Order to Delivery Time Thread

ScooterS

Model: C-MAX Hybrid SEL (302A)

Original Estimate: 6-8 weeks

Current Estimate: Scheduled to Week (7/29/2013)

Ordered at Dealer: 5/18/2013

Order Placed at Factory: 5/24/2013

VIN: 6/14/2013

Window Sticker Available: TBD

Build Date: TBD

Actual Delivery: TBD

State: MD (dealer in VA)

Model: C-MAX Hybrid SEL (302A)

Original Estimate: 6-8 weeks

Current Estimate: Scheduled to Day (7/11/2013)

Ordered at Dealer: 5/18/2013

Order Placed at Factory: 5/24/2013

VIN: 6/14/2013

Window Sticker Available: 6/28/2013

Build Date: 7/11/2013

ETA: 7/29/2013

Actual Delivery: TBD

State: MD (dealer in VA)

Edited by MadManMoon

I emailed the dealer yesterday asking if we have a vin for our Cmax that is scheduled to be built on 7/15. This is the response I got.

" Hey Mark,

The VIN is issued the day the vehicle is invoiced and built. The build date is still scheduled for 07.15 and nothing has changed since the last time I checked the order, everything seems to be moving along as scheduled.

It is possible a VIN may be available as early as the 14th depending on what shift it is scheduled to be built during.  But unless the production date is moved up, the VIN# won't be available before then.

I will keep monitoring the order and advise you of any changes.  If you don't hear from me it means nothing has changed.  As soon as I get a VIN# for the unit, I will email it to you.

Thanks and have a great weekend!"

"The VIN is issued the day the vehicle is invoiced and built."

The input from many, many users here, including myself above, seem to contradict that particular statement.  Might want to find someone else at that dealership that will help you.  If you have a Twitter account, I've found that contacting the Ford Service account (@FordService) will yield you near-immediate results (the account is monitored Monday-Friday from 8AM to 8PM Eastern).  You can send them a Direct Message (DM) if you don't want to broadcast your order number/VIN to all of Twitter.  Just give them your order number and dealer code and they can look up the VIN for you.

He is the sales manager at the dealer. I have told him in the past that I have been in contact with other people who have also ordered via this forum. I am going to send him an email telling him that I have seen information to the contrary. Not only on the Cmax forum, but other Ford model forums as well. Others seem to be able to get their vin numbers weeks before the build date.

The input from many, many users here, including myself above, seem to contradict that particular statement.  Might want to find someone else at that dealership that will help you.  If you have a Twitter account, I've found that contacting the Ford Service account (@FordService) will yield you near-immediate results (the account is monitored Monday-Friday from 8AM to 8PM Eastern).  You can send them a Direct Message (DM) if you don't want to broadcast your order number/VIN to all of Twitter.  Just give them your order number and dealer code and they can look up the VIN for you.

Thanks for the Twitter reminder. I read that somewhere else but I guess I forgot about it. I contacted them today and they said it has an eta to dealer of 8/15. Waiting to see if they have info on the vin. Thanks!

Update : Got a second response from @Fordservice on twitter. They have given me a vin number. I have emailed the dealer (included the vin #) questioning his statement that the vin is issued on the day of build. Waiting for response.

Edited by slampro

Below is the email I sent him along with the response....

My email:  "I don't quite understand. As you know I have been in contact with others that have ordered a Cmax. I know of two people who have ordered as much as 2 weeks after us. They both say they have a vin number issued, and an eta. Build dates one is the 11th, the other said theirs is scheduled for the same day as ours . I don't think they have any reason to be lying, nor do I think you are. Searching past posts from people who have ordered, going back to Jan. of this year, there are many posts of others having a vin 2 weeks or even more before the build. I have been to and visited many many forums for Ford cars. I have been on the FEH, F150, Ranger, Cmax and even Mustang owners forums. On those forums there are ordering/tracking threads. I don't understand why on all of those forums people are reporting getting a vin number as much as a month before the actual build.

After talking with some of the other owners, they informed me about @Fordservice on Twitter. I Sent a private Twitter message to Fordservice. They have told me that my ETA to dealer is 8/15. They have also given me a vin number of xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Ford could do a much better job at allowing customers to track their build. I can track a $10 book order from Amazon, much better and easier than a $30,000 car. "

Response: "Mark, I completely understand your frustration in this matter.  It is possible that they are checking directly with Ford the way you did.  I cannot confirm the VIN# you have given me as of yet through my system as being yours, however if that is the information Ford gave you, I would have no reason to doubt it.

Rest assured, everything I have told you in this process is the truth.  I have no reason to be untruthful to you or anyone else.  I can only provide you the information Ford provides the dealership.  I believe it to be a bit premature for them to have already given you a dealer ETA, especially with the transit issues Ford is currently facing, however that information did come from them.  I would not bet money on that ETA at this point before the unit is even produced.  But then again, that is your choice.

You can search the vehicle threads and obtain whatever information you wish.  I will only give you information that comes to me through official Ford Motor Co. channels.  I have sent an inquiry to Ford and forwarded them a copy of your email.  As soon as they respond to my request, I will be in contact with you."

Update: Got an email today 7/3. Dealer verified vin # .

Edited by slampro

I am willing to bet that you can go register on the Ford Owners Web Site, using that VIN.  If that works, then it sounds like someone at your dealer doesn't know what he or she is doing. 

If that's the case, it is probably best to just let it go.  You want to keep them working with you to conclude your purchase.  No point in throwing it in the dealer's face. 

I am willing to bet that you can go register on the Ford Owners Web Site, using that VIN.  If that works, then it sounds like someone at your dealer doesn't know what he or she is doing. 

If that's the case, it is probably best to just let it go.  You want to keep them working with you to conclude your purchase.  No point in throwing it in the dealer's face. 

I just signed up at that site using the vin. :happy feet:

I am not really trying to throw anything in the sales managers face. I do however want them to know that I know what I am talking about though. I don't like it when I know someone gives me false information.

I feel like some progress has been made today, no thanks to the dealer.

Many thanks to this forum! :rockon:

Model: C-MAX Hybrid SEL (303A)

Estimated: 6-8 weeks

Ordered at Dealer: 5/09/2013

VIN: 7/01/2013

Window Sticker Available: 7/12

Build Date: Scheduled for 7/18

Actual Delivery: ETA 8/15-TBD

State: TX

I checked for window sticker at 1am on 7/12. So I am guessing the system updated at midnight. Yeah for window sticker, one step closer. :happy feet:

Edited by slampro

• 2 weeks later...

I waited until after 5pm on the day the window sticker became available. After not hearing from the dealer, I have emailed him. I told him I was going to give him an update. ;)

I told him the sticker is available, blend date is 7/18, and eta is 8/15.

I'm not sure why it's so important to prove to your dealer you have more info than they do. just as its not really that good to tell the techs you know more about an service issue than they do. it might be true but i guarantee they hate this. i also don't see what having your VIN does for the customer as its just a number. I'm sure dealers don't like customers having access to stuff or sites that shouldn't if they are normally only for dealer access. until the car arrives it does no good to harass them about your car.it gets there when it does. and you don't get it until they  ddetail it anyways. dealers are busy trying to sell more cars not check on a number for you.i agree the mfgs SHOULD make it easier for customers to track their orders but they don't. I'm sure the minority of folks here on the forums are greatly outnumbered by those not in the know about these tracking methods and are happy just waiting till they get a call from their dealer. is it really that big a deal?

It's not about showing up the dealer or what not. Over the past 20 years my family have bought about 20 cars or so, mostly Ford's, mostly brand new, mostly from this same dealer off the lot. This is the first time we have ordered. Matter of fact we just bought a used car off their lot a couple days ago for our daughter. I have spoken to the sales manager, and he understands. He agrees that Ford should do a better job allowing customers to follow their order. He thought it was funny(and kinda sad) that I could track it better than he could. He has told me that he would update me as soon as he got new info. I told him I would do the same. It is a good relationship, and the dealer is not showing any signs of being upset. Our service advisor loves that we are so informed about our car. I taught them more about the Escape hybrid(from a customer point of view) then they got from training.

I'll echo what slampro said.  My ordering dealer, Sheehy Ford of Springfield, has been happy for me to get my updates from elsewhere, and agree that customers, especially those that order custom vehicles, should have better insight into their vehicle's status.  I feel much better bugging the @FordService Twitter account more often, as that's what they're there for -- the dealer is trying to sell other cars to other people!

My service dealership, Waldorf Ford, loves the fact that I know so much about the cars that I can point them to the proper TSB, or even to the relevant forums where the issue is described in detail.  It makes my service writer's job easier, and it ultimately makes the tech's job easier!

I guess, in the end, it depends on your dealer and their attitudes.  I feel fortunate to have found both a selling dealer and a service dealer within a one-hour drive that I can trust.

Model: C-Max Hybrid SEL

Date Ordered: Tuesday  6/11/13

Promised Delivery: 4 - 6 weeks

Actual Delivery Date: 8/15/13

State:NJ

I contacted the dealership owner/manager questioning the delay.  That very same day I got a call from my salesman telling me my car was there.  Coincidence?  Either way, I love it!

Edited by Fiona

• 3 weeks later...

Model: C-MAX Hybrid SEL (302A)
Original Estimate: 6-8 weeks
Ordered at Dealer: 5/18/2013
Order Placed at Factory: 5/24/2013
VIN Assigned: 6/14/2013
Window Sticker Available: 6/28/2013
Build Date: 7/11/2013
ETA: 7/29/2013

Actual Arrival at Dealer: 8/6/2013

State: MD (dealer in VA)

Figured I'd update this one last time as another data point for those who are anxiously awaiting their orders and want some idea of what it took!