In praise of my C-MAX in the snow

Adair

Between Sunday and Monday we got over 15 inches of new snow, on top of the 8 we got on New Years day. Yesterday was a *Weather Condition Yellow* so my boss said don't bother trying to get to work...........so I didn't. There was some plowing done yesterday and our driveway was cleared, thanks to Caleb, Jerry, and Asia.... but all area schools were closed as well as many businesses. People were advised not to travel unless it was an emergency. This emergency condition extends until 7am tomorrow (1.8.14.)

This morning I used the remote start for the first time in 13 months of ownership and it worked perfectly. I drove down our snow covered street with no problems. My route to work is mostly country roads, some bordered by shaved corn fields, completely open to the wind on both sides, so part of the road, though plowed, was drifted over by the high winds to a height of nearly 4 feet. Parts of the road were snow covered, cleared only by previous drivers, parts were plowed and polished to a high gloss by the wind. Traction control worked flawlessly at the badly degraded intersections. There was not much traffic, but I was able to drive at close to speed limit with no fear............and remember, I'm a  :baby: . I arrived at work well before most of the other employees, who live much closer.

This afternoon I used the remote start again.....from inside my office.....which is about 200 feet from where I parked. Once again, no problem. The roads were much better for the ride home......no drifts but much more *polishing* of the snow pack. Still, I felt no concern driving....not for my car anyway, more for those approaching from the cross streets.

I love my C-MAX!

(No mention of temperatures or MPGs was made in this non-commercial  :love_shower: )

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that report Adair.  My wife has surgery tomorrow morning and we are expecting 6-8" snow.  I have original tires and am pleased to know that can have confidence that those skinny high-pressure wheels will get us to the hospital in time.

Good luck to your wife in her surgery! 

I've read on CNN about the weather you folks are getting! Have safe travels, doodlebug! Give yourself plenty of time, as you would anyway, and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have now driven my C-MAX every day during the snowiest month on record for Michigan. In January we received 39.1 inches of snow.....more like Duluth than Ann Arbor. :doh: I was way more worried about the other idiot drivers :confused: than I was about driving Jelly! Traction control kept me on the straight and narrow when leaving stop signs/lights.  :shift:Many times in the morning the road I take to work was not plowed. Sometimes I was the first car thru. No problems! :woohoo:

Now, I know Jus is gonna say  :needphotos: So I will try later today.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/94955534@N04/12277699386/player/812dbaf55e" height="282" width="500"  frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

12277699386_812dbaf55e_c.jpg

Edited by Jus-A-CMax
I see grasshopper needs another lesson ;)

Adair, thank you. Nice shot. We have gotten similar snow here but it has melted quickly each time. Besides my Max, I have two older cars, so they see more use in the very worst weather and the C-Max sits safely in the drivway. I have taken it out in some pretty messy stuff though and been happily impressed.

The one thing that impresses me most in your picture is how clean and new-looking Jelly Bean is. It reminds me that I really need to take FoxC to the car wash. Silver hids the road salt better than most colors but it still looks dirty.

I have some experience with navigating on snow covered roads here in Cali.  It is a very different form of driving for sure.  Allowing more braking time and not mashing the brakes since it can send you sliding uncontrollably.  I remember being up in the Sierra's on my way up to Kirkwood ski resort.  Was traveling in my all white 1980 Toyota 4WD truck in a nasty snow storm with white out conditions up hiway 88 towards Carson Pass not far from Kirkwood.  Wasn't even sure which side of the road I was traveling since I couldn't see the centerline.  Bouncing off the snowbanks on either side of the hiway.  Until someone approached me in the opposite direction I wasn't sure which side of the road I was on.  Suddenly realized I was about to miss my turnout, jammed the brakes and slid head on into a snow bank towering higher than my truck.  Backed out and saw a nice impression of my trucks front end in the tall snowbank. That trip was the last time I left the SillyCorn valley when it was raining in the valley because that just means snowing in the mountains. 

Got to Kirkwood after a harrowing drive over Carson Spur which is downhill most of the way into the Kirkwood area.  Steep drop off on the cliff side and tall snow bank on the other side.  Just hoped I didn't meet anyone coming up?  Never did since when we got to Kirkwood they told us the pass was closed due to heavy snowfall.  Anyone who knows highway 88 knows that Kirkwood pays allot to CalTrans to make sure that road stays open during the winter, except under these severe driving conditions. 

That was the winter of 1988 or 1989 when we got so much rain through the winter months.  Unlike the last two winters where we have seen little or no rain.  Todays system dropped precious moisture and our first since October which was hardly enough to call rain. 

Getting back to the Kirkwood trip, when we got to the ski area since we couldn't go back to our cabin off 88 above Jackson. CA, we tried to see if we could find a cabin to stay in?  They told us all were rented, however since the pass was closed they let us stay in a rented cabin since the renters wouldn't be needing it that night.  Got to our cabin and decided to build a fire since the air inside was as cold as the outdoors.  The office said there was firewood on the stoop outside the back sliding glass door.  Pulled open the curtains and found snow piled as high the roof eve's and densely compacted to the ceiling.  No getting to the firewood, so proceeded to keep warm through body heat in bed with my then girlfriend and now my wife.  That's as far as I'm going with the story that night sorry.

But next morning went outdoors to my Toyota 4x4 which had a small lift kit and a camper shell.  Knew where I parked it but so much snow had fallen over night everything was under deep snow.  I found my truck but it was barely visible under a high mound of snow with faint out lines telling me which end was the front from the back.  Found the door but the key lock was frozen.  Had to go get hot water to thaw the locks.  Lots of fun to say the least.  Was glad we came well dressed for the the conditions so at least we weren't cold.

BTW for those snow bunnies out there, just so you know skiing was incredible that winter.  Kirkwood had an incredible 14 foot base with deeeeeepppp powder on the ungroomed area's.  One jump off the top cornice and shooting down the "Bowl" as it is called you disappeared into deep powder.  Me I stayed on the well groomed bunny runs I'm not a very accomplished skier, something ranking below a beginner.  I spend allot of time in the lodge at the bar with hot cider drinks when the high winds closed the chairs to the top of the higher ski runs.

Edited by mtb9153

Well, I have now driven my C-MAX every day during the snowiest month on record for Michigan. In January we received 39.1 inches of snow.....more like Duluth than Ann Arbor. :doh: I

But not as much as Grand Rapids, according to a Fantasy Snowfall league! And you're right about it being snowy, Michigan is leading the nation in big cities on the Top 10 list - Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Detroit and Flint.

If it's any consolation for you and Jelly, you're an inch and a quarter ahead of us... but we're having an average year, so there's another 3 feet coming before Spring. Hopefully you'll do better ... hopefully.

HAve fun,

Frank

The one thing that impresses me most in your picture is how clean and new-looking Jelly Bean is. It reminds me that I really need to take FoxC to the car wash. Silver hids the road salt better than most colors but it still looks dirty.

Thanks Tdefny, I laughed when I read this because when I was taking the picture I thought *How deceptive....it looks like I just washed it, when really it's just from the freezing rain that melted and took some of the gunk away.*

But not as much as Grand Rapids, according to a Fantasy Snowfall league! And you're right about it being snowy, Michigan is leading the nation in big cities on the Top 10 list - Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Detroit and Flint.

If it's any consolation for you and Jelly, you're an inch and a quarter ahead of us... but we're having an average year, so there's another 3 feet coming before Spring. Hopefully you'll do better ... hopefully.

HAve fun,

Frank

Oh, thanks Frank! I feel sooooooooo much better now! You guys are in the serious snow belt tho. I always cringe when I see the stuff leave us and head for you guys, cause I know it will pick up moisture over the lakes and be worse for you.

FYI, we have at least 2 more coming thru this week......sigh.

Just had our first snow for our c-max.  We got 10 inches, am wondering how deep the snow can get on an unplowed

road before the c-max has troubles?  Only the main roads are plowed here so will we be bottoming out?

10" sounds like trouble for the C-Max, I wouldn't have the nerve to try it!

We got close to a foot here in Eastern Oregon. I spent a few hours today with my tractor to clear my 1/3 mile driveway.

We got close to a foot here in Eastern Oregon. I spent a few hours today with my tractor to clear my 1/3 mile driveway.

After I posted that we got a 1/4 inch of ice on top of the snow so I gave up on the idea of plowing though it.

It should be all gone in a day or two as the temp is due to go to 50 degrees.  We live in Hillsboro OR.

My sincere sympathy to all those who have suffered dead batteries. I feared the worst upon returning from a 2 week Caribbean cruise. C-Max had to remain outside through one of our worst Chiberia winters. Several inches of snow in addition to 14 days of below 0 temps. It took my husband and me 15 minutes to sweep the snow and get on our way home, but the engine started up immediately. I'm very pleased that my battery worries seem over.

Hopefully some of you will see the irony...

What's the downside of trying to get through deep snow? If you say "getting stuck," consider that you're already "stuck" if you don't try.

Last weekend I finally got a chance to drive through some deep stuff. Worst that happened is my grill got blocked with snow, which we know only brings up the heat faster. We'll need more than a 14" storm for the next test.

HAve fun,

Frank

I would love to take my C-max out in the snow we are having today, but after first hand reports from 2 people who know how to drive in snow that it took them more than an hour to go 2 miles because of all the vehicles stuck, abandoned, sideways and sliding off the road I think I will wait until tomorrow.

Here is a photo from the WRAL website - this may be Hwy 54 between Durham and Chapel Hill:

post-383-0-73252900-1392239798_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaveofDurham