Splash Guards - Molded, Black Frnt & Rear

mtb9153

Yea,...it was a tough call on whether to get these (not cheap, and than the wind resistance issue) but I did finally buy them in the late fall and installed them.

There not hard to install ,.......BUT,......you really do need to remove the tire for each mudflap install,..it just makes it so much easier because there is 1 hole to drill (through the plastic molding).  Maybe it could be done

with the tire on, but much easier with the tire off.

Well after reading that link if I understood it correctly, there is little impact on improving mileage.  But I wasn't considering them for fuel efficiency, more for curb appeal.  But the $100 price tag is steering me away from buying them.  Thanks to my salesman at Frontier Ford he has given me a business card with a hand written note on the back to flash each time I want to buy from their parts counter.  It entitles me to get items at his discount.  I'll have to check to see what it would cost before I make a final decision. 

A note about mileage and tiny things like mud flaps;

Ecomodder mentions removing them for a few reasons;

#1 Their mindset is to remove everything that is not 100% needed. Mud flaps are normally not really needed in most situations.

#2 Save weight. They may be light, but if you remove 20 things that are 1 pounds each, it adds up.

#3 A tiny aero improvement. If you save .05mpg by removing flaps, it is not much. But, just as weight loss adds up, so does aero. If you can save .05mpg here, .1mpg there, it adds up when you do it numerous times over.

It is the same in racing; this part saves 1 pound, that part gives 1hp more, that part improves high speed aero by 1%, this change improves cornering 1%. After a bunch of changes, you really begin to see a marked change. It all depends on how determined you are.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

I am a mud flat type, they prevent some grit damage to the rear of the tires.  As I was buying my C-Max, I went to the parts dept.  and found the mud flaps were available and got the part numbers.  On closing the deal with the salesman I got him to include installed mud flaps in the price I had bargained to.

Wondered if anybody has installed these

am5z-16a550-a-20120827183807_336x248.jpg

At $49.99 for a pair or $100 for a set I want to make sure they are worth it.  They looked nice on the SEL I saw at a recent car show last weekend.

On other cars, I have used similar sets (black) found at auto parts stores for considerably less.  Typically you need to remove the wheels to get enough room to install them.  You may have enough room on the fronts if you turn the wheels outwards but it's very tight.  I don't care so much about mud; rather it's the road tar flung up during the hottest months.

Edited by fotomoto

My Cmax came with them from the dealer for freeeeeeeeeeeeee. Around town I can average around 50mpg and highway around 42 so I'm getting better than average as it is. It probably will do better with them off but I do like the look of them on the car. I the difference is an mpg or two then that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Plus I live in a more rural part of Arizona and have a commute on a small two lane highway to work. All through the middle of empty Indian reservation land. It does save the vehicle from the infamous rock chips out here so I'm okay with that.

• 4 months later...

I installed these this past weekend. They look great and the moulded rubber fits perfectly. Really sharpens up the profile of the car IMO. Easy to install although you do have to remove the rear tires. It also gave me an excuse to poke around underneath the car. Bought them off eBay from fairway ford with free shipping.

• 3 months later...