Cold Weater Mileage Drop

JohnnOhio

80% EV... I'm happy to make 70%.

And when the engine's running, you're still using less gas!! What are your regen numbers? You are either killing regen or I swear you're making like Fred Flinstone!

Aliens among us...

HAve fun,

Frnak

3.4 regen. I got good running shoes too...Skechers GoRun ;)

I use to nail this same run with 0.25 and 0.24 gas so this is still low MPG compared to the old days without the add-ons :baby:

@Paul: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: time to move to warmer weather areas & better MPGs.... ;)

Hmmm... so Paul moves from Atlanta area to SoCal (or any of us from similar area) to get better mileage:

Average sales price in Forsyth, Fulton, Dekalb, Fayette counties GA = $106.50 / Sq-ft

Average sales price in Ventura, LA, Orange and San Diego counties = $282.50 / Sq-ft

Sale of old 2000 Sq-ft home in Atlanta = $200,220 (after paying realtor)

Cost of new 2000 Sq-ft home in SoCal = $565,000

Moving expenses = $10,000

Total cost = $374,780

Now assume yearly MPG average goes from 40 to 50 with 25,000 miles / year:

Yearly cost in GA = 25,000 / 40 * $3.21/gal = $2006

Yearly cost in CA = 25,000 / 50 * $3.69/gal = $1845

Fuel savings per year = $161

Payback = $374780 / $161 = 2324 years!!!

P.S.  We gotta do something to keep our brains from freezing (about 0oF here yesterday)!

Hmmm... so Paul moves from Atlanta area to SoCal (or any of us from similar area) to get better mileage:

Average sales price in Forsyth, Fulton, Dekalb, Fayette counties GA = $106.50 / Sq-ft

Average sales price in Ventura, LA, Orange and San Diego counties = $282.50 / Sq-ft

Sale of old 2000 Sq-ft home in Atlanta = $200,220 (after paying realtor)

Cost of new 2000 Sq-ft home in SoCal = $565,000

Moving expenses = $10,000

Total cost = $374,780

Now assume yearly MPG average goes from 40 to 50 with 25,000 miles / year:

Yearly cost in GA = 25,000 / 40 * $3.21/gal = $2006

Yearly cost in CA = 25,000 / 50 * $3.69/gal = $1845

Fuel savings per year = $161

Payback = $374780 / $161 = 2324 years!!!

P.S.  We gotta do something to keep our brains from freezing (about 0oF here yesterday)!

We keep talking about moving back to AZ, have family there and lived in Flagstaff for 25 years. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

• 9 months later...

So as we head into fall, I'm thinking about the dreaded drop in FE with colder weather. I notice the talk of grill covers. But I thought the C-Max comes with automatic radiator shutters that give pretty full coverage and don't open until the ICE is at operating temp. So what is the added benefit to external grill covers?

Thanks,

George

So as we head into fall, I'm thinking about the dreaded drop in FE with colder weather. I notice the talk of grill covers. But I thought the C-Max comes with automatic radiator shutters that give pretty full coverage and don't open until the ICE is at operating temp. So what is the added benefit to external grill covers?

Thanks,

George

Get a block warmer.

...So what is the added benefit to external grill covers?

Better mileage.

The internal shutters do block air intake to the engine compartment, but they're internal, and they will open when asked. External grill covers smooth air flow across the front of the car, as well as blocking air intake all the time. Testing has shown that there are no engine temperature issues outside of stress conditions (long uphill in hot weather) as climbing a mountain in Arizona in the summer.

A block warmer is a great, if impractical, option is you aren't already equipped with an "immersion heater" or value your warranty. Oil pan heaters are an option, but that's not going to heat the engine block like an immersion heater, and are typically far lower power. Ptjones had done the most research...

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks,

George

Here are  threads that covers Grill Covers "CMAX Grill Cover Testing, 2-5 MPG Gain "  and Oil Pan heaters 2 MPG Improvement with Oil Pan Heater .

From my almost 2yrs of testing Grill Covers are the most effective way to improve MPG's all year around  and especially during the Winter. CMAX shutters leak a lot of cold air so Grill Covers are more effective in keeping the ICE hot (above 202*F WT).  With City driving the ICE never gets to 202*F( start of optimum operating temp range for ICE.) without Grill Covers!!! :sos:

ICE Block Heaters and Oil Pan Heaters save MPG's for the first approx. 10 minutes of driving time(short trips) where as Grill Covers save MPG's all the time. :shift:

Oil Pan heaters are easy to install and shorten the heat up time for ICE, but aren't as good as ICE Block Heater. Unfortunately unless your CMAX came with one it isn't easy to install afterward. I have one to install and attempted to install it, but you have to at least loosen the exhaust manifold if not remove it from cylinder head to get enough room to unscrew freeze plug and screw in ICE Block heater. I will try to find someone to help install it before Winter gets here.  :) 

Paul

Here we go...it was foggy and cold Los Angeles morning this morning. My usual route only pulled up 75mpg, very disappointing as I thought it may be a low 80s instead. Winter is almost here even for us sun birds on the leftcoast....  :sos:

Time for a Oil Pan Heater. LOL :)  It's worth a few MPG's on short trips.

Paul