Any maintenance for C-MAX transmission?

webcontrol

It's not expected to use any fluid unless there is a leak somewhere. In order to check you have to remove the pan underneath the engine compartment to get to the fill hole:

transfluid.gif

Best left to the dealer. The scheduled maintenance says to replace the fluid after 150000 miles.

Because any metal part will have tiny bits after running for a while, I always like to drain and refill the transmission fluid with best fully synthetic fluid like Royal purple synth MAX ATF after 10-20k miles with my other cars.  Does Ford car has fluid drain plug?  Thanks!

There is a drain plug at the bottom of the transmission. However, from the Royal Purple web site:

"Max ATF is NOT recommended for the following applications: Allison TES-389, DEXRON® VI, Ford Type F and MERCON® SP & LV, Honda DW-1,....."

The C-Max uses MERCON type LV. And also from their website:

"Max ATF is not recommended for use in any CVT or DCT applications."

Sounds like a good way to ruin your car.

Good to chat with you to know that, Amazon web site had wrong information saying that Royal Purple MAX ATF is good for Mercon LV.

Do you have any full synthetic transmission fluid to recommend for C-MAX?  What do you think Red Line Oil D6 ATF?

Also, if you could show a picture where is the drain plug, that would help.  Even using exactly MERCON type LV, I think it is better to replace the transmission fluid once for a while.

Edited by webcontrol

If you are going to be doing things like that you really need access to the workshop manual. You can buy a subscription at https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=cat_main or you can purchase a CD-ROM at http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=FRD&Model=CMAX&Year=&Category=15&class_2=FRD&mk=Ford&yr=All+Years&md=C-MAX&dt=Electronic+Service+Information+%28CD+Rom+and%2For+DVD%29&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=FCS2122913&itemtype=N

Keep in mind that these ECVT units don't have all the sliding parts that conventional transmissions have, and therefore have less wear. 

If you are going to be doing things like that you really need access to the workshop manual. You can buy a subscription at https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=cat_main or you can purchase a CD-ROM at http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=FRD&Model=CMAX&Year=&Category=15&class_2=FRD&mk=Ford&yr=All+Years&md=C-MAX&dt=Electronic+Service+Information+%28CD+Rom+and%2For+DVD%29&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=FCS2122913&itemtype=N

Keep in mind that these ECVT units don't have all the sliding parts that conventional transmissions have, and therefore have less wear. 

It’s pretty hard to get the old fluid out of some transmissions (F250 6.0) no drain, you have to let the transmission pump the old out and the new in.

Some even with a drain (Mini Cooper S) it’s even harder to get the new in, no fill tube.

The last transmission fluid I changed that only had a check level hole like the CMax I used a long piece of tubing and held it in the hole while a second person used a small funnel to empty the bottles down the tubing.  Added fluid until it ran out the hole.  The car must be level so I parked it pointed down the slope of my driveway before putting it on ramps.

The C-max has a fill plug, drain plug and check plug.  The fill hole is accessed from the top after removing air intake stuff and cowl panel. After draining, add 5.4 liters, run engine for one minute, wait 5 minutes and drain excess oil from check plug shown in post 2 above.  I would not use the check level hole to add 5.4 liters as the manual show using a syringe to top off when checking.  It would likely be a tedious process like fotomoto describes.  Also, to get an accurate fill level, fluid temperature should be between 20*C - 40*C (remember the dipstick fluid method had a hot and cold fill line).

Also, I see no reason to change fluid at 10-20k miles.   But it's not my $$$.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Anyone can post pictures for the drain hole and fill hole?

Although it sounds wasting money, from my past experience with other brand cars, that money is well worth, not because the fluid gone bad, rather there are micro metal particles in the fluid after running 10-20k miles.

should the service publication be subscribed? Some how I can not paste anything to this forum.

This is the only forum I belong to that I have problems with.

Can’t Paste

Can’t Quote

Can’t use anything on the top tool bar (text color, can't change font size, smiley etc)

But I have found a few work arounds.

I copy and paste into a word document then copy and paste from there to the forum.

Use MultiQuote then delete the post I don’t want to quote.

A partial work around for the top tool bar.

????

This is the only forum I belong to that I have problems with.

Can’t Paste

Can’t Quote

Can’t use anything on the top tool bar (text color, can't change font size, smiley etc)

But I have found a few work arounds.

I copy and paste into a word document then copy and paste from there to the forum.

Use MultiQuote then delete the post I don’t want to quote.

A partial work around for the top tool bar.

????

When you can't do something that everyone else can do, why do you assume it's a "forum" problem, rather than a "you" problem?m

When you can't do something that everyone else can do, why do you assume...

Why do you assume everyone else can?

My issue is weak passords, "weak" as in they don't last the session. I open a few threads and I'm no longer logged in to any of them. Previously open threads no longer allow me to reply. My base page (New Content) requires an active password to open, yet after opening a few new threads, I'm no longer logged in on any thread, includinge New Content!

It's an inability to recognize actions taken by logged-in members. Failure to forward credentials from one web page to another on the same site. How is that a local issue?

I came across this post in a loudspeaker forum. I know the poster, and have no reason to doubt his veracity. I can't say if he's with Ford, but it's clearly a major vendor. When he speaks of quality, I listen, as he's responsible for my favorite speakers

No drain plug and no dipstick, maybe we're trying to tell you something. wink.gif Most modern automatic transmissions are fill-for-life. We do not want or see a need for anyone to be inside unless there is a failure of some kind and even then they should be qualified. Transmission fluid does not need to be drained and changed over the life the vehicle in most situations. Interesting tidbit, I work in the Quality division and I see the warranty data of not just us, but of all of the manufacturers that we benchmark. Over the last several years our warranty charts have been rescaled down by a factor of 10. Current warranty numbers would barely show up on the charts of twenty years ago, they'd almost look like a flat line. That's how good things are getting these days.

Kind of makes sense for Ford to recommend a 150K miles tranny service...

HAve fun,

Frank

Thanks for that information. I had a Chrysler before, that transmission totaled after 40,000 miles.  In my Toyota and Lexus, they all have drain plug underneath and fill hole on top.  From what I saw, transmission fluid start changing color after 50,000 miles. From what I heard from transmission shop, whenever fluid color changed, it should be replaced.  50,000 miles is beyond most factory warranty, so that people probably go to transmission shops to fix them, instead of dealer--where they charge more in most cases.

Toyota sold a lot more cars. One reason is they know people want to keep their cars for long time, so that they designed easy maintenance in their cars.  Most American cars don't design the transmission drain plug on them.  If you talk to transmission shop owners, you will find out that most cars fixed there are American cars.  Everything will break.  The one lasting is the one easy to maintain.

Edited by webcontrol

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you assume everyone else can?

My issue is weak passords, "weak" as in they don't last the session. I open a few threads and I'm no longer logged in to any of them. Previously open threads no longer allow me to reply. My base page (New Content) requires an active password to open, yet after opening a few new threads, I'm no longer logged in on any thread, includinge New Content!

It's an inability to recognize actions taken by logged-in members. Failure to forward credentials from one web page to another on the same site. How is that a local issue?

This sounds like it might be a cookie issue. Do you have cookies turned off for the forum website?

I would assume cookie settings don't vary from one link to the next, so the presence of this reply box under your message tells me my settings are correct.

The fact that I will not be able to post this reply without again logging in demonstrates the problem. The next link in the forum opened without credentials, as a guest, so I can't reply to anything until I log in.

THIS IS A PROBLEM. I usually just go silent... and silence kills forums like nothing else!

Not having fun,

Frank, who has put this message on the clipboard so I don't ahve to retype it.

Here's some irony... That next link where I was no longer recognized still managed to open on the first unread post. How does it know what I've read?

Edited by fbov