Maxus get a acrylic rear spoiler

mtb9153

Paul are you saying once the mold is the way I want it? to just apply the tape to hold it together long enough so it can be glassed? Actually it is holding together pretty good but there are some weak areas I have to handle carefully until I get some cloth over the surface.

Edited by mtb9153

Well after today's less than satisfying progress in my rear spoiler project, I'm shelving the idea and cutting my losses.  I will be ordering from the German Auto Tuner Loder1899 his design of a spoiler for the CMax.  I just do not have the flair for working with foam, nor the ability to live with the mess it creates while working with it.  Not to mention my asthma is pissed since undertaking this idea.  Chalk it up to experience.  Probably better that I didn't get into mixing and inhaling the fumes of Epoxy resin.  But I will miss getting into making carbon fiber add-on's for Maxus. :sad:

If you end up deciding to to the Loder direction, please keep us informed. I've been interested in that rear spoiler too. Really interested to hear what the process of ordering/shipping/receipt will be. OTOH, best of luck with the continuing project. I feel your pain as you deal with the setbacks - been there too.  :)

Paul are you saying once the mold is the way I want it? to just apply the tape to hold it together long enough so it can be glassed? Actually it is holding together pretty good but there are some weak areas I have to handle carefully until I get some cloth over the surface.

I was thinking of using your present form as a pattern and make a mold off of it with urethane foam and then layup the CF in the mold. I was thinking you could get a nice finish that way. I'm no expert just a idea. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience. :)

Paul   

I was thinking of using your present form as a pattern and make a mold off of it with urethane foam and then layup the CF in the mold. I was thinking you could get a nice finish that way. I'm no expert just a idea. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience. :)

Paul   

Yes you have a good idea Paul which I have considered going with by building a workable negative mold of this one foam plug as I've seen people call it during my internet research.  Then pull positive copies off the negative mold for CF copies.  That would allow for a much nicer finished appearance.  I think what would be best is to take it to the experts at TAP Plastics where I will buy the resin and CF cloth and all the other stuff needed for laying down cloth.  Get their expert opinion on what will work best as my next step.

Edited by mtb9153

I heard back from Loder1899 and the guy I emailed with is Maximillan Loder.  He told me they can fill my request to build their spoiler with Carbon Fiber, including shipping for $410.  I'm not sure I can build it any cheaper so I'll probably order one.  He told me it would be a 2-3 weeks to produce.  I think with the fuss and mess of working with the materials to do it myself and with no guarantee's how it will turn out?  It is worth it.  Plus I don't have a large enough work space in my garage to do this.  Fortunately they take PayPal for payment.

Edited by mtb9153

I heard back from Loder1899 and the guy I emailed with is Maximillan Loder.  He told me they can fill my request to build their spoiler with Carbon Fiber, including shipping for $410.  I'm not sure I can build it any cheaper so I'll probably order one.  He told me it would be a 2-3 weeks to produce.  I think with the fuss and mess of working with the materials to do it myself and with no guarantee's how it will turn out?  It is worth it.  Plus I don't have a large enough work space in my garage to do this.  Fortunately they take PayPal for payment.

I might order one if I thought it actually improved MPG's, hopefully I can get around to tuff testing in a few weeks. :) It will be interesting to see how it turns out for you.

Paul

That seems like a fair price, given the price for the unfinished piece + the price we've seen quoted stateside to get it painted. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing it on your car! I had been thinking of having one painted platinum white to match the car color, but might change my mind after I see your piece. Given the time/cost you would put into making your own, this seems like the way to go.

ScubaDadMiami, I hear you but I decided it wasn't worth it cause I think it will end up costing almost as much and I just don't have the expertise for working with resin layup or creating a negative mold from my styrofoam plug for making positive copys.  If I botched the carbon fiber I'd be out $100+ just in cloth.  Nor do I have the work area large enough to do it in my garage.  Yes I like the look of my spoiler better which is why I made it that way, but at 62 years old working with strong fumes like epoxy resin would make my asthma a living hell.  While I was sculpting the foam even with a respirator mask on I was coughing my lungs out.  62Lincoln thanks for your enthusiasm I'm stoked to get a CF rear spoiler.  I love CF it looks really high tech and racy.  I want to somehow fabricate a CF front wind splitter to run across underneath the front bumper like pictured below.

0702_impp_20z_apr_performance_front_wind

Edited by mtb9153

I went ahead and placed my styrofoam plug in place on the back of the tailgate.  It's held on with clear duct tape.  I must say all the effort did come out nice and I do like the way it looks and fits.  But I think the one from Loder1899 is my next choice of action.  Since there is no rain in the forecast for the next week in Central California, I'm going to leave it in place to see what happens, see if I notice any improvement or if the tailgate stays cleaner but first I have to wash it cause the whole car is a mess from the last rain we had last week.

Edited by mtb9153

ScubaDadMiami, I hear you but I decided it wasn't worth it cause I think it will end up costing almost as much and I just don't have the expertise for working with resin layup or creating a negative mold from my styrofoam plug for making positive copys.  If I botched the carbon fiber I'd be out $100+ just in cloth.  Nor do I have the work area large enough to do it in my garage.  Yes I like the look of my spoiler better which is why I made it that way, but at 62 years old working with strong fumes like epoxy resin would make my asthma a living hell.  While I was sculpting the foam even with a respirator mask on I was coughing my lungs out.  62Lincoln thanks for your enthusiasm I'm stoked to get a CF rear spoiler.  I love CF it looks really high tech and racy.  I want to somehow fabricate a CF front wind splitter to run across underneath the front bumper like pictured below.

0702_impp_20z_apr_performance_front_wind

You got to love a CMAX HYBRID RACECAR! LOL :)

Paul

You got to love a CMAX HYBRID RACECAR! LOL :)

Paul

Hey why not, I read recently that in one of the race car series running this year they will be racing EV.  Now that I would love to see and hear the quiet of the cars as they passed me in the grandstands.  No more earplugs, I love it.  I've attended races ranging from Can-Am to Indy Cars since 1969.  Rarely wore hearing protection, yeah I know and that's why I'm so hard of hearing at 60.  But I am deaf in my left ear from a brain tumor so that doesn't count.  I will miss the deep throaty sound of a big block chevy race motor...awh music to my ears...oops ear (singular) :sad:

Drove around town today with the styrofoam plug in place on the rear tailgate, didn't really notice any difference, but then I wasn't expecting anything.  I need to run down to the crafters store and buy a roll of yarn to do some tuft testing from the back seat door to the rear bumper.  Then mount the GoPro on the wifes car and do some cruising around town. :thumbsup:

From what I've read about aerodynamics, rear spoilers can reduce or increase drag. It's all in the shape.

- For a low drag shape, look at your C-Max - nearly flat and parallel to roofline.

- For a high drag shape, look at Porsche's spoilers on 911-based cars.

The basic 911 body profile is low drag, but also highly unstable in crosswinds. Without the big wings on the Turbo or the little wall htat rises at speed on less aggressivly styled cars, the car will aim for the weeds in side winds. The drag at the back balances the force at the front, eliminating yaw (rotation about center of gravity).

The two shown on the Vibe fit in the latter category; all show and no go, IMHO. The Loder one, not so much...

HAve fun,

Frank

The Vibe is a re-badged Toyota Matrix, they stopped making them in 2013.

I took a quick look on Amazon and eBay, there are K'S!

Not exactly.

Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, and Toyota Voltz shared joint GM/Toyota engineering, power train, and many interior parts, but most of the exterior body panels are different, as are the A/C systems.

2002-2004 The Toyota Voltz was a RHD 'Vibe' shipped to Japan for the domestic market, and discontinued in 2004.

The Toyota Matrix was manufactured exclusively in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada, and is still available in Canada only, as a 2014, the final year of production.

The Pontiac Vibe was manufactured only at NUMMI in Fremont, California, from 2002-2009, and the last Vibe was a 2010 model built in late 2009. The plant was closed permanently in 2010. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33400&p=373443&hilit=final+vibe+owner#p373443

Here's a thread about the owner of the final production model: http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34601&p=394248&hilit=last+vibe+produced#p394248

The Vibe rear mid-gate spoiler as shown was available for the 2003-2008 Gen 1 and Gen 1.5 (nose job and minor interior changes), and also as part of a body kit from Pontiac. It was never available for the 2009-2010 model, and never offered by Toyota for the Matrix.

Edited by kostby

Not exactly.

Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Matrix, and Toyota Voltz shared joint GM/Toyota engineering, power train, and many interior parts, but most of the exterior body panels are different, as are the A/C systems.

2002-2004 The Toyota Voltz was a RHD 'Vibe' shipped to Japan for the domestic market, and discontinued in 2004.

The Toyota Matrix was manufactured exclusively in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada, and is still available in Canada only, as a 2014, the final year of production.

The Pontiac Vibe was manufactured only at NUMMI in Fremont, California, from 2002-2009, and the last Vibe was a 2010 model built in late 2009. The plant was closed permanently in 2010. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33400&p=373443&hilit=final+vibe+owner#p373443

Here's a thread about the owner of the final production model: http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34601&p=394248&hilit=last+vibe+produced#p394248

The Vibe rear mid-gate spoiler as shown was available for the 2003-2008 Gen 1 and Gen 1.5 (nose job and minor interior changes), and also as part of a body kit from Pontiac. It was never available for the 2009-2010 model.

Lots of good info Kostby thanks for adding it.

Looking at those links, that spoiler requires drilling holes to secure it to the car.  That is not an option, the Loder1899 spoiler mounts with 3M adhesive tape.  Plus I'm not even sure the mounting surface is the same curvature as the CMax?  I'm willing to bet it is not.  Lots of things to consider might not work when using the spoiler from another make car.

Looking at those links, that spoiler requires drilling holes to secure it to the car.  That is not an option, the Loder1899 spoiler mounts with 3M adhesive tape.  Plus I'm not even sure the mounting surface is the same curvature as the CMax?  I'm willing to bet it is not.  Lots of things to consider might not work when using the spoiler from another make car.

Agree, you should stick with a spoiler made for the C-Max. As we've found with the aero side pieces for the rear window, even the pieces made for the Escape, which at first glance would appear to be a match, aren't close to being a proper fit.

• 4 months later...

Ok thought it was about time to reopen this thread again.  I've got a new design idea for creating a rear spoiler on Maxus or any CMax for that matter should this go into production.  Before I was trying to mount a spoiler below the rear window.  But decided the problem with dirty air behind a CMax is at least partly due to the design of what Ford refers to as a rear spoiler.  It just isn't enough.  So my idea is to fabricate an extension to the factory spoiler.  My thought is to have a custom cut a piece of acrylic that follows the same contour as the trailing edge of the factory spoiler.  What I mean is follow the curvature of the trailing edge of the factory spoiler directly above the third brake light.  I propose my spoiler as an extension extending back at least another 5 or 6 inches with a slightly steeper rake angle to catch the air coming off Fords spoiler and forcing it to follow a different path further back so the air flow hopefully will reduce the air cavitation or turbulance vortex behind the CMax which causes so much dirt to buildup on the rear window, rear bumper and tailgate.  My extension will be supported using vertical pieces of acrylic which will attach to the glass using the same removable 3M Gel adhesive that AeroHance uses on their non magnetic gaspods.  I sort of took this idea from a wing I saw on a tricked out Mini Cooper which I will post a picture of later when Photobucket is back up from maintenance.  I might design this to have different set points which would allow different wing angles.  We'll see how things go as fabricate the prototype.  To be continued...

Edited by mtb9153

Worth the effort as long as you follow a Kamm-back approach:

- extend the roofline using the aero template

- fill in the sides so you create a longer body, not a spoiler

post-1320-0-99152400-1384525602_thumb.jpg

You may recall the tuft test showed reasonable airflow above the tail light level. Air on the glass was attached and low speed so there's little retarding force up high. I don't see anything to fix above this level, which is why I liked your prior efforts to make a break here. Note that Paul Jones recent efforts have been directed lower; rear wheel deflectors and whell well skirts.

That said, Kamm-backs are a popular and effective aerodynamic approach, so I will follow with interest!

HAve fun,

Frnak