Strange, long wooooo sound at steady speeds, ICE on

Alex Sams

That sounds really bad in the audio file.  Does it really sound like that?  Can you tell where the sound is coming from?  The noise I hear is nothing that loud in my car but it does come in and out like you are talking about.  Resonant frequencies can be very damaging.

Yes, it does sound like that. It's easy to stop by just changing the throttle a bit but sometimes doing that is a problem in traffic.

The tablet was on my wife's lap about a foot from the right door speaker. From the left seat it sounds like the noise is coming from the right foot well and that would make the door speaker suspect.

Other experiments I have done:

Tapping the headliner above the drivers seat did not affect the noise

Tapping the headliner near the interior light console does stop the noise briefly

Opening the door does stop the noise but not sure because my wife freaked out when I did that.

Activating the voice command system has no effect on the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

wb8nbs - my car makes that exact same noise as in your audio file and vibrates through the seats and steering wheel.  Mind if I share this file with my dealership?

I took it to the dealership and got the service writer to ride along with me and his response as soon as it did it - "what the hell was that?!?!" and "make it do it again" (which I gladly did)  Dealership tried that TSB for active noise cancel crap - it did NOTHING (well strike that, it messed up my hands free so now when I use my phone via bluetooth it sound like I've fallen down a well and no one can understand me). 

And mine only does it regularily when it's below about 15 degrees, so of course, once the dealership finshed the TSB, they didn't have time to test it that day cause it got warm and they couldn't test it the next day cause they apparently could not get me a loaner or a rental even though I had paid for an extended warranty to cover that and I needed to go to work as I had missed 2 days for this already, the very next morning I drove it and the car did that bad thing again.  I called and told the dealership and the service writer did not note it so the service manager thought it was fixed. And now it hasn't been cold enough for weeks and weeks.  I'm getting pretty mad about all this.  if they had gotten me a loaner or rental like they should have, they could have tested the car in the morning and it would have failed the test.

Wooo people:

Please turn on the tachometer display and report the engine RPM at which you hear the noise.

Someone posted these directions I think they are correct.

"Go to the Displays page on the left-hand mfd. Scroll up or down to get to MyView. Go right to customize. Again, up or down until the tach shows up."

I'll put that on the list of things to try.

Along with pulling the fuse that runs the noise canceller.

Thanks for the update, wb8nbs.

Please continue to work with your customer service manager to reach a resolution. Let me know if you have any updates, and I’ll gladly add them to the case notes.

wb8nbs - my car makes that exact same noise as in your audio file and vibrates through the seats and steering wheel.  Mind if I share this file with my dealership? I took it to the dealership and got the service writer to ride along with me and his response as soon as it did it - "what the hell was that?!?!" and "make it do it again" (which I gladly did)...

Welcome to the community, Jenie Benson!  :) 

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. What’s the current mileage on your C-MAX Hybrid?

Tricia 

Fair Oaks Ford worked TSB 14-0151 today on my C-Max. They said they did not find any problem with the wiring and they caulked up the microphones. As Jenie Benson reported though, it did not fix the problem.  Heard the moaning three times on the way home.

I have verified the noise stops if you open the door, and it does seem to stop if you open a window. Nest test will be pulling F22 in the rear fuse panel.

Thanks for the update, wb8nbs.

Please continue to work with your customer service manager to reach a resolution. Let me know if you have any updates, and I’ll gladly add them to the case notes.

Welcome to the community, Jenie Benson!  :) 

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. What’s the current mileage on your C-MAX Hybrid?

Tricia 

I've got just over 20K on mine. Had this issue since last winter just shortly after it reached 850 miles when the weather got below 15 degrees for the first time. Had it in a number of times for a lot of unrelated stuff covered under warranty and regular maintenance and dealership never could get it to act up. Then spring came and it stopped being obvious.

As soon as it started doing it this winter (which was late cause winter has been really warm this year), I took it in and had a service writer ride along with me. Finally someone other than myself or my husband experienced it. Left the car with them that day for troubleshooting and missed work. They found that active noise cancelling TSB, but did zero work the first day.  Called to ask if I could leave it another day.  I asked for a rental and didn't get one, but wanted them to fix the car so I left it. They waited until the end of the next day to finish the TSB and it was too warm by that afternoon to test it. I needed to go to work the next day and they still could not provide a loaner or rental even though I have paid for an extended warranty which covers that so I had to take the car.  Very next morning - WAHHHHH and it was not fixed.  Called the service writer from the car on my way to work as it was doing it and told him it was not fixed.  He must not have noted it anywhere because Chris the regional guy out here was talking with the serivce manager at the dealership who thought my car was fixed.  Totally not fixed.

Now it's been way to warm and I'm going to get stuck waiting until next winter which is what I warned Chris about. This is NOT okay. This is an expensive car and I expect it not to have this kind of issue.  I have started calculating how many days it has been in the shop for all warranty related issues to begin purusing lemon law - which totally sucks, cause other than this, I love the car, but my husband is not about to let us keep a car with a warranty issue the dealership can't find or fix. 

FYI, mine is an Energi, so the other catch is that I can't have charged the car to experience this problem. I spent about a month not charging the car every day (and wasting tons of money in gas) hoping the weather would be cold enough to get it to act up enough to take it back to the dealer. Once the electric only charge is depleted and it runs like a regular hybrid, that's when there is a problem (this never happens in electric mode).

Fair Oaks Ford worked TSB 14-0151 today on my C-Max. They said they did not find any problem with the wiring and they caulked up the microphones. As Jenie Benson reported though, it did not fix the problem.  Heard the moaning three times on the way home.

I have verified the noise stops if you open the door, and it does seem to stop if you open a window. Nest test will be pulling F22 in the rear fuse panel.

Let me know how this goes. I'm very curious since my hubby is convinced it's a mechanical issue - being a mechanic and all.  He didn't even know it had active noise cancelling until last month.

Fair Oaks Ford worked TSB 14-0151 today on my C-Max. They said they did not find any problem with the wiring and they caulked up the microphones. As Jenie Benson reported though, it did not fix the problem. Heard the moaning three times on the way home.

Edited by wb8nbs

I did the last test today. Pulled fuse 22 in the rear panel. There was absolutely no noise with the fuse out, but the bad news is, it kills all the speakers except the one in the middle of the dash. Radio sounds awful but it confirms the wooo is coming from the sound system.

I did the last test today. Pulled fuse 22 in the rear panel. There was absolutely no noise with the fuse out, but the bad news is, it kills all the speakers except the one in the middle of the dash. Radio sounds awful but it confirms the wooo is coming from the sound system.

Well I guess that's good news and bad news all rolled into 1.  We know where it's coming from, now we just have for force Ford to fix it.

Be sure to read the related TSB posted elsewhere in these forums tonight by Bill-N

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4799-tsb-14-0151-powertrain-droning-noise-active-noise-cancellation-anc/

That's the one they worked on Jenie Benson and on my car and it didn't help. DrDiesel posted part of it here last month. That TSB verifyss that the three microphones are wired to the correct harness, but does not check that they are in the proper phase.

So how would you correct for proper phase? Reverse the connection wire polarity, like you do with speakers that are out-of-phase?

That would happen if the microphone element was wired backward internally. Yes, you could reverse the wires or just replace the microphone, but I don't know how you could detect which one is out of phase without a good multichannel oscilloscope which I doubt your average dealer has. My dealer is going to escalate back to Ford, I hope they can get some engineers involved who actually know how the canceller algorithm works.

That would happen if the microphone element was wired backward internally. Yes, you could reverse the wires or just replace the microphone, but I don't know how you could detect which one is out of phase without a good multichannel oscilloscope which I doubt your average dealer has. My dealer is going to escalate back to Ford, I hope they can get some engineers involved who actually know how the canceller algorithm works.

I agree with this statement. I own a Pico and use it all the time. Too bad you're not near me. Good luck with

fixing it. Thanks for posting your findings. I hope they get it fixed without a long drawn out ordeal.

OK. So I guess the next question is, did the dealer check all the speaker wiring to see if any speakers are wired out-of-phase?

Good question. The TSB doesn't say anything about speakers so I doubt it. Do you think a car dealer could verify speaker phasing? Would I notice bad sound if one of the speakers was wrong?

Out of phase speakers (the "big" ones that is) tends to cancel low frequency sounds so you might experience poor bass response.

What about changing the balance front to back and side to side. :)

Paul

Good thought but the noise cancellation works with the 'radio' OFF so it should be unaffected by audio settings.  Oh well, try it anyway!

I agree with this statement. I own a Pico and use it all the time. Too bad you're not near me. Good luck with

fixing it. Thanks for posting your findings. I hope they get it fixed without a long drawn out ordeal.

haha, nice joke. I've been dealing with trying to get mine fixed for over a year - I would call that already a long drawn out ordeal - with zero results so far.

I took Dan, the technician that worked the TSB, for a ride Tuesday. Could only get a little of the noise that day but I played the recording through the car stereo and he believed me. They are escalating to Dearborn. We'll see.  The tech did show me where the three microphones are. So my next test will be duct tape over the mics.

I took Dan, the technician that worked the TSB, for a ride Tuesday. Could only get a little of the noise that day but I played the recording through the car stereo and he believed me. They are escalating to Dearborn. We'll see.  The tech did show me where the three microphones are. So my next test will be duct tape over the mics.

Where are three microphones? :)

Paul