Not a C-Max owner…yet.

andermusik

I'm shopping for a hatchback hybrid and the C-Max SEL looks and drives the best by far. I'm totally sold on the car in every way, but like many I am squeamish about buying a model that is only in its second model year. I'm also concerned about long term reliability and repair cost of a Ford - which I have never owned. The decade of Prius ownership by friends and colleagues has convinced me of their reliability and low ownership cost, but I just like the C-Max way more.

I've been reading this forum for the last week so I already know quite a bit about the short term issues/fixes. So, at the risk of asking a huge open-ended question...

What are your opinions on the long term reliability and overall ownership costs of the C-Max Hybrid SEL?

Since the C-Max is about 1 1/2 years old, it's premature to assess long term reliability other than Ford has apparently not yet found the "fix" to the "dead battery" issue as owners are still having "no starts" after the latest software update.   However, many owners like myself at 20k+ miles have had no reliability issues. You can purchase Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (if your auto insurer offers it) or Ford's best extended warranty at prices around $1000+ depending on coverages but you have to negotiate or buy on-line from a Ford dealer.

The C-Max will likely never beat the Prius in cost of ownership as the Prius line will deliver better FE on average all else being the same (which may not be as it seems the first year depreciation of the C-Max might be higher than the Prius).  It depends on the deal you can get on the Prius vs the C-Max and how long one owns the vehicle. After 10 years and 150k miles, depreciation is virtually a non-factor.  I cannot see that their would be much difference in routine maintenance expenses.

If you like the C-Max (I would never buy a current vintage Prius after driving the C-Max - the Prius is not in the same ballpark IMO), find a lease deal so you can walk away from the C-Max if you eventually are unhappy with the C-Max.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

My Energi has been reliable and first year maintenance consisted of rotating the tires for around $30, free oil change (before required, but I didn't want to lose the free part), and state inspection. This was two services and included a variety of updates and recalls (not unexpected on a new model) and a loaner car. Insurance is not much higher than my two old ('00 and '02) cars and like my Prius, I expect maintenance to be low because the ICE runs much cleaner than on a regular car and does not run all the time. Even though the engine stops and starts a lot, it the electric motors bring it up to full speed before feeding fuel, so it runs clean and doesn't foul the oil like a regular car. And don't forget the brakes. With regenerative braking, they don't really wear out. I replaced the brakes on the Prius at 80k because i (mistakenly) thought it was time. That car now has over 210k on that set of brakes. By the way, look at any car and you will see the front wheels black from brake dust. The wheels on the C-Max and Prius are always clean even if I didn't get around to washing them this year.

There are recurring problems that you willread about in the forums- and these are not pretty for those affected- but they do not occur/recur in most of the cars and most of the owners are happy.

The C-Max is a safe bet., especially if you order one, rather than taking it off the lot, where it may have sat with a discharged 12v battery for many weeks.

Thanks, folks. These are all great responses.

I like Plus 3 Golfer's idea of trying to find a great deal on a year lease - maybe with some kind of "option to buy" at the end. Do those kinds of deals still exist? That would let me enjoy the car and give me another year to monitor the reliability statistics. I haven't yet called my dealer about this possibility, but any of you experts out there know of such an arrangement?

Based on fotomoto's idea I found the escape-city.com forum and did some reading up on Escape Hybrid history. It wasn't terribly comforting, but I understand people only go there to discuss their problems, not gush about excellent reliability. And it didn't seem that the problems were Hybrid-specific…so that's good.