47+ in summer / fall.  When the temps bottomed out (10 - 25 below zero) I was getting 31-33.  It was a bit warmer today (mid 20's) and got 41.7 on the 21 mile ride home from work.  I refuse to turn the heat off (for obvious reasons).  C-Max is dependent on EV for good mileage - just can't happen when it's so cold.  I suppose I could do something with the grille to improve results. I'm hesitant to make any structural changes to the car.

Foam split-down-the-side pipe insulation can be used to block the grill without making any structural changes.  Cheap, effective, easily removed, survives automated brush car washes, etc.  What's not to like?  The looks perhaps.

PS:  It was 13 below at the house yesterday.  BN

Edited by Bill-N, 13 February 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Attached File  MPG vs Temp Eway Base v PCM v VG v Snow 140131.jpg   16.07KB   0 downloads

Sounds familiar... this with upper two grills blocked. Highway driving as well; I get heat that way, without feeling guilty.

Frank

#47 OFFLINE   GreenChicago

GreenChicago

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL with Medium Light Stone Leather Interior and 202A package

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Wouldn't putting insulation over the grill block necessary air flow? I'd love to improve my mileage this winter in chilly Chicago, but would be afraid that this would block all airflow. Can someone post a picture, or at least a detailed description about how you did this? That would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

#48 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

That's the whole idea - block air flow into the radiator so the engine stays warm. In Summer, you need some. In Winter, not so much. Check the grill block threads for data; this has been fairly thoroughly investigated and limits found, but mountains are always involved at the limit. Since I don't have any mountians nearby, I try to stay warm.

Have fun,

Frank

#49 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Attached File  IMG_0048.JPG   106.56KB   6 downloads

Wouldn't putting insulation over the grill block necessary air flow? I'd love to improve my mileage this winter in chilly Chicago, but would be afraid that this would block all airflow. Can someone post a picture, or at least a detailed description about how you did this? That would be really helpful! Thanks in advance.

How's this.  Note I didn't extend the insulation all the way to the side and I left the upper grill open.  These could easily be covered during the winter with no adverse effect.  Just keep an eye on engine temp.

Cheers.

Edited by Bill-N, 13 February 2014 - 10:50 PM.

• obob likes this

#50 OFFLINE   GreenChicago

GreenChicago

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL with Medium Light Stone Leather Interior and 202A package

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Fantastic; thank you! Now for the $64k question: Have you noticed an improvement in FE since you did this mod?

And, duh: which info screen shows engine temp?

#51 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 492 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_0048.JPG

How's this.  Note I'd didn't extend the insulation all the way to the side and I left the upper grill open.  These could easily be covered during the winter with no adverse effect.  Just keep an eye on engine temp.

Cheers.

Thanks,  I like it.  Does it just stay on ?  I probably would use some twist tie.

I was looking at home depot.  They have thinner and thicker, and they have styrofoam-like(about $2) and kind of like a thick wet suit-like(about $5).  Looking at the picture it looks like you use the thinner styrofoam-like type.  And recommendations ?

#52 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thanks,  I like it.  Does it just stay on ?  I probably would use some twist tie.

I was looking at home depot.  They have thinner and thicker, and they have styrofoam-like(about $2) and kind of like a thick wet suit-like(about $5).  Looking at the picture it looks like you use the thinner styrofoam-like type.  And recommendations ?

Yes. it just stays on.  I used insulation made for 3/4" copper pipe.  It slips over the horizontal fin; I cut slits in back for the vertical fins.  One piece came from Home Depot, another from Ace.  HD was cheaper.  I do know that it's NOT foam rubber material, it's definitely a plasticy foam of some sort.

Aha!  Found a piece in the basement that still had the label.  It's made by Armacell, LLC.  UPC code is 8 03014 11798 2.  Also has "OES 07838" on the tag.

Edited by Bill-N, 13 February 2014 - 10:55 PM.

• obob likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

Fantastic; thank you! Now for the $64k question: Have you noticed an improvement in FE since you did this mod?

And, duh: which info screen shows engine temp?

Slight.  Would be better fully closed, but it's been too cold to play around.  And I'm not a hypermiler anyway.  But it definitely speeds engine warm-up.

Engine temp is an option on MyView.

Cheers

• obob likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·