Fog lights / Retrofit

Is anyone tech-savvy enough to know if one purchased all the components involved for foglights (lights, grills, wiring jumper, switch), one could make them work? The BCM (body control module) is identical across all models. My dealer service manager found two 'no' answers to this question, which is rather disappointing.

I don't have the fog's either, but would add them if there was a grill kit available for a reasonable price. I took some pics through the hole in the shroud which is right below the grills, there is not much behind them but I did see something that could be a connector on the passenger side, will check to see if it is on the driver side later and post back.

imgp0438.jpg

This was looking straight up through the hole on the passenger side, and could be a connector for fog lights:

imgp0436v.jpg

Otherwise there is not much going on behind the grills:

imgp0437p.jpg

imgp0434q.jpg

Edited by CNCGeek

Thanks for the photos and glad there is someone else interested in fogs.

I was able to pry mostly off the driver side plastic grill and took a photo (attached) of those connectors but without further examination cannot tell what they are. My parts person informed me yesterday that there are several different body control modules but I didn't get exactly what the differences are. For example, is there only one BCM or SE models ... but then what about SE options such as heated seats, power hatch, etc. The Ford parts site indicates only one, however as you probably know, that site doesn't give complete part numbers. I don't know anyone yet who can enable me to access the Ford/Motorcraft site which does have complete numbers.

Just to save keystrokes, here's a link the same question I posted on a Ford Technician site:

http://www.flatratet...860#entry224169

From peering into the bumper cover (photo attached), I did see that it does have the round shape to accommodate foglight mounting.

I've attached a diagram from the Ford site which includes what Ford calls a wiring jumper harness. I would guess from this diagram that the harness attaches on the driver side but since it is not very detailed, I don't know for sure. The price of about $12 minus any dealer discount would almost make it worth it to order and have a look.

I think removing the shroud and the non-fog grills, as well as having a jumper harness in hand would give us a better idea of the situation. The issue regarding the electronics and body control module is another, perhaps more important problem. If no dealer is willing to 're-flash' the module or even install a different module, I don't think I'd compromise my warranty but welcome any comments.

Finally, here's a link to a rather exhaustive fog light install into a 2012 Focus-S, which involved the BCM, wiring harnesses, etc.

http://www.focusfana...ad.php?t=290882

Of course, if all this would cost $500 or $1,000, I probably would not go for it. The grills themselves list for $91 ea.

Just to add fuel to the fire, in Europe you can have HID Xenon lights. These can be purchased online from various auction and non-auction sites. Would this install be impossible too? There are various resistors, capacitors which can trick the BCM into thinking is has the voltage of Standard halogen bulbs. But what about the amperage spike each time the HID bulb ignites? So many questions and as yet, few answers but this is the consequence of being an early-adopter ...

fog-jumper-wire.tiff

post-62-0-25436200-1351039732_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-91742600-1351039739_thumb.jpg

I think the total cost might be a couple hundred only if you use your own switch, bypass the module and cut a hole in your existing non-fog grills.

The official parts with approximate list prices include:

Switch $124

Plastic grills $91 each

Wire jumper $12

lights themselves $62 each

This doesn't include labor, if you can't diy and can find someone who will, as well as I have yet to check if the particular fuse holder has any wiring behind it.

Obviously, many of these parts can be found online at various sites, as well as dealer parts departments who may offer a discount.

If any of you folks who are interested could get specific info. on whether the different body control modules actually matter, that is, is the difference between them the inclusion of additional features such as foglights, heated seats, power lift gate or is there really only one BCM for the SE version?

I don't want to wear out my parts guy.

Thanks and I'll post actual part numbers later.

Even more info. from my post on a tech site:

'I personally went into the fleet version i have of Ford. The fog lamp equipt version of your ride shows an internal, integrated, fog lamp relay inside the BCM. This relay is left out of the non fog lamp equipt BCM'

I guess I check with my parts person again and get a price and maybe a part number too.

I know very manufacturer is different but when I did this on my 2010 Pontiac Vibe, you needed to insert a missing relay in a a relay panel under the dash. Even worse the power switch was on the blinker arm which required the steering wheel to be pulled. Pulling the Steering Wheel is a BIG deal because it envolves the air Bag. At least this car has the switch on the dash so no Steering Wheel issues. I wonder if the BCM can be opened and the missing relay be added?

Also what's the wire jumper for?

Thx,

Jay

I think the jumper wire connects one fog light to the other and then to the rest of the system. I have yet to explore if it is already installed and taped over as on some European C-Max versions but I doubt it. From the parts site and the diagram I posted, it seems to run the width of the front of the car, behind the grill.

Hybrid Dude... regarding HID Xenon lights,

The manual mentions that all electronics on the car run off the same battery pack as the drive train. Considering the amount of power the HID uses, would you be negatively impacting Hybrid mileage if you were using HID Xenon?

I should probably start another post specifically for HIDs but really appreciate your input.

I'm not an engineer but from what I've read, HIDs take a lot of amps to ignite but then use only 35 watts each bulb or so.

I mentioned HIDs because:

A) One can get them in Europe (though they have neither the Hybrid nor the Energi models yet)

B) I've seen photos from the 2011 Detroit auto show in which an Energi model had the HIDs equipped (photo attached). Granted, this was an autoshow model and since that show, Ford also canned the Grand C-Max but I've seen discussions in other forums about the desire for the HIDs specifically on the Energi model to save electricity.

C) I've wanted them on a vehicle I've owned since the late 1980s but have yet to be successful for a variety of reasons. I also don't want to hack into the headlight, cut the reflector and glue-in the HID units which are readily available everywhere and perhaps have trouble with vehicle inspections, alignment, warranty, etc.

post-62-0-70974600-1351177924_thumb.jpg

I spoke with my very knowledgeable Ford parts person this morning and he did find several different BCMs for the C-Max but the listing did not give a list of what each one controls or doesn't control. I think without further help from a current Ford tech/engineer who actually knows the C-Max, I've taken this as far as I can go ... disappointing.

My hope is that Ford will introduce an accessory foglight kit which will include whatever electronic black box(es) that is necessary, similar to what they've done for one of the F-150 models. Unfortunately, since I don't think C-Max sales will ever come close to F-150 sales, demand might not warrant the cost to design/manufacture such a kit.

One additional item. It seems, though I've never held the two in my hand, that some European versions of the Ford Focus, perhaps 2008 or 2009 to 2010 used foglight grills in the bumper that look suspiciously like they just rotated them 180 degrees and used them on our cars. It is so strange to see in photos on certain auction sites, as well as just photos. Many of the auction sites even show the grills upside down.

In the European Focus, the driver fog grill has one of the 'points' or 'corner' of the grill at the lower left of the bumper and the other 'point' at the upper right. The C-Max is exactly the opposite, one corner at the top left and the other corner at the lower right. (All descriptions is if you are located in the driver seat). They each have three 'fins' or ridges as well.

The reason I mention this weirdness is that there are less expensive grills out there, and even ones which include LED DRLs.

Check it out, search for

FORD FOCUS FOG GRILL LEFT HAND SIDE USED

I assume you are looking at something like these?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2009-2010-FOG-LIGHT-GRILLES-FOG-LIGHTS-BULBS-FULL-SET-/380432808245?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58938ff935

They look like they could fit, but it is really not possible to tell from the pic, the mounting points could be all different even if it is the same shape.

• 3 months later...

I've made no further progress. If Ford ever makes available an accessory fog light kit, that's the one I'll use. The C-Max currently (NPI) has too many electrical problems of unknown cause, so I can just hear the dealer stating, 'well, you added aftermarket fog lights, so if we even choose to try and solve your electrical problem, the warranty will not cover the cost ...'