Strange, long wooooo sound at steady speeds, ICE on

Alex Sams

I appreicate the responses.

It bothered my wife, too, but the overall road noise is still better than what I hear in my Prius. Makes the trade in worth it to me. It's something I can live with.

Honestly, I love the car. I've been driving the he** out of it since taking it home. Driving non-conservatively I'm getting 40 MPG. If I try to watch my MPG, I can get 44-46.

It bothered my wife, too, but the overall road noise is still better than what I hear in my Prius. Makes the trade in worth it to me. It's something I can live with.

Honestly, I love the car. I've been driving the he** out of it since taking it home. Driving non-conservatively I'm getting 40 MPG. If I try to watch my MPG, I can get 44-46.

I PM you to see if you wanted to talk about it, I'm in the Atlanta Area. :)

Paul

They have also issued a TSB for trans droning noise.

post-1464-0-34650300-1424546330_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting. I saw that, and that's the main reason I was ok with the purchase.

Oddly enough, it hasn't come back.

No problem. Welcome to the C-Max club.  I wouldn't let it bother me too much, but it

might be something I would hunt down at some point if it came back if for no

other reason than to know what it is. I doubt it's anything effecting the vehicles safe operation. 

Happy Motoring :happy feet:

You keep attacking me in these threads and you'll likely fall victim to your own scheme.

Your post is 98% about me and that's a personal attack in my book.

That sounds like "he who smelt it, dealt it".  Is that where we're going with this?!

I'll leave other members to draw their own conclusions and will no longer engage you.

What angers me is that good folks like Jenie come here for guidance and are met with the kind of comments that (rightfully) anger them and probably will keep them away from the forum.  If everyone else is OK with that, then so be it. 

That sounds like "he who smelt it, dealt it".  Is that where we're going with this?!

I'll leave other members to draw their own conclusions and will no longer engage you.

What angers me is that good folks like Jenie come here for guidance and are met with the kind of comments that (rightfully) anger them and probably will keep them away from the forum.  If everyone else is OK with that, then so be it. 

OMG! Really.......... You have nothing better to do than this ?

I really don't care what your problem is... Take a hike :drop:

...I'm just curious if anyone knows if forum members have signed petitions to remove aggressive, rude, condescending or disrespectful members from its membership? 

This is best handled by PMs to the moderator.

As a general forum rule, here and elsewhere, there is no point to feeding trolls. Ignore what you don't find appropriate, and when it becomes intolerable, PM the moderator. We all have bad days, we've all hit "send" when we shouldn't, but consistent poor behavior is not our problem to address.

Have fun,

Frank

As a general forum rule, here and elsewhere, there is no point to feeding trolls. Ignore what you don't find appropriate, and when it becomes intolerable, PM the moderator. We all have bad days, we've all hit "send" when we shouldn't, but consistent poor behavior is not our problem to address.

Have fun,

Frank

Ain't that the truth.......... :yahoo: Now if we could just get them to stop stalking :clapping:

Edited by drdiesel1

Have fun,

Frank

+1 to that, couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Paul

I would think three times before buying it.  I bought mine brand new and it's taken over a year to get anywhere near close to determining why this is happening and I still don't have a confirmation of what is causing it, if it can be fixed or if it will end up in some kind of catastrophic equipment failure down the road.  Unless they are practically giving the car away (which I doubt) I'd move on.  I love mine, and i really hope it can be fixed, but I never would have bought it if it did this when I test drove it.  It the problem is what the dealership is currently looking into, they might have to tear down the entire inside of my car to replace or rewire the active noise cancelling system. With the fuse pulled and that system off, there was less road noise than at any time since I bought it.  Which leads me to believe that system has been amplifying road noise instead of cancelling it as intended. The ICE even seemed quieter.  It's very disappointing to have invested as much money as I have in this car and to really love it only to find out one of the more unique selling features has been malfunctioning since day 1 and it took me playing hardball with Ford corporate and the dealership to get them to really look into it. I'd pass on the 2013 and test drive the 2014 to see if it exhibits any abnormal stuff. (FYI, from what I've gleaned, the 2014s encorporate a lot of the fixes the 2013s needed to have done to them to function well - they are like the 2013, but with a lot of the patches already installed). I kinda wish Ford would swap my 2013 with a 2014.

They have also issued a TSB for trans droning noise.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

That TSB has already been proving bunk.  Both myself and Jim had it done to try to resolve the issues with our cars and it did not improve or change the issue.  And I had to miss 2 days of work while my dealership did it and then they didn't even test it to see if it did anything and gave it back to me unchanged.  Don't bother with this TSB everybody, it's not worth your time (just like it's not my roof rack causing the noise either - though the Hotline in Detroit was sure it was and it has been proven not to be via actual testing of that theory.) 

Thanks for posting. I saw that, and that's the main reason I was ok with the purchase.

Oddly enough, it hasn't come back.

In case you didn't see that both myself and Jim had that TSB done on our cars with zero results, that TSB is worthless other than 2 days in the shop to perform it and plenty of time billed to Ford for warranty labor.

When the noise comes back, let us know.  Hopefully by then my dealership will have solve the riddle and you'll be able to get yours fixed without having to strongarm your dealership.

Have fun,

Frank

How does one know who the mod is to send a PM?  I reported content and received no response.

In case you didn't see that both myself and Jim had that TSB done on our cars with zero results, that TSB is worthless other than 2 days in the shop to perform it and plenty of time billed to Ford for warranty labor.

When the noise comes back, let us know.  Hopefully by then my dealership will have solve the riddle and you'll be able to get yours fixed without having to strongarm your dealership.

Jenie,

I appreciate the insight, truly. Please keep us posted.

The noise abated, oddly enough. The road noise that's left is from the tires, which is minimal.

I'm sorry it's been such a process to deal with the repair. It's never ideal when any business does not want to listen to their customers. I would be irritated beyond belief.

Jenie,

I appreciate the insight, truly. Please keep us posted.

The noise abated, oddly enough. The road noise that's left is from the tires, which is minimal.

I'm sorry it's been such a process to deal with the repair. It's never ideal when any business does not want to listen to their customers. I would be irritated beyond belief.

Here's hoping because the climate where you are is generally quite a bit warmer than up here in the frozen tundra that you'll escape the pain. I'm fairly certain I would have no issues if I lived in a warmer clime, but you're right, it's irritating to be sold a product no one seems to want to stand behind. If the car can't function properly in cold weather, I'm sure the Attorney General in our state (and probably some branch of the Federal Government) would have something to say about making it for sale to consumers. They might even issue a recall to force the hand of the powers that be at Ford to do something about it.  We'll see I guess.  I'm supposed to receive a phone call from the regional guy today according to a phone message left with me last week by some guy at corporate Ford/Lincoln.  So far, my phone hasn't rung at all.  And I haven't heard from my dealership since I was there Friday morning to test drive the car for them again.  'Bout time they start paying me to do their work for them, don't you think?  Some of that $113/hr they get paid by Ford could maybe come to me for the time spent test driving my car for their shop techs - wishful thinking.  :lol2:

well, I think we have forward motion again.  Dealership called to say they'd been instructed by Ford to tell me to come get my car while engineering "worked on a solution". I told them "no" and then called Ford corporate and the regional manager to tell them also "no". That answer was unacceptable.  How could they find a solution when they didn't even know what the real problem was being caused by if they didn't have my car to troubleshoot on? Pure insanity.  So I had a nice long conversation with Ford corporate about how this has been multiple times in for the same issue, still not fixed and I simply could not pick up the still not fixed car and wait while they run out the clock on both cold weather and the time left for filing for buy-back in my state (should I need to do that, but OMG I really do not want to do that cause I love this car when it works right).  I must have rattled the right cages cause the dealership just called to say they have some very concrete diagnostic stuff to try on the car and that extended rental car usage had been approved/covered by Ford corporate so they could hang onto my car to work on it some more.  They think there may be either a faulty microphone (or multiple) in the active noise cancellation system, a faulty module in that system or perhaps the whole system is faulty.  They have some specific tests to do now to determine this.  And someone from Ford corporate acknowledged to my dealership that they have dealt with a few of these across the nation already with the same issue.  Finally - acknowledgement from Ford that they are aware of the problem and have some kind of clue how to go about getting it fixed!!!!  :yahoo: For anyone else on here still struggling to even get acknowledgement of your issue, I will continue to post updates about my situation in hopes that you can use the information to help your dealership get you taken care of.  You may also want to call Ford corporate and speak with someone in their Hybrid and Electric Vehicle customer care department.  They can create a case ticket for you and make sure someone both at Ford corporate and the regional level is following up on your situation.  And frankly, the guys at corporate have gotten the most traction for me so far.  They are my last resort, but they know which buttons to press internally when it's needed.

well, I think we have forward motion again.  Dealership called to say they'd been instructed by Ford to tell me to come get my car while engineering "worked on a solution"....

Thanks for the update, Jenie Benson.

Let me know if you need anything, and I’ll be happy to add any updates to your case!  :) 

Congrats, and welcome to the community, anaphora68!  :dance: 

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative.  I’ll be here if you have any question or concerns.

Is your C-MAX still experiencing the noise? If so, what's the current mileage?

Tricia

well, I think we have forward motion again.  Dealership called to say they'd been instructed by Ford to tell me to come get my car while engineering "worked on a solution". I told them "no" and then called Ford corporate and the regional manager to tell them also "no". That answer was unacceptable.  How could they find a solution when they didn't even know what the real problem was being caused by if they didn't have my car to troubleshoot on? Pure insanity.  So I had a nice long conversation with Ford corporate about how this has been multiple times in for the same issue, still not fixed and I simply could not pick up the still not fixed car and wait while they run out the clock on both cold weather and the time left for filing for buy-back in my state (should I need to do that, but OMG I really do not want to do that cause I love this car when it works right).  I must have rattled the right cages cause the dealership just called to say they have some very concrete diagnostic stuff to try on the car and that extended rental car usage had been approved/covered by Ford corporate so they could hang onto my car to work on it some more.  They think there may be either a faulty microphone (or multiple) in the active noise cancellation system, a faulty module in that system or perhaps the whole system is faulty.  They have some specific tests to do now to determine this.  And someone from Ford corporate acknowledged to my dealership that they have dealt with a few of these across the nation already with the same issue.  Finally - acknowledgement from Ford that they are aware of the problem and have some kind of clue how to go about getting it fixed!!!!  :yahoo: For anyone else on here still struggling to even get acknowledgement of your issue, I will continue to post updates about my situation in hopes that you can use the information to help your dealership get you taken care of.  You may also want to call Ford corporate and speak with someone in their Hybrid and Electric Vehicle customer care department.  They can create a case ticket for you and make sure someone both at Ford corporate and the regional level is following up on your situation.  And frankly, the guys at corporate have gotten the most traction for me so far.  They are my last resort, but they know which buttons to press internally when it's needed.

What's the verdict? 

What's the verdict? 

Well, still not 100% positive, but last week while it was still cold, they had done a lot of troubleshooting at the dealership and found that potentially the liquid filled motor mounts were the issue.  That when cold, that liquid did not cushion the vibration of the engine as they are intended to do and instead, they stiffened up and caused transfer of that vibration to the rest of the car where it was amplified by the noise cancellation system (apparently there was a nearly identical issue with a different model car a couple years ago).  They ordered the old style rubber motor mounts to replace, but the parts took a while to get here and now it is over 50 degrees out and we have run out of winter time to test once the repair is completed today.  I am not sure what to do at this point.  They might have fixed it, however, I have no way to verify that and neither do they.  I'm not sure I want to depreciate the vehicle by another 6 months of mileage only to find out when winter comes again that this isn't fixed.... :sad: The dealership and Ford and I will have a lot to talk about in the next couple of weeks regarding what happens from here.