Aftermarket Backup Camera

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone today with several ford dealerships and several manufactures of aftermarket integration systems and I thought I would share what I have found. Basically, if ford offered this backup camera as an accessory kit, that means that the factory included the required wiring to make it so. That being said, the backup camera is not available as an accessory and hence this is an indication that ford left out the ability to upgrade. To substantiate my claim, I downloaded the wiring diagrams from fords online resources as well as an install manual for the Nav-tv backup camera kit and what I found right away put the last nail in the coffin. Basically, in the connector that connects into the back of the mytouch unit, there are two pins used for the camera signal, pins 14 and 15. If your C-Max was not factory installed with a backup camera, then these two pins are not there. Following the install guide for the Nav-tv kit, they provide the harness that connects in these to pins and runs to the read of the vehicle. Also, the is a huge harness section that is missing as well. it connects at the connector C237 inside the center console and runs all the way to the lifts and ends at connector C494 which is where you cam hooks in.

Additionally, software flashes are vin tailored and the flash program ensures that your VIN is part of the software upgrade. If your vehicle VIN is not part of the upgrade, it cannot be installed. Therefor, vehicles that had the cam factory installed, had a different trim level inditification as part of the VIN.

After all this today, I have decided to abandon it and go with the nav-tv kit

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone today with several ford dealerships and several manufactures of aftermarket integration systems and I thought I would share what I have found. Basically, if ford offered this backup camera as an accessory kit, that means that the factory included the required wiring to make it so. That being said, the backup camera is not available as an accessory and hence this is an indication that ford left out the ability to upgrade. To substantiate my claim, I downloaded the wiring diagrams from fords online resources as well as an install manual for the Nav-tv backup camera kit and what I found right away put the last nail in the coffin. Basically, in the connector that connects into the back of the mytouch unit, there are two pins used for the camera signal, pins 14 and 15. If your C-Max was not factory installed with a backup camera, then these two pins are not there. Following the install guide for the Nav-tv kit, they provide the harness that connects in these to pins and runs to the read of the vehicle. Also, the is a huge harness section that is missing as well. it connects at the connector C237 inside the center console and runs all the way to the lifts and ends at connector C494 which is where you cam hooks in.

Additionally, software flashes are vin tailored and the flash program ensures that your VIN is part of the software upgrade. If your vehicle VIN is not part of the upgrade, it cannot be installed. Therefor, vehicles that had the cam factory installed, had a different trim level inditification as part of the VIN.

After all this today, I have decided to abandon it and go with the nav-tv kitI

Curious... did you read this thread? I suggest you read this whole thread from the top.

Edited by Smangerer

Yeah I did actually. The wiring for a factory back up is simply not in the vehicle. My case in point is the lack of the needed video signal wires going into the rear of the mytouch unit. Maybe you can finagle something using the video input in the center console but those connections are for a wholey different video system, and not the back up camera system. Also, the center console video connector is not integrated into the vehicle driving system to know when to put in reverse. So, if you don't mind flipping to video mode each time you want to put the car in reverse, be my guest but it is not a factory style back up camera system. If you look at this kit,

www.navtv.com/product/207/myfordtouch-cam.html

and the manual for it, you will see that you physically have to add the required backup camera connections to the mytouch unit itself. This fact alone is a good indicator of the rest. I have looked at the lockpick thing and from what I can see on their website, it says that " It cannot turn on the rear camera input in the vehicle that is not factory equipped." Why it says this is because the wiring is not there for it to do it. I have done extensive research on this since buying two of these cars last July to include the hours on the phone yesterday. That's why I have stated that it is best to go with a factory integration kit like the one I mentioned above. believe me, I don't like making non-OEM changes to my cars but in this case, its the only available option if you want the car to put the video signal on the touch screen, when you put the car in reverse along with the super imposed red/yellow/green guide lines. The kit above also includes the flashing module which you just plug it in the OBD-II connector, start the car and it automatically programs the system to use the camera. Once your done, you simply remove the flashing module.

Lastly, even after talking to a ford engineer, YES as ford engineer who is a family member, the above system does not void factory warranty.

Edited by Joseph B Howle

UMMMM no it does not. Look right down in the features section.... Quote " THE LOCKPICK CANNOT TURN ON A REAR VIEW CAMERA INPUT IN A VEHICLE THAT IS NOT FACTORY EQUIPED" it says it there is bold print. All the lock pick does is make the RCA hook ups in the center console will work when the car is out of park. The hookup is not for the back up camera, it is for hooking up a portable DVD players in your car. Yes, if you hook up a camera to it, you will see video, but not the backup video you are expecting. it will show whatever your point the thing at but to see, you have to hit the video option under the media button on mytouch to see.

www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=mytouchlockpickv2&d=coastal-e-tech-freedom-in-motion-mytouch-lockpick-(mytouchlockpickv2)

Listen, I hate to be the voice negativity but we cannot avoid the reality of the cars. Ford didn't give certain models, certain things and they made it so the car couldn't be modified. The C-Max is a different animal then all other American ford products, in fact the C-Max is a European vehicle that has been brought to the states from Europe only sales. They have been selling over there since 2004 and they have worked all the bugs out of it.

Edited by Joseph B Howle

UMMMM no it does not. Look right down in the features section.... Quote " THE LOCKPICK CANNOT TURN ON A REAR VIEW CAMERA INPUT IN A VEHICLE THAT IS NOT FACTORY EQUIPED" it says it there is bold print. All the lock pick does is make the RCA hook ups in the center console will work when the car is out of park. The hookup is not for the back up camera, it is for hooking up a portable DVD players in your car. Yes, if you hook up a camera to it, you will see video, but not the backup video you are expecting. it will show whatever your point the thing at but to see, you have to hit the video option under the media button on mytouch.

www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=mytouchlockpickv2&d=coastal-e-tech-freedom-in-motion-mytouch-lockpick-(mytouchlockpickv2)

Solidsignal is not the manufacturer.

http://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

APPLICATIONS INCLUDE ALL

ALL MYTOUCH BASED

FORD LINCOLN

SYSTEMS

NOTE:

THE LOCKPICK CAN TURN ON A REAR VIEW CAMERA INPUT IN A VEHICLE THAT IS NOT ALREADY FACTORY EQUIPPED

2011-2014 Ford Edge

2011-2014 Ford Explorer

2012-2014 Ford Focus

2013-2014 Ford Focus ST (Auto or Manual transmission)

2013-2014 Ford Taurus

2013-2014 Ford Escape

2013-2014 Ford F150

2013-2014 F150 Raptor

2013-2014 F250, 350, 450, 550

2013-2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid

2013 Ford Fusion Energy

2013-2014 Ford Taurus

2013-2014 C-Max Hybrid

2013-2014 C-Max Energy

LINCOLN

2011-2012 MKX

2013-2014 MKS

2012-2014 MKT

2013-2014 MKZ  (NOTE: WILL NOT ACTIVATE A REAR CAMERA INPUT FOR THE MKZ APPLICATION)

Edited by dumbcomputers

So to settle this once and for all, i called the company this afternoon to discuss the features of this unit. Basically, and i think you anf I can both agree, is that in order for the actual back up to work as ford intended, a flash needs to be completed to the C-Max. With this system, there is no programming required nor does the lock pick use that part of the cars computer. What this lock pick actually does is expand the already in place system in all my touch equiped C-Max's, the RCA connections in the center console. The box itself adds additional features to the these RCA connections, and not the factory camera system. I even asked them if this would be considered a factory OEM integration system and they stated it is not. Plugging this box in constitues voiding the warranty of the vehicle because you have to cut and spluice witing in the dash to connect it. This is also from the manufacturer, the incline connector only enable pass through of existing connections and add on to the Video wire for the RCA jack in the center console. It does not grant power to the lock pick. This comes from cutting in and splicing into other wiring.

I have never denied that this will give you back up video. I have only explained that it is not using the cars backup and parking assist function because it's just adding a signal and you car computer will not be generating it as is the case with a true OEM integration system such as the nav-tv product. The lock pick is cheaper only because they dont include the programming.

According to that video it adds 3 video inputs (beyond the console connection). One cable that is active when in reverse, which you will need to extend to the back of the car, and two others on the lockpick box itself. The two others require some funny stuff with the switch on the steering wheel.

Sounds like it will work for your needs, regardless of what semantics Joseph wants to get into.

According to that video it adds 3 video inputs (beyond the console connection). One cable that is active when in reverse, which you will need to extend to the back of the car, and two others on the lockpick box itself. The two others require some funny stuff with the switch on the steering wheel.

Sounds like it will work for your needs, regardless of what semantics Joseph wants to get into.

Yep. I think it will. It even supports a front camera which you can have automatically turn on if you like which turns off when you exceed 8MPH. I'm not sure why Joseph thinks you need to splice anything to install it. It is 100% plug and play no modifications to the car...it is easily removed if you need to get warrantee work done on the car;) The only thing I won't get is the bending reverse lines when turning in reverse, but I can live without that.

Edited by dumbcomputers

It seems clear to me that this adds a NEW rca input (three actually) which is active when in reverse (the other two can be toggled via steering wheel) and there is no need to cut or splice anything. Simple.

Let me know how you opt to run the cables to the rear camera. 

Thanks

I already ran them. I goes from the hatch through the factory rubber junction, through the headliner down the rear left pillar out to the rear fuse box. From there it goes above the battery then behind the plastic behind the rear  passenger seat behind the driver then under the carpet. From there it goes under the door sills along the left of the car and up to the front. It is completely hidden.

Edited by dumbcomputers

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Just finished hooking up a rear cam to the lockpick in my c-max. As others have mentioned - running the video wire can be tedious - I used an RG6 wire w/ RCA heads as my camera didn't come w/ an RCA video cable.

The major issue w/ my install is that the camera is a license plate model - and it blocks finger access to the hatch release.

I have placed an order for the same camera as @dumbcomputers and also the LED light - I will replace the licence plate rig once it comes in (and seal the hole I drilled behind the license plate!). Btw, @dumbcomputers - any suggestions on how to route the video/powercables from this camera - do you have to take the license light/trunk handle piece off? if so how do you do this..

Some notes:

1. I did tap into +/- power from the LH side reverse light vs running power all the way back to the lockpick - seems to work fine - camera fires right up when I hit reverse.

2. after noting all the 12V issues in various threads - I wanted to ensure the lockpick did not constantly draw power - it seems to light up a red/green light when it is on - and it sees to click and turn off a few seconds after the ignition is off and interior lights go out - I cannot be 100% sure that it is not drawing power other than the audible click and LED light going off. Of course once you put the dash back together - it is not possible to see the lockpick's light.

3. Since I will have a free license plate camera - I was thinking about mounting it on the front - I did temporarily wire the video to the front port of the lockpick - it fired up just fine. I am considering using the 2.4ghz video transmitter rigs for the front side so as not to have to punch holes in the firewall. Any suggestions on what to tap for power on the front side?

4. While installing, I did take some pictures and can post them if folks are interested.

Thanks

moe k

The light/trunk handle piece is held on by 4 small nuts on the inside of the hatch.If you take off the plastic interior panel you can see them behind it.

Hello everyone,

Just finished hooking up a rear cam to the lockpick in my c-max. As others have mentioned - running the video wire can be tedious - I used an RG6 wire w/ RCA heads as my camera didn't come w/ an RCA video cable.

The major issue w/ my install is that the camera is a license plate model - and it blocks finger access to the hatch release.

I have placed an order for the same camera as @dumbcomputers and also the LED light - I will replace the licence plate rig once it comes in (and seal the hole I drilled behind the license plate!). Btw, @dumbcomputers - any suggestions on how to route the video/powercables from this camera - do you have to take the license light/trunk handle piece off? if so how do you do this..

moe k

Edited by dumbcomputers

3. Since I will have a free license plate camera - I was thinking about mounting it on the front - I did temporarily wire the video to the front port of the lockpick - it fired up just fine. I am considering using the 2.4ghz video transmitter rigs for the front side so as not to have to punch holes in the firewall. Any suggestions on what to tap for power on the front side?

FYI, you can't use a rear camera on the front. The image will be reversed unless it has a toggle on the camera to switch from mirror view to non-mirror view.

I finally hooked up my Lockpick today and it works GREAT!!!! I'm surprised how quickly the video turns on once put into reverse. My only issue is I am unable to toggle the rear camera on while I'm driving forward...got to call them on this. I read on the Focus forums that this was a firmware issue with newer cars and a firmware update might fix this.

Fixed the issue with not being able to turn on the camera in any gear (*even when parked). It would have help if I read the directions before I installed it..LOL. On a Cmax you have to set the vehicle selector switch from "0" to "1" and set dip switch 11 on. Once I did that it enabled the steering wheel control to manually enable the camera when not in reverse:D

Lockpick is the bomb!!! Highly Recommended.

Edited by dumbcomputers

hello @dumbcomputers, just received the backup camera which goes in the license plate light bracket along with the correct color led light for the other side light.

i have a question - what did you tap into to power the little LED license plate light in the backup camera unit.. i tapped into the yellow/black wires tied to the now unused license plate light bulb housing on that side.. however the backup camera LED light seems to have 2 modes - bright and dim - when the car is off - after a few seconds it goes into dim state whereas the other side license plate light turns off completely - but the backup camera LED stays in dim state w/o shutting off.. 

have you seen this.

thanks 

moe k

hello @dumbcomputers, just received the backup camera which goes in the license plate light bracket along with the correct color led light for the other side light.

i have a question - what did you tap into to power the little LED license plate light in the backup camera unit.. i tapped into the yellow/black wires tied to the now unused license plate light bulb housing on that side.. however the backup camera LED light seems to have 2 modes - bright and dim - when the car is off - after a few seconds it goes into dim state whereas the other side license plate light turns off completely - but the backup camera LED stays in dim state w/o shutting off.. 

have you seen this.

thanks 

moe k

I tapped the LED to the original license plate light for the left side. I'm not sure if it is really 2 modes...my guess is that since the LED's are so small they are running from the power left in the line. My LED actually broke after a few weeks....I already got a replacement from the seller but I haven't replaced the original on yet.

When I swap it I'm thinking about tapping both LED lights to the same lead to see what happens. I'm hoping that the right side LED will pull enough power to turn both off.

I tapped the LED to the original license plate light for the left side. I'm not sure if it is really 2 modes...my guess is that since the LED's are so small they are running from the power left in the line. My LED actually broke after a few weeks....I already got a replacement from the seller but I haven't replaced the original on yet.

When I swap it I'm thinking about tapping both LED lights to the same lead to see what happens. I'm hoping that the right side LED will pull enough power to turn both off.

Hello, I can confirm that the light goes off after a while - not sure exactly how long -- so for now I will leave it alone - next project when i get some time is the front rig.

• 5 weeks later...

FYI, you can't use a rear camera on the front. The image will be reversed unless it has a toggle on the camera to switch from mirror view to non-mirror view.

I finally hooked up my Lockpick today and it works GREAT!!!! I'm surprised how quickly the video turns on once put into reverse. My only issue is I am unable to toggle the rear camera on while I'm driving forward...got to call them on this. I read on the Focus forums that this was a firmware issue with newer cars and a firmware update might fix this.

Thanks for being the guinea pig for this  :clapping:

Ordered a Lockpick and the same camera that you did.