Cold Weater Mileage Drop

JohnnOhio

when it is cold the motor goes on when I start the car and charges the battery up.  So I have been trying to finish my trips with a low battery so the warm up when starting the car has a lot of battery to fill when it is warming up the engine.

We dropped to +15 degrees in Dallas overnight.

I was born and in Dallas and raised in Grapevine. I know you aren't used to temps like that down there. I just got a wrong number call from someone in South Dakota. She aid it was -17 there with wind chills of -40's At  least I don't have that yet. That will get here tomorrow. I'm burning 8 hrs of my 532 hrs of vacation time I have saved up and stay home tomorrow. It looked like driving in a blizzard this morning just from blowing snow. Maxie drove good in it while other people were getting blown off of the road  around me. The wind was spinning cars out. Had a semi jackknife on the freeway just after I went through.

Thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the mpg drop during the cold winter.  I bought my C-MAX SE last spring and while I do a lot of scooter riding in summer, I did manage to get my mpg to 40.7.  Wintertime, I'm obviously driving the C-Max all the time,......I cut my own polycarbonate grill covers and applied them.  So far my mileage is currently at 39.0.

Did I mention I live in Wisconsin,..........air temp yesterday was -6,.........today -16,........wind chill worse yet.

I do wonder if anybody knows what the average mpg lost is on a typical gasoline engine from summer and then winter?  I know there's a lot of variable,..different cars, number of valves, size of engine and so on. But, is there a general average like - expect to lose 5 mpg during the winter as compared to summer driving?

Thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the mpg drop during the cold winter.  I bought my C-MAX SE last spring and while I do a lot of scooter riding in summer, I did manage to get my mpg to 40.7.  Wintertime, I'm obviously driving the C-Max all the time,......I cut my own polycarbonate grill covers and applied them.  So far my mileage is currently at 39.0.

Did I mention I live in Wisconsin,..........air temp yesterday was -6,.........today -16,........wind chill worse yet.

I do wonder if anybody knows what the average mpg lost is on a typical gasoline engine from summer and then winter?  I know there's a lot of variable,..different cars, number of valves, size of engine and so on. But, is there a general average like - expect to lose 5 mpg during the winter as compared to summer driving?

From the testing I did last winter you lose 2mpg for each 10degrees F from 70degrees so at 30degrees you have lost 8mpg. I have graphs in my galley. Gill Covers really do work and it's disappointing that some members still will complain about the cold when there is a simple solution. IMO :)

Paul

Gill Covers really do work and it's disappointing that some members still will complain about the cold when there is a simple solution

Ok, got it! No more mention of cold weather, temperatures, wind chill, mileage in winter, etc.  from me.

And for the record, I'l B---h about winter and sub-zero temps no matter what I drove because I'm a  :baby:

I have had 2 days with 74.x MPG to work (same exact route) in 43F-50F, grill covers and Gas Pods. I guess this is the new norm. 20.5 miles, 16.3 EV and 0.27 gas used. Also throw in limit to 2000 rpm (new toy). Warm up was much faster and I also think that garaging Maxine MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE. Tomorrow, I'll go back to the 2 bar straight burn and see.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Gill Covers really do work and it's disappointing that some members still will complain about the cold when there is a simple solution

Ok, got it! No more mention of cold weather, temperatures, wind chill, mileage in winter, etc.  from me.

And for the record, I'l B---h about winter and sub-zero temps no matter what I drove because I'm a  :baby:

The bottom line is that we can do sometime about our CMAX MPG's, but can't do anything about the weather unless we move to FL or AZ or SCal. LOL :drop:   It was 11*F this morning here at my house and 6*F in Atlanta a new record. BRR :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

...I guess this is the new norm. 20.5 miles, 16.3 EV and 0.27 gas used. ...

80% EV... I'm happy to make 70%.

And when the engine's running, you're still using less gas!! What are your regen numbers? You are either killing regen or I swear you're making like Fred Flinstone!

Aliens among us...

HAve fun,

Frnak

The bottom line is that we can do sometime about our CMAX MPG's, but can't do anything about the weather unless we move to FL or AZ or SCal. LOL :drop:   It was 11*F this morning here at my house and 6*F in Atlanta a new record. BRR :)

Paul

It is in the low 30s right now here in sunny Florida....guess I need to make a grill cover.