Coming soon Apple CarPlay

I hope this will be available to Ford? Maybe it will put an end to the to issues I've been having with my iphone and Sync. As popular as iphone and Apple products are worldwide, seems like this should been installed from the beginning in most new cars or at least an option.

Ford is getting on board with CarPlay. While I have no official information on this, I highly doubt we will see it available as an update to the existing MFT system. From what I've been reading, CarPlay requires QNX hardware, which is why Ford is jumping ship. So unless that information is wrong, which I kind of doubt because it all makes sense, we won't see CarPlay support for legacy systems. Which kinda makes me feel better since I paid a premium for the navigation system but, I would still like the ease of use Apple provides.

Edited by John Sparks

Ford is getting on board with CarPlay. While I have no official information on this, I highly doubt we will see it available as an update to the existing MFT system. From what I've been reading, CarPlay requires QNX hardware, which is why Ford is jumping ship. So unless that information is wrong, which I kind of doubt because it all makes sense, we won't see CarPlay support for legacy systems. Which kinda makes me feel better since I paid a premium for the navigation system but, I would still like the ease of use Apple provides.

How long until something like this actually sees its way into the vehicle line?

There is a "very" slight possiblility that we will see it in the new Mustang or F-150, but don't hold your breath. I'd say it's far more likely that we won't see implementation until next year. Possibly in the 15 Spring refresh.

Periodically the Ford trainer will come by for new vehicle training or new procedures, etc. Sometimes we can get him to give us just a little tidbit about upcoming products. Not sure when he'll be back around as our next training is on the F-150, I believe, and that's hands on training in Atlanta, he may be out with the new Mustang before then. I'll see if I can get anything out of him. :D

Edited by John Sparks

I hope this will be available to Ford? Maybe it will put an end to the to issues I've been having with my iphone and Sync. As popular as iphone and Apple products are worldwide, seems like this should been installed from the beginning in most new cars or at least an option.

What kind of issues are you having with your iPhone and Sync? Also what kind of iPhone do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of issues are you having with your iPhone and Sync? Also what kind of iPhone do you have?

The biggest problem is when a call comes in I can't hear it through my car speakers, I always end up removing my iphone from the cradle and taking the call through the phone which is illegal to do in California.  It sync's fine with Sync, no problem getting it paired.  Wasn't a problem before the last software upgrade through my local dealer where I bought the car.

The biggest problem is when a call comes in I can't hear it through my car speakers, I always end up removing my iphone from the cradle and taking the call through the phone which is illegal to do in California.  It sync's fine with Sync, no problem getting it paired.  Wasn't a problem before the last software upgrade through my local dealer where I bought the car.

I know this sounds like a stupid question but, have you tried turning up the volume on the sync system during the call? If so you might try rebooting or resetting your iPhone. Most people I know never turn their phone off and you would be surprised at how many customers come in with the strangest issue and simply rebooting their phone fixes the problem. On the iPhone you might try a reset. It's the same as a battery pull on a different phone. Hold down the home button and the sleep button at the top of the phone until the screen goes off then just boot the phone back up.

If that doesn't fix your issue, go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove sync from the paired devices. Do the same on the sync side. Then re-pair your phone to sync.

If that doesn't fix it pull the 12 volt battery cable in the back of the car for 5 - 10 minutes.

Last but not least, perform a master reset on the sync system. I resort to this as a last ditch effort because you will loose all of your settings and your EV+ locations will be wiped and will have to be relearned. It does not wipe the lifetime stats though.

Hope this helps.

I know this sounds like a stupid question but, have you tried turning up the volume on the sync system during the call? If so you might try rebooting or resetting your iPhone. Most people I know never turn their phone off and you would be surprised at how many customers come in with the strangest issue and simply rebooting their phone fixes the problem. On the iPhone you might try a reset. It's the same as a battery pull on a different phone. Hold down the home button and the sleep button at the top of the phone until the screen goes off then just boot the phone back up.

If that doesn't fix your issue, go into the Bluetooth settings on your phone and remove sync from the paired devices. Do the same on the sync side. Then re-pair your phone to sync.

If that doesn't fix it pull the 12 volt battery cable in the back of the car for 5 - 10 minutes.

Last but not least, perform a master reset on the sync system. I resort to this as a last ditch effort because you will loose all of your settings and your EV+ locations will be wiped and will have to be relearned. It does not wipe the lifetime stats though.

Hope this helps.

Add this to Johns suggestions.

It worked on an old Motorola I had… :headspin: OR maybe a phone system I used to work on???

Set up a phone call then go to your iphone, DON’T switch to it just turn the volume on the phone up.

Tap on the settings cog on the main myFord touch home screen. On the menus on the left tap on system and iscroll all the way down on the right and click on master reset.

It takes a few minutes and you will see the system go black and then a few minutes later it will come up with the sync screen that says performing scheduled maintenance.

Then you just have to pair your phone.

Ok it appears the suggestion of turning my volume up when taking a call works.  I tried this today when my phone rang, I accept the call, said hello and cranked the volume and there was my caller.  Now what I really want is to see my iPhone 5 screen appear on the MFT screen.  Ford...CarPlay is a must for the first year owners.  There must be a way to get this on my 2013 SEL.  I paid for the premium sound system and this is a necessary upgrade.  I have the latest OSX 7.1 on my phone.  Tell me it can happen?

Edited by mtb9153

Finally!  It would be nice if existing Sync systems could be upgraded to this, but I don't have much hope.  It's been obvious for a while that the best way to do the car/smartphone interface is just to use the touchscreen as a display and touchscreen input for the phone.  The development lifecycle on phones is much faster than on cars, so any nav or entertainment system that comes with a new car will generally be a couple generations behind what your current phone has.  And the car will rapidly fall behind the phone. 

Ok it appears the suggestion of turning my volume up when taking a call works. I tried this today when my phone rang, I accept the call, said hello and cranked the volume and there was my caller. Now what I really want is to see my iPhone 5 screen appear on the MFT screen. Ford...CarPlay is a must for the first year owners. There must be a way to get this on my 2013 SEL. I paid for the premium sound system and this is a necessary upgrade. I have the latest OSX 7.1 on my phone. Tell me it can happen?

It's all up to Ford.

One thing I hope Ford considers is the growing number of locations with bans on the use of phones while driving. While some locations allow for navigation directions from the phone, good luck trying to convince a law enforcement office that you were using your phone only for navigation!

Frankly, I'm all for such bans given then number of folks focusing on their phones instead of the road.

I hope Ford values the added safety that CarPlay on a MFT or SYNC system would bring to existing customers!

• 3 weeks later...

So picked my Ford trainers brain today about CarPlay. He looked at me with a puzzled look and said he would like to know too. He and other trainers in his group have been trying to find out about it but, Ford is being hush hush. He's excited about the possibility of it. He did say that there is some "speculation" that this could be why the 2015 F-150 has been delayed, so that they can go back and add it but, in reality he had no information on it at all.

Doesn't sound like CarPlay is even being considered...

Exec: Ford could replace troublesome MyFord Touch
  • David Shepardson
  • The Detroit News
  • Comments
  •  

New York — Ford Motor Co.’s Americas chief Joe Hinrichs said Tuesday that the automaker is working to improve its MyFord Touch infotainment system — the focus of many consumer complaints — and suggested Ford could unveil a system to eventually replace it.

“There are software limitations with the current system that we want to break through so that in the future we can offer more capability,” Hinrichs told reporters at a forum here ahead of the New York International Auto Show. “Like anything with technology, there’s a lot of evolution in capability, speed, memory.”

At the forum, Hinrichs suggested the company may take a dramatic step.

“We said we’re going to lead in this space,” Hinrichs said. “We’re not standing still. We’ll eventually have something to say on this.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140415/AUTO0102/304150096#ixzz2z6qRgp7p

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140415/AUTO0102/304150096/1148/rss25

Edited by kostby

My sync system has been doing allot of maintenance updates the last two days, more than I've seen this close together.  Strange thing is after the system is finished and reboots, when I select the NAV function from the screen the screen locks and none of the functions are selectable.  After a few minutes the screen refreshes and everything is fine again.  Acting weirder than usual, but it's Microsoft based so I'm not surprised. Apple Mac would be so much better.