Trying to improve sun visor positioning

allyoop

One thing we noticed even before buying our C-Max was the sun visors. Unlike even our old Olds Alero, they don't slide on the mounting brackets to improve positioning -- something that would be helpful, given the huge C-Max windows.

More fixable is the angle of the mounting brackets. On swinging the visors to cover the side windows, they actually seem to rise up due to the bracket angle. I was planning to experiment by inserting some washers under the rearmost mounting screw, to drop the visors down some. Problem is . . . there IS NO SCREW ! The brackets appear to be attached with some kind of rivet.

Question: Does anyone know how to remove these rivets without messing up the appearance and performance of the visor system?

Or . . . does anyone have an alternative fix for the visor issue?

Thanks!

Walt in Everett, Wash.

Partial answer: the Ford tech I spoke with this morning said what I'm seeing are little covers that snap into the visor brackets to cover the philips screws beneath. When I get my car back after its software refreshment I'll pop them off and try my repositioning idea -- and report back.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Take a look at www.easyviewhd.com/.  Anyone use this?

I've seen that commercial on TV, and it did bring thoughts to mind about considering it. On the other side, I will admit to buying at least one thing from those types of TV commercials in my lifetime, and they always turned out to be junk.

One creative thought did come to mind, but I am not handy nor do I have to tools to do it. Perhaps the EVHD can be taken apart, cut smaller, turned on its side and then added to the side of the shade rather than vertically, allowing it to flip sideways. This would cover that bare spot of the side window, which always seems to allow the sun to shine in my eyes when it is on my side.

Any brave souls out there that are willing to try it?  :salute:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are screws under the little cover tabs on the mounting base for the visor.  I know because I unscrewed mine before to look and see if there was an easy way to fix the shitty visor positioning.  You'll have to pull part of the headliner to unplug the wiring for the visor.

Best case of action is that someone 3D prints a whole new bracket that is angled (along with an angled mounting hole to make sure the screws line up again.  Otherwise, I don't think the screws will seat in the roof straight.