Strange, long wooooo sound at steady speeds, ICE on

Alex Sams

I took Dan, the technician that worked the TSB, for a ride Tuesday. Could only get a little of the noise that day but I played the recording through the car stereo and he believed me. They are escalating to Dearborn. We'll see.  The tech did show me where the three microphones are. So my next test will be duct tape over the mics.

Taping over the microphones did not make any difference. Tapping on the microphones, as someone else suggested, does cause the noise to fade out. It fades back in as soon as you stop tapping.

The microphones are in the headliner. They have small buttons about an inch in diameter with a grill opening. There is one above the drivers head, one above the front seat passengers head, and one behind the rear seat dome light.

I have a similar issue with noise. Now I am thinking that if you taped microphones, but it did not fixed issue, than could it be that these mics picked resonance off head liner, or roof? Would better physical isolation of these mics from headliner would eliminate this noise? 

Just a thought.

Went to visit friends over the weekend and the car made such a racket during the 4 hour drive (each way) I could hardly stand it.  Cruise control on, car completely warmed up and got to some small hills and the car starting making a loud wahhhh wahhhhh noise and everything vibrated.  This continued all the way to our friends' house on each incline.  By the time we got there, my ears were ringing and my body felt tired from the vibration.  Outside temp during the drive was hovering around zero. No reason in the world a car sold in Minnesota should not function normally at zero.

Dealership will be getting my car tomorrow (it's due for an oil change and I will be demanding they fix the messed up sync hands free they caused when they did the tsb as well as all the loose pieces of trim they did not properly put back after adjusting crap under the headliner).  I will be taking anyone and everyone who works at the dealership (maybe even the head of sales) for a ride in my car to let them experience the issue first hand.  I plan to refuse to pick the car up until it is permanently fixed or they replace it with one that doesn't have this problem at no charge to me. I am about to place a phone call to the regional guy from Ford who I have been in contact with to give him the heads up that this is happening.  Then calling the service manager at the dealership to give him the heads up so he can line up the rental car that Ford (or maybe it's my extended warranty company) will be paying for (FYI, if your dealership says that warranty pays for a rental, be sure to clarify whose warranty. Ford's doesn't, but I purchased the overpriced extended warranty and it does - which is why I am pretty mad the last time they had my car they stonewalled and didn't get me a rental and then gave me the car back without actually fixing the problem).

Went to visit friends over the weekend and the car made such a racket during the 4 hour drive (each way) I could hardly stand it.  Cruise control on, car completely warmed up and got to some small hills and the car starting making a loud wahhhh wahhhhh noise and everything vibrated.  This continued all the way to our friends' house on each incline.  By the time we got there, my ears were ringing and my body felt tired from the vibration.  Outside temp during the drive was hovering around zero. No reason in the world a car sold in Minnesota should not function normally at zero.

Dealership will be getting my car tomorrow (it's due for an oil change and I will be demanding they fix the messed up sync hands free they caused when they did the tsb as well as all the loose pieces of trim they did not properly put back after adjusting crap under the headliner).  I will be taking anyone and everyone who works at the dealership (maybe even the head of sales) for a ride in my car to let them experience the issue first hand.  I plan to refuse to pick the car up until it is permanently fixed or they replace it with one that doesn't have this problem at no charge to me. I am about to place a phone call to the regional guy from Ford who I have been in contact with to give him the heads up that this is happening.  Then calling the service manager at the dealership to give him the heads up so he can line up the rental car that Ford (or maybe it's my extended warranty company) will be paying for (FYI, if your dealership says that warranty pays for a rental, be sure to clarify whose warranty. Ford's doesn't, but I purchased the overpriced extended warranty and it does - which is why I am pretty mad the last time they had my car they stonewalled and didn't get me a rental and then gave me the car back without actually fixing the problem).

You do know that you can get a rental car elsewhere and get a reimbursement, right ?

Taping over the microphones did not make any difference. Tapping on the microphones, as someone else suggested, does cause the noise to fade out. It fades back in as soon as you stop tapping.

The microphones are in the headliner. They have small buttons about an inch in diameter with a grill opening. There is one above the drivers head, one above the front seat passengers head, and one behind the rear seat dome light.

Hey guys,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

I have a similar issue with noise. Now I am thinking that if you taped microphones, but it did not fixed issue, than could it be that these mics picked resonance off head liner, or roof? Would better physical isolation of these mics from headliner would eliminate this noise? 

Just a thought.

dmk2000,

What’s the current mileage on your C-MAX? I'll be happy to check int available options to assist!

Tricia 

Edited by FordService

You do know that you can get a rental car elsewhere and get a reimbursement, right ?

Yes, I know they say that, but why should i have to spend more of my own hard earned (and needed for other bills including the car payment) money up front and then wait for a reimbursement check?  That's like giving a free loan to the extended warranty company that I already bought an expensive extended warranty from.  And apparently, all local rental places were out of cars (according to the dealership) due to a large storm we had causing delivery of cars to be delayed or something.  So I would not have been able to get one myself anyways.  When I pay for a service product, I expect to receive that service - I don't see how that's a bad stance to take.

Hey guys,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Tricia 

It apparently already is escalated - which hasn't done a lot of good so far.  I've already been in touch with Chris who is the regional guy out here in Minnesota. My car is currently at the dealership and they are attempting to find the source of the issue. The dealership says they have a call in to the field engineer and to the Ford Hotline in Detroit for assistance. 

The information I got by phone this morning is that apparently whomever at the Hotline they spoke to is convinced it's my roof rack (even though they haven't heard the noise and are not taking into account that the roof rack was installed in May 2014 - a full 6 months AFTER the issue started).  So, the dealership will be wasting time taking my roof rack off today to test that theory and then putting it back on since it's like -9 degrees here and I was not about to freeze off my fingers to put it back on since the first time I installed it it took over an hour. So I drove over to the dealership with the necessary keys etc, so they can remove the rack. Not super excited about having them remove it and then reinstall it without the instruction sheet (remeasuring for proper mounting and so forth). I have training in the install of these racks and know that precise measurement at install is key to not damaging the roof of your car or having the rack peel off when you're driving with stuff on it. Dealership didn't seem as concerned as they should about the fact that I didn't have the install sheets to give them (they are currently in my office at work) and seemed to think they could just unlock and remove it after marking it's position and that it would just go back on easy.  I get the feeling they have never installed one before and certainly haven't seen one loosen during use or damage a car from improper install (which I have in my line of work).

My husband is a mechanic and is fairly certain the issue is coming from the transmission - however, it doesn't seem like the dealership has been looking into that at all.  They said something about an exhaust resonance when I was just there dropping off the roof rack keys. If it's an exhaust resonance, why does it only happen when it's under 15 degrees ambient outdoor temp and only at specific RPMs and happens regardless of how long you have been driving the car (ie. it happens even when you've been driving for hours on the interstate so the car is fully warmed up and the exhaust pipes would be burning hot from use).

Exh. boom is an RPM related issue. You don't understand it, so why not just let the dealer worry about it.

Yes, roof racks are known to cause noise. They need to remove it to eliminate any chance of it interfering

with their work. You sound cynical about everything.  It sounds to me like they're doing everything they

can and they are also keeping you informed about it. Let them work on it and relax.

Edited by drdiesel1

It apparently already is escalated - which hasn't done a lot of good so far.  I've already been in touch with Chris who is the regional guy out here in Minnesota. My car is currently at the dealership and they are attempting to find the source of the issue. The dealership says they have a call in to the field engineer and to the Ford Hotline in Detroit for assistance...

Thanks for the update, Jenie Benson.

Please PM your case number, and I’ll look into this further.

Tricia

My husband is a mechanic and is fairly certain the issue is coming from the transmission - however, it doesn't seem like the dealership has been looking into that at all.  They said something about an exhaust resonance when I was just there dropping off the roof rack keys. If it's an exhaust resonance, why does it only happen when it's under 15 degrees ambient outdoor temp and only at specific RPMs and happens regardless of how long you have been driving the car (ie. it happens even when you've been driving for hours on the interstate so the car is fully warmed up and the exhaust pipes would be burning hot from use).

Jenie - on a day its making the noise, have your husband pull Fuse 22 in the back. If the sound goes away, than its coming from the audio system.

Exh. boom is an RPM related issue. You don't understand it, so why not just let the dealer worry about it.

Yes, roof racks are known to cause noise. They need to remove it to eliminate any chance of it interfering

with their work. You sound cynical about everything.  It sounds to me like they're doing everything they

can and they are also keeping you informed about it. Let them work on it and relax.

Wow, do you work for a dealer or something?  I can be cynical - that's my right.  They've had over a year to figure this out and have ZERO results. I spent a lot of money on something they can't fix - yes, I'm cynical.  Oh and the roof rack - NOT THE PROBLEM. And no - roof racks do not cause this kind of issue or noise.  I work in the industry that sells and installs roof racks.  I am very aware of the noises they make and this is not one of them.  If your car doesn't make a good awful racket, great, but mine does and yes it makes me very unhappy to spend so many days without my car without getting any results.  They are not doing everything they can, they are doing everything that they are willing to do that won't involve replacing parts on the car.  I know a lot more about this than you seem to think I do.  Stop discounting me because I am a woman and because I'm rightfully unhappy with the lines I'm being fed by the dealer. Oh and I do understand it, I just can't fix it or determine where it is coming from. It's not boom, it's more like a strange transmission noise or exhaust resonance. The dealership insists on looking at the top of the car instead of underneath where it's coming from so they will never find it. Sure, relax, relax and drive a less fuel efficient vehicle that isn't mine that is uncomfortable to drive on my daily long commute and continue to make expensive car payments on something that doesn't work right that has spent more than it's fair share of time in the shop in a year of ownership. Um, no. Maybe go find another forum to be an expert on. I'm here because my car has a problem they can't or won't fix.

Edited by Jenie Benson

Dealership has the car still - day 3 this week.  The only things they have done so far is to check and see if my roof rack was the issue in 2 days of having the car.  They called me to say yesterday that they had removed it and magically the sound was gone. Being skeptical of this claim (since I know it's not the roof rack and have told them so about a million times) I went to test drive it with the service writer riding along and the roof rack still off the car. 1 block down the road and what do you know - NOT the roof rack and problem still exists.

As far as I can tell the sound isn't originating from the audio system, it is originating elsewhere in the car and may or may not be amplified by the audio.  Whatever is causing the sound and vibration to begin with needs to get fixed.  I don't want them to modify my audio to cover up whatever is causing the problem in the first place.

Wow, do you work for a dealer or something?  I can be cynical - that's my right.  They've had over a year to figure this out and have ZERO results. I spent a lot of money on something they can't fix - yes, I'm cynical.  Oh and the roof rack - NOT THE PROBLEM. And no - roof racks do not cause this kind of issue or noise.  I work in the industry that sells and installs roof racks.  I am very aware of the noises they make and this is not one of them.  If your car doesn't make a good awful racket, great, but mine does and yes it makes me very unhappy to spend so many days without my car without getting any results.  They are not doing everything they can, they are doing everything that they are willing to do that won't involve replacing parts on the car.  I know a lot more about this than you seem to think I do.  Stop discounting me because I am a woman and because I'm rightfully unhappy with the lines I'm being fed by the dealer. Oh and I do understand it, I just can't fix it or determine where it is coming from. It's not boom, it's more like a strange transmission noise or exhaust resonance. The dealership insists on looking at the top of the car instead of underneath where it's coming from so they will never find it. Sure, relax, relax and drive a less fuel efficient vehicle that isn't mine that is uncomfortable to drive on my daily long commute and continue to make expensive car payments on something that doesn't work right that has spent more than it's fair share of time in the shop in a year of ownership. Um, no. Maybe go find another forum to be an expert on. I'm here because my car has a problem they can't or won't fix.

Sorry you're having such overwhelming issue's with you car.

The statement in blue tells me you know less that you think and it's not because you're a woman.

You pound your chest and proclaim to be an industry expert and know what's NOT wrong with your

car, but being the expert you are. You're unable to know WHAT's WRONG with it.

I can tell you, I'm more of an EXPERT than you and no, I don't work at a dealer. 

If you weren't such a disgruntled person, you might find someone willing to help you more. Good Luck!

Edited by drdiesel1

Sorry you're having such overwhelming issue's with you car.

The statement in blue tells me you know less that you think and it's not because you're a woman.

You pound your chest and proclaim to be an industry expert and know what's NOT wrong with your

car, but being the expert you are. You're unable to know WHAT's WRONG with it.

I can tell you, I'm more of an EXPERT than you and no, I don't work at a dealer. 

If you weren't such a disgruntled person, you might find someone willing to help you more. Good Luck!

You've been reported to the moderator for your less than acceptable conduct and your personal attacks on me. 

Edited by Jenie Benson

As far as I can tell the sound isn't originating from the audio system, it is originating elsewhere in the car and may or may not be amplified by the audio.  

Messages posted as #28 and #29 in this thread concern a C-MAX Energi, but might help confirm/eliminate another potential cause of the noise. (I apologize for the formatting, but trying to copy and paste original posts back into the thread doesn't work well.)

======

OFFLINE   Dave Greene

photo-thumb-2132.jpg?_r=1402165254

C-MAX Hybrid Facebook

hybrid.png 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi and I've experienced what sounds like a "woo sound" for the past few weeks each time the ICE engages.

I took the car in to the dealer today to get a couple of the recalls looked after and mentioned the sound. They called me back late in the afternoon to say that it's the fuel pump and they've ordered a replacement.

========

#29OFFLINE   Dave Greene

photo-thumb-2132.jpg?_r=1402165254

C-MAX Hybrid Facebook

hybrid.png

2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Dave Greene, on 21 May 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:snapback.png

I have a 2013 C-Max Energi and I've experienced what sounds like a "woo sound" for the past few weeks each time the ICE engages.

I took the car in to the dealer today to get a couple of the recalls looked after and mentioned the sound. They called me back late in the afternoon to say that it's the fuel pump and they've ordered a replacement.

Fuel pump replaced. Noise is gone.

Edited by kostby

Messages posted as #28 and #29 in this thread concern a C-MAX Energi, but might help confirm/eliminate another potential cause of the noise.

OFFLINE   Dave Greene

• photo-thumb-2132.jpg?_r=1402165254
  • C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • hybrid.png
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

#29OFFLINE   Dave Greene

• photo-thumb-2132.jpg?_r=1402165254
  • C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • hybrid.png
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Dave Greene, on 21 May 2014 - 9:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Fuel pump replaced. Noise is gone.

Thanks for the cross post.  My car actually is the Energi.  However, the problem I am having is not related to the fuel pump as it is not consistent across RPMs, it happens at a specific range of RPMs and only under ambient cold temps below 15-20 degrees and I am able to accelerate past the threshold (give it more gas) and get past it (however this isn't a suitable fix either because that has me flooring it all the time :gaah: ).  I had found some info and a TSB about fuel pump, but everything I read did not line up with the symptoms of my car.  And from the other forums I had read about the fuel pump noises, what I am experiencing is much louder and more of a WAHHHHHHHHHHH than the softer fuel pump woo.  There is an MP3 posted in this thread that is exactly what I hear in my car (it's not my mp3, but it's the same thing I hear). And it seems to eminate from underneath the front seats and up into the front doors, not so much back behind the back seat which is where the fuel pump is.  Mine is actually louder in the front seats from what I've experienced.

Jenie - on a day its making the noise, have your husband pull Fuse 22 in the back. If the sound goes away, than its coming from the audio system.

Dealership pulled the fuse.  The exaggerated noise went away, but during test drive, we could hear the original noise that is being distorted and amplified by the active noise cancelling system.  And as you mentioned, the radio basically doesn't work now (just the one speaker and it sounded like crud). The noise we did hear sounded much like a mostly regular exhaust noise, only a bit louder than I expected it to be, but it at least allowed identification of where the issue was originating. No idea how long it might take them to figure out how to fix the issue of amplification - I kinda miss my car - this loaner is not all that great and I have totally been missing my remote start on these -10 or colder mornings. :cry:

Jenie, glad to hear there appears to be some progress being made. 

"I'm more of an expert than you".   What is this, grade two?!?

I'm just curious if anyone knows if forum members have signed petitions to remove aggressive, rude, condescending or disrespectful members from its membership?  I understand our chief offender (who apparently "doesn't have a problem"--we all do) has been kicked off the forum once but apparently that doesn't phase him one bit.

Jus, can you shed some light about the possibilities of a petition and if it would be applicable, how many members would need to sign it.

Edited by Adrian_L

Jenie, glad to hear there appears to be some progress being made. 

"I'm more of an expert than you".   What is this, grade two?!?

I'm just curious if anyone knows if forum members have signed petitions to remove aggressive, rude, condescending or disrespectful members from its membership?  I understand our chief offender (who apparently "doesn't have a problem"--we all do) has been kicked off the forum once but apparently that doesn't phase him one bit.

Jus, can you shed some light about the possibilities of a petition and if it would be applicable, how many members would need to sign it.

It gets more and more like Kindergarten everyday.

I rather enjoy how you follow my posts and express you opinion as gospel along with 

the wonderful self appointed judge and jury rulz over this site. Heck, who needs anyone else

to monitor this site with all the effort you expend to stir the pot. You only came into this thread

to attack me and let everyone know what a terrible person I am, because you don't agree

with my views, opinions or how I express myself on this site. Nobody died and left you in charge.

Please use some self restraint and stop following me around with your self appointed police badge.

I understand you don't like me and that's fine with me, but to seek me out for your personal pleasure isn't

gonna help anything. You keep attacking me in these threads and you'll likely fall victim to your own scheme.

Your post is 98% about me and that's a personal attack in my book.

PS: Please try to remember, this is after all a public forum and I'm allowed to express my opinion too ;)

Edited by drdiesel1

I took a 2013 Ford C-Max SEL home for a test drive overnight, and when I was driving the car on the highway, at 65-70 MPH, I noticed the same droining/whining noise.

It's very cold here right now, in the 20s. I'm wondering if it can be attributed to the weather...car is just out of the 3/36 warranty, which sucks for me.

I'm debating not purchasing the car, but I love everything else about it. I'm replacing a 2012 Prius.

I took a 2013 Ford C-Max SEL home for a test drive overnight, and when I was driving the car on the highway, at 65-70 MPH, I noticed the same droining/whining noise.

It's very cold here right now, in the 20s. I'm wondering if it can be attributed to the weather...car is just out of the 3/36 warranty, which sucks for me.

I'm debating not purchasing the car, but I love everything else about it. I'm replacing a 2012 Prius.

Do they have another one to test drive ?

Sadly, they don't. There's a 2014 local that I can try to take for a spin.

Honestly, I can live with the noise. It only occurs, it seems, at a very specific RPM and speed range. I'm going to have the dealership examine the fuses, etc, before I commit to anything anyway.

From your explanation it sounds like exh. boom. It's pretty common with this body style.

My wife has a Toyota Matrix and it comes in @ 70 mph without fail.

Honestly, I can live with the noise. It only occurs, it seems, at a very specific RPM and speed range.

I agree, I don't like that the sound but more importantly I am concerned of the damage while this is happening.  I have had this every once in a while and I just change the throttle position and it goes away.  For me I have not seen a pattern with temperature.  Pretty sure I have heard this in the warmer months too.  I don't hear it much now in the colder months but then again I bought the car in the fall and it is more broke in now as well.  That could be part of the issue too.  Time will tell.