Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Any maintenance for C-MAX transmission?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tomasz Karwowski

Tomasz Karwowski

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 63 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • LocationPoland
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Attached File  HF35_motors.jpg   132.15KB   1 downloads

Hello

Edited by Tomasz Karwowski, 03 October 2017 - 12:00 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,558 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

has anyone possibly taken any pictures of where the drain, fill and check plugs are on the c-max?

Trans fluid doesn't need to be changed until 150k mi., you can monitor trans fluid temp with ScanGaugeII if you think you have a problem.

Paul

#43 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 875 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

Welcome Thomaz  :)

This is the spec. for the transmission fluid: WSS-M2C938-A MERCONĀ® LV.  So, it looks like the RAVENOL ATF F-LV Fluid is okay to use.

Here's the drain and fill plug locations.  The check plug location was shown in an earlier post in this thread.  Also, see my post here on temperature and other instructions.

gallery_167_32_4991.png

I can't get to the image of fill/drain plug locations.  Any chance you could post it again?  I want to change the fluid which I can get at O'Reillys and save $100 to $150 over shop or dealer prices.

#44 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:08 AM

I would use whatever fluid they officially spec, this transmission has electric motor windings in it, so some of the other brands may not be formulated for that?  I had to yell at the guy in a Toyota dealership once to use the WS ATF transmission fluid - they want to treat the hybrid just like any other car - in some cases that's okay, in some cases I'd rather not spend $3,000 on a new transmission just to save $45 in ATF fluid costs.

• ptjones and obob like this

#45 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 875 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

I would use whatever fluid they officially spec, this transmission has electric motor windings in it, so some of the other brands may not be formulated for that?  I had to yell at the guy in a Toyota dealership once to use the WS ATF transmission fluid - they want to treat the hybrid just like any other car - in some cases that's okay, in some cases I'd rather not spend $3,000 on a new transmission just to save $45 in ATF fluid costs.

Agree.  I bought the Motorcraft MERCON LV as specified in the manual - $7.99/qt at O'Reillys.  Changing it would be $150-$160 at my tire dealer (they use Wynn's) or $190 at the dealer.  Would still like to know the fill plug location.  There was a document on the Fusion Energi forum but its now gone (along with Plus 3 Golfer's image in post #28 above).  Its time to change the air filter so I'll have a look around when doing that.  I might have to rig up a hose to fill through the check plug hole. 

#46 ONLINE   cr08

cr08

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max E

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

I don't have any immediate info on hand but may dig a little deeper after work. But some tidbits that may help track it down:

• Check the transmission teardowns on the Weber Auto Youtube channel. The fill/drain/check plugs most likely have been mentioned and indicated.
  • Any searches, make sure to use 'HF-35' which is the model of the hybrid transmission used in the C-Max and Fusion hybrid/Energi's from 2013-2017.
  • Another Youtube channel, fordtechmakuloco, recently covered transmission fluid drain/fill on the earlier 2005-2008 Escape hybrids which are not the same transmission but are very similar. Those were Aisin built while the 2013+ years are Ford built but have VERY close designs. May provide some breadcrumbs on where to look that may be of assistance.

Edited by cr08, 25 April 2018 - 08:30 AM.

• ptjones and obob like this

#47 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 875 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:24 PM

Changed transmission fluid today - easier than engine oil and filter.  Saved $140 over dealer and no more time spent.  You can access the check plug up through the left wheel well by pulling the plastic shield forward.  14mm plug (don't loose the thin washer).  My fluid was a bit low, nothing came out and a cotton bud had to be tipped down somewhat to contact the fluid.  The drain plug came out easily too with a normal allen wrench.  The fluid was rather black.  I rigged a funnel and tubing to fill through the check hole.  1/4" OD tubing will go in.  It takes a while to fill with several feet of tubing that small.  It would be better to use a 1/4" ID hose and short piece of tubing at the end.  I wedged some foam between the tubing and that goofy bolt just below the hole so the tubing would be sloped down into the transmission.    Put in 5 qt, screwed in plug temporarily, ran engine for 1 minute, waited 5, removed plug and put in about another 0.3 qt.  I measured what drained out and the bucket showed about 4.6 qt.

Also changed air filter and looked for the "official" fill plug.  I'm not sure I found it but there was as a stepped rubber/plastic cap (rather oily) back there that may have been it - too had to get to.  Filling through the check plug seems the way to go.

• JAZ and ptjones like this

#48 ONLINE   homestead

homestead

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 477 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPacific Northwest
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:45 PM

SnowStorm how many miles do you have on your car?

Is there a filter for the transmission fluid?

Edited by homestead, 27 April 2018 - 11:45 PM.

#49 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 875 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:30 AM

154k miles.  According to the Weber Auto Youtube video there is an internal filter - you can't get to it from outside.

Custom Search

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·