Training the TPMS System (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

rek

To train the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) of the C-Max Hybrid/Energi after mounting wheels with new or different sensors:

Copied from the Focus Fanatics website:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301692

And this youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

NOTE If the sensors inside your wheels will not trigger during the training process, drive the car around for a couple miles to "wake up" the sensors then try the training process again.

Obviously, if you have the proper 315 MHz TPMS training tool, you do not have to release the air from the tires as described below, just use the pushbutton tool to trigger the sensors during training. Original Equipment Manufacturer Ford TPMS training tool (pictured) available on Ebay for under $50, or other brand tools available from Tire Rack.

$%28KGrHqF,%21q8FIzOcQgp9BSUv3t1Cpg~~60_

QUOTE FROM FOCUS FANATICS WEBSITE:
"Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!"

Edited by rek

I have the Ford Training Tool for my other Ford vehicles.  I never knew how to get into tire training mode on the CMAX however, until this post. 

On my push start CMAX SEL, after pushing the start button (no brake), and then pressing the hazards 6 times (basically on-off-on-off-on-off within about 5-7 seconds), the low tire warning light came on the dash.   I did not see any "train XXX tire" messages anywhere so I just went left front, right front, right rear, left rear, (it beeped each time a few seconds after I pushed the green button on the tool), and after the fourth beep, the low tire warning went away. 

No idea if my CMAX is reprogrammed correctly now or not, but when I had my tires rotated at the dealer a few months ago, and I asked them about reprogramming for the TPMS, they said it didn't need done and not to worry about it.  I probably agree, in that we don't really ever know which tire is low, just that one of them is low, with our TPMS system. 

Good post though, thanks for the info!

Edited by JohnTrigger

From the Focus Fanatics website post mentioned above:

"Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. If you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position if you like, but, since our cars do not display which tire is low it doesn't make much of a difference."

So you are correct, training is not really needed. I have been training TPMS sensors for years and I just assumed that I had to do it on my C-Max. I was not aware that the TPMS trains itself and doesn't really need to know its left front from right rear, because it just says that a tire is low, not which one is low.

Edited by rek

From the Focus Fanatics website post mentioned above:

"Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. If you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position if you like, but, since our cars do not display which tire is low it doesn't make much of a difference."

So you are correct, training is not really needed. I have been training TPMS sensors for years and I just assumed that I had to do it on my C-Max. I was not aware that the TPMS trains itself and doesn't really need to know its left front from right rear, because it just says that a tire is low, not which one is low.

I like GM's design. The DIC shows tire locations and pressures :happy feet:  My IDS shows tire pressures and locations,

so why not on the DIC :drop: It even shows sensor ID numbers :)

Edited by drdiesel1

I like GM's design. The DIC shows tire locations and pressures

That would actually be useful, you could tell if a tire is getting a little low due to a slow leak before it gets down to 25%.

Ford didn't take TPMS seriously enough to use one of the LCD screens to display the information, that's why I didn't bother with it on my snow tires.

That would actually be useful, you could tell if a tire is getting a little low due to a slow leak before it gets down to 25%.

Ford didn't take TPMS seriously enough to use one of the LCD screens to display the information, that's why I didn't bother with it on my snow tires.

Yeah. I'm gonna see if I reset the lower threshold to get an early warning.  I would like to have it come on about 35 or even 40 psi.

I run 51 psi.

Edited by drdiesel1

• 11 months later...

New winter tires on Saturday and I got a malfunction light on Sunday. I went back to the store to have my sensors retrained and he gave me a printout of the procedure, here it is.

1. Set to correct pressure. Set the emergency brake. Leave driver door open.

2. Turn ignition to OFF and press and release the brake pedal.

3. Cycle (press button) ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position. (Push button requires 2 presses for ON)

4. Push and release brake pedal.

5. Turn (or press button for) ignition to OFF position.

6. Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN position 3 times, ending in RUN position.

7. Horn will sound once and TPMS light will blink.

8. Scan tires LF/RF/RR/LR.

9. After LR sensor has been learned, turn ignition to OFF position.

**If the horn sounds when the ignition is turned OFF after step 9, you must train again**

I did none of these things this past weekend, and had no issues switching to snows with different TPMS sensors.

When I installed new snows, wheels and sensors last Fall, I did need to drive for a few days before the light went out. Of course, the dealer's service advisor said he hadn't installed sensors in his snows, and just ran with the warning light all winter... this is good to know - thanks!

HAve fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, did you get this to work? My idiot TPMS light went on a few days after switching my tires and the Ford training tool I bought does nothing.

I haven't and won't be switching my tires back until January when I leave for a trip to AZ. Discount Tire trained them when the snows were installed. I sure hope my Ford traing tool works, because I will be swapping them back myself in January and I won't have the time to go to Discount or the dealer for a reprogramming.