Sunroof, Roof Rack, Light towing...possible?

I'm debating buying my first C-Max, but I'd be downsizing from my Kia Soul 2010 in terms of cargo space. We go camping frequently and are often the ones to bring everything...and I do mean everything in large tubs. With that, I'd expect that from what I've seen, I'd probably only fit around 3 of those tubs inside of the C-Max...I'd need to fit around 5-6. My C-Max will have a sunroof, so with that, is it possible (and safe) to add a full roof rack to carry a lighter weight tub or two (think bedding/pillows), and maybe some form of trailer/hitch/basket combination off from the back of the car to have drag a tub or two behind us? Sorry, I'm not too car savvy and am not quite sure of all the proper terminology. Anyhow, is any/all of this possible without negatively compromising the C-Max? 

Thanks!

The C-Max is rated with a larger cargo area than the Soul by about 1 cu foot with all seats in place or all folded. I got that info from Edmunds.  http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200421534|&veh2=200426353|wagon&show=0&comparatorId=6768940

Not sure where you think the Soul has more cargo space.  Maybe you are looking at the C-Max Energi, it has less cargo space, but the regular C-max is decent and slightly larger than a Soul.  Interesting that per Edmunds the C-Max has more room in almost every category, I would think the Soul's shape would have made for more efficient use of space.  The Soul is a neat car, my sister-in-law has one.

Those who find the cargo capacity insufficient have had good results with a tow hitch platform. There's a nice thread on a summer trip; hopefully the poster will chime in... the great advantage is you don't increase the size of the hole you punch in the air. Roof racks can't say that, and your fuel consumption will care.

I would be very nervous putting a roof rack on my pano roof, but the trailer hitch and platform, not so much.

HAve fun,

Frnak

PS Thank you fotomoto!

Edited by fbov

:-o! GS Dave, wow looks can be deceiving. I put in model specific information and came up with this...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200426349|wagon&veh2=200421534|wagon&show=0&comparatorId=8871116

Cargo capacity, all seats in place:

Soul = 19.3 cu.ft.
C-Max = 24.5 cu.ft

Maximum cargo capacity:
Soul = 53.4 cu.ft. 
C-Max = 52.6 cu.ft.

This is very interesting indeed and may help make justifying this easier. Perhaps the difference is the hatch opening. Just by looking, you can see you can't physically fit bulky items like the ones mentioned in there with the hatch opening being that small. At any rate, I'm still curious as to my initial questions if anyone has any thoughts. 
Edited by Jesse Russell

Ah! "Tow hitch platform" is the word that I was looking for! And that photo was exactly what I needed to see (thanks Doug)! So I guess that leaves the discussion to whether or not it's ok to have a rack with a sunroof. I'm sure the answer is to not do it, but has anyone done anything like this? I know that Ford offers the racks so the roof can carry weight, but I'm not technically sound enough to know whether or not the integrity of the C-Max will be compromised (or if it's even physically possible) to add a rack on to a panoramic roof. Hmmm...

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2800-whats-in-your-c-max-today/?p=30030

Pics of the longest thing I've carried. This tailgate's tall compared with my 29" Volvo wagons, and in a pinch, you can load from the side. I've fit a pie safe (60x36 with a 40" top), drop-leaf table (in the side). No problems with cargo capacity here!

Have fun, 

Frank

So I guess that leaves the discussion to whether or not it's ok to have a rack with a sunroof. I'm sure the answer is to not do it, but has anyone done anything like this? I know that Ford offers the racks so the roof can carry weight, but I'm not technically sound enough to know whether or not the integrity of the C-Max will be compromised (or if it's even physically possible) to add a rack on to a panoramic roof. Hmmm...

I ordered my C-MAX from the factory, and I got the Pano Roof.  At the time that I ordered, I wanted the roof rack, and my dealer told me that you cannot do both.

Like you, I was worried about space for carrying gear.  I may eventually spring for a tow behind basket or a spare tire carrier.  However, I have already filled my C-MAX in a bunch of ways, and there was always room, including on a 2,000+ mile drive for a camping trip with two adults up front, and a dog taking up one of the two rear seats.

Loaded With Gear

Dog In Back Seat

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

• 9 months later...

Towing!  A BIG word here.  One that makes other Ford owners shudder if I mention it.  However, I am not going to a tractor pull contest and dragging a 50,000 pound sled down a dirt track.  Just a small utility trailer, very easily rolling wheels, not overloaded heavy, maybe 800, 1000 pounds at most, EVERY OTHER month or so to the dump, or maybe when I need to carry a oversize bulky load that will not fit IN or ON the car.  I have had no problems of towing with as small as a Dodge Colt w/ stick shift, on up to my 2007 Escape Hybrid or 2012 Focus.  But when we "Max-speak" about towing, then people clam up as if it was 1984 and Big Brother and "thought-criminals" are taking over.  I guess when I get right down to it, has ANYONE towed a small utility trailor with the 'Max with any or no problem?