Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

MY CMAX is a lemon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

It is not equivalent to the accessory position. C-Maxes with a key actually have a third setting, Accessory, which basically only powers the radio/MFT. It does not power the other displays on the dash, the climate control, etc. It then has an On position, which is similar to pressing the start/stop button without pushing the brake pedal -- this powers all the electrical systems but, as you note, does not provide propulsion. The key then has a third position, Start, which is like pushing the Start/Stop button with the brake depressed.

As I understand the difference, Accessory does not connect the HVB, it runs solely off the 12V battery -- though it does have a lower draw since it is only powering the radio. By contrast, when "On" (without going to start, with the key, or holding the brake) the HVB is connected, just that it cannot be recharged by the ICE, but it will continue to recharge the 12V battery until the HVB battery's power state gets too low. How long the battery will last depends on the draw of the car and the charge level of the HVB, but since all systems are on -- radio, climate, all computers, etc. -- there is a much greater draw on the batteries.

While I understand you might feel this is semantics, it can cause issues for some activities with an SEL. For example, if you want to add an address into your Nav unit, with keyless entry the car must be "On" to do this; with an SE you can put it in accessory and not have everything on. Another example is going to a drive in movie, where the sound is transmitted over FM radio; with an SE you can put it in accessory and easily play it through the car radio, with the SEL you will have difficulty using the car radio (since the car will be "on", including all the dash lights, even if it can't be driven). 

No problem here. I see your point on the difference. What you can do is turn it on, then turn it off. With the doors closed that gives you 10 minutes of power for the radio.

Some people (including dealers) seem to forget that the C-Max has to keep some power running at all times. To keep the door sensors for the keyless entry enabled, for example. It isn't much power, but the car does need to be driven periodically. I recall the owners' manual indicating once every three days or so, but I haven't read the manual lately (and I drive mine every day).

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#162 OFFLINE   TheBearAK

TheBearAK

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Pole, AK
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

Driving (and braking) recharges the battery; your dealer is correct that driving more will help keep the charge. They'll be able to explain this further. Please keep me in the loop with this.

Wrong battery.   The main, what I call the Drive battery, is fine.    The "start" battery is the one that goes dead on us.  Car is completely dead, cannot open the back, no lights and it will not start.  I carry a booster battery with me everywhere.

ps.  Wife went to pick up the Red C-Max and it wouldn't start.  It is still there.

Edited by TheBearAK, 04 June 2015 - 05:19 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#163 OFFLINE   Robert Fugate

Robert Fugate

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

You're not helping your case, if you use a booster battery everywhere you go. Unless you're going to live with it until you sell the car. Either keep contacting Ford about needing a jump/tow so they can possibly fix it, or check your state about your rights as far as it being a lemon.

#164 OFFLINE   cheezy

cheezy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMW
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

What is a lemon, anyway?  I think it's a very trouble prone car which has problems that, to date, have not been fixable, or are fixed and then reoccur/reappear.

Based on the original post, is that example of a C-Max a lemon, or representative of what we should expect of a C-Max or what we should expect of Ford?

Necro.

You are correct, there are certain parameters involved in the actual lemon law, and as described they are not met. 

It IS rather unbelievable that a Historical owner, self-reporting owning 6 previous Ford vehicles, does not know of a decent dealer and/or is NEVER buying another Ford vehicle again. Notice the band wagon filled up though........ :drool:  

#165 OFFLINE   Jenie Benson

Jenie Benson

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 65 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max Energi

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

Wondering if the original poster of this thread ever did get a buy back...

#166 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 695 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

This thread is as old as the Pinto.  The credibility of the OP was brought into question as she only made one post and never responded to any comments.

I suggest we put this one to bed.

• C-MaxSea likes this

#167 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2,022 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

xx 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 30 December 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#168 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:31 PM

Locking, there is no benefit of this thread. There are numerous other threads for the other CMax issues and postings should be made there, where it is relevant. Thanks :)

• ptjones, C-MaxSea and Adrian_L like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·