Engine Coolant

howie411

Can anyone check their engine coolant and tell me what the level is? I was filling up my wife's windshield washer fluid today in her C-max and I noticed the coolant level was a tad bit below the minimum level line.  There also seems to be what looks like coolant around the top of the container.

I finally got to take a picture, here is what I see.  As you can see there is a lid, and their is I guess engine coolant around it.  Its also just below the min.

That's not the engine coolant, that's the coolant for the motor electronics. I too have seen some leakage in that area on my Energi.

My engine coolant was low, sent to dealer twice and they filled up.  They also pressure tested and saying there was no leak.  But it kept going below the min level.  I don't know why, and dealer don't know why either.  It might worth just get a jar of coolant from Ford dealer and add it periodically at home.

Ok, fine, but I don't think it should be leaking or below the min line. :)

My engine coolant was low, sent to dealer twice and they filled up.  They also pressure tested and saying there was no leak.  But it kept going below the min level.  I don't know why, and dealer don't know why either.  It might worth just get a jar of coolant from Ford dealer and add it periodically at home.

Our motor home has a Ford motor, used a gallon of coolant in the first 5K miles.

Took it to a dealer "They also pressure tested and saying there was no leak."

Used another quart so we took it to another dealer, they changes a hose...hasn't used a drop in over 4K miles.

A co-worker added coolant every month to a company car for a year and sent it to the shop 5 or 6 times, one month he "forgot"

the autopsy result said "leaking head gasket FOR A LONG time."

Edited by wab

Hi everyone,

If you're having concerns about your coolant levels, having your dealer check for leaks is your best bet. If you still need a hand after that, PM me (or FordServiceCA if you're in Canada) your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info. I'll see what I can do to help.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

My Ford dealer service people are very nice, I don't want to get them in trouble by sending their information to Ford directly.  So I decided to send car in my dealer for another check yesterday. They told me the side having level lower is the EV side, not engine side.  They filled up that coolant for me again, and asked if I could let them have the cars for few days, they would send a person non-stop keep driving the car to see if they can duplicate the problem.  I refused that request.  From my past experience, coolant level from above max goes down to below min, it will takes about 5000 miles. That is like drive from Los Angeles to NY and back.  I don't want them add that many miles to my car.

Is there a way to check EV coolant leak other than keep driving my car by service person?

The dealer also explained to me that they can not just replacing parts on the door for the wind whistle problem.  They have to drive on the freeway with windy days to checkout.  Any other way to test this kind of problem? Do you have something like pressure paper to find out which part not making good contact?

In general, I like Ford C-MAX very much, also highly recommend the car and the dealership people.  Just those little things that I would like to see them perfect.

• 4 years later...

Not sure, if i do or not, but it is low, if there is a leak , it is a very very slow one...its not overheating or anything...

I kinda thought that was how it worked to Paul lol, any kind would do .. wasnt sure,

the one i found was designed for Fords.. my car is due for inspection this month so ill ask them to check it out. 

Mine was a little below MIN level also.
I Just picked up a gallon of antifreeze FORD ORANGE from the Ford Dealer parts counter, they recommend NOT mixing with other coolants, other people have probably have done this, and some coolants say compatible with all vehicles. but I figured i'd go with the FORD Orange coolant.  I put in both electric motor and ICE overflow bottles and some in my wifes escape, all were a little below min. level. raised them up to middle level. I think it was like $18-23 for the gallon. 

Edited by WNY

https://www.amazon.ca/Genuine-Ford-VC-3DIL-B-Pre-Diluted-Antifreeze/dp/B00BNVK1NQ

Do you mean this WNY? in in Canada btw, things are much harder to get here than USA . There is no way id ever pay $72 (plus 50$ for shipping)either lol i actually saw another one for $121 (canadian dollars but still). LOL  hahaha 25$ in USA (US$) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BNVK1NQ/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

My car is a 2013 with 60 000 miles, i will probably buy the cheap stuff or try calling Ford. thanks for the tip, its probably much cheaper at the dealer.

Edited by DarenHayes

Wow, expensive in Canada. 

Mine says VC-3-B Orange/Antifreeze coolant Concentrate Antifreeze/Coolant. 

This is what the for dealer sold me. I think yours with the VC-3-DIL-B in the part number is diluted. premixed.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-VC-3-B-Concentrated-Antifreeze/dp/B00BNVK14U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543707539&sr=8-1&keywords=VC-3-B+coolant

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2014 at 3:06 AM, jdbob said:

Looks like you remove the metal panel under the engine area first and there is a drain plug:

coolant_drain.gif

Then there is a long bleeding procedure:

coolant_bleed.gif

Doesn't look like any fun at all.

Hi,

I have a quastion about procedure.

1. I have to start engine or only acc?

2. After prees accelerator pedal for 10 sec should realise and press for 1 minute or still hold for 1 minute?

4. During the bleeding the fluid container should be open?

10. How can I check if I have Vacuum System Filler

Thanks
Karol