Thule racks with panoramic roof

No experience with the Thule, but I had a yakima clamped onto my previous car for 13 years (removed only a couple times in that time) and once you wipe off the dirt that accumulates around the feet you can't tell there was a rack there.  You just have to make sure the roof and the feet bottoms are clean before you put it on.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone comment on the noise level with the aeroblades installed? I guess Thule says no fairing is needed, as the aeroblades were designed to eliminate the need for fairing. Also, how about MPG hit? Thanks.

Edited by bro1999

With yakima round bars, 3 bike mounts (relatively low profile trays with fork mounts) and wheel forks I took about a 1.2 mpg average hit (which includes some times when those mounts are loaded up with very non-aero bikes). I haven't done any detailed comparisons.  You should do much better with the Thule aeroblades, especially if they don't have equipment mounts attached. 

Can anyone comment on the noise level with the aeroblades installed? I guess Thule says no fairing is needed, as the aeroblades were designed to eliminate the need for fairing. Also, how about MPG hit? Thanks.

Hi Bro, I can't speak for the mpg hit, but they are quiet and I have never really noted much noise from the aeroblades.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I feel a little ridiculous necroing a thread from almost a decade ago, but Thule has removed all the information on what hardware works on the C-Max vehicles.

I have managed to secure the correct fit kit for the C-Max, but I can't find what length of bars I need to purchase for this model, can someone help me out?

• 2 weeks later...

@jzchen Great, appreciate the warm welcome and 

It seems quite difficult to actually identify the model # of the feet I purchased, since I got them from a local used site.

The Wingbars I've been able to source locally/used aren't long enough, although I have found some Aerobars that are the correct length.. 

The serial on the top of the foot doesn't seem to turn up any Google results.. The kit you discovered is still in production while mine have been discontinued. Here's a side shot of the foot I have.

I managed to find what I believe to be the same ones on Amazon, which identifies them as the Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480R.. this then led me to find the manual for these feet, here, which I *believe* seems to communicate that they're compatible with the Aeroblade bars.. I managed to actually find a set of 135cm Aeroblades locally here.

Any thoughts?

At this point I'm probably going to head over to see if the feet I have are compatible with the bars, but I'm still waiting to pick up the car so I can't even double check that the feet I have do indeed work with the C-Max (the seller was selling them for his dad, who had a C-Max, so they should be ok, and while the images from the original poster are now dead links, I can only assume from the text comments that the Thule system does indeed work with the pano roof.

I appreciate you participating in this conversation, if only to smile and nod alongside my journey/research ?

I have experience with buying parts for the now old Thule system.  Yes I believe the foot kit you got was the 480R which I vaguely recall use the aero blades.  Thank you for sharing that instruction it looks like the newer Wing blade Evos also fit (pardon me if I got the exact name wrong.  These feet are usually available for a long time past the “expiration” of the specific vehicle fitting, if you’ll just humor me for a second.  The foot attaches to the roof of each specific vehicle with what is called a “Fit Kit”.  This kit is vehicle specific and tends to disappear from production and then Thule will delist an available solution for the car.

Did what you were sold include this kit?  Basically it’ll be like a “L” to attach to the door frame.  Those 4 pieces aka fit kit are/is probably the most difficult part to find…

@jzchen thanks, yes, I already have the fit kit, I purchased it along with the feet from someone who's dad had a C-Max in the past (feet + fit kit were a grand total of $40 CAD)

I also purchased aeroblades for $200 CAD, I had to play ball with what the seller wanted because I wanted to avoid new, and it's not easy getting the specific length of 53" on used sites, so if something comes along, you grab it!

I finally picked up the vehicle yesterday (yay!) and have only attempted a perfuntory attempt to slide the feet onto the bar.. as you can see from the side shot (posted above), the interface between the foot and the bar doesn't seem to rely on the smaller slot under the bar, but instead struggles to slot into the larger channel above this slot.

Photos of the feet in some manuals show a smaller interface that I assume fits the channel, I am now wondering if:

• there were either multiple versions of the 480R feet (and/or)
  • I can lube up the existing interface and bang it on with a rubber mallet (and/or)
  • I can purchase a different interface for the existing feet that fits the channel (or)
  • I need to purchase an updated set of feet

I will continue to test and report back as I continue this complicated journey!

If someone knew/knows the Fit Kit Part number the installation instructions could be found through  Google search…

Hmm.  There are square bars and there are aero bars.  The 480R uses the aero bars.  The 480 would fit the square bars.  I’m afraid we may have mixed up 480 with 480R?

it's the Thule Rapid System Kit 1683

Here is a scan of the instructions.

The clamp is part #7105

The wing bars are part #7113 (50" / 127 cm)

The fitting kit is part #5907 (This will probably be the hardest part to find)

I did find a set for sale at eBay Motors
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363771608668?epid=16039490686&hash=item54b27a3e5c:g:j-cAAOSw-oFkP49E

This is a video of the installation https://youtu.be/LDRuuJXUkC0

Thule Rack.1.bmp Thule Rack.2.bmp Thule Rack.3.bmp Thule Rack.4.bmp