Maxus get a acrylic rear spoiler

mtb9153

Ok here is the first picture of my newly designed rear spoiler.  This was a challenging project to get a flat piece of acrylic plastic to conform to the curvature of the rear window glass.  The 5 acrylic standoffs which are plastic cemented to the underside for support using a clear liquid solvent which through a chemical reaction actually bonds the two plastic surfaces by softening both to form one.  There was allot of work grinding them at the proper angle to fit between the spoiler and the painted surface of the rear tailgate below the glass.  The leading edge of the spoiler fits in the gap between the glass and the painted metal of the tailgate.  Each standoff is stuck to the paint with industrial grade 3M gel adhesive tape.  Will hold 20pounds of weight and this spoiler doesn't come even close to weighing that much.  Not sure if this will do much for MPG?  Could even possibly cause some drag, but I hope not.  I did it mostly for curb appeal and to try and clean up the rear bumper by moving the airflow a little different angle off the back the rear end.  We'll see what happens in the miles heads ahead.

0FF33D06-38CF-4473-ABF5-61E75ABCAABD_zps

Edited by mtb9153

Enjoy your time away! (And nice job on the plexi, too.)

Of course, some of us would consider a trip to the Bay Area as time away... away from -6F this morning! Watch that sunburn...

HAve fun,

Frank

Thanks Frank I plan to, swim/snorkel with the dolphins shoot some underwater video with my GoPro.  Lounge on the beach with the wife and order drinks with funny little paper umbrella's and eat plenty of Macadamia's.  And pay my respects to the U.S.S Arizona Memorial

ICK -6*F dang that's cold so very sorry that the earth seems to be punishing the rest of the country.  Even my relatives in East Texas are having the white stuff.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm continuing this old topic to let everyone know who is interested that I have started a new direction for designing and fabricating a rear spoiler for Maxus.  I shelved the acrylic concept when I started having too much trouble with the plastic developing cracks as I shaped it.  I've been researching a great deal on the internet about designing a spoiler from styrofoam blocks which I bought fairly cheaply at a local crafts store.  This stuff is very manageable and cuts like butter with a hand saw and a rasp file for fine trimming.  I bought some industrial strength styrofoam adhesive to form the blocks into a long enough length to cover the width of the rear liftgate under the rear window.  I wasn't able to find long lengths in a thick enough block.

My plan is to shape this foam into my concept for the spoiler.  The only real problem so far with doing this is when you cut into the foam it created billions of tiny specks of foam which sticks to everything from static electricity.  It looks like it snowed in my workshop.  Once the foam is the way I want it and the surface is prepped I will cover the styrofoam with fiberglas.  From my research there are different types of resin and there is one type which won't eat up my foam shape before hardening.  The foam will stay inside the spoiler to serve as reinforcement.

If I can find a good deal on carbon fiber I will cover this in CF cloth for a much stronger and racier look.  This will be a medium to large project so it might be beyond my pocketbook to use CF cloth, we'll see once I go to purchase my cloth.

Right now since I'm working in unfamiliar territory working with composites I'm taking one step at a time.  So far I've spent $45 in foam and adhesive..  If the design turns out ok?  Then I'll buy cloth and resin which will run up the tab sufficiently I'm sure.  Stay tuned as things progress. :drop:

Edited by mtb9153

Wab, thanks for the very helpful info and link.  My first challenge is going to be shaping the blocks of styrofoam to lay flat against the metal along the bottom edge of the rear glass since it is a constistant curved surface .  In the middle it is pretty straight and flat but as you work your way over to the sides where the hatch meets the rear fenders.  The angles greatly change and will require more involved shaping as it is curving to go around to the "D" Pillar.  But if I take is slow and not rush I think I can reach a nice look.  My plan is to make this spoiler sort of a duck tail design curving upward at the bottom edge of the rear glass and leaning back to slightly beyond the metal surface which curves down to the license place above the blue Ford Oval logo if that makes any sense?  Hopefully it can be visualized from that description?  Thanks for your comments and interest in the project. :)

Edited by mtb9153

Wab, thanks for the very helpful info and link.  My first challenge is going to be shaping the blocks of styrofoam to lay flat against the metal along the bottom edge of the rear glass since it is a constistant curved surface .... :)

Tape 50-grit sandpaper to the surface (Grit side up, of course) and sand the foam against it. Won't take long to capture the contour, just use very short strokes perpendicular to the gradient (strongest curve). Its' what I did with the AirTabs. It wont' hurt ot hollow them out in the center, just be sure to let the edge get sanded flush all around.

HAve fun,

Frank

Well I'm continuing this old topic to let everyone know who is interested that I have started a new direction for designing and fabricating a rear spoiler for Maxus. 

I take it you decided against the ready made spoiler from Germany? Were you ever able to contact to see if they would ship to the U.S.? <I'm still somewhat interested in that spoiler, so curious what you found out>

Yes I contacted them and they will ship it anywhere in the world.  I still like the spoiler but I'm just looking for something a little more aggressive and high tech which is why I'm looking into building my own made with carbon fiber.  But the CF will be the most expensive material in the project.  Maybe like $200 alone for the cloth.  But it  looks cool!

Below are some pics of the first sculpted section of foam for my new rear spoiler project.  I bought some more styrofoam today so should have enough to fully sculpt the spoiler.  I also checked a local store for carbon fiber pricing.  Looks like this will cost me some bucks as I expected.  50" wide roll for $46.25/yard.  I might not be able to lay down more than one layer of cloth at those prices.  I'm not sure if it is possible to lay down regular fiberglas first and then finish with a top coat of CF?  But that might be a possibility to bring up the thickness.

6435793D-BF46-4A00-8F77-023C9DDA3C78_zps17601ADC-D2ED-4F6E-AEC4-8489C5B20631_zpsC053423E-0411-4CFB-917E-EA86164D1749_zps

Edited by mtb9153

Latest pics with the 2nd sculpted section attached to the first and the second pic with the 3rd section attached and still unsculpted. So far this has been an interesting project ,hopefully the remaining sculpting will go smoothly and then on to final prepping of the styrofoam backbone of this rear spoiler before moving on to the carbon fiber cloth which will prove to be no less tricky to accomplish.  I haven't worked with resin since my experiences back in the 1980's with repairing my fiberglas air dam on my 71 Datsun 240Z.  Fingers crossed.

6921F378-B516-41D4-9EA9-03A036B91499_zps126F0F5B-9A87-4E24-9011-E2E7C8F4C0DB_zps

Ok this project is really challenging my abilities to fabricate.  The styrofoam direction clearing wasn't going to work as my glued sections were repeatedly coming apart and the glue I bought was eating the styrofoam even though it claims to be for styrofoam.

This led me to try the expanded foam approach and as the pics below show it is in it's early stages with lots more filling and shaping needed before any carbon fiber goes down.

licensecut_zps75b66de5.jpglicensefiltered_zps392c3c01.jpg

Edited by mtb9153

Well after today's less than satisfying progress in my rear spoiler project, I'm shelving the idea and cutting my losses.  I will be ordering from the German Auto Tuner Loder1899 his design of a spoiler for the CMax.  I just do not have the flair for working with foam, nor the ability to live with the mess it creates while working with it.  Not to mention my asthma is pissed since undertaking this idea.  Chalk it up to experience.  Probably better that I didn't get into mixing and inhaling the fumes of Epoxy resin.  But I will miss getting into making carbon fiber add-on's for Maxus. :sad:

Well it wouldn't stay glued together and when I tried to re glue it it dissolved.  Hence the move to expanded foam which also became hopeless.  I wonder if just putting a mini spoiler in the middle would do anything?  Just the first piece in my pictures.

Edited by mtb9153

That's a shame , the first Styrofoam was looking pretty good. :)

Paul

Paul your comments inspired me to give the white styrofoam design one more chance since I didn't destroy it.  I bought a foam sanding block a few days earlier at home depot and was actually able to improve upon it's fit to the curvature of the rear tailgate as a 3 piece styrofoam concept.  After a little TLC and smoothing it doesn't look too bad.  However in my last fitment try the glue broke loose between the first and third section above the right tailight.  I said a quick prayer and reset it with adhesive, we'll see how it looks in the morning.  If this works, there won't be another until I can improve upon my fabrication processes.  I really want this to work and be made in Carbon Fiber.  I figure I can get the cloth and the proper resin for pouring over foam with a cost that will rival the German Auto Tuner Loder1899.com  I asked him if he could produce his concept in Carbon Fiber?  He hasn't responded yet.  Depending on his price I may just go with his as long as it is made with CF.  I like my ducktail airfoil design better than his more flat table like design.  His is a little longer with the ends pointing out farther above either tailight but that will make mine a little cheaper to make in CF since it is about 33" long.  My source for CF sells it in only 50inch wide cloth.

Edited by mtb9153