Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Strange, long wooooo sound at steady speeds, ICE on

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:29 AM

The only time I ever hear a noise like this is when I am doing two bar burns or accelerating.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Alex Sams

Alex Sams

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

Okee dokee. It's just me then. I'll look to see if the cabin air filter is in there, if not, I'll get one and see if I can make the noise go away. Otherwise, I'll take FCS up on the advice and have it looked at while I'm still under the factory warranty. 

#23 OFFLINE   wb8nbs

wb8nbs

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location60565
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

My 2013 has done that since I bought it in Nov. It is a loud moaning sound and appears to be a resonance somewhere. Something loose.  It is definately related to engine RPM and load, will go away if I ease up on the throttle. Seems to only occur when the car is warmed up. My wife thinks the car is going to explode. I'll be taking it in to have that looked at soon.

#24 OFFLINE   Alex Sams

Alex Sams

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Let me and FCS know what you came up with please. I don't drive my car much, so I haven't had a chance to re-create it. Maybe we'll take a family outing. My sound seemed to be caused by the AC recirculation- with recirc off, we didn't hear the sound. It would be good for Ford to know about it, and figure out how to fix it so that customers won't have one of those bad visits to the dealer where the customer knows something is not right- but the dealer can't recreate the problem. 

#25 OFFLINE   wb8nbs

wb8nbs

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Location60565

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Have not taken the car in yet, it has not been making the noise lately. Did talk to service department though, they said they had not heard of that problem and had no bulletins on it.

#26 OFFLINE   beadgalsarita

beadgalsarita

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Locationillinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ford c-max

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I get the woo too, usually when accelerating with the gas motor (never with electric) usually kicks in around 20-25mph and will continue until I stop accelerating or get going fast enough. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

edit to add: got the woo tonight while on the highway. going 60-65mph. the heat/ac was not running. as far as I can recall, I've never heard the woo while driving that fast before. It was also hard to get it to go away. The only option was to step off the gas, but I couldn't do that for long as I needed to keep a safe speed.

Edited by beadgalsarita, 01 March 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   techman05

techman05

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationN.Y.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ford cmax se

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hopefully its the same thing except to me I had like a fish tank sound. I went it complaining about it and they found the presure was off by a miniscule amount and they re presurized some pump and bled it like a radiator and haven't heard it since.

Apparently its a hybrid thing and that I should get used to strange things. I'm going in for a fuel inlet error tommorow so hopfully that'll be  as quick fix as this.

#28 OFFLINE   Dave Greene

Dave Greene

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi and I've experienced what sounds like a "woo sound" for the past few weeks each time the ICE engages.

I took the car in to the dealer today to get a couple of the recalls looked after and mentioned the sound. They called me back late in the afternoon to say that it's the fuel pump and they've ordered a replacement.

#29 OFFLINE   Dave Greene

Dave Greene

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi and I've experienced what sounds like a "woo sound" for the past few weeks each time the ICE engages.

I took the car in to the dealer today to get a couple of the recalls looked after and mentioned the sound. They called me back late in the afternoon to say that it's the fuel pump and they've ordered a replacement.

Fuel pump replaced. Noise is gone.

• Noah Harbinger likes this

#30 OFFLINE   banditb17

banditb17

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 42 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

I don't know if it is the same thing, but I did notice a harmonic resonance at a very specific RPM of my ICU. It is a little annoying but doesn't take much to push it over that specific RPM to make things quiet again.

Maybe I can take video of it to see if it is similar.

#31 OFFLINE   Rpshipley

Rpshipley

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

I too have noticed this "Woo" sound.  We get it above 65 mph steady travel either ICE or battery.  Also noticed if there is a strong cross wind on the highway.  Suspect it is a resonance in the rear vent system as air is trapped in there.

Edited by Rpshipley, 15 September 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

I too have noticed this "Woo" sound.  We get it above 65 mph steady travel either ICE or battery.  Also noticed if there is a strong cross wind on the highway.  Suspect it is a resonance in the rear vent system as air is trapped in there.

You might want to have your dealership inspect, Rpshipley; they'll be able to recommend any service actions, if needed. How many miles do you have on your C-MAX?

Crystal

#33 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Or was it just the Whos Wooooing down in Whoville ?  ;)

Attached Files

• Wnuk likes this

#34 OFFLINE   wb8nbs

wb8nbs

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Location60565

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

I've talked to the Service Department rep twice about this and both times he blew it off.  "Hybrids make a lot of noises". The car still does the noise but have only seen it get loud a few times this summer.  It is specific to a certain RPM and load on the engine but as your foot does not directly control the throttle it is hard to induce the moan manually. It was more prevalent last winter (Chicago area), will see how it does in the months to come.

#35 OFFLINE   C-Max Smith

C-Max Smith

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

My 2013 C-Max is making the same noise.  The dealer had it three days and could find nothing.  They think it might be electrical. Ford said to compare it against another 2013.  It occures at all speeds and sounds like a bearing or belt in the tire.  I have not tried the "recirc" on the a/c.  The car was much quiter before this woooo noise started.  I am very happy with my vehicle and averaging 44 mpg.

#36 OFFLINE   C-Max Smith

C-Max Smith

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

My 2013 C-Max is making the same noise.  The dealer had it three days and could find nothing.  They think it might be electrical. Ford said to compare it against another 2013.  It occures at all speeds and sounds like a bearing or belt in the tire.  I have not tried the "recirc" on the a/c.  The car was much quiter before this woooo noise started.  I am very happy with my vehicle and averaging 44 mpg.

#37 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 577 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

I don't know if it is the same thing, but I did notice a harmonic resonance at a very specific RPM of my ICU. It is a little annoying but doesn't take much to push it over that specific RPM to make things quiet again.

Maybe I can take video of it to see if it is similar.

This is the sound I get too.  Done this since it was new.  I you get the ICE RPM right then it will vibrate.  A little more push on the gas pedal or a little less and it goes away.  Seems like a major vibration issue in the drivetrain to me.  I don't think the fuel pump would do this but I could be wrong. 

#38 OFFLINE   kostby

kostby

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 567 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid SE

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

Dave Greene above posted in message 29 of this thread that replacing the fuel pump cured the noise:

http://fordcmaxhybri...ice-on/?p=43287

But now you should probably wait until after Halloween!

Edited by kostby, 28 October 2014 - 02:42 PM.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#39 OFFLINE   wb8nbs

wb8nbs

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 53 posts
  • Location60565

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Cold weather is here again and the C-Max is making the noise often. Might be able to take a service tech for a ride soon.

#40 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:34 AM

This is the sound I get too.  Done this since it was new.  I you get the ICE RPM right then it will vibrate.  A little more push on the gas pedal or a little less and it goes away.  Seems like a major vibration issue in the drivetrain to me.  I don't think the fuel pump would do this but I could be wrong.

I know it's been a few weeks, C-Max Smith and scottwood2, but how are your vehicles doing? Are you all still hearing the noise?

If so, please send me a PM with your full names, best contact numbers, current mileage, VINs, and preferred dealers.

Cold weather is here again and the C-Max is making the noise often. Might be able to take a service tech for a ride soon.

Let's see how I can help your C-MAX stop protesting the cold weather, wb8nbs. ;)

Have you made an appointment with your dealer? Please send me a PM with your full name, best contact number, current mileage, VIN, and dealer info; I'll check my resources.

Rachel

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·