2 MPG Improvement with Oil Pan Heater

ptjones

Looking at the datasheets you linked, I think you've actually found a good alternative to the oil pan heaters... low-wattage, open loop, but with mounting flexibility that allows them to be placed where they can be more effective than an oil pan heater pad. Regardless, you're still relying on a low-power heater so it can be safely used without a thermostat.

I still like the commercial imersion heaters, as they are thermostat-protected as well as intended for the application. I got one for 1 3/4" from a co-worker, and I'm impressed with the build quality, even if it's won't fit a C-Max. 

I'll consider installing one next year, as my mileage has improved so much over last year that I need to re-baseline performance if I want to give an honest estimate of the improvement.

Anyone out there have an immersion heater from the factory? Do you use it? What's it do? (Hoping for someone a ways north of you, Paul.)

HAve fun,

Frank

Just got the quote, it's a little more that I had hoped but still within reason, not much cost savings on a bulk order.  How's it compare to a dealership installed block heater or the dual stick-on oil pan heaters?

Tempco PN: FTF20009      

HEATED TAPE                                                                                                      1-9                   $211.80 each

Heating Tape - Silicone Rubber                                                                                10-up               $200.05 each

Size = 0.50" W x 216.0" L

With optional 120 V plug

Extruded Silicone Rubber

468 watts, 120 volts

Standard Lead Time: Three weeks - ARO.

I hope these pics will work.

CMAX BH

FORD CMAX ICE Block Heater

Rear side ICE Block

Rear Side of ICE bloke with freeze plug hole upper left. Exhaust manifold up above.

ICE Block Heater installed

ICE Block Heater installed center right.

Rear side of Block

Showing smooth area where oil pan heater could be installed.

/2 "to 3/8" adapter

Turned 1/2" to 3/8" adapter into 14mm Allen socket wrench. Had to do this to have enough room to remove freeze plug. :)

Paul
Edited by ptjones

A ICE Block Heater is probably the best, most efficient way to heat the ICE. Unfortunately it is the most difficult solution if it doesn't come stock with one. Oil Pan Heater is the easiest solution, but there is limited space on the bottom of Oil Pan(125W) so that limits size of Heater. But an additional Oil Pan Heater can be applied to back side of Block fairly easily that could have twice Wattage(250W of the Oil Pan Heater.This could have substantial heating capability.   Wire heat tape is another option that would be relatively easy to do, but not very efficient getting heat into the block and not sure what the long term effects on the hoses would be. The radiator hose circulating heater wouldn't be bad if you can get to circulate coolant into the block. I don't know if there are any room constraints. IMO :)

Paul 

...The radiator hose circulating heater wouldn't be bad if you can get to circulate coolant into the block....

Just to be clear, I'm not considering a circulating immersion heater, that is, one with a pump. The link shows all the options available.

The lower radiator hose heaters specify installation in a stretch of hose that's inclined upward, toward the block, with no downward dips between there and the block. I take this to mean they only use convection within the hose to distribute the heat. With a 600W element, there should be a strong thermal gradient... and I once drove ~200 miles without a water pump, using only thermally driven circulation. It's plenty of flow for warming a small engine like this one.

And I look forward to Paul's experiences this winter!

Have fun,

Frank

Just to be clear, I'm not considering a circulating immersion heater, that is, one with a pump. The link shows all the options available.

The lower radiator hose heaters specify installation in a stretch of hose that's inclined upward, toward the block, with no downward dips between there and the block. I take this to mean they only use convection within the hose to distribute the heat. With a 600W element, there should be a strong thermal gradient... and I once drove ~200 miles without a water pump, using only thermally driven circulation. It's plenty of flow for warming a small engine like this one.

And I look forward to Paul's experiences this winter!

Have fun,

Frank

Thursday Night it is suppose to get down to 28*F so I might try it out. :)

Paul

I left MADMAX(He doesn't like the cold) outside last Night to test the ICE Block and Oil Pan Heaters in the cold. This Morning I turned on the Heaters at 7:37AM the OT was 26*F, IT 33*F and WT 35*F then when I went to work at                                                                                                                                                                                                                 9:28AM  the OT was 36*F, IT 55*F and WT 83*F, a difference of 57*F. :)

Paul