Ford dropping Microsoft Auto in favor of QNX

Wonder what this means for current MFT/SYNC vehicles that are powered by Microsoft.

I am not getting my hope up. ( Not even a little bit. )

But since I want American auto manufactures to do well, I am glad they are doing it.

Edited by obob

They probably could port it to whatever they have in the field, but there is probably not sufficient reason to justify the expense. We will probably have to wait for our next Ford. The best we can reasonably hope for is another reliability update if it is even necessary. Sync is wonky, but it basically gets the job done.

QNX in Volkswagen?

I looked at Passat diesel before buying the C-Max and was not impressed with console look and feel. However I bet QNX can tune radio stations and display the actual frequency instead of 404, or whatever HTTP(?) error Sync displays.

My greatest disappointment with C-Max infotainment is the lack of a progress bar on songs, as in iTunes.

I wonder how long all of this will take. My last car was ten years old when I bought the C-MAX, but that was a record breaker for me. I see myself holding this C-MAX for about five years, or until there is something so new and so much better that it would compel me to do the deed. So, if it actually ends out taking three to five years to see it in vehicles, I am not going to sweat it. Even if it takes almost that long, that means that there will be support for our version. 

There will be support for our version, but that doesn't mean that they will be updating it on a regular basis or at all. I wouldn't mind seeing one more major update to make things work that much more reliably, but perhaps we have already seen the pinnacle of what our Sync can do. It basically does what they said it would do without crashing every time we use it. That is all they absolutely owe us and they may feel that is enough.

But...here's a big but...or maybe a big butt...They are going with Blackberry. Yes, that disappearing company, not say Apple. Oh, it could get worse...

Blackberry is not doing well but QNX is a subsidiary under RIM.

QNX is actually an industry leader in embedded operating systems.  Audi, BMW, VW, Chrysler/Dodge are among the manufacturers that use QNX.  This could be a good thing for Ford.  I do hope that they keep ahead with other developments when they mature (Apple and Android) but right now they are looking for stability which Microsoft has struggled to provide in MFT.

Just read this article that was posted on CR.  Don't usually read often from CR but a tidbit from their article is interesting.

According to the Detroit News, a Ford representative said that owners would be able to download the new operating system to their existing cars this year or next. Hopefully the change in operating systems will eliminate the system crashes we experienced in our Ford Edge and Ford Flex and wipe out the other remaining bugs.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/ford-pairs-with-blackberry/index.htm

I hope that part about downloading the new OS for MFT is true and I hope it doesn't apply to just the Edge and Flex.

Just read this article that was posted on CR.  Don't usually read often from CR but a tidbit from their article is interesting.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/02/ford-pairs-with-blackberry/index.htm

I hope that part about downloading the new OS for MFT is true and I hope it doesn't apply to just the Edge and Flex.

It sure sounds like that's what it means. The article is unclear about the context of the Edge and Flex. However, reading the entire (but short) article, I am guessing that the writer is referencing a prior test of Edge and Flex with MFT, not that the updates to the new OS will only be available on those two vehicles. The article's title and everything leading up to the Edge and Flex reference are not vehicle specific.

Everything works fine in my C-MAX, but it sure would be great to be able to get all OS and other updates and upgrades possible. I'm on board!

I'm going out on a limb and say NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, at least NOT the way the article says.

"a Ford representative said that owners would be able to :lol:download the new operating system"

Download a WHOLE new OS???? if it happens then MS  :lol2: will REALLY  look bad!

Edited by wab

The car world is about to change - phones in cars, as (mis)used today, will be as old-school as points and condensers - no longer needed.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wY9AzUfSdKU

Ford's switch to QNX is goooood news.  Its not just about eliminating annoyances and "aliens"!  Future automotive communications, infotainment and driver assistance technology needs the best in performance, reliability and security.  Have a look at what this OS runs now:  http://www.qnx.org.uk/company/30ways/

Was happy to hear this the other day on the news. Audi cars have great infotainment systems. Wish I could afford an A6 or S5 ;)

It would be great if current vehicles could be updated. If not it might put off the " soon to be buyers"  from getting a new CMax right now (like my wife and I are waiting).

Any idea when this will take effect and when is the cut-in date for the vehicles they add it to?

Hope we don't have to wait for the 2015 CMax to get this. Would hate to be left hanging with no support on the ousted Sync system. It would be like "nice knowing you ...you are on your own now....good luck".

Super cool vid showing capability of Q N X software in an Audi:

That's pretty neat that they can display the navigation right into the driver information cluster.

Besides the stability Ford needs to add more computing power to make the system more responsive.

All of this back and forth about the OS sounds consistent with the article that was posted that said that Ford was checking out its future options. It sounds like no decision has been made, and the reason why everyone is suddenly hearing about all of this is because Ford is doing as it said, contacting various possible vendors for OS and apps to see what they could possibly do in MFT. So, I'd say to expect more articles like this as the various vendors report in.