Aftermarket Backup Camera

Check out Amazon, they have several, some pretty cheap.  But you have to figure out where to get into the wiring for + 12 V.

I bought a couple of those generic designs for my wife's former civic and they were crappy.  One was totally unusable at night and the other was OK.  Neither had anything remotely close to the wide angle field of coverage the OEM unit provides.

One trick is to get the power off the reverse lights when they turn on. That way the camera isn't always on.

Yes, that's how I did it on the Civic but because of the CMax lift gate, the distance between the camera mount and the lights is very long so you'll certainly need additional wiring.

I bought a couple of those generic designs for my wife's former civic and they were crappy.  One was totally unusable at night and the other was OK.  Neither had anything remotely close to the wide angle field of coverage the OEM unit provides.

I ordered the "Sony CCD" version...so I'll report back how well it does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out Amazon, they have several, some pretty cheap.  But you have to figure out where to get into the wiring for + 12 V.

Maybe this will help for wiring for the backup camera:

From http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2793-after-market-back-up-sensor/

"Now there are three wires. Purple, Green and Black. If you cut the wrong one the car blows up. (actually the parking light goes out which happened to me) So use the Green for the hot reverse wire(red) and Black for the ground wire(red and black). (If you have the kit this makes more sense.) "

In that post there is also some pictures of the wiring behind the liftgate cover and info on removing.

Maybe this will help for wiring for the backup camera:

From http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2793-after-market-back-up-sensor/

"Now there are three wires. Purple, Green and Black. If you cut the wrong one the car blows up. (actually the parking light goes out which happened to me) So use the Green for the hot reverse wire(red) and Black for the ground wire(red and black). (If you have the kit this makes more sense.) "

In that post there is also some pictures of the wiring behind the liftgate cover and info on removing.

Thanks for the info, I'm probably going to power the camera via the Lockpick unit I just ordered. This way I can turn on the rear camera anytime while I'm driving:)

Edited by dumbcomputers

Hello All, New here but long time user of the nrg forum...

The description of the camera listed above states that all you have to do is wire it up and it will show you the image on your dash screen when you are in reverse. Is this true? If so, why do you use the lockpic devise? 

I don't think the video port is active when in reverse, you need the lockpic to get around that.

I would think the video input on the cable that goes to the rear would be active in reverse (and only in reverse). Maybe you are thinking about the video input in the center console?

I would think the video input on the cable that goes to the rear would be active in reverse (and only in reverse). Maybe you are thinking about the video input in the center console?

Yes I am talking about the video port in the center console.  I'll bet there isn't a cable going to rear of the car if don't have the rear camera option.

I'll bet there isn't a cable going to rear of the car if don't have the rear camera option.

Was just looking at the wiring diagrams. In addition to the video cable (that may or may not be included without the camera factory option) there is a "Parking Aid Camera Module" that connects to one of the car's communications busses. I can't imagine what it could do, other than to make it impossible to add an after-market camera instead of giving Ford much more money.

Edited by jdbob

Still waiting for the Lockpick to arrive but I installed the camera today and ran the wires to the front. Tested it with a LCD monitor to make sure everything works. I had to open up the hole a bit with a Dermal to get the camera to fit but it wasn't too bad. Running the wires was the most work.

post-1652-0-79723700-1388982965_thumb.jpg

post-1652-0-52643600-1388982966_thumb.jpg

post-1652-0-11252000-1388982967_thumb.jpg

post-1652-0-66686700-1388982967_thumb.jpg

post-1652-0-00316800-1388983238_thumb.jpg

Edited by dumbcomputers

So you got the Model 301 listed at the top? And It appears you used vehicle power after-all. You mentioned that you could use the lockpic as a power source, could that have worked or did you just get impatient? I am almost certainly going to do this.

This is the one I actually purchased:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/305305273.html?PID=6149725&cv=11032041&cn=null&tp1=1rng8yok8pj67&tracelog=null&src=ale&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aliexpress.com%2Fsnapshot%2F305305273.html&af=cj_6149725&vd=30

I hooked it up the power temporarily just to test it, it's actually being powered by a AC/DC adapter.

Yes Lockpick has power outputs for the camera:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/2013Videos/NEW%20Ford%20MyTouch%20FIM%20Lockpick%20Instructions2.pdf

Forgot to note that the built in LED license plate light built into the camera is much whiter than the stock bulb on the other side. I just ordered a LED  bulb for the other side to match the color:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310836792490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Scored it for 90 cents shipped:D

I'm probably going to install a front camera also in the future.

Edited by dumbcomputers

• 3 weeks later...