Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battery dead

• Please log in to reply
1422 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationWilmington, NC
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

I agree valkraider. I like the C-Max, I really do. This is a bit of a downer, and I'm hopeful that ford will get to the actauly root of the problem and fix it. In the mean time they are making sure I have a vechical to drive at thier expense, but I'd rather have my car! I'll I can do is keep working the issue, which includes using sources like this forum to try and figure out whats going on. I guess Ford wants to take it in steps, but even the service manager at the dealer did not think that not plugging in acessories was a credible solution to the problem, but they apperently need to go on what the Service technicains they called for help at the Ford Corporate office say... So now with that solution debunked maybe they will get more serrious.

If my local dealer can't fix it, I'd honestly have no problems with them shipping back to the mother plant to get it repaired... but that seems unlikely. Need to play the game and keep records... in NC if they can't fix teh defect after 4 attempts, I can lemon law it. I'd hate to do that, but I also can't be calling for roadside assitance every other week to jump it.

• Tripleoak likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

I agree valkraider. I like the C-Max, I really do. This is a bit of a downer, and I'm hopeful that ford will get to the actauly root of the problem and fix it. In the mean time they are making sure I have a vechical to drive at thier expense, but I'd rather have my car! I'll I can do is keep working the issue, which includes using sources like this forum to try and figure out whats going on. I guess Ford wants to take it in steps, but even the service manager at the dealer did not think that not plugging in acessories was a credible solution to the problem, but they apperently need to go on what the Service technicains they called for help at the Ford Corporate office say... So now with that solution debunked maybe they will get more serrious.

If my local dealer can't fix it, I'd honestly have no problems with them shipping back to the mother plant to get it repaired... but that seems unlikely. Need to play the game and keep records... in NC if they can't fix teh defect after 4 attempts, I can lemon law it. I'd hate to do that, but I also can't betalling for roadside assitance every other week to jump it.

I would push them to give you another C-Max, its had this problem too often for a brand new vehicle. If they refuse get Ford corporate involved.

Edited by darrelld, 30 November 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Check Lemon Laws in your state.  Each state does them differently.

I missed a Lemon Law buyback by one month because I didn't know the correct process to follow, and I got stuck with a vehicle which was buggy...

#44 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

So, I called Ford and logged the concern. Apparently they say there isn't a record of this concern being raised. So if other people are having this issue, be sure to call the Ford Customer service and raise the concern so it gets the proper awareness. 

#45 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

An Update just as an FYI. The Ford dealer has spent a week now tearing through my C-Max, and they think they found a failed electrical module that was exhibiting an intermittent spike and leach on the electrical system, so they have ordered the the part and will replace the module and test to see that the spike has gone away. I'm optimistic that they dug in and really found the root cause on the second go around, and I have to believe that contacting Ford helped raise the concern and gave the dealer resources they needed to fix it. 

I probably won't get it back until next Tuesday, but I'd rather they really dig in and fix the problem.

• FoutsNC, salsaguy and rvc like this

#46 OFFLINE   RachelnLa

RachelnLa

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Glad it's being handled.

#47 OFFLINE   shadd

shadd

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Battery dead for me again this morning. Dealership didn't find any issues with it last time I took it in, battery was testing at factory standard. My rear hatch light was flickering when I got into the car this morning, which gave me the feeling it wasn't going to start.

I know for a fact I didn't have the brake pressed when I shut it off yesterday... nothing plugged in the outlets.

#48 OFFLINE   erwhitham

erwhitham

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 165 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIllinois
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max SEL 302a

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm loving my C-MAX, but as an early adopter and picky car owner I had paint flaws at the bottom of the doors....drips marks. Interrior mirror's back film was flawed and passanger front door was out of alignment. Dealer fixed all and gave me a loaner. Great dealer.

Now the irritating stuff. Put the car in reverse and it won't go until I shift to Park or N or D and return to reverse. Happened 8 times so far. Also, the multi-purpose center screen dies and nothing will work until I put it in reverse and the rear camera is displayed. Then then back to park or drive and then I get the radio and navigation again. Also, my "Green Leaf" display disappeared completely and then started working when I shut off the car and started again.

OK Ford....get your software engineers on this STAT. I hope this is not going to last for the next 10 years I hoped to own this thing.

I had the same experience with the screen and realize that the rear camera is somehow related to the car's overall functioning. My car also has run it's own "Check System" till car resumes normalcy. Reported this to my salesman and will have it checked out after Christmas.

#49 OFFLINE   Hybrid dude

Hybrid dude

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 153 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCambridge, MA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Battery and entire car dead again this morning. Haven't found any obvious cause. Will be calling roadside, jump, etc.

#50 OFFLINE   RachelnLa

RachelnLa

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Aww that's the pits.

#51 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Bought a CMAX SE last Monday, battery dead Sunday. Jumped by roadside assistance. Still starts tdoday. Bringing it to service on Wednesday. (I have not used the USB or other outlets. I do not have push button start).

Having read this and several other threads it is clear that there is a common problem afflicting more than a dozen owners who have posted on the web. How many more cars have exhibited similar problems is impossible to say. This is a common problem.

The problem is either defective batteries from a sub-par supplier or, possibly, an electrical malfunction elsewhere that discharges and fries the 12 volt battery. Whatever the root cause is, it is clearly a manufacturer's defect rather than a random problem. It is happening too often.

I have written to Ford and all who encounter this problem should also write to Ford about the problem. Go to the dealer for service, too, of course, but letting Ford hear about it should push them toward finding a  solution.

• Tripleoak likes this

#52 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Battery dead for me again this morning. Dealership didn't find any issues with it last time I took it in, battery was testing at factory standard. My rear hatch light was flickering when I got into the car this morning, which gave me the feeling it wasn't going to start.

I know for a fact I didn't have the brake pressed when I shut it off yesterday... nothing plugged in the outlets.

With that flickering hatch light, wouldn't that indicate that the hatch wasn't closed fully and that drained the battery?  I think that I have read another person found the battery dead after a door wasn't fully closed.  One wouldn't think that the battery should die with a door ajar or a hatch not fully closed, but it looks like that may be happening.

Edited by Laurel, 24 December 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   PWBarrett

PWBarrett

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 213 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationPlano, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SEL

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

After reading all of these, I just went out and bought a rechargeable jump-starter.

Maybe that'll get Murphy's law to work in my favor and prevent the problem from happening.

(I know, Murphy's law doesn't work that way.)

#54 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hubby was watching the Shopping Chanel and bought two of these.  Mixed reviews about whether they actually work, but I have one in my C-Max  http://www.theshoppi...ls?nav=R:510483

#55 OFFLINE   andrewwx

andrewwx

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 44 posts
  • LocationVentura California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-max SEL

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

I bought my portable jumper at Costco. I have had to use it three times so far. It works great. Since it does not have to turn a starter motor it actually needs very little juice from the portable jumper.

I thought I had the problem licked when they found that my original battery had a fault in it. I will bring it in again and hope they can find the deeper problem.

#56 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 624 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Make sure to call Ford about this. This is way way wrong on a new vehicle.

Also - if you can, call Ford roadside assistance and let them come "jump-start" you. Maybe the more exposure Ford gets about this the sooner they will act.

#57 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

More of an update. My C-max has been in the dealer shop for 3 weeks now, and it looks like it will be a full month with no resolution of the problem. They are seeing an intermittent spike, but have been unable to trace the actual source of it down. Ford has had a Service engineer down from Detroit Twice now, and even the FSE has said that if they run out of ideas they will sign off on a buyback. 

I never brought up the buy back, so I decided I need to find a Lemon Law Lawyer and get a consultation. I think I'm at the point that if they can't get the problem resolved after being in the shop for a month, its time to move on. 

If it makes any difference, mine was just a base model, using a key, w/no start/Stop button. 

I've heard that with a start/stop, if you forget to press the stop you can drain your battery, but I don't see how that can be the case with a keyed version. 

and as Valkraider says, be sure and call Ford to log the case, if they don't have the data, they don't think there is an issue.

#58 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

More of an update. My C-max has been in the dealer shop for 3 weeks now, and it looks like it will be a full month with no resolution of the problem. They are seeing an intermittent spike, but have been unable to trace the actual source of it down. Ford has had a Service engineer down from Detroit Twice now, and even the FSE has said that if they run out of ideas they will sign off on a buyback. 

I never brought up the buy back, so I decided I need to find a Lemon Law Lawyer and get a consultation. I think I'm at the point that if they can't get the problem resolved after being in the shop for a month, its time to move on. 

If it makes any difference, mine was just a base model, using a key, w/no start/Stop button. 

I've heard that with a start/stop, if you forget to press the stop you can drain your battery, but I don't see how that can be the case with a keyed version. 

and as Valkraider says, be sure and call Ford to log the case, if they don't have the data, they don't think there is an issue.

I would take the buy back as soon as possible.

What do you plan to replace with?

#59 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Dear mbedit

Would you please (if you feel comfortable doing so) post some more information about your contacts with Ford? For example, the name and contact info for the Service Engineer or anyone else at Ford you think was helpful? Or the name of the dealership you have been using for service?

My CMAX SE is at the shop today. On Sunday the 12 volt battery was dead. It was jumped by roadside assistance on Sunday and it started on Monday, Tuesday, and today. I told the service manager what had happened and also told him that at least 15 reports of battery problems have been loggedon forums. His computer shows no service advisories from Ford.

Thanks

• Tripleoak likes this

#60 OFFLINE   FoutsNC

FoutsNC

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • LocationApex, NC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi 302A

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Make sure to call Ford about this. This is way way wrong on a new vehicle.

Also - if you can, call Ford roadside assistance and let them come "jump-start" you. Maybe the more exposure Ford gets about this the sooner they will act.

I haven't had any issues yet (knocking on wood) with my battery, yet I have to second what valkraider is saying here.  Don't just jump the car, call Ford Roadside Assistance and have them jump you.  If nothing else, I would call and log the issue and then callback to cancel the call once you jump it.  You may also want to call into your local Ford Service Department and let them know.  If they don't know what's going on, they can't react to it.  Ford wants their hybrid line to be successful and I think they are doing what they can to make it right.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·