Custom Search

Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford C-MAX Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Posted Image

Guest Message by DevFuse

Click here to become a C-MAX Platinum member

Photo

Battery dead

• Please log in to reply
1381 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

I am on the phone with Ford corporate customer service (800-392-3673) telling them about my problem and telling them that I know they sent a service engineer to work on a similar problem in Wilmington NC. The agent has taken my information and has me on hold now while I gather she is talking to someone about it.

Please call and write to Ford. Writing is always better because it gives you a paper trail. I have written once already and will write again now that I know they have already heard about the problem enought to send a service engineer to one dealer.

I'll post an update when I have more info.

• Tripleoak and Triple Ford Owner like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Ford corporate says a customer service manager will call me back tomorrow. They will check their database for reports of battery/electrical trouble.

I did find out that Ford maintains a "hotline" for service departments to call Ford for technical advice. It probably makes sense for anyone with a battery problem to ask their dealer's service department to call this hotline.

#63 OFFLINE   Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

We have had our CMAX for a month, and 1 morning totally dead.  Ford Roadside assistance was great and a tow truck jumped it.  No signs of anything left on overnite.  Now the windows aren't going up correctly and drivers door doesn't lock with the remote.  Car going to dealer next week.  I've read somewhere of faulty instrument panels, anybody else have similar problems?

Thanks for your reply.

#64 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Jeffrey

Please call Ford's corporate customer service in addition to going to your dealer. There is obviously a battery and/or electrical flaw in the CMAX and Ford needs to hear about it. So far, Ford has not alerted its dealers & service centers to any issues, and the service centers think each car coming in is a unique case.

My car is spending the night at the dealer. The service rep told me the battery tested within specs but was not fully charged. They charged it and want to run the car for a day to see what happens. They have not yet tested the alternator or the rest fo the electrical system to figure out why the battery did not have a full charge, but I have asked them to do so, and also to call Ford Manufacturing's hotline for its service centers.

#65 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 610 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

On Ford vehicles there is a procedure to reset the power window behavior. Look for that, I don't know what it is though.

#66 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

After 4000 miles and three months I had my first dead battery this morning too.

Like someone else mentioned my hatch/dome lights were flashing. Dash displays and radio would not turn on. After a jump from my wife's car everything seemed fine. I hope it doesn't happen again.

#67 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,439 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

See page 97 of the owner's manual. It says you must re-set the bounce-back memory for each window after the battery has been disconnected (maybe dead battery too?). I guess your car needs to have the bounce-back features if page 97 is to apply to your situation which I gather would only be SEL.

#68 OFFLINE   dtorres

dtorres

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Laurel" data-cid="4742" data-time="1356582517"><p>
See page 97 of the owner's manual. It says you must re-set the bounce-back memory for each window after the battery has been disconnected (maybe dead battery too?). I guess your car needs to have the bounce-back features if page 97 is to apply to your situation which I gather would only be SEL.</p></blockquote>

After my battery died this morning the auto up/down feature of the windows wasn't working (on an SE model). I had to follow the procedure in the manual to reprogram each window one at a time. :-[

#69 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Update on my CMAX SE:

The service manager did not know that the battery gauge on the dashboard is for the high voltage Lithium Ion battery for the hybrid engine and not for the 12 Volt!!!! So all he has done is charge the 12 volt with a plug in charger and declared that he cannot find a problem. I asked him to check the alternator to make sure it is charging the 12 volt battery and to check the electrical system for a power drain or short - I do not think he is doing it.

I called Ford corporate customer service again to update my file. Ford's central number is 800-392-3673. They say they will call me back today by 3PM Pacific Time.

Please be sure to call Ford directly about any problem with the battery and/or electrical system. Call Ford as well as your dealer. It is Ford's central corporate and manufacturing arm that has to figure out the problem and the solution.

• Triple Ford Owner likes this

#70 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Update on my CMAX SE:

The service manager did not know that the battery gauge on the dashboard is for the high voltage Lithium Ion battery for the hybrid engine and not for the 12 Volt!!!! So all he has done is charge the 12 volt with a plug in charger and declared that he cannot find a problem. I asked him to check the alternator to make sure it is charging the 12 volt battery and to check the electrical system for a power drain or short - I do not think he is doing it.

I called Ford corporate customer service again to update my file. Ford's central number is 800-392-3673. They say they will call me back today by 3PM Pacific Time.

Please be sure to call Ford directly about any problem with the battery and/or electrical system. Call Ford as well as your dealer. It is Ford's central corporate and manufacturing arm that has to figure out the problem and the solution.

Thanks for the update. If available, should we look for a Ford Certified EV dealer for these types of issues? Might be a good question for Ford Corporate to answer and save owners a lot of hassle.

Edited by darrelld, 27 December 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yes, one of the questions I have pending in my file at Ford HQ is whether the service personnel have been trained to handle hybrids. My guess is that they must have been trained. Ford has sold hybrids for several years already. But clearly there are flaws in the systems, both the training system and the electrical systems.

By the way, I am doing some more searching on the web and it looks to me like the Ford Focus CMAX that has been sold in the UK as a gas & diesel engine model has reports of its 12 volt battery going dead, too. Posters on those UK blogs say that there is a "smart" charging system in the engines ECU. I wonder if there is a clue in that story. Depends on whether the sysytem was changed for the  new hybrid models sold in the US.

#72 OFFLINE   Bob999

Bob999

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I asked him to check the alternator to make sure it is charging the 12 volt battery and to check the electrical system for a power drain or short - I do not think he is doing it.

The CMAX doesn't have a traditional alternator.  As I understand the system the high voltage battery is charged by motor generators located in the transaxle.  Then there is an electronic circuit that converts the high voltage power to charge the 12 v battery.

Edited by Bob999, 27 December 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

The CMAX doesn't have a traditional alternator.  As I understand the system the high voltage battery is charged by motor generators located in the transaxle.  Then there is an electronic circuit that converts the high voltage power to charge the 12 v battery.

Thanks. That is helpful - something i did not know and the service manager apparently also did not know. I am going to try to do some reading about this. The converter that charges the 12 volt battery from the high voltage Lithium Ion battery would seem to be one of the first things to check when 12 volts start washing ashore dead.

#74 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 770 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL 302A

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Here is a pdf that describes some of the electrical components.

https://skydrive.liv...APyFF4INq4NvEZQ

Page 7 briefly describes the DC/DC converter that charges the 12v battery. Seems like a rudimentary check to make certain this works.

Edited by darrelld, 27 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

yes, hybrids generally charge the 12 volt battery with a step down converter that converts power from the high voltage battery.

seems like one of the first things to check after bench testing a battery.

#76 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Here is a pdf that describes some of the electrical components.

https://skydrive.liv...APyFF4INq4NvEZQ

Page 7 briefly describes the DC/DC converter that charges the 12v battery. Seems like a rudimentary check to make certain this works.

thanks for the post.

yes, a rudimentary check if the service manager and/or mechanic are plugged in.

#77 OFFLINE   mbedit

mbedit

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Called the Ford Customer Service to get an update from Ford, the Service Rep said that they got a second call linking the two now, so I'm assuming that was yours Salman, so thats the kind of traction needed to get the attention. 

Basically, the technicians at the dealer are stumped, but the regional FSE thinks they can locate and fix the problem. Hopefully, soon. I'm hoping that they find it fix it, and it solves similar issues others are having, In the mean time, I'm collecting paper work and talking to a lawyer.

#78 OFFLINE   Laurel

Laurel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,439 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I have a question concerning all of these dead batteries in the C-Max.  Is it possible that people are not actually turning their cars off?  I find the hybrid system so different that it is easy to make mistakes.  I came home once and drove into the garage, thought I had turned the car off, and exited.  Because there is no sound of an engine running I thought I had pushed the button, but when I did a sideways glance at the instrument panel, everything was still on.  Normally everything stays lit up until you open the car door and then starts to power off if you have turned the car off.  It would have been very easy for me to walk away from my car thinking I had turned it off--if I had been distracted in the least--that is exactly what I would have done.  But because I was not distracted I did notice that all the gauges were not powering off when I opened the driver's door.  Or perhaps double pushing the button when you turn the car off is another possibility as that puts the car into accessory mode.  I notice our running lights stay on when our car is in accessory mode i.e. I jump out to get the mail and hubby sits and listens to music and I notice the running lights are on when I come back.  I would think that would drain the 12 v battery fairly quickly.

#79 OFFLINE   salman

salman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have a question concerning all of these dead batteries in the C-Max.  Is it possible that people are not actually turning their cars off?  I find the hybrid system so different that it is easy to make mistakes.

My car operates with a key as do several of the others that have experienced dead 12 volt batteries. No chance of our having left the car turned on by accident.

Edited by salman, 27 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#80 OFFLINE   valkraider

valkraider

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 610 posts
  • LocationPortland
  • My C-MAX's Color:Blue Candy
  • Current Vehicle:Energi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

It shouldn't matter. Every car made in the last decade has had battery protection where lights or other systems shut off after a certain period of inactivity. My 20 year old Taurus as big of a POS as it was, wouldn't kill the battery if you left the key on. It would shut down after like an hour of inactivity or whatever.

Now especially with that huge battery able to charge te 12v system - it just flat out shouldn't be a problem even if the door is left open, or lights are left on. Things should shut off before the 12v system is drained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users