Ford dropping Microsoft Auto in favor of QNX

Here's a bit of an article I read today on a Mac site about CarPlay and QNX:

Apple's newly unveiled CarPlay iOS vehicle integration system, which allows an iPhone to take over the in-dash display of a car, has been designed to work with BlackBerry's QNX operating system. The QNX Car Platform powers many in-car infotainment systems and includes a mobile connectivity framework that supports many mobile development environments, including iOS.

MyFord Touch current configuration ...

For hardware MyFord Touch uses a Freescale i.MX51 SOC with a single-core ARM Cortex A8 processor running at 600MHz. Then 512MB of RAM and 2GB of flash memory round out the hardware. As for background software, SYNC is built on Microsoft's Windows Automotive, which in turn is based on Windows CE. 

Tom's Hardware has a good detailed article on the hardware platform for MyFord touch ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ford-focus-infotainment-sync-myford,3206-2.html

2012 ford focus titanium sync myford touch,4 K 338420 13

QNX has an article saying they support the ARM Cortex-A8 processor in MyFord touch ...

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_3895_1.html

It is conceivable that the C-Max could run a new version of MyFord Touch based on QNX unless there is something proprietary they did to support Windows Automotive CE. The question is will they develop for this older hardware platform or go with something new and leave the old MyFord Touch systems in the dust.  My sense is they went with a standard platform using the Freescale i.MX51 SOC and should be able to easily compile a branch for the older hardware.

Edited by nsteblay

QNX has an article saying they support the ARM Cortex-A8 processor in MyFord touch ...

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_3895_1.html

Not quite. There are dozens of manufacturers of ARM based microcomputers. While many will use an particular flavor (such as the Cortex-A8) difference manufacturers use different I/O (Input/Ouput) systems. While QNX said they supported some Texas Instruments chips, that doesn't mean they have support for the Freescale chip in the Sync computer.

Not quite. There are dozens of manufacturers of ARM based microcomputers. While many will use an particular flavor (such as the Cortex-A8) difference manufacturers use different I/O (Input/Ouput) systems. While QNX said they supported some Texas Instruments chips, that doesn't mean they have support for the Freescale chip in the Sync computer.

From the Freescale site ...

QNX Software Systems: “Freescale extends its leadership in the automotive and 
industrial markets by delivering the highly integrated and powerful i.MX51 applications 
processor,” said Romain Saha, business development manager at QNX Software 
Systems. "The i.MX51 incorporates dedicated OpenVG and OpenGL ES hardware 
acceleration that is vital for popular customer requirements like Adobe Flash. In 
combination with the QNX Aviage Middleware, customers can easily develop rich 
multimedia products with highly advanced Human Machine Interfaces imperative to the 
automotive infotainment space."

But your right that its more complicated than simple conjecture based on some marketing materials.  I do think it is safe to say that they could get QNX to work on the i.MX51 platform. Whether they will depends on where they are going with the hardware and specific software releases they'll be using. I hope they don't leave the current Microsoft based systems in the dust but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

I don't mean for this to come off the wrong way, but... uhm... so can we. 

Really?

Whenever I bring up the navigation on the driver cluster all it shows is a basic compass and if I have an active route on the navigation then it displays upcoming turn directions but it doesn't show the active map.

Is there an option or button press to active the map into the driver cluster?

Really?

Whenever I bring up the navigation on the driver cluster all it shows is a basic compass and if I have an active route on the navigation then it displays upcoming turn directions but it doesn't show the active map.

Is there an option or button press to active the map into the driver cluster?

Oh! I misunderstood.

Alright then, no, the full map can't be displayed. I've been content with the Next Turn information.

My 2012 VW Passat can show the navigation directions and arrows, although only in monocolor,  right in the dash/multi function indicator (mfi)

This lets you use your nav screen for the media like you're music so you can still have your directions on the dash screen.It's a nice touch.

That's pretty neat that they can display the navigation right into the driver information cluster.

Besides the stability Ford needs to add more computing power to make the system more responsive.

What happens if you aren't on the Apple bandwagon and use an android phone instead of an iPhone?? Not everyone wants to be forced to use a certain phone type.

Here's a bit of an article I read today on a Mac site about CarPlay and QNX:

Apple's newly unveiled CarPlay iOS vehicle integration system, which allows an iPhone to take over the in-dash display of a car, has been designed to work with BlackBerry's QNX operating system. The QNX Car Platform powers many in-car infotainment systems and includes a mobile connectivity framework that supports many mobile development environments, including iOS.

It's very doubtful that they will install the new software in the older cars since who is going top pay for it. The consumer of course since its not a safety issue and They would have to know how many would be for sure going to pay to update their old cmax so they could pay for development.  Not very likely as the low # that would care to update would be so small that the cost would outweigh the costs for Ford to put in the resources in people and programming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to be dredging, but has there been any update on all of this nonsense? The Microsoft powered MFT SUCKS.

The 2016 C-Max brochure is listed as having MyFord Touch 3, as shown here. Also, in the picture, you can see that the MyFord Touch screen looks much different, even if you can't see the detail.

Edited by raadsel