Rear Camera install on an SE

JayCo59

Has anyone looked at adding the rear camera to an SE model? I somehow got a message on the screen when I put the car in reverse saying there was a fault in the reverse camera system, no camera is found see your ford dealer. Or something to the affect. But for whatever reason I can't seem to get the message to return. I got the impression that it might be able to be added by the dealer. Has anyone else seen this or similar message or looked into this?

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Appriciate the link, it's certainly an option. I was hoping the Ford factory camera would be an easier\cheaper solution, but maybe not.

So I went on-line and priced it up (MSRP) as best I could figure it might require and here's what I found...

1 - Camera (19G490) $379.92

1 - Camera Mount Bracket (19H421) $ 31.80

1 - Camera Module (19H405) $257.58

1 - Nut (HN1) $ 4.00

1 - Screw (HS1) $ 8.00

----------------------------------------------------------

$680.58

This is assuming the wires all exist to hook up the camera to the module and the module to the head unit and there is no S/W upgraade needed to make the unit recognize and use the new H/W.

So maybe the aftermarket solution is the way to go, because there's no guarantee adding in all this H/W wouldn't still require a S/W update from Ford and they wouldn't even do it at any price.

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Wow, $8 for a screw, I think Ford is just being intentionally ironic.

Another option is a rear view mirror with camera capabilities.

I have the SE and was thinking the same, but the best ones I have considered (Gentex GENK332) run about $380. The cameras I have seen as cheap as $15 (non OEM of course) on Ebay, though I have no idea how well they work or fit.

Edited by CNCGeek

The C-Max is my first Ford but I too am shocked by the cost of parts after browsing the Ford site ... for example, each wheel is about $477.

I have the SE without the touch screen, so I contacted NAVTV, advised them we were interested in what they can do for the C-Max and sent them a link to this post. As to my question about using my 3.5" screen, they said 'the screen is its own video processor' so probably couldn't be integrated.

As to the camera, there seem to be three styles:

One that replaces one of the license plate lamps and includes a lamp as well

One which requires drilling a hole through the hatch handle to the right of the right license lamp, the way the factory does it.

One that mounts using the license plate screws

With the prices of Ford parts and the fact that it may not even work due to programming issues I'm thinking of going with the the rearview mirror back-up camera solution from Gentex

(50-GENK3345). It's pricey but it includes the Auto-dimming mirror and integrated Homelink garage door opener.

I have this solution without the video in my Pontiac G6, Auto dimming with 3 garage door opener. This unit adds in the rear view camera (sold seperately)

http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors-rear-camera-display.html

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted my dealer's service dept about getting a rear camera added to the "My Ford Touch" system. They use a 3rd Party shop that claims to have a solution that will work with the built in screen, it's $700.00. They need to verify something with the car before they can say 100% that it will work. They also have a rearview mirror solution for $650.00.

I'm going to go there next Monday and see what they say about the setups.

I'll post what I get from them.

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

With the prices of Ford parts and the fact that it may not even work due to programming issues I'm thinking of going with the the rearview mirror back-up camera solution from Gentex

(50-GENK3345). It's pricey but it includes the Auto-dimming mirror and integrated Homelink garage door opener.

I have this solution without the video in my Pontiac G6, Auto dimming with 3 garage door opener. This unit adds in the rear view camera (sold seperately)

http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming-mirrors-rear-camera-display.html

Jay

Those Gentex mirror are excellent. Installed one in my Jetta TDI.

• 5 months later...

I contacted my dealer's service dept about getting a rear camera added to the "My Ford Touch" system. They use a 3rd Party shop that claims to have a solution that will work with the built in screen, it's $700.00. They need to verify something with the car before they can say 100% that it will work. They also have a rearview mirror solution for $650.00.

I'm going to go there next Monday and see what they say about the setups.

I'll post what I get from them.

Jay

Is there an update?

my 2012 Passat didnt offer the backup camera as the next year 2013 did. i inquired and found out i could get it added after with an OEM set-up since the head unit was already compatible so I'm going to do it. yes there is software flashing or setting to adjust to let it know it has the cam installed so it will work.so I'm sure the the Ford dealer can work something out for you in many cases if the wires are there. it is easier to fab a car to have it ready and just add the module if that option is ordered than having two different setups.

• 1 month later...

Yes,

I had the aftermarket Gentex 50-GENK3345 mirror installed and its working great.

Not cheap but I like the integrated garage door opener and auto dimming (and of course the backup camera).

I believe the complete cost was $800.00.

Jay

Is there an update?

Subject to any updated changes to the MY 2014 C-MAX Order Guide, besides the fact that "Zero" changes are planned for next years Production Run, they are (not) going to include the Rear View Camera Monitor as Standard Equipment on all Model Trim Lines.  Odd, the MY 2014 Fusion has added this feature as Standard Equipment on (all) Trim Levels but Ford deemed it not necessary for inclusion with its MY 2014 C-MAX?  Guess they plan an early "refresh" for MY 2015?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello to all

a NEW BE here

I have the 2013 Ford C-max SE at present and have done a little research on a third party Rear Cam.

if you are interested into looking at this info on the rear camera offered contact AutoSpa Mobile technologies at 1331 W. 121 Ave , Westminster, Co 80234

at Phone: 866-674-1705. Website: WWW.autospatech.com . This could be a solution to your rear Cam needs on the C-Max as will as other cars.

Yours to Enjoy

DiD