Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Battery dead

• Please log in to reply
1422 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Do you know if the USB port provides current all the time when the car is off? Maybe switching to a CL adapter would keep it from draining the battery (though it does seem a stretch to believe what they are saying). I have a device connected all the time to the front CL jack and never had any problems with the battery. I use the USB for charging my phone, but only when I am driving.

Edited by CNCGeek, 22 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Do you know if the USB port provides current all the time when the car is off? Maybe switching to a CL adapter would keep it from draining the battery (though it does seem a stretch to believe what they are saying). I have a device connected all the time to the front CL jack and never had any problems with the battery. I use the USB for charging my phone, but only when I am driving.

I have left my iPod Classic 160gb plugged in to USB continuously for several days without issue.

#23 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationWilmington, NC
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Well I had my iPod Connected for several weeks actually w/o any issue. I slapped a DVM on the battery when it was dead and it was only pushing ~5VDC. According to the Users manual, the vehical does supply current to the USB for 10 min after the ignition is turned off. Still... 10 min a couple times a day seems excessive to drain a battery.

I fully expect to find it drained again, even after following the reccomendations.

I should add... the real issue, as reported, is that if the vehical fails to go into "Sleep Mode" teh USB and other outlets will continue to charge/runn acessories and this is what they think drained the battery.

Edited by mbedit, 23 November 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   cgul

cgul

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationOpelika Alabama
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

I know we won't need this info for now but tells how to remove both the HVB and the 12 volt battery.

http://www.elvsoluti...moval_Final.pdf

#25 OFFLINE   aschofer

aschofer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York - Long Island
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max (as of 1st Nov 2012)

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't have any proof to support this, but I noticed when picking up my CMax a shut down procedure that differed from my Toyota Prius.

Prius, when powering off you apply your foot to the brake pedal, push in the Park button, then Power Off. When I followed this process with my CMax at the dealer - put transmission into Park, put foot on the brake and then pushing the PowerOff button, I noticed on the Synch Display that the car was going into a "Battery Save" mode. When asked, the salesman said that you do not put your foot on the brake when powering off the CMax.

This could be a reason so many people are experiencing Dead Batteries because they are putting their foot on the brake when shutting off/powering off the CMax. The "Battery Save" mode probably drains the battery until it's dead.

Hope it helps.

By the way, I have 900 miles on my CMax and no battery problems so far, knock on wood:)
  • jhritz likes this

#26 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

That may be good info aschofer... I will pay good attention to that procedure. thanks.

#27 OFFLINE   shadd

shadd

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

My battery died on my C-MAX this morning for the third time. This is after the dealership already replaced my original battery with a new battery after the first two times. The only thing I can think I did was leave my phone charger and usb plugged in over night.

#28 OFFLINE   aschofer

aschofer

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew York - Long Island
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C-Max (as of 1st Nov 2012)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

My battery died on my C-MAX this morning for the third time. This is after the dealership already replaced my original battery with a new battery after the first two times. The only thing I can think I did was leave my phone charger and usb plugged in over night.

shadd:

Sorry to hear about your battery problems. Try this with your new battery.

When you are ready to shut off the CMax, put your transmission into Park, pull up the Parking Brake Lever and then push the PowerOff button (without your foot on the brake pedal). I believe that if you keep your foot on the brake pedal when you press the Power Off button, I'm highly confident you are putting the CMax into a "Battery Save" mode which, to me, means the car has not been shut down correctly and is probably allowing the electronics to keep running, draining the battery.

When I picked up my CMax from the dealer, I noticed on the Synch Display that the car was going into a "Battery Save" mode when I kept my foot on the brake pedal when pushing Power Off button. When asked, the salesman said that you do not put your foot on the brake when powering off the CMax.

This could be a reason so many people are experiencing Dead Batteries because they are putting their foot on the brake when shutting off/powering off the CMax. The "Battery Save" mode probably drains the battery until it's dead.

Hope it helps.

By the way, I have 1,000 miles on my CMax and no battery problems so far, knock on wood:)

#29 OFFLINE   Bob999

Bob999

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I noticed the parking lights remained on after I thought I closed the door on the vehicle. Upon investigation I found a rear passenger door ajar. When I fully closed that door the parking lights switched off.

I don't know if the lights would have been turned off by the car at some point but the headlight delay time had been satisfied and they had switched off. So this behavior might contribute to the explanation of dead batteries.

Perhaps a related matter is the size of the low voltage battery. The Owners manual lists the battery as "BXT-96R-500 / BXT-96R-590" but when I checked the battery installed in my car I found a different size (73 I think but am not sure) and a very much lower capacity--390.
  • jhritz likes this

#30 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I would think that 390 CCA would not last long on a high compression hybrid like the C-Max. A factory screw-up maybe, they are built alongside the regular Focus? I will check to see my battery capacity.

#31 OFFLINE   C-MaxJaxon

C-MaxJaxon

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 251 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max SEL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I noticed the parking lights remained on after I thought I closed the door on the vehicle. Upon investigation I found a rear passenger door ajar. When I fully closed that door the parking lights switched off.

I've had the hatch do this a few times. I have to open and slam the hatch to get the lights to go out.

#32 OFFLINE   Bob999

Bob999

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I would think that 390 CCA would not last long on a high compression hybrid like the C-Max. A factory screw-up maybe, they are built alongside the regular Focus? I will check to see my battery capacity.

I will look forward to learning the size/capacity of the battery installed in your vehicle.

I'm not sure the 12v battery is used to start the gas engine--I understand a "good" 12v battery is necessary for the car to operate but as I understand it the car does not have a traditional starter--rather the motor/generator set in the transaxle functions as the starter and I think it is connected to the high voltage battery.

See description here: http://www1.eere.ene...poet_2012_p.pdf

#33 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I will look forward to learning the size/capacity of the battery installed in your vehicle.

I'm not sure the 12v battery is used to start the gas engine--I understand a "good" 12v battery is necessary for the car to operate but as I understand it the car does not have a traditional starter--rather the motor/generator set in the transaxle functions as the starter and I think it is connected to the high voltage battery.

See description here: http://www1.eere.ene...poet_2012_p.pdf

Thanks for the link, you analysis would make sense given the duty cycle demands on the start/stop components.

#34 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I don't know if the lights would have been turned off by the car at some point but the headlight delay time had been satisfied and they had switched off. So this behavior might contribute to the explanation of dead batteries.

Perhaps a related matter is the size of the low voltage battery. The Owners manual lists the battery as "BXT-96R-500 / BXT-96R-590" but when I checked the battery installed in my car I found a different size (73 I think but am not sure) and a very much lower capacity--390.

I too have the 390 CCA, no problems with starting yet.

#35 OFFLINE   StoBro2

StoBro2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLindenhurst IL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback w/handling pkg.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Another 390 CCA battery here, also no starting problems to report. According to FordParts.com, the 12V battery for the C-Max Hybrid is a BXT-67R, which is also used in the Fusion Hybrid and maybe some other applications. It's rated CCA is 390. Could the owner's manual have a typo?

#36 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Woke up this morning to a dead battery. Again. This is the 2nd time now. The 1st go Ford came back and said to make sure no accessories are left plugged in, which I was doing, so thats not it. Also, Had been making sure I don't press on the parking brake as mentioned above... so I'm pretty sure thats not the issue. I have to take a bit of that concept with some skepticism I think. A "Saving Mode" would imply to me that its actually trying to save the battery, and, in fact the battery-save mode is differentiated from "normal hybrid mode where the powertrain blends electric and gasoline engine power as appropriate ("EV Auto" setting); [to] a battery-saving mode that reserves the battery power for later use ("EV Later" setting)."

Which tells me that it should drive more on the gas engine, and not use the battery. 

Any how, the night before, something smelled like electrical shorting/burning, and I think in fact that something in the instrument panel is causing a short and draining the battery, which would be consistent with another poster who said they actually found an electrical issue. 

The good news was the Ford Roadside assistance was prompt, and the car started after a jump, and I took it back to the dealer, and they are going to try and dig deeper... I hope. 

#37 OFFLINE   RedLdr1

RedLdr1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 144 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX SEL 302A Package

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

The good news was the Ford Roadside assistance was prompt, and the car started after a jump, and I took it back to the dealer, and they are going to try and dig deeper... I hope. 

When I had the bad Instrument Panel one of the clues was that after jumping off the car everything appeared normal.  A car that needed jump started should at least show a low battery warning light until it is back up to full charge.... 

#38 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well, everything did seem normal after the jump. Both times now...  though I can't recall specifically looking for or seeing a low battery level when the roadside applied the jump to it. I suspect they will send me packing again, in which case I should probably plan to take some digital snaps of the panel when it starts on the jump next time, so I can provide more info to help the technicians solve the problem. I have a difficult time believing that leaving an iPod plugged in or pressing the Brake would cause the battery to mysteriously drain. Both times I've put a DVM on the 12VDC Battery and it has read 5.5VDC. The idea that there is an electrical short causing the problem makes more sense. 

#39 OFFLINE   RedLdr1

RedLdr1

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 144 posts
  • LocationMetro Atlanta
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-MAX SEL 302A Package

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

I have a difficult time believing that leaving an iPod plugged in or pressing the Brake would cause the battery to mysteriously drain.

I do not believe that claim for one minute...  I leave "stuff" (iPod, Cell phone, camera battery charger) plugged in all the time and have not had any issue.  And the brake issue would be Highlighted in the Owners Manual if that were the case...

#40 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

If you can't put your foot on the brake when shutting down Ford is going to have a hard time with this one.  Every single drivers training program for the past 50 years has been teaching people to have their foot on the brake when they put the car in park and shut down...

This is an absurd thing if it is indeed true, and Ford will have to change it.  No matter what the person does with the brake, shutdown button, or parking brake - the battery should not die overnight.

Nor should on a 2013 model year vehicle a door or reading light being left on kill the battery.  I have not owned a car since 2000 which didn't shut off the interior lights after a period of inactivity.  That is standard now, even my 2008 bottom-of-the-line no gucci features fleet model pickup truck does that.  The C-Max would be the first vehicle in a decade to not shut off the interior lights automatically to prevent a dead battery.

Things connected to the USB system should not either.  Most vehicles cut off power to the USB or 12v accessories after a certain amount of time - but even if they don't, only one night should not be enough drain to kill an auto battery unless you are powering a hair dryer from it...  Once a cell phone or some other small device is charged, they barely take a trickle of power.  I have left a GPS device plugged in and turned on in my camper 12v system for over a week without killing the battery.  It's just not that much power draw unless something is broken...

If a car that is only a month old has the battery die there is something wrong.  This should not happen, ever.

• Tripleoak likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·