Aftermarket Backup Camera

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Just finished hooking up a rear cam to the lockpick in my c-max. As others have mentioned - running the video wire can be tedious - I used an RG6 wire w/ RCA heads as my camera didn't come w/ an RCA video cable.

The major issue w/ my install is that the camera is a license plate model - and it blocks finger access to the hatch release.

I have placed an order for the same camera as @dumbcomputers and also the LED light - I will replace the licence plate rig once it comes in (and seal the hole I drilled behind the license plate!). Btw, @dumbcomputers - any suggestions on how to route the video/powercables from this camera - do you have to take the license light/trunk handle piece off? if so how do you do this..

Some notes:

1. I did tap into +/- power from the LH side reverse light vs running power all the way back to the lockpick - seems to work fine - camera fires right up when I hit reverse.

2. after noting all the 12V issues in various threads - I wanted to ensure the lockpick did not constantly draw power - it seems to light up a red/green light when it is on - and it sees to click and turn off a few seconds after the ignition is off and interior lights go out - I cannot be 100% sure that it is not drawing power other than the audible click and LED light going off. Of course once you put the dash back together - it is not possible to see the lockpick's light.

3. Since I will have a free license plate camera - I was thinking about mounting it on the front - I did temporarily wire the video to the front port of the lockpick - it fired up just fine. I am considering using the 2.4ghz video transmitter rigs for the front side so as not to have to punch holes in the firewall. Any suggestions on what to tap for power on the front side?

4. While installing, I did take some pictures and can post them if folks are interested.

Thanks

moe k

Please do post the pics. I have managed to get into the video console in the dash but need particulars on how to remove the panels on the lift gate and in the luggage compartment. Thanks in advance

I got some tips from this video as far as the liftgate is concerned. I didn't route my cable the same way as they did to the front. I ended up running the cable (once I got it into the cabin side from the hatch side) down the passenger side and under the molding along the door opening until I got to the driver's seat. I then crossed over (under the driver's seat) and tucked the cable under the plastic center console and up to the dashboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCwud9FyGd4 (liftgate discussion in the second half of the video I think)

Edited by jdbob

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revisit an old thread, but this interests me as my SE with MFT (and Nav) didn't come with a backup camera although I thought it would.  I wouldn't mind doing what a couple of folks here have done with Lockpik and a camera but just to be clear:

1) Does the camera actually show automagically when you put it into reverse (and a factory installed one would) or do you have to switch the MFT system to use it?  (That would likely be a deal breaker, as my wife would be the biggest user of something like this and she can't even operate TiVo let alone switch any inputs around).

2) Does it or does it not void warranty?  What, exactly, are you modding here with Lockpik?  (I'm not going to do anything that even *slightly* messes with the warranty, at least for three years).

TIA for any information.

1) Does the camera actually show automagically when you put it into reverse (and a factory installed one would) or do you have to switch the MFT system to use it?  (That would likely be a deal breaker, as my wife would be the biggest user of something like this and she can't even operate TiVo let alone switch any inputs around).

2) Does it or does it not void warranty?  What, exactly, are you modding here with Lockpik?  (I'm not going to do anything that even *slightly* messes with the warranty, at least for three years).

1) Yes it automatically shows the camera in reverse. You can also have lockpick display the camera in any gear if you want, something you can't do with the stock system.

2) It's like with any after-market equipment, Ford would have to prove that it caused the fault.

The main thing the lockpick does is to take the place of the computer module in the back of the car that is part of the stock system. It connects to one of the CAN busses and let's the display unit (called APIM) know there is a camera in the car. It does some other things like allow multiple cameras. Two things it won't do that the stock system will do is to generate lines on the screen that move depending on where your steering wheel is pointed (the cameras come with fixed lines) and there is no Zoom function.

Thanks for the explanation and quick response.

Zoom and lines I can do without.  Not to flog a deceased equine, but when you say "take the place of the computer module" you mean (I assume) only the function that deals with cameras?  Surely not the entire computer function (which does a ton of other things and wouldn't be something I'd want to mess with -- heck, I had them put some NAV TSBs on so my GPS wouldn't *wander* as it is, and don't want anything to stop working with MFT as it currently does).

I've installed my own car stereos and bass expanders and feel comfortable with such things (although running wires is never all that much fun).  But I wouldn't say I'm a "great" DIY type guy, just fair to middling.  On a scale of 1-10 (10 being something that really requires someone who does it for a living, and 1 being my wife who, as I say, can't operate TiVo) how difficult would you rate installing the camera and Lockpick?  Any "gotchas" that, having done it, you wouldn't do it that way again? (Or do it differently).

In my old age I'm not above paying someone to install things but I kind of doubt I could find anyone in this area who'd have even a clue on how to do something like this, so I suspect it would all be up to me.  And if I messed up the look of our new car my wife... well, let's just say it wouldn't be a pleasant thing for my continued existence. 

Thanks for the explanation and quick response.

Zoom and lines I can do without.  Not to flog a deceased equine, but when you say "take the place of the computer module" you mean (I assume) only the function that deals with cameras?  Surely not the entire computer function (which does a ton of other things and wouldn't be something I'd want to mess with -- heck, I had them put some NAV TSBs on so my GPS wouldn't *wander* as it is, and don't want anything to stop working with MFT as it currently does).

I've installed my own car stereos and bass expanders and feel comfortable with such things (although running wires is never all that much fun).  But I wouldn't say I'm a "great" DIY type guy, just fair to middling.  On a scale of 1-10 (10 being something that really requires someone who does it for a living, and 1 being my wife who, as I say, can't operate TiVo) how difficult would you rate installing the camera and Lockpick?  Any "gotchas" that, having done it, you wouldn't do it that way again? (Or do it differently).

In my old age I'm not above paying someone to install things but I kind of doubt I could find anyone in this area who'd have even a clue on how to do something like this, so I suspect it would all be up to me.  And if I messed up the look of our new car my wife... well, let's just say it wouldn't be a pleasant thing for my continued existence. 

There is a computer module called the "Image Processing Module - B (IPM-B)" that is used to send configuration (what sort of guidelines, whether to zoom, etc.) to the camera itself. As far as I can tell from the workshop manual it doesn't appear to do any actual image processing. But in any case the lockpick appears to "impersonate" that module so the car's display knows it needs to accept video input when put into reverse. It shouldn't be interfering with any other functions.

The hardest part is wiring in the camera and running the wire to the front. Getting access behind the screen is pretty straightforward and their video is good. There is a video on youtube that shows opening up the tailgate to install a camera on a similar vehicle, there's probably a link to it in this thread someplace. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 7. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I had one put in by Automotive Concepts in New Hope MN. They do lost of them, as well as sunroofs (I had one put in as well).   The camera was about $900 installed. It takes some programming to convince the car it has a camera. It's done through the OBD II port. I suspect that if I do a master reset, my C-Max will forget it has a camera.

The weird thing is that I have a 2016 Energi SEL with navigation and heated leather seats that came with no backup camera. Go figure.

Coastal tech has a video showing how it is done, how to easily take apart the dashboard trim, plug in their harness, etc. So, as I understand it, I need to buy a loooong video cable and a camera that replaces the license plate light?

http://www.coastaletech.com/cmaxlockpick.htm

IIRC, the Coastal tech video completely skips over the process of getting the wiring from the rear to the front of the car.